Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Got the mi5 yesterday I ordered for the wife for Xmas. Stunning phone and am very jealous of it. Got it from top one and got them to put the Miui8 global Rom on it. Was setting it up last night and saw Ireland isn't listed in the location setting, UK either. Vaguely remember reading something here about it but can't find it. Is there a fix for this or does it not really hamper the phone.

Yes it was me that posted that, but as the previous poster said just pick the nearest but just in case you're as ocd as me, you can download the app "More Locale 2" from the App store and then select Ireland. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Geekbuying seem to continuously have phones on sale 'ends in 2 days, and a countdown clock'. Am I right to say that the phones are always at this price?
    Example- http://www.geekbuying.com/item/LeTV-LeEco-Le-Max-2-X820-4GB-32GB-Smartphone---Rose-Gold-374437.html

Better to use Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizare too?
    Lastly should I go for the ES stock, presuming that's shipping from Spain?
    I've checked and it seems it's 4G compatible with Meteor in Ireland.

I'm going to order this weekend but want to be sure before biting the bullet.

Thanks,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Yes it was me that posted that, but as the previous poster said just pick the nearest but just in case you're as ocd as me, you can download the app "More Locale 2" from the App store and then select Ireland. Hope this helps.

I've received my mi5- has anyone any suggestions re spare charger/ car charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

How long does it take for good Chinese manfacturers like UMI to release new phones with the latest android (7/.1 in this case)?
    In the market for something to replace a SU6 in 2017. I want to wait to get 7.1 as it seems more of a polished upgrade from 6.0. compared from 5.1 to 6.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

That's the post alright. I'll stick that app on if it causes problems. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Geekbuying seem to continuously have phones on sale 'ends in 2 days, and a countdown clock'. Am I right to say that the phones are always at this price?
    Example- http://www.geekbuying.com/item/LeTV-LeEco-Le-Max-2-X820-4GB-32GB-Smartphone---Rose-Gold-374437.html

Better to use Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizare too?
    Lastly should I go for the ES stock, presuming that's shipping from Spain?
    I've checked and it seems it's 4G compatible with Meteor in Ireland.

I'm going to order this weekend but want to be sure before biting the bullet.

Thanks,
    Pa
    Best not to use PM/PW if getting it from China as if its hit for customs they will refuse it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Dealsmachine have the Mi4C on special at 118.99usd ( €112 )

Seems a great price for a decent phone.

5.0 inch XIAOMI Mi4C 4G Smartphone Android 5.1 Snapdragon 808 64-bit Hexa Core 1.44GHz 13.0MP + 5.0MP Dual Camera 16GB ROM GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Dont know if anyone here has problems with Doogee phones but so far my experience with these phones if anyone is thinking of buying:

Doogee vanlencia 2 y100 plus purchased june 2016, this one hasnt been to bad but camera not good, hard to keep focus , the N on keyboard playing up for some reason,seems to work better with my thumb ?

Doogee x5 pro, purchased Sep 2016, this has been a pain, will now only play out of one ear , no matter what earphones are in, more annoying is the no signal in last month, no reception at home were as all other phones in house full bars signal (all vodafone) will pick up signal in town but soon as you go into a shop signal gone,tried new sim no joy, the seller did give me a refund of £30 for earphone problem this was before signal problem.
    If anyone has any advice on above would appreciate it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

In all honesty, if you but cheap you'll have problems.

Doggee are a brand full of problems, they throw one out every other week without every adding to the phones they have. No support, no updates.

Stick to the big brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

RossieMan wrote: »
    In all honesty, if you but cheap you'll have problems.

Doggee are a brand full of problems, they throw one out every other week without every adding to the phones they have. No support, no updates.

Stick to the big brands.
    Proberly right there, lesson learned,but you always thing how bad can they be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

I've been using the doogee x5 pro since march... Have had a few ups and downs freezing keyboard not responding properly phone shutting down have two sims from the same network and one will drop where the other will have full bars etc but it was a tester Chinese phone for me and it was cheap so wasn't expecting much... Camera is brutal very bad images and half the time when using certain apps video is very bad...(it is a cheap phone). Have upgraded now to the xiaomi redmi note 3 pro and its tonnes ahead of the doogee in terms of speed and responding... Camera I've noticed is OK images are a bit grainy but maybe have to play around wit settings etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

seems normal enough price wise for a Mi Max...

It has been like that for a few weeks anyway - they don't necessarily have them in stock for anyone looking to order

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KeDXscll.jpg

Thanks Mr Chinaman for saving me from those electromagnet waves with this real gold. Also thanks for a headphone plug with a case for a device that doesnt have a headphone jack...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Just to chime in - I bought a Redmi Note 3 via oppomart - arrived Friday - had to do the flash to world rom - class phone (little larger than my last one) E135 delivered - oppomart offer Europe shipping so no vat customs etc - only issue is that it refuses to communicate with the Horizon wifi at home - seemingly an issue not just mine - will work on other wifi networks! Liked oppomart - plenty on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

I was going to let my seller (goldway aliexpress) install the official global rom and google play store and have the stock rom and maybe later down the line id instal the CyanogenMod custom rom, but if i ask the seller to install CyanogenMod, im presuming he probably wouldn't install it, right?

I'm just clarifying before i pull the trigger tonight, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Finally got rid of the vendor rom that was on the redmi note 4. Big difference to the phone. Was scared I'd brick it as I had never flashed one before. Turned out it was simple enough to do, put Nova launcher on it and sorted. Overall now very happy with the phone. Camera not great but no worse than the Vodafone su6 and knew that would be the case before I bought.

The vendor rom really did the phone no favours at all.Can't believe the difference. So either buy with the actual global rom, or be prepared to do some downloading and installing yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

vkid wrote: »
    Finally got rid of the vendor rom that was on the redmi note 4. Big difference to the phone. Was scared I'd brick it as I had never flashed one before. Turned out it was simple enough to do, put Nova launcher on it and sorted. Overall now very happy with the phone. Camera not great but no worse than the Vodafone su6 and knew that would be the case before I bought.

The vendor rom really did the phone no favours at all.Can't believe the difference. So either buy with the actual global rom, or be prepared to do some downloading and installing yourself!

that's good to hear and thanks for the reply. Will order now with official global rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its so bloody hard to brick a phone, all the instructions are clear as day tbf, I know people are afraid of it but in years of messing with rooting, custom recoveries, custom roms and general messing, I've bricked one phone and it was still recoverable. There's really nothing to be afraid of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

That's good to hear, I'm afraid to do it myself, so might give it a go.. Still worried i'l brick it....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Kamili wrote: »
    That's good to hear, I'm afraid to do it myself, so might give it a go.. Still worried i'l brick it....

It's harder to brick it than to unlock a bootloader, install a new recovery and a new rom.

The only way anything can go wrong is if you restart the device during the recovery flash process, and that takes like 0.4 seconds so you probably won't. After that, you'll always have the fallback of the bootloader to install the recovery again, or the recovery to install the ROM again.

Not an offer but would ye allow another user to install a recovery and a ROM through remote access? Would be fairly secure if done through a Virtual Machine I think

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

Does anyone have a link to the instructions you used. I've ordered a Mi Note 2 from Oppomart and requested a stock Rom but I reckon the odds of getting one are slim

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I got the Redmi 4 Pro for the Mrs and Top One put a custom rom on it, it's working fine and currently there isn't an official international Rom for this model but once released I will want to replace the vendor rom but is there folders I need to back up with user data like photos chats etc as I'm sure it will wipe everything when you do this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Very chuffed with myself, managed to do the same tonight, had to apply to get the phone unlocked, filled the form Friday got the go-ahead today! And followed the reddit xiaomi wiki page which gives a step by step and it was actually easy! Took all of about 15 minutes total! Dunno what page I was looking at before but it was a feckin mess trying to follow the instructions, was 2 hours on the computer one day trying to do it and couldn't! Got it grand this evening though! Official global rom on my phone now. Delighted! (I know they step it out for you but for a non techie who hates technology at the best of times it's a big win!😉)

Edit: typo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

What's the best ROM for the redmi pro 3 global version??? It has the miui global 8.0...

It's harder to brick it than to unlock a bootloader, install a new recovery and a new rom.

The only way anything can go wrong is if you restart the device during the recovery flash process, and that takes like 0.4 seconds so you probably won't. After that, you'll always have the fallback of the bootloader to install the recovery again, or the recovery to install the ROM again.

Not an offer but would ye allow another user to install a recovery and a ROM through remote access? Would be fairly secure if done through a Virtual Machine I think

Ok I am gonna go do it

is this the best link of instructions to follow? https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/index

its a redmi note 4, anything I need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Kamili wrote: »
    Ok I am gonna go do it

is this the best link of instructions to follow? https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/index

its a redmi note 4, anything I need to know?
    Mine's a redmi note 4, I had to apply to unlock it on the miui site - en.miui.com/unlock/
    I found a link on the miui site itself about unlocking the bootloader, it even talks you through applying for it, I think you sign it with your Mi account, and fill in your details and give them a reason to unlock it - i literally told them there was a vendor rom on the phone and I wanted to flash an original rom onto it and wait then till they text to say you have permission. I think you have to download an app to your computer, put your phone into fast boot (press volume down and power until the little guy comes up) and connect it to pc and run the app to unlock it - only takes minutes! Took about 2 days to get the text to say I could unlock it, then I followed that link you have above to flash original rom.. that itself only took about 15 mins! I'm not techie at all and I followed it fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi again,

Last, last question before I buy- anyone used http://www.alegrecompra.com ?

They have the LeEco Max 2 6GB & 64GB for €250, shipped from China. The same from Geekbuying is €322 from China.

Thanks again,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Mine's a redmi note 4, I had to apply to unlock it on the miui site - en.miui.com/unlock/
    I found a link on the miui site itself about unlocking the bootloader, it even talks you through applying for it, I think you sign it with your Mi account, and fill in your details and give them a reason to unlock it - i literally told them there was a vendor rom on the phone and I wanted to flash an original rom onto it and wait then till they text to say you have permission. I think you have to download an app to your computer, put your phone into fast boot (press volume down and power until the little guy comes up) and connect it to pc and run the app to unlock it - only takes minutes! Took about 2 days to get the text to say I could unlock it, then I followed that link you have above to flash original rom.. that itself only took about 15 mins! I'm not techie at all and I followed it fine :)

perfect thanks! I've applied to unlock the bootloader so hopefully I will get something back and take it from there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement