Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Just checked my statement - €154.72 was the sum total I paid, shipped and all

I take it you did not have to pay VAT when it was delivered then ? If it is stopped by customs they add the VAT and you have to pay a handling charge on top of that.

Bargain for 154.72 if you got away with it, but not everybody will be as lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Would something like a red my note 3 be a better phone, spec wise, than a oneplus 1?

I had something in mind for a oneplus 1 but at this stage the spec is getting quite old and I'm wondering would a sub 200e phone be better at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

jozi wrote: »
    Would something like a red my note 3 be a better phone, spec wise, than a oneplus 1?

I had something in mind for a oneplus 1 but at this stage the spec is getting quite old and I'm wondering would a sub 200e phone be better at this stage?

The phones compared here.

corkie wrote: »
    The phones compared here.

I had a look there and I can see similarities but what I don't know is how the chipsets compare against each other

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jozi wrote: »
    I had a look there and I can see similarities but what I don't know is how the chipsets compare against each other

The 801 is a top tier but older chip, the 650 is a mid tier but *newer* chip. Go for the Xiaomi (Special Edition!!) for 4G+ support. Doesnt matter a huge amount now but it'll become ever more beneficial over time.

• Advertisement

That's the thing I've no idea how old top tier compares to new mid range. I've decided to get rid of the oneplus anyway, by the time Im ready for the project it was intended for I'll have a new phone or something like the red mi note will be better and quite cheap.

I've also decided to go for a mi5 now. I can't decided is the mi5s worth the little extra for slightly better spec? I think I like the look of the mi5 over the mi5s more, need to check some reviews I the pc screen.

I'll check back over the there but if anyone replying could mention where to buy that would be handy :D I'm not to fussed about which room it has, I might flash cyanogen our stock miui one I've received the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

So bought a xaoimi redmi 3 pro from goldway, came with google play installed and global rom, only thing is I can't set the locale to Ireland, its not listed in the countries listing. Will this impact the phone in anyway? Haven't put a sim in yet, was just setting up. Spent two weeks in customs on the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

cowlick wrote: »
    So bought a xaoimi redmi 3 pro from goldway, came with google play installed and global rom, only thing is I can't set the locale to Ireland, its not listed in the countries listing. Will this impact the phone in anyway? Haven't put a sim in yet, was just setting up. Spent two weeks in customs on the way!!!

Won't matter just pick nearest European location :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

Not so bad so, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

cowlick wrote: »

It won't matter but if you want you can download More Locale2 from the plays tore and select Ireland from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

For anyone who has ordered from oppomart before, how quickly do they generally take to deliver, and do they install their own custom rom or leave the global rom?

thanks very much for any feedback. Had ordered from aliexpress and a few days later i got an email saying that they're actually out of stock. Oppomart is now the only place that has the phone in stock and for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

BannerBoy1 wrote:
    For anyone who has ordered from oppomart before, how quickly do they generally take to deliver, and do they install their own custom rom or leave the global rom?

BannerBoy1 wrote:
    thanks very much for any feedback. Had ordered from aliexpress and a few days later i got an email saying that they're actually out of stock. Oppomart is now the only place that has the phone in stock and for a reasonable price.

Took about 12 or 15 working days to deliver can't remember exactly now. My Miami phone came with a vendor rom but no bloatware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

BannerBoy1 wrote: »

Oppomart will say 'in stock' even if they are not and just leave you waiting with out any notice, well thats my dealings with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I ordered the Xiaomi mi max phone from honourbuy site 32gb from Spain to avoid custom hassle. 213 euro all in for 32gb 3gb model and it took an impressive 39 hours from ordering to delivery. Positives, lovely build, great screen and the battery is a dream, I took it off the charger at 1245pm and it's at 79% right now. Negatives, i went to unlock the bootloader but came up against an issue that seemed common with the unlock app redirecting you to their forum rather than to page for requesting the unlock code.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

Cancelled my Mi Note 2 order from Oppomart after they admitted they had no idea when they would get them in stock. Hopefully there's no issues with the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Ryback wrote: »
    Cancelled my Mi Note 2 order from Oppomart after they admitted they had no idea when they would get them in stock. Hopefully there's no issues with the refund.

Anyone updated jaiyu s3+ from 4.4 to 5.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ryback wrote: »

Yeah I wouldn't go near Oppomart again. Just got my phone back from repair with them which took at least 3 weeks to get to them with registered post and them not doing anything with it for over a week. Got it back within 9 days with the problem fixed but without the sim card tray meaning I can't put in a sim card and use the phone. They are sending the replacement sim tray but will take another two weeks. Also had problem with them sending a cover that I ordered from their store that got delayed by a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

horse7 wrote: »
    Anyone updated jaiyu s3+ from 4.4 to 5.1?

Yes. From 4.4 you need to upgrade via SP flash tools.
    There are plenty of different ROMs. MAD developers have 7.1 RC5 out at the moment.
    Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/jiayu-s3/development

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

GBX wrote: »
    Yes. From 4.4 you need to upgrade via SP flash tools.
    There are plenty of different ROMs. MAD developers have 7.1 RC5 out at the moment.
    Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/jiayu-s3/development

Thanks, it would be great to upgrade to 7.1 from my 4.4. I have utubed mad developers and they seem to be in Arabic. Can you recommend any English ones on utube to help me upgrade as I haven't done any work like this and don't want to brick my phone.

I don't know anything about your phone or the Rom but try looking on xda developers forum, I would be surprised if you couldn't find a how to there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

horse7 wrote: »
    Thanks, it would be great to upgrade to 7.1 from my 4.4. I have utubed mad developers and they seem to be in Arabic. Can you recommend any English ones on utube to help me upgrade as I haven't done any work like this and don't want to brick my phone.

Mad (Mediatek Android Developers) are a new entity derived from Jiayu.de - They post the updates via https://www.facebook.com/MediatekAndroidDevelopers/?fref=ts
    With regard updating from 4.4 you definitley need SP flash from here - https://androidmtk.com/smart-phone-flash-tool

With regards the next step. It might be best to ask on that facebook page or http://forum.xda-developers.com/jiayu-s3/development as there was various different roms & recoveries posted and the developers will point you in the right direction more than I can.

Hope that helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Slightly off-topic...

Anyone have any good trustworthy tablet brands or good models?

Looking for at least 3GB of ram and decent spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

For anyone looking for a new phone with the official os installed I just received my Xiaomi redmi 3s from top one on aliexpress.
    It came with the official MIUI 8 rom and they also installed google play as I requested.
    Very happy with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nice one, sound of them to do that.

I got my phone back from HK Goldway about 2 weeks ago, screen was very poorly fitted with a lot of light bleed. They ignored me for two days until I started a dispute with Aliexpress, basically showing how bad the bleed was and saying the repair job wasn't worth $80 (cost of parts excluded).

They tried to fob me off on a $10 refund saying the engineer saw no problem with it and I shouldn't expect flagship quality from a non flagship device, despite my original screen having a perfect fit. AliExpress themselves offered me $25 back agreeing with me on it, so I took that.

Just a heads up for anyone sending a phone back for repair, if it's not perfect start a dispute, it's the only way you'll get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

pcasso wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a new phone with the official os installed I just received my Xiaomi redmi 3s from top one on aliexpress.
    I've been looking at the Redmi 3S but have been wondering how Pokemon Go runs on it? Would you (or anybody else) be able to shed some light on whether it works and what the performance is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I've been looking at the Redmi 3S but have been wondering how Pokemon Go runs on it? Would you (or anybody else) be able to shed some light on whether it works and what the performance is like?

Sorry I have no idea and am never likely to find out, through personal experience at least.

Kavrocks wrote: »

Qualcomm so GPS will be fine. Their iZat platform is great. GPU is fine too.

Big pitfall is no B20 4G so less than 50% normal 4G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

pcasso wrote: »
    Sorry I have no idea and am never likely to find out, through personal experience at least.
    Is there any chance you could tell me if it passes the safety net check? It can be done with this app.
    ED E wrote: »
    Qualcomm so GPS will be fine. Their iZat platform is great. GPU is fine too.

Big pitfall is no B20 4G so less than 50% normal 4G coverage.
    The Redmi 3S Taiwanese version has band 20 for 4G. I don't know if the Redmi 3S passes safety net or if the CPU will stand up to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    How much would VAT and duty be on a phone that's €270 please?

If it goes via PMotel and PMotel don't pay (they won't) does it get sent back to sender; if so do they normally send it back again or what happens?

Lastly, anyone recommend a good softback/silicon case for a LeEco Max2 please? I want something as thin as possible but will protect it from falls.

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

270 * 1.23 = €332 + €7(An Post Fe) = €339 or thereabouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement