Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    How much would VAT and duty be on a phone that's €270 please?

If it goes via PMotel and PMotel don't pay (they won't) does it get sent back to sender; if so do they normally send it back again or what happens?

Lastly, anyone recommend a good softback/silicon case for a LeEco Max2 please? I want something as thin as possible but will protect it from falls.

Thanks,
    Pa.

I don't know which phone you are after but if you look at Top One on Aliexpress, they include a DHL option with no customs guaranteed. It might be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Hi, looking to buy cheap but good phone for between 80 - 100 euro with good enough camera. I know I'm asking a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Was about to buy a Mi5 for myself but Topone no longer has the black 64gb model in stock. I see bad reports from oppomart, are honorbuy any more reliable? Where else is a good place to shop and would the mi5 drop a bit ion price in the new year if I waited a little longer?

jozi wrote: »
    Was about to buy a Mi5 for myself but Topone no longer has the black 64gb model in stock. I see bad reports from oppomart, are honorbuy any more reliable? Where else is a good place to shop and would the mi5 drop a bit ion price in the new year if I waited a little longer?

Did you try the irish shop mishop.ie , next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

That site looks a bit dodge imo

• Advertisement

I haven't but I'll have a look at them. There's someone on adverts selling them, little bit more expensive but probably means I have it this week and no chance of customs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That's mishop.ie.

Same person\shop.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    That site looks a bit dodge imo

I don't think so, somebody here on this thread already got a phone and AFAIK were very pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ya, i got a phone off mishop via Adverts - next day delivery on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 - Global ROM and all installed.

I did note however, that on Adverts, he or she upped the price of the phone from 229 to 400 :\

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ya, i got a phone off mishop via Adverts - next day delivery on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 - Global ROM and all installed.

I did note however, that on Adverts, he or she upped the price of the phone from 229 to 400 :\

Everything's showing as out of stock at the moment :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Hi guys,

In the market for a new phone with my max budget being €200 (will stretch a bit more if necessary).

My main use/requirements will be a good quality camera, 4g connectivity and a long lasting battery (something that will last a full day on a single charge with moderate use from Spotify and social media apps). It doesn't have to be very powerful but I want a phone that will last at least 2 years or so. I often use my phone in college to take picture of my labs/projects for reports along N with taking quick notes and looking at notes.

Best screen size from what I've used is around 5.5" but don't mind going to 6" or down to 5".

So, what phone would suit me best?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Stick your requirements in to kimovil.com and remember to factor in delivery and possible customs charges too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Hi guys,

In the market for a new phone with my max budget being €200 (will stretch a bit more if necessary).

My main use/requirements will be a good quality camera, 4g connectivity and a long lasting battery (something that will last a full day on a single charge with moderate use from Spotify and social media apps). It doesn't have to be very powerful but I want a phone that will last at least 2 years or so. I often use my phone in college to take picture of my labs/projects for reports along N with taking quick notes and looking at notes.

Best screen size from what I've used is around 5.5" but don't mind going to 6" or down to 5".

Thanks in advance.

Consider the Xiaomi mi max phone from honourbuy site 32gb, Spanish option to avoid customs. 213 euro all in for 32gb (can be bumped up with at least 128gb sd) 3gb 6.4 inch model, 40 hours from ordering to delivery. I came from a one plus one 5.5 inch and after a day the 6.4 doesn't bother me. I'm not a camera person and the camera is 16 megapixel but tbh I find little difference between it and one plus one's 13. The greatness of the phone is the battery, 4850mah, in practical terms I'm a heavy enough user. I streamed Spotify, downloaded about 300mb of podcasts, listened to podcasts, used chrome reddit etc. I unplugged the phone at 1030am at 97 percent, plugged it in 38 hours later with 23 percent left. I hope battery doesn't degrade too much over time

ronano wrote: »
    Consider the Xiaomi mi max phone from honourbuy site 32gb, Spanish option to avoid customs. 213 euro all in for 32gb (can be bumped up with at least 128gb sd) 3gb 6.4 inch model, 40 hours from ordering to delivery. I came from a one plus one 5.5 inch and after a day the 6.4 doesn't bother me. I'm not a camera person and the camera is 16 megapixel but tbh I find little difference between it and one plus one's 13. The greatness of the phone is the battery, 4850mah, in practical terms I'm a heavy enough user. I streamed Spotify, downloaded about 300mb of podcasts, listened to podcasts, used chrome reddit etc. I unplugged the phone at 1030am at 97 percent, plugged it in 38 hours later with 23 percent left. I hope battery doesn't degrade too much over time

Xiaomi were the brand I was going to go with anyway given people I know who have used their phones.

I've seen a few reviews and the main concerns I have are with the build quality, screen being damaged/cracked and connectivity.

I assume you can get tampered glass screen protectors and just normal cases for it too? Have you run into any issues when using it for 4G connectivity?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Xiaomi were the brand I was going to go with anyway given people I know who have used their phones.

I've seen a few reviews and the main concerns I have are with the build quality, screen being damaged/cracked and connectivity.

I assume you can get tampered glass screen protectors and just normal cases for it too? Have you run into any issues when using it for 4G connectivity?

Cheers

I've ordered a tempered glass screen protector and cover from Amazon cost 25 euro all in. You can order protector and covers from honourbuy and other sites pretty easy but yeah seems to be varied selection. The build quality seems solid to me, phone is slim but solid. There's no issues with 4g based with online guides and I've used it in Dublin city, Meath, Louth and it has the same coverage as my one plus. My only criticism of the phone I mentioned in a previous post in this thread being that I ran into an issue trying to get the bootloader unlocked and gave up after 15 minutes. The phone also has no NFC which would be nice but no big deal for me. The battery is so damn good, I left the house at 740pm and had been travelling for good 2 hours with screen on and I've used 4 percent battery.

I've ordered a tempered glass screen protector and cover from Amazon cost 25 euro all in. You can order protector and covers from honourbuy and other sites pretty easy but yeah seems to be varied selection. The build quality seems solid to me, phone is slim but solid. There's no issues with 4g based with online guides and I've used it in Dublin city, Meath, Louth and it has the same coverage as my one plus. My only criticism of the phone I mentioned in a previous post in this thread being that I ran into an issue trying to get the bootloader unlocked and gave up after 15 minutes. The phone also has no NFC which would be nice but no big deal for me. The battery is so damn good, I left the house at 740pm and had been travelling for good 2 hours with screen on and I've used 4 percent battery.

Sounds good to me. NFC isn't a deal breaker for me. I have it on my current handset and used it once just to try it.

Battery is huge thing for me really.

If I buy off the site mentioned will I be hit with customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Sounds good to me. NFC isn't a deal breaker for me. I have it on my current handset and used it once just to try it.

Battery is huge thing for me really.

If I buy off the site mentioned will I be hit with customs?

Spanish site option avoids customs.

+1 on Xiaomi. Great value for money.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Spanish site option avoids customs.

+1 on Xiaomi. Great value for money.

Yeah I'll go for that phone so unless I see any objections. From watching online reviews it seems solid.

I'll order it in the New Year once I have all the expenses of Christmas out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

These phones are monsters, when you see them in person. Almost like looking at a Nexus 7 tablet!

GSM Connections on Talbot Street in Dublin have them in stock, I think at €299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    These phones are monsters, when you see them in person. Almost like looking at a Nexus 7 tablet!

GSM Connections on Talbot Street in Dublin have them in stock, I think at €299

If you put the phone you want and the one you have into Kimovil it'll show you a size comparison to give you an idea of how much of a size jump you will get.

Edit: @ronano & gerrybbadd - there is a Xiaomi Mi Max and Mi Mix. 2 different devices - according to Kimovil the Mi Mix is available from €259 & the Mi Max from €671.

Just check before you order that it is indeed the phone you want and not the lower spec one.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/xiaomi-mi-max-4gb-128gb,xiaomi-mi-mix

GBX wrote: »
    If you put the phone you want and the one you have into Kimovil it'll show you a size comparison to give you an idea of how much of a size jump you will get.

After using the online comparison and using a friend's phone that's just a bit smaller I think the Mi Max, while a great device, is overkill in size for me so my search continues.

Appreciate all the help tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Xiaomi are great, I have the Redmi Note 4, some small issuse with 4G now and again but that's not the phones fault since they were designed for use in Asian markets.

I just bought a redmi 4 pro that I rant to use for a bit before I get a mi5 and give this to my girlfriend.

Bought it from topone, tracking seems to originating in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I just bought a redmi 4 pro that I rant to use for a bit before I get a mi5 and give this to my girlfriend.

Yes, they will ship it from CHINA to UK, and when it hits the UK your tracking number will start to update. So there may be no move on the tracking for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Top One sometimes give two tracking numbers. Check your order comments for the China to UK number. Assuming you used DHL EU express.

I see, that must be how they get past the customs charges. I almost got my hopes up of having it before Christmas, guess it will be a bit longer.

Didn't notice a second tracking but I'll have a look later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

They may have only gave you 1 tracking, it'll be preadvised before it arrives in the UK. With the Christmas rush I highly doubt you'll have it before Christmas. Anything coming out of China has been seriously delayed the past month or so.

I wasn't expecting it before Christmas until I noticed the UK origins. Having had a quick look at my account, they do mentioned lead times and delayes for this time of the year and that it will be coming from China to the Uk then Ireland.

Curious to see how well it performs compared with my OPX, seems to get good reviews to. I might even end up buying a 2nd one for myself if I like it enough! Or would the Mi5 be a noticeable step up on all area's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

Just got my Mi5 delivered today from Top One . So far I've been very impressed. Good quality build and very fast. I ordered a tempered screen with it but there was also two screen protectors in the box with the phone as well.

4g on Vodafone works fine with it too.

The solid plastic case I ordered is also good too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement