Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Hello!

Is this a decent Dual Sim Android for the money? Not looking for anything super fast or mega battery. Rather, a phone that works out of the box.

http://www.honorbuy.com/1008-xiaomi-redmi-4-16gb-smartphone-gray.html

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Just got my Mi5 delivered today from Top One . So far I've been very impressed. Good quality build and very fast. I ordered a tempered screen with it but there was also two screen protectors in the box with the phone as well.

4g on Vodafone works fine with it too.

The solid plastic case I ordered is also good too.

Is the tempered screen noticeably thicker than a regular protector?

I got a Redmi 4 Pro but still very tempted to get a Mi5 after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Got the Mrs a Redmi 4 Pro a few weeks back nice phone great battery life a couple of negatives beginning with the camera it's not great tbh slightly darker environments give poor results but seems to be an issue for Xaomi phones across all their models. Also got the seller Top One to put a vendor rom on it as no official international rom available yet. One thing to be aware of is that it had a Tesco sim in it and I had to turn off Data roaming as it seemed to send little bits of data every couple of minutes costing 3 cent per use and this seemed to happen in the house where it was on wifi. I will flash the official international rom which I hope will be available soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Got the Mrs a Redmi 4 Pro a few weeks back nice phone great battery life a couple of negatives beginning with the camera it's not great tbh slightly darker environments give poor results but seems to be an issue for Xaomi phones across all their models. Also got the seller Top One to put a vendor rom on it as no official international rom available yet. One thing to be aware of is that it had a Tesco sim in it and I had to turn off Data roaming as it seemed to send little bits of data every couple of minutes costing 3 cent per use and this seemed to happen in the house where it was on wifi. I will flash the official international rom which I hope will be available soon.

First person, I have heard going out of there way to get a vendor rom.

Have you considered putting an Xiaomi.eu rom on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

jozi wrote: »
    Is the tempered screen noticeably thicker than a regular protector?

I got a Redmi 4 Pro but still very tempted to get a Mi5 after Christmas

The tempered screen isn't noticeably thicker than a regular one. I had a tempered screen on my old phone and it was a lot thicker than this one

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    First person, I have heard going out of there way to get a vendor rom.

Have you considered putting an Xiaomi.eu rom on it?

I didn't go out of my way to get it as I thought it was just going to have the playstore added and I also needed multiple EU languages available as well, the official ROM for the Redmi 4 Pro only has the official Chinese version which only comes with Chinese and English and as of yet there is no official international ROM for this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm sure there is an official global ROM for the Redmi Pro 4, no?

myshirt wrote: »
    I'm sure there is an official global ROM for the Redmi Pro 4, no?

nope not yet, takes a few months for them to release an official one if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

TMJM96 wrote: »
    I'm back again with some more stupid questions (sorry!). I decided against the Mi Max due to the size, but unnecessary to me tbh. The phones I've found that I've liked are the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. What are your opinions on them? They're the same price currently on Honorbuy

RN3 is grand device, have it since July!
    RN4 is mediatek device, so limited custom rom support if any. Also a snapdragon version might be released in the new year!

With Honorbuy you may have a vendor rom installed on the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Interesting to see what will happen to the Custom Rom landscape for these phones now CyanogenMod is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

fixxxer wrote: »
    Interesting to see what will happen to the Custom Rom landscape for these phones now CyanogenMod is dead.

AFAIK its only corporate CyanogenMod that's finished,the devs will probably just rebrand/rename and either continue or start something new

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

wiz569 wrote: »
    AFAIK its only corporate CyanogenMod that's finished,the devs will probably just rebrand/rename and either continue or start something new

Yeah they have LegacyOS starting up soon. I wonder how much coding will have to be done from scratch or how much Cyanogen will let them use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

fixxxer wrote: »
    Yeah they have LegacyOS starting up soon. I wonder how much coding will have to be done from scratch or how much Cyanogen will let them use.

I think the majority of CyanogenMod is open source,so they should have a good base to build on,will be interesting to see what comes out 🙂

Now I just need to decide what 6"+ phone to buy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

My Umi emax is stuck on logo start screen, have reset to factory and no joy,so flashed stock ROM with scatter file using SP flash tool, v comm drivers used. Still no joy. Anyone help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PJOH

horse7 wrote:
    My Umi emax is stuck on logo start screen, have reset to factory and no joy,so flashed stock ROM with scatter file using SP flash tool, v comm drivers used. Still no joy. Anyone help.

I thought I was tech savvy, but this is like another language to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

horse7 wrote: »

You can get into recovery yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Anyone update their xiaomi phone to Miui 8.1.2.0? Got a notification this morning on the redmi note 4 and installed. No major obvious difference yet. just wondering had anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

vkid wrote: »
    Anyone update their xiaomi phone to Miui 8.1.2.0? Got a notification this morning on the redmi note 4 and installed. No major obvious difference yet. just wondering had anyone else?

Received my Redmi Note 4 this afternoon and had an automatic update for it, don't see anything odd with it yet.

A bit OT but do you have any tips or tricks for the phone? Liking it so far anyway

You can get into recovery yeah?

No,if I could I wouldn't be flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads I picked up a leagoo shark 1 for 120 Euro the other day
    Seems to get good reviews
    Anyone have experience with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

horse7 wrote: »
    No,if I could I wouldn't be flashing.

Not seeing the correlation.

What about bootloader/fast boot?

Not seeing the correlation.

What about bootloader/fast boot?

I can access,recovery system. For the following. Reboot system. Apply update for adb. Apply update from SD card. Apply update from cache. Wipe data/factory reset. Wipe cache partition. Backup user data. Restore user data. Root integrity check. So from this I chose wipe data/fact reset,then because the phone was still not working (staying on Umi logo) I did a flash of the stock ROM. PS Umi emax is non removable battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Anyone any thoughts on the Zuk Z2? Looks like very good specs for the price, under 200 quid from Oppomart...

http://www.oppomart.com/zuk-z2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

vkid wrote: »

The only difference I've seen is they've changed the toggle bar in the notifications drop down from scrolling to another dropdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I'm having a problem with miui 8
    I can't get the Antivirus apps to show up on the notification bar.
    I can see the service is running and autostart is enabled
    Is there a way to fix this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Hi lookin at getting the mi5s plus phone from aliexpress. On Goldway is says no need to pay tax if use seller shipping option. Any experience with this?

I know topone ship to the UK first so I wouldn't be stung but they are over 100 dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Hi lookin at getting the mi5s plus phone from aliexpress. On Goldway is says no need to pay tax if use seller shipping option. Any experience with this?

I know topone ship to the UK first so I wouldn't be stung but they are over 100 dearer.

I think there is something wrong with the pricing on Top One all the phones have gone up at least €50 since last week and their cases are showing around €60 :eek:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Flip-Cover-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Pro-Case-Flip-Leather-Stand-Holder-Shell-for-Redmi/342812_32709415854.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.kxx1Ui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

NATLOR wrote: »
    I think there is something wrong with the pricing on Top One all the phones have gone up at least €50 since last week and their cases are showing around €60 :eek:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Flip-Cover-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Pro-Case-Flip-Leather-Stand-Holder-Shell-for-Redmi/342812_32709415854.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.kxx1Ui

Yeah I know. I was gonna buy from them a couple of weeks ago and put it on the long finger. Price gone by nearly a 100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Yeah I know. I was gonna buy from them a couple of weeks ago and put it on the long finger. Price gone by nearly a 100 quid.

It has to be pricing errors, the 16g redmi note 3 pro has gone from €118 to €220, id imagine it should be fixed soon or they wont be doing much business!

Goldway looks good but the sellers postage option comes up as not available for me? Sorry read that wrong,its tracking thats not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

Got a Mi5 from Top One last week, cost €250 including delivery. Price has now gone up to around €340.

Lovely phone although it does feel very light. Performance is great though. Requested the stock ROM and was very easy to sideboard Google services

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement