Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Best off put what you need into kimovil and compare to what you need

The result of that query is 1:
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/name.Xiaomi,fe_bands-lte-800,fe_bands-lte-1800,fe_conectivity-nfc
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-note-2-6gb-128gb

Its going to cost you at least €500 by the looks of things so way over budget.

NFC sort of died for a while then Android Pay added jurisdictions and is in demand again. I received my non NFC X822 about 10 days before it launched here. If you root you cant use it anyways which is a pain but thats a dealbreaker for me.

While AP is nice I'd just get a Contactless CC and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I recently used top-one on Ali and it was very quick and no import taxes. They do seem to have hiked their prices up a good bit recently.

Another thing to watch out for is that you get a global rom and not a vendor rom which could come with all sorts of crap and no updates. I had to flash the redmi 4 I bought because it had a vendor rom on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭corkie

g0g wrote: »
    Do any Xiaomi more expensive models feature NFC and if so are we talking much more? Any other brands at this spec level worth considering?
    ED E wrote: »
    The result of that query is 1:
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/name.Xiaomi,fe_bands-lte-800,fe_bands-lte-1800,fe_conectivity-nfc
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-note-2-6gb-128gb

Its going to cost you at least €500 by the looks of things so way over budget.

NFC sort of died for a while then Android Pay added jurisdictions and is in demand again. I received my non NFC X822 about 10 days before it launched here. If you root you cant use it anyways which is a pain but thats a dealbreaker for me.

While AP is nice I'd just get a Contactless CC and forget about it.

You forgot the Mi5 and varieties of same that have NFC!
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/i_b+slug.xiaomi,fe_conectivity-nfc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

corkie wrote: »
    You forgot the Mi5 and varieties of same that have NFC!
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/i_b+slug.xiaomi,fe_conectivity-nfc

No, I didnt. Filter it for B20 and you're back to the one device I linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

That tool is really handy thanks, never seen it before! It also recommended the below two phones to me, or have I missed an important filter of some sort!? The Wileyfox send to be a brand new model and available in Europe? Maybe battery size not the best?
    Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus and Elephobe P9000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi again,

My wife had ordered the Le eco Le Max 2 for me for Xmas but the order got messed up so no phone yet.
    Can anyone point me to a seller that has the 6gb ram 64g version and ships ensuring that you won't have to pay import duty? From checking a few sellers it's not 100% clear on shipping (for me anyway). Some say DHL but that doesn't mean shipping from Europe/avoiding import duty.

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi again,

My wife had ordered the Le eco Le Max 2 for me for Xmas but the order got messed up so no phone yet.
    Can anyone point me to a seller that has the 6gb ram 64g version and ships ensuring that you won't have to pay import duty? From checking a few sellers it's not 100% clear on shipping (for me anyway). Some say DHL but that doesn't mean shipping from Europe/avoiding import duty.

Thanks,
    Pa.

HonorBuy have it,just chose EU warehouse shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Xiaomi only have NFC on one of their phones, but they've just launched their own version of Android Pay so it seems likely that future models will have NFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Goldway on Aliepress have a selection of Xiaomi phones with 20% off till 5/1

https://goldway.aliexpress.com/store/group/New-Year-Special-Offer/311331_510059622.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.DW9nF5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

NATLOR wrote: »

so which stands out as a bargain.trying to decide here lol

• Advertisement

Very tempted to get this in silver €218 (plus €13 for no customs delivery)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5-M5-Mi-5-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-820-5-15-1920x1080-3GB-RAM-32GB/311331_32753833404.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.T1NABx

price includes Xiaomi piston earphones which are great, have a pair already

Very tempted to get this in silver €218 (plus €13 for no customs delivery)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5-M5-Mi-5-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-820-5-15-1920x1080-3GB-RAM-32GB/311331_32753833404.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.T1NABx

price includes Xiaomi piston earphones which are great, have a pair already

i wish but budget is 150 something that has a good battery and quick charge

wiz569 wrote: »
    HonorBuy have it,just chose EU warehouse shipping

Thanks. Was hoping it'd be a bit cheaper than €326. I might have to go with the 4GB and 32GB rom for €191 even though I had my heart set on the more expensive one.

The Xiaomi Redmi Pro does look nice too; 4GB 128GB for €259....choices, choices

Thanks for the link. They have the Le Eco Le Max 2 6gb 64 for €232 & €13 for sellers delivery so no import duty.

Any particular reason the Xiaomi Mi5 is so popular compared to others in similar prices?
    Cheers yet again.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. They have the Le Eco Le Max 2 6gb 64 for €232 & €13 for sellers delivery so no import duty.

Any particular reason the Xiaomi Mi5 is so popular compared to others in similar prices?
    Cheers yet again.

im looking at the redmi 3x for just over 100 euro.seems like a good phone with decent specs.

Just be careful lads,I'm sure goldway stopped their sellers shipping method,so you may still have to pay vat.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Just be careful lads,I'm sure goldway stopped their sellers shipping method,so you may still have to pay vat.

I was thinking that too but its back on the delivery options. I also sent them a message inquiring about it and they replied saying it is available

I was thinking that too but its back on the delivery options. I also sent them a message inquiring about it and they replied saying it is available

Nice one :)
    Must have a proper look at the sale so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Guys, be careful about some phones that you might think have quick charge, but in fact do not. For example, a lot of the Qualcomm (Snapdragon etc) have the capability, but the manufacturer doesn't pay the licensing fee to Qualcomm (in order to make phone cheaper) so it is disabled on the phone.

You could flash another Kernel to enable maybe, but someone more knowledgeable might advise on that.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    Guys, be careful about some phones that you might think have quick charge, but in fact do not. For example, a lot of the Qualcomm (Snapdragon etc) have the capability, but the manufacturer doesn't pay the licensing fee to Qualcomm (in order to make phone cheaper) so it is disabled on the phone.

You could flash another Kernel to enable maybe, but someone more knowledgeable might advise on that.

So what's the best bargain for 150 euro or less or what phone u got and are u happy with it

Anyone looking at the Mi5, the 32gb model is underclocked compared to the 64gb & 128gb models which would be very similarly spec'd as a Samsung S7.

I've been looking for a black Mi5 with at least 64gb but having a hard time finding one! There are a few about but I don't know how reliable they are regarding indicated and actual stock levels (Geekbuying)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Got me leagoo shark. Really happy with it. Its bigger than my ulefone power was but doesn't feel it. 120 euro on a deal on Amazon. How bad

smilerf wrote: »
    Got me leagoo shark. Really happy with it. Its bigger than my ulefone power was but doesn't feel it. 120 euro on a deak

I got the redmi pro 3 snapdragon 650 just waiting for delivery now in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Sorry to throw another question on to my previous question.....
    Maybe I'm getting hung up on 4G given that most of my "smartphone" function usage is within WiFi areas anyway. Am I right in saying any model at all of the normal ones to look at will function perfectly happily on the 3G network?
    So a Mi5 might tick all the other boxes if I drop 4G requirement and also accept higher built-in storage rather than space for SD card? Is it worth the extra money for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Does the Mi 5 not work on the 4g network in Ireland?

quote=g0g;102143865]Sorry to throw another question on to my previous question.....
    Maybe I'm getting hung up on 4G given that most of my "smartphone" function usage is within WiFi areas anyway. Am I right in saying any model at all of the normal ones to look at will function perfectly happily on the 3G network?
    So a Mi5 might tick all the other boxes if I drop 4G requirement and also accept higher built-in storage rather than space for SD card? Is it worth the extra money for it?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

The Mi5 will work on 3g no problem. I'm on Meteor and have no issues with data. 4g also works but will be patchier as it only has one of the 2 LTE bands used in Ireland. My understanding is that band 3 is generally used in built up areas, the Mi5 has band 3, while band 20 is used elsewhere.

If you need info on any phone and whether it will work on your network go to http://willmyphonework.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I've just bought a Redmi S3 as I needed a dual sim for traveling. I am amazed at the performance and quality of the phone, I don't know how they do it. Fingerprint sensor, aluminum, makes my MotoG3 look pretty average. I got the 3/32 version for €180 2 day delivery from Italy via DHL. Euro warehouse so no duty.

http://www.honorbuy.com/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Received my Redmi Note 4 this afternoon and had an automatic update for it, don't see anything odd with it yet.

A bit OT but do you have any tips or tricks for the phone? Liking it so far anyway

No real tricks, I put nova launcher on it and work away. Most of it seems to have been system optimization.
    Just got Miui 8.1.4.0 update available..so interesting to see if any difference with that one.

• Advertisement

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Received my Redmi Note 4 this afternoon and had an automatic update for it, don't see anything odd with it yet.

A bit OT but do you have any tips or tricks for the phone? Liking it so far anyway

Check to make sure you don't have a vendor rom!

I finally got my unlock code and ordered a Mi5 last night after having had enough of checking every single store I could find for a black 64gb model.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement