Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

I started a new thread for this, but here is probably a better place

Im looking to get a redmi note 3 pro/pro prime, or would a Mi Max be better?

Where is the best place to pick one up?
    Any sellers ye recommend on aliexpress?

Im also open to any alternatives

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

jozi wrote: »
    Check to make sure you don't have a vendor rom!

I finally got my unlock code and ordered a Mi5 last night after having had enough of checking every single store I could find for a black 64gb model.

Yeah vkid I installed nova launcher because I've always used it. Don't have any problems with the phone so far and the battery is very good.

How do I check whether I have a vendor ROM? I'm getting OTA updates so I'm assuming it's a legitimate ROM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Yeah vkid I installed nova launcher because I've always used it. Don't have any problems with the phone so far and the battery is very good.

How do I check whether I have a vendor ROM? I'm getting OTA updates so I'm assuming it's a legitimate ROM?

If you are getting the OTA updates I'd say its fine, but if you go to settings / about phone and look at the MIUI version.

Battery is great on mine. Running both sims, using for work and personal phone and get 1.5 - 2 days regularly enough depending on usage.

Camera is the only slight downside of this phone(and its not that bad), but if I really want to take photos, then I am happier to use a decent camera anyway rather than a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

As above, probably fine if your getting ota updates. The version number on mine had an extra digit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

vkid wrote: »
    If you are getting the OTA updates I'd say its fine, but if you go to settings / about phone and look at the MIUI version.

Battery is great on mine. Running both sims, using for work and personal phone and get 1.5 - 2 days regularly enough depending on usage.

Camera is the only slight downside of this phone(and its not that bad), but if I really want to take photos, then I am happier to use a decent camera anyway rather than a phone.

I'm a heavy user of social media, Spotify and other other entertainment apps. I'm essentially always on the phone and I still get 8 hours of very very heavy usage. I was able to get away for nearly two days too.

Camera is grand for me under right circumstances. I'm happy with the outputs of it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

vkid wrote:

Can you easily knock off the work sim if you want to? For example at 4.55pm each evening lol and weekends of course or would you have to remove it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Ya I just switch the work SIM off. It's pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Timmyr wrote: »
    I started a new thread for this, but here is probably a better place

Im looking to get a redmi note 3 pro/pro prime, or would a Mi Max be better?

Where is the best place to pick one up?
    Any sellers ye recommend on aliexpress?

Im also open to any alternatives

Thanks in advance

Not much difference other than the size. I have the Mi Max and it is really huge, I'm considering going back to a 5.5" screen.

Not much difference other than the size. I have the Mi Max and it is really huge, I'm considering going back to a 5.5" screen.

Really?

that was my main worry, would it even fit in pockets of jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Really?

that was my main worry, would it even fit in pockets of jeans?

Just, but don't sit down too quickly!

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    Just, but don't sit down too quickly!

Thanks for the advice, it does still appeal to me, any sellers you can recommend? looking for global rom

Thanks for the advice, it does still appeal to me, any sellers you can recommend? looking for global rom

I got mine from Honorbuy.com but I think www.geekbuying have a 24 hour flash sale on it at the moment so might be worth looking at the. Not an endorsement, don't think I've used them before.

The size of it really is amazing though. I love it for games and movies and the like but when I opened the box I was still surprised. Oh yeah don't put it in a hoody pocket and sit in a car seat. It will jut up under your rib cage and stab you slightly. These are my experiences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

I got mine from Honorbuy.com but I think www.geekbuying have a 24 hour flash sale on it at the moment so might be worth looking at the. Not an endorsement, don't think I've used them before.

The size of it really is amazing though. I love it for games and movies and the like but when I opened the box I was still surprised. Oh yeah don't put it in a hoody pocket and sit in a car seat. It will jut up under your rib cage and stab you slightly. These are my experiences :)

How long does it take them to ship the item after u payed.i payed 2 days ago and still says waiting to be shipped.payment all ready gone through.its from xiaomi store

How long does it take them to ship the item after u payed.i payed 2 days ago and still says waiting to be shipped.payment all ready gone through.its from xiaomi store

I think it was about four days. I emailed first to confirm it was in stock though, these shops have a habit of taking your money and telling you days later that oops its not in stock but stock is on the way.

Is xiaomi store honorbuy? Or the Irish chap selling them through his own site and adverts.ie ? There is no official Xiaomi store to buy from.

I think it was about four days. I emailed first to confirm it was in stock though, these shops have a habit of taking your money and telling you days later that oops its not in stock but stock is on the way.

Is xiaomi store honorbuy? Or the Irish chap selling them through his own site and adverts.ie ? There is no official Xiaomi store to buy from.

Xiaomi online store on AliExpress with 99% feedback

Ah right. Sorry, no idea about those guys I'm afraid.

Ah right. Sorry, no idea about those guys I'm afraid.

Ah sure I'll wait and see paid to use dhl too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭corkie

Ah sure I'll wait and see paid to use dhl too

As mentioned a few times in thread, there is NO SUCH THING as an official xiaomi store on aliexpress.

Plus you may also get caught with VAT using that store.

Stick with "Goldway" or "Top One" (when they fix there prices?) to avoid VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

corkie wrote: »
    As mentioned a few times in thread, there is NO SUCH THING as an official xiaomi store on aliexpress.

Plus you may also get caught with VAT using that store.

Stick with "Goldway" or "Top One" (when they fix there prices?) to avoid VAT!

100% paying customs using DHL from that store,its not drop shipped

NATLOR wrote: »
    100% paying customs using DHL from that store,its not drop shipped

Well they said they wud put 55$ present on it so wait and see what happens.topone prices went up by 100euro

• Advertisement

Well they said they wud put 55$ present on it so wait and see what happens.topone prices went up by 100euro

Did you not look at Goldway? about the same price for the phone and 13 quid for no customs delivery.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Somebody trying to make a profit giving you $55 for free - sounds legit...

He means they will price the package at 55,or maybe you are being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

NATLOR wrote: »
    He means they will price the package at 55,or maybe you are being sarcastic?
    Yeah, just realised I read it wrong.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Yeah, just realised I read it wrong.

Ya they said they would price the package

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

I used them, got the redmi note 3 pro prime for 149. No customs charge and free shipping. They are a great seller.

micknail wrote: »
    I used them, got the redmi note 3 pro prime for 149. No customs charge and free shipping. They are a great seller.

Good enough for me thanks for that.jow long were u waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Good enough for me thanks for that.jow long were u waiting

Just over 5 weeks, ordered on the 11/11 sale, so probably would be faster now after Christmas too.
    It's some job, got the global edition and you wouldn't guess it was Chinese. Great build quality (aluminium body) and super battery (nearly 3 days with moderate use). Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

micknail wrote: »
    Just over 5 weeks, ordered on the 11/11 sale, so probably would be faster now after Christmas too.
    It's some job, got the global edition and you wouldn't guess it was Chinese. Great build quality (aluminium body) and super battery (nearly 3 days with moderate use). Very happy with it.

If you were waiting 5 week, I take it you did not get it sent by DHL. This might explain why you did not get hit by customs (VAT) charges.

eamonnq wrote: »
    If you were waiting 5 week, I take it you did not get it sent by DHL. This might explain why you did not get hit by customs (VAT) charges.

Do customs inform u when dhl deliver or what way does it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭corkie

Do customs inform u when dhl deliver or what way does it work

I believe DHL will contact you and give you an option to pay online.
    You may be charged customs duties and taxes for something purchased online because:

Duties and taxes are most typically not included in the price of the goods you purchase online, and might not be included in the overall shipping costs you pay to the online retailer.
    When purchasing goods online, some or all of these goods may not originate in the country you reside in, therefore are subject to a customs duty, which is a tariff or tax imposed on goods when transported across international borders.
    When goods are not shipped domestically (within your country) or within a single customs union, such as the European Union, you are liable to pay any inbound duties and taxes which your local customs authority deems appropriate.
    To ensure the DHL courier can deliver your goods in shortest possible time after entering your country or customs union, DHL pays the customs authority on your behalf for any duties and taxes that are due on the goods.
    Once the duties and taxes are fully repaid to DHL the goods will be delivered to you
    What is payable, if anything, depends on where the goods are sent from, the type of goods, their transactional value and the weight of the package

http://www.dhl.ie/en/express/customs_support/duties_taxes/duties_taxes_receivers.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement