Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

eamonnq wrote: »
    If you were waiting 5 week, I take it you did not get it sent by DHL. This might explain why you did not get hit by customs (VAT) charges.

Well I did say free shipping...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

micknail wrote: »
    Well I did say free shipping...

Still waiting to be shipped anyway unless he forgot to update it after 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ordered a mi5 a few days ago, email today that it's out of stock :mad:

Tempted to cancel the offer and get a redmi 3 or 4. I got a redmi 4 pro for her and it's pretty alright if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

jozi wrote: »
    Ordered a mi5 a few days ago, email today that it's out of stock :mad:

Tempted to cancel the offer and get a redmi 3 or 4. I got a redmi 4 pro for her and it's pretty alright if I'm honest.

At least u get a reply all I got so far today is "ok friend" do they update there shipping details at all as still says awaiting shipment and automatically cancels order after certain amount of days left which is 3 days 5 hrs.sorry but it's first time ordering off these sites..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Ordered an mi5s plus with no international rom. Had stock Android over the last few years umi, nexus etc. Do I need to flash a global rom? Is there any disadvantages in sticking with the Chinese rom bar the Chinese bloatware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭corkie

Has Aliexpress seller "Top One" ceased trading?

First inflated prices and now dead links on most of there products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads this is the second Chinese phone I've had and both phones when I turn them on say android apps are optimizing and it could go on for a while. This common thing?

smilerf wrote: »
    Lads this is the second Chinese phone I've had and both phones when I turn them on say android apps are optimizing and it could go on for a while. This common thing?

No it is not common, should only happen after updating the rom or clearing the cache!

You didn't say what device or rom that is on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Should happen when starting up the ROM for the first time or after clearing the cache

I have had Roms where it happens on a lot of start ups though, new ROM or even a newer version might help. It's bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

I'm having an issue with Gmail on my Mi 5. It seems that I use notifications don't work. The only way I get emails is to open the app and then pull down to refresh. This happens even when the app has been opened a few seconds before I send a test mail so it shouldn't be anything to do with the app being killed by memory optimisation. Anyone have any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

corkie wrote: »
    No it is not common, should only happen after updating the rom or clearing the cache!

You didn't say what device or rom that is on it?
    My Ulefone Power used do it and now my Leagoo Shark has done it twice

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

I've just stumbled upon this by accident but lately my Sony Xperia z1 has been doing this Aswell. Will randomly freeze for 2 seconds and power off, sometimes on startup I will get the optimising apps thing Aswell.

My phone is about 2 years old and was bought as part of a bill pay deal but is it possible an update has recently gone wrong or something? Since its not just me it seems to be happening to.

The reason I came here today is to look for a recommendation for a good replacement mobile.
    I'd mostly be looking for a larger screen, decent camera, most importantly a good battery. Something with less boatware that is fast to use. Cannot stand slower phones. I use my phone alot so any other features would be welcomed. Budget at the min isn't important I just want to see what I could get for my money.
    I only use general apps and browsing so no need for dual sim or anything.
    Any input appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its meant to happen once after an update is installed not regularly.

Wiping the phone and starting again will normally resolve it.

BamesJond wrote: »
    I've just stumbled upon this by accident but lately my Sony Xperia z1 has been doing this Aswell. Will randomly freeze for 2 seconds and power off, sometimes on startup I will get the optimising apps thing Aswell.

The reason I came here today is to look for a recommendation for a good replacement mobile.
    I'd mostly be looking for a larger screen, decent camera, most importantly a good battery. Something with less boatware that is fast to use. ....

I had the xperia Z1 as well, but battery was failing on it, I updated to Redmi Note 3 in July and very happy with it. Camera is not great in low light conditions.

There is rumors of an Redmi Note 4X due to be release soon, so it might be worth waiting for. The version without the "X" is a mediatek device and custom rom support is limited if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Ryback wrote: »
    I'm having an issue with Gmail on my Mi 5. It seems that I use notifications don't work. The only way I get emails is to open the app and then pull down to refresh. This happens even when the app has been opened a few seconds before I send a test mail so it shouldn't be anything to do with the app being killed by memory optimisation. Anyone have any tips?

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2016/11/17/how-to-fix-push-notifications-on-xiaomis-miui-8-for-real/&ved=0ahUKEwi1zrH42LPRAhXNFsAKHf8aDs0QFggtMAE&usg=AFQjCNFhZn7ON_g_n39yNJY-0x4rw9LSjw&sig2=aO14LqkZNWtTMZIjfvIKXQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Thumbs-up for the Redmi 4 Prime. £160 (gbp) from an Ebay seller, came with google play services installed.

Build-quality is good, feels nice in the hand. Battery is excellent, you can eek out 4 days if you need to. Even with Bluetooth / GPS / Tasker permanently on, I'm getting 2+ days from a single charge. No fastcharge, unfortunately.

Xiaomi will provide unlock codes for rooting and flashing ROMs, but I'm finding MIUI8 quite nice and will probably stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Ryback wrote: »

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2016/11/17/how-to-fix-push-notifications-on-xiaomis-miui-8-for-real/&ved=0ahUKEwi1zrH42LPRAhXNFsAKHf8aDs0QFggtMAE&usg=AFQjCNFhZn7ON_g_n39yNJY-0x4rw9LSjw&sig2=aO14LqkZNWtTMZIjfvIKXQ

Cheers for that but the issue isn't related to push notifications as much as the Gmail app itself. All other notifications like WhatsApp work fine. Even when I open the Gmail app new mails don't come through. I have to pull down to refresh

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Hi sorry to jump on thread, just received my Mi5 this morning , in region settings it doesn't list Ireland, what did you select or dose it make a difference? wast trying to find a thread on boards for it but couldn't , thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

meathman0 wrote: »
    Hi sorry to jump on thread, just received my Mi5 this morning , in region settings it doesn't list Ireland, what did you select or dose it make a difference? wast trying to find a thread on boards for it but couldn't , thanks.

Same problem, just selected Germany because it was in Europe, system was an hour ahead when I set up but fixed that myself. If Portugal is an option I'd select then as we're in the same timezone

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

TMJM96 wrote: »
    Same problem, just selected Germany because it was in Europe, system was an hour ahead when I set up but fixed that myself. If Portugal is an option I'd select then as we're in the same timezone

Thanks for info, should be fun setting up, using HTC One m8 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Anyone else having any issues with Strava on their Redmis? Mine is a 3S and Starva is switching itself off mid activity.

meathman0 wrote: »
    Thanks for info, should be fun setting up, using HTC One m8 at the moment.

That was the only problem I had. Connected to WiFi and 4G straight out of the box, updated quick enough.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Miui so I use Nova Launcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Anyone else having any issues with Strava on their Redmis? Mine is a 3S and Starva is switching itself off mid activity.

I was having an issue with Hangouts, I had to give it permission to autostart. Sounds like your issue may be different tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I bought a phone from TopOne on Aliexpress. Note4. It was a Christmas present for somebody who handed it back to me basically bricked.

My experience of the phone is not what's important but it's with TopOne. They actively ignored me for the past 2 weeks about it. No response to e-mail, chat or anything. Forums couldn't help with bricking of phone(bootlooping with a locked Bootloader), Xiaomi in the UK couldn't help because it wasn't bought from them. Aliexpress today said they'd refund the cost of the phone but somehow I don't believe them. They might ask me to return it to the seller and if they do hopefully I can just provide a proof of postage to get refund.

Awful experience so basically beware of TopOne. They'll sell you a good phone(usually), DHL is a very sneaky delivery method they use but they will leave you high and dry if anything goes wrong.

Aliexpress as a whole tend to be sounder than the sellers so you might be okay with the refund

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just noticed I'm Aliexpress Level A3 which includes "Fast Refunds". Here's hoping. :D

In saying that I'd need a replacement phone. :(

Honorbuy are probably the next best option I'd say. Quicker delivery I'll assume and prices are comparable. It's for a 13 year old Teenager and he's not stupid enough to think anybody can afford him an iPhone7 and he was wary enough getting a Redmi Note 4 and less favourable when it went bang.

Berty wrote: »
    In saying that I'd need a replacement phone. :(

Honorbuy are probably the next best option I'd say. Quicker delivery I'll assume and prices are comparable. It's for a 13 year old Teenager and he's not stupid enough to think anybody can afford him an iPhone7 and he was wary enough getting a Redmi Note 4 and less favourable when it went bang.

I bought a Note 4 in December from HonorBuy for €190 and €30 delivery. Received it 2 days after placing the order. I emailed HonorBuy (nothing wrong with the phone, just wanted to know about returns etc) and they replied quickly to me.

No issues so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

This is an odd one but has anybody had a problem with a Xiaomi Mi4 and the colours becoming washed out?

I have my Mi4 3 days and suddenly this morning the colours all became washed out. It looks as if the LED in the display is leaking through the centre of it and causing it. I've tried adjusting the contrast and other display settings but can't find a solution. Everything worked fine until this morning and I haven't been able to find a solution so I'd be very grateful for any help.

Can you take a pic Kavrocks? That's pretty hard to picture for me anyways

MiUi has its own light temperature settings, you've tried them I guess?

Is it like that in Recovery Mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kavrocks wrote: »
    This is an odd one but has anybody had a problem with a Xiaomi Mi4 and the colours becoming washed out?

I have my Mi4 4 days and suddenly this morning the colours all became washed out. It looks as if the LED in the display is leaking through the centre of it and causing it. I've tried adjusting the contrast and other display settings but can't find a solution. Everything worked fine until this morning and I haven't been able to find a solution so I'd be very grateful for any help.

My X822 does that on EUI. Itll randomly get the colour temp/gamma completely wrong then go back to normal after a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement