Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

There are different custom roms for Mediatek and snapdragon models. The pro is snapdragon and actually has better support for custom roms.

http://en.miui.com/type-86-679.html

For custom roms for redmi note 3 pro look for ones with Kenzo in the name.

Flash sp seems to be used only for mediatek models.

Thanks for the link, it is snapdragon

So how do i flash it if i cannot use Flash SP please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

abarkie wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, it is snapdragon

So how do i flash it if i cannot use Flash SP please?

There are instructions in the thread for each rom. You need to register for the site as you need to reply to the thread to view download links

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

BamesJond wrote: »
    So excluding the plus for now unless anyone can offer a differing opinion. Anything to be said for the Mi Max? I like the look of it. Anyine have any ideas of a reputable place to buy with good delivery times?

There's been talk on the Mi Max a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anyone have any input on :

Xiaomi Mi 5s plus
    Xiaomi Mi Max

Also any other options people would have and where would be a good place to buy them from.
    Looking to get a new phone asap so any input as to reasons for or against would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/xiaomi-mi-max-4gb-128gb,xiaomi-mi5-32gb,xiaomi-mi5s-plus

Spec comparison in this link - also shows the size difference. The Mi Max is quite the jump from the Mi 5. Have a read of the link Corkie posted showing how little difference there is between the Mi 5 and s.
    I've a mate who loves his Mi5. Really great phone for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've got a Mi Max - aside from some MIUI launcher and notification issues (which I think will be the same on all Xiaomi phones), it is a decent phone.

Build quality is good but not great, I believe the Mi5 would be better. The battery is amazing, I took it off charge on Monday morning and it is still going with a lot of long calls in the mean time. It really is huge though - make sure you really want a phone that size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

Cheers lads. It's looking like it'll be between the Mi 5 and the Mi Max. Larger screen size is drawing me towards the Mi Max. Look's like fantastic value for money. I see some people wary of the large size but I don't think it would be an issue for myself.
    Would anyone have any info on what either phone is like day-to-day?
    Also, can anyone recommend a good seller possibly in Europe as I would be hoping to get it ASAP.

Thanks again lads.

http://www.adverts.ie/shops/xiaomi-shop/
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/xiaomi-mi5-32gb-3gb-ram-fingerprint-scanner-irish-stock/11150728

This seller recently popped up on adverts. Doesn't seem to have the max but you could contact them to see if they have any due or could get it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Cheers lads. It's looking like it'll be between the Mi 5 and the Mi Max. Larger screen size is drawing me towards the Mi Max. Look's like fantastic value for money. I see some people wary of the large size but I don't think it would be an issue for myself.
    Would anyone have any info on what either phone is like day-to-day?
    Also, can anyone recommend a good seller possibly in Europe as I would be hoping to get it ASAP.

Thanks again lads.

Saw this site, they have 1 extra year warranty for €4.75, a repair centre in Poland and shipping is 3 to 5 days. Never used them before though
    https://www.ibuygou.com/categories/xiaomi-mi-max-1.html

Saw this site, they have 1 extra year warranty for €4.75, a repair centre in Poland and shipping is 3 to 5 days. Never used them before though
    https://www.ibuygou.com/categories/xiaomi-mi-max-1.htmlhttp://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.png

This looks pretty decent. I need to buy from somewhere on this side of the world for a decent delivry time. By chance does anyone have any experience with this crowd?
    Looks like I'll be going with the Mi Max. Go big or go home as they say :D

Not sure of European shops that might have it. Did you message the adverts seller to see if he has any due in soon?

http://www.honorbuy.com/110-xiaomi-max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

corkie wrote: »
    Have a read of this thread on reddit regarding the Mi 5s, people are recommending just the Mi 5 (without the "s").

I received my Mi5s last night. I can't compare it thoroughly to the Mi5, but I'm very impressed with the phone so far. It's snappy, works perfectly on 4G with 3 (in Dublin city centre) and has an excellent camera. I'm sure the Mi5 is just as good in those respects though.

The reason I opted for the 's' version was simply due to the build. Sure, it might be lacking Gorilla Glass, but the metal build was much more appealing to me than the glass construction of the Mi5. I have held a Mi5 and it's like a bar of soap in one's hand. I was also concerned about the fragility of the Mi5 having felt how light it is, and having watched a terrifying bend test video (for what that's worth). The Mi5s comes across as a much sturdier device.

I have one gripe with the Mi5s, however: the fingerprint scanner. It initially worked about 90% of the time but has become quite temperamental since I slapped a screen protector on the phone. This protector doesn't cover the sensor but caused all sorts of trouble. This morning I had a success rate of less than 50%, but thankfully I found a technique that has improved that significantly.

Thanks for all the replies lads, very helpful. Unfortunately I'm still unsure of which phone but it'll likely be either the Mi5 or Mi Max. Right now the Mi Max is the front runner due to it's large screen and better battery life from what I can see. I haven't set myself to Xiaomi though so would still be open to other ideas from people.
    Also, liking the idea of both sites recommended by the previous posters but would like to hear from personal experiences of fellow boardsies.
    I've done a quick search but if there are any ore recent reviews please share!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Equium wrote:
    I have one gripe with the Mi5s, however: the fingerprint scanner. It initially worked about 90% of the time but has become quite temperamental since I slapped a screen protector on the phone. This protector doesn't cover the sensor but caused all sorts of trouble. This morning I had a success rate of less than 50%, but thankfully I found a technique that has improved that significantly.

I've noticed on mine redmi 3 pro that my pointer finger on my right hand doesn't always work the fingerprint scanner. I've set up pointer finger and middle finger on each hand. All other three fingers work all the time except the right pointer finger. I reckon I've a faulty finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I bought my Mi 5 from Eglobalcentral, you might try them also. They have EU warehouse, I found them to be priced roughly the same as any other online store (if maybe a little higher). My Mi5 came in a sealed box with official global rom to.

Has anyone found a app that can handle how notification previous work and change it to a swipe to see preview instead of the silly 2 finger pulldown? Is there an xposed module for it? Similarly for the lockscreen is there any way to have the same setup as with normal android?

This is one reason drawing me to installing Cyanogen or Lineage (once theres an official rom) but it's a bit of hassle when I can use prime and a theme to get a cleaner android look.

---edit---

I'm waiting for a cover before I use the Mi5, as it does seem fragile enough but I like it even though I probably prefer a metal back I wanted the slightly smaller form factor of the Mi5 vs the Mi5s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Hi guys got a dhl tracking number 4 days ago from seller and says shipping information received but still in Hong Kong.do dhl update these packages as they get them or how does it work.i thought it would have left china by now since I bought it on the 9.1.17.any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Hi guys got a dhl tracking number 4 days ago from seller and says shipping information received but still in Hong Kong.do dhl update these packages as they get them or how does it work.i thought it would have left china by now since I bought it on the 9.1.17.any ideas

In my experience, when they finally give you a tracking number they have only just ordered the courier/delivery,it can take a day or two before the courier actually collects the package,only then will it start to move and the shipping info will update,slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

wiz569 wrote: »
    In my experience, when they finally give you a tracking number they have only just ordered the courier/delivery,it can take a day or two before the courier actually collects the package,only then will it start to move and the shipping info will update,slowly

Ya was thinking that but after 4 days without a update Is snails pace lol especially for dhl express

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Hey all.

Does anyone here own an Elephone S7? Would you recommend it? What's it like with regards updates etc. Where is the best place to buy from? Anyone here use Tomtop, antelife or coolicool? All appear to have European based warehouses. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 POD9

Hi all, been following this thread for a long time and hoping someone can help.
    I bought an Ulefone Vienna for my fiancee at Xmas and the microphone has stopped working. No one she calls can hear her. I've tried all the settings but can't see anything wrong.
    I talked her into trying an Asian phone so I'm hoping it doesn't backfire on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

POD9 wrote: »
    Hi all, been following this thread for a long time and hoping someone can help.
    I bought an Ulefone Vienna for my fiancee at Xmas and the microphone has stopped working. No one she calls can hear her. I've tried all the settings but can't see anything wrong.
    I talked her into trying an Asian phone so I'm hoping it doesn't backfire on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Does the mic work when taking a call using the loudspeaker? The same thing happened to a HTC one I had a few years ago and that worked. Remember all phones can break down, I'm sure similar issues occur with iphones and samsungs as well. It's just much harder to fix if you've bought it from an online store on the other side of the world...

Failing that you're looking at sending it back to the seller which is a long process, probably about a month. Try contacting them and see what they say. If you didn't want to be without the phone for that long you could always try a local repair shop (if you're in Dublin) but that will void your warranty once they open it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Hey all.

Does anyone here own an Elephone S7? Would you recommend it? What's it like with regards updates etc. Where is the best place to buy from? Anyone here use Tomtop, antelife or coolicool? All appear to have European based warehouses. Thanks.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/elephone-s7-review-3652835/?p=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

POD9 wrote: »
    rickyjb wrote: »
    Remember all phones can break down, I'm sure similar issues occur with iphones and samsungs as well. It's just much harder to fix if you've bought it from an online store on the other side of the world...
    Also every phone is made in Asia these days and Samsung, LG and all of the other big names are all Asian too. The only non Asian phone companies I'm aware of are Apple and Wileyfox but their phones are still made in Asia and most of the components sourced from there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Bahanaman wrote: »

Yeah, read that. Just wondered if any boards users have one and what site is used the most from the users here regardless of the phone, just what the most reliable is.

I'm hoping somebody may be able to help. With my Mi4 crapping out a few days after I received it I'm in urgent need of a phone before I fly away on the 30th. Does anybody know anywhere I can order a reasonable device and have it arrive the 27th or 30th?

I'd like to stick to the Xiaomi Mi series, 4, 5 or a variant of, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I'm hoping somebody may be able to help. With my Mi4 crapping out a few days after I received it I'm in urgent need of a phone before I fly away on the 30th. Does anybody know anywhere I can order a reasonable device and have it arrive the 27th or 30th?

http://www.mishop.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Kavrocks wrote: »

Eglobalcentral? I got my mi5 there

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

Original Xiaomi Mi5 M5 Mi 5 Prime 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 820 5.15" FHD 16MP Fingerprint ID NFC [Official Global ROM]
    http://s.aliexpress.com/INbQRvia
    (from AliExpress Android)

This one work over here ok? It has the global ROM? My wife's phone is dying so wanted to get her a sim free one and this sounds great.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Thanks a mil, ordered from him there.
    jozi wrote: »
    Eglobalcentral? I got my mi5 there
    6 - 8 working days delivery is cutting it a bit short for me. If I had the time that would have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I see the official global rom for the Redmi 4 prime/pro has been released was going to install it but reading the Xaomi forums it seems buggy as hell with the worst issue being the "Sleep of Death" where phone won't power on unless you do a factory reset and also crackly speaker in apps like Spotify and WhatsApp. So I will hold off updating until they fix these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I see the official global rom for the Redmi 4 prime/pro has been released was going to install it but reading the Xaomi forums it seems buggy as hell with the worst issue being the "Sleep of Death" where phone won't power on unless you do a factory reset and also crackly speaker in apps like Spotify and WhatsApp. So I will hold off updating until they fix these issues.

Did you get it from here? Sound was fixed a week ago.

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/7-1-19-20.37825/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement