Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

abarkie wrote: »
    This was my original post

On that link it seems at least 2 people have used different ones and seem to be working fine

Fingers crossed

Got one delivered and all is working fine

2 Sims & Micro SD card in my Xiaomi Note 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I've been looking at getting the official protective silicon case for the Xiaomi Mi5 but I'm unable to find the white version of it. I don't suppose anybody here knows where I might find it in white?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

I flashed it using the instructions here:

http://xiaomitips.com/guide/how-to-root-locked-redmi-note-3-snapdragon/

Got rid of the bloatware / malware walkfree that was showing up

Just waiting for my dual sim extender to come so i have 2 sims & SD card then can ditch the Jiayu S3

Got an update message, so hit update

Now a just get a MI logo on reboot

Any suggestions on what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Got an update message, so hit update

Now a just get a MI logo on reboot

Any suggestions on what to do?

You'll just have to flash a stable ROM onto your phone. Using flash tool and the already enabled drivers , flash said ROM in fastboot mode using the guides you'll find when typing it into Google on the mi forums.

I've had to flash my device a few times recently before I discovered the issue was hardware related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know the best place to get reliable USB C cables? Either a brand that I can trust from China (Xiaomi etc.) or Amazon or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Boxty123

Thinking of purchasing a Xiaomi Redmi 4 pro from HK Goldway on AliExpress. Any one have this model of phone? How would you rate it? Thanks

Anyone know the best place to get reliable USB C cables? Either a brand that I can trust from China (Xiaomi etc.) or Amazon or similar
    Aukey, Anker and Tronsmart are all good makes. Benson Leung has made several recommendations based on his tests and teardowns. A quick google of his name and spreadsheet brings up several useful links.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I was looking at Amazon the other day for USB c cables. Accidentally ordered two anker micro USB cables instead of USB c. Have a few alert ones already and can't fault them, as kavrock mentions aukey are also reliable.

I'm using a redmi 4 pro at the minute, I quite like it. I don't play games or anything so I can't comment there but it's a nice phone, by no means slim with that massive battery. I can easily manage 2 full days (21% left since yesterday morning), have managed going well into a3rd day with it during a regular work week.

Personally I'm not a massive miui fan, I believe Huawei are similar, loads of features and what not but I didn't like a few things like how notifications can't be expanded. I also put nova launcher on because I prefer am app drawer and nice clean home screens.

Overall for the money you can't go wrong at all. Just make sure you don't get a vendor rom and wipe it if you do. Also the global rom just came out, I on developer but will be flashing when I give the phone to my girlfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

If your near the border you can post using royal mail no problems. Had to do this a few times
    Thanks but I'm down the other end, might have to just stick it a padded envelope and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Face planted my Umi Super, 2 small cracks on the upper left corner.....phone is crazy unresponsive at times and cant text certain letters unless I rotate the phone :pac: bought a 2nd hand Galaxy note 3 for a few months until something new comes out that I like.

• Advertisement

jozi wrote: »
    Personally I'm not a massive miui fan, I believe Huawei are similar, loads of features and what not but I didn't like a few things like how notifications can't be expanded. I also put nova launcher on because I prefer am app drawer and nice clean home screens.
    I know what you mean about MIUI. I too am using Nova. It takes some steps forward over stock Android but for me it takes some serious steps backwards and notifications is the big one.

You can expand notifications. It's not easy and requires two fingers, one to hold the notification and the other to pull it down. I can only do it with two hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Definitely notifications is the big one. I don't think you need to hold the notification with one fingr and pull with the other, swiping down with both fingers should work. I looked into some exposed modules to expand notifications like on normal Android, closest being to always expand or expand on first tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Charging port just gone on my redmi note 2

Is it a handy repair?

Drop it to a repair shop I think its a loose wire which is a common thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Looking for a replacement for my 2 year old OnePlus One which has served me very well but is beginning to show its age and the battery is declining.

Thinking of the Umi Z which looks very well spec'd, comes with Android 6 vanilla and is €250 from https://www.igogo.es/product496090.html In general the reviews seem very positive e.g. http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-UMi-Z--Helio-X27-Samsung-made-camera-huge-battery-at-a-competitive-price_id89812

My main concern is the GPS performance of the Mediatek CPU. I previously had a phone with a Mediatek CPU and it's GPS performance was terrible. Does anyone know if this is still an issue with Mediatek CPU's?

I'd appreciate the thoughts of those in the know here whether the Umi Z is going to be a good choice or whether I should fork out the extra €200 and go for a OnePlus Three.

Also, I know there's a cool website which allows you to compare phone specs and where to buy online etc but for the life of me I can't find it. Can someone put me out of my misery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Similar to the above, I'm looking for a new phone. Have nearly pulled the trigger on a OnePlus 3T a couple of times but these cheap Chinese phones look like great value.

Does anyone here have an Ulefone? They look amazing value on GearBest at the moment.

http://www.gearbest.com/top-brands/ulefone/43.html

It looks like they use both of the Three 4G bands and possibly run stock Android? I can't see anything about a custom rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Looking for a replacement for my 2 year old OnePlus One which has served me very well but is beginning to show its age and the battery is declining.

Thinking of the Umi Z which looks very well spec'd, comes with Android 6 vanilla and is €250 from https://www.igogo.es/product496090.html In general the reviews seem very positive e.g. http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-UMi-Z--Helio-X27-Samsung-made-camera-huge-battery-at-a-competitive-price_id89812

My main concern is the GPS performance of the Mediatek CPU. I previously had a phone with a Mediatek CPU and it's GPS performance was terrible. Does anyone know if this is still an issue with Mediatek CPU's?

I'd appreciate the thoughts of those in the know here whether the Umi Z is going to be a good choice or whether I should fork out the extra €200 and go for a OnePlus Three.

Also, I know there's a cool website which allows you to compare phone specs and where to buy online etc but for the life of me I can't find it. Can someone put me out of my misery?

Not sure on that particular UMI phone but there is mixed reviews on this thread regarding the brand. http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057438440&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=umi
    Wheety wrote: »
    Similar to the above, I'm looking for a new phone. Have nearly pulled the trigger on a OnePlus 3T a couple of times but these cheap Chinese phones look like great value.

Does anyone here have an Ulefone? They look amazing value on GearBest at the moment.

http://www.gearbest.com/top-brands/ulefone/43.html

It looks like they use both of the Three 4G bands and possibly run stock Android? I can't see anything about a custom rom?

I have recommended the Ulefone Power a few times (can be got on Amazon delivered for about €160)
    Battery life is great 6500mah. Decent screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Kimovil.com is the site you are after

Have the Umi super, GPS is terrible, also coverage can go or not pick up 3G/4G as well as other phones would.

GBX wrote: »
    I have recommended the Ulefone Power a few times (can be got on Amazon delivered for about €160)

Have any of the Ulefones come with NFC?

• Advertisement

Do any of the Ulefones come with NFC?

The only Ulefone I can see with it is the Armor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Finally got to test the GPS on the Umi Super....worked perfectly :)
    Have the Umi super, GPS is terrible, also coverage can go or not pick up 3G/4G as well as other phones would.

Ah now which is it??? :confused::D

Eagle Eye Eamonn on the case again :D

The only Ulefone I can see with it is the Armor

Yeah, had a trawl through them there. Might grab a Power or a Metal from the EU warehouse. Only €147.15 and €109.58 respectively. When you scroll down it says free delivery but beside the price it has a delivery charge of less than €6. Would do me for a year or so. I guess I don't need NFC that much.

Power:
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_230567.html?wid=3

Metal:
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_411512.html?wid=3

Not sure which one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I already have some experience with Umi phones as I purchased an Umi Plus for my 16 year old son and after 3 months use he's very very happy with it.

Pros:
    - Cost. Super value for money.
    - Screen. Really good screen.
    - Speed. Very fast processor. He plays some heavy games and multi tasks and it's been smooth as butter.
    - OTA updates. Very close to vanilla Android 6 so no bloatware.
    - Fingerprint sensor. Seriously quick and consistent performance from the fingerprint reader built into the "home" button. Very convenient and something I'd like to have in my next phone which the Z also has.
    - Battery life. Very strong, easily lasts all day.
    - Fast charging.
    - USB C.

Cons:
    - GPS performance. Pretty poor, it can be slow to lock on, can have poor GPS signal (relative to other phones in the same spot) and jumps around a lot if being used for Google Navigation.
    - The micro SD card tray seems to have a little play in it as the SD card unmounts from time to time. Applying a little sellotape to keep the card in situ seems to have solved the issue.
    - USB C port. The Plus has a non standard USB C port which means not all USB C cables will work. The USB C plug needs to be a little longer than standard to work with the Plus. This issue is resolved in the Umi Z.
    - Cases. Not a great selection.

Three of my sons pals have subsequently purchased Umi Plus's and all are happy.

I use Google Navigation a lot so my main concern ref the Umi Z is whether the GPS performance issues are resolved given the Z has a new Mediatek chipset or do Mediatek just not get how to implement good GPS connectivity??

I think I'll order the Z from http://en.efox-shop.com/?_xc_ls=en and if the GPS performance is poor I'll return it as their website states "We guarantee: 0-7 days full refund in case of defect".

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah, had a trawl through them there. Might grab a Power or a Metal from the EU warehouse. Only €147.15 and €109.58 respectively. When you scroll down it says free delivery but beside the price it has a delivery charge of less than €6. Would do me for a year or so. I guess I don't need NFC that much.

Power:
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_230567.html?wid=3

Metal:
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_411512.html?wid=3

Not sure which one to go for.

Bear in mind if ordering from Gearbest you might get hit with customs charges. Check Amazon UK - that's where I've gotten the 2 for family. Delivered in 2/3 days and no duty .

Bear in mind if ordering from Gearbest you might get hit with customs charges. Check Amazon UK - that's where I've gotten the 2 for family. Delivered in 2/3 days and no duty .

They're both from the EU warehouse so I would presume I'd be ok? It was slightly cheaper to order from HK warehouse but I'd gladly pay the extra to avoid any potential customs fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Hi folks,

Has anyone any experience with the zte nubia z11, the leeco cool 1 duel or the zuk 2 all 4gb and 64 rom. I've seen a few phones on adverts from a seller in lucan that seem decent enough value. Hard to know which one to go for.

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    Ah now which is it??? :confused::D

It worked once :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement