Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah, had a trawl through them there. Might grab a Power or a Metal from the EU warehouse. Only €147.15 and €109.58 respectively. When you scroll down it says free delivery but beside the price it has a delivery charge of less than €6. Would do me for a year or so. I guess I don't need NFC that much.

Power:
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_230567.html?wid=3

Metal:
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_411512.html?wid=3

Not sure which one to go for.

there is a new one presale now..
    Dual camera and same price as the older models i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

My new Xiaomi phone (RedMi Note 3 Pro) arrived into Athlone this morning and went straight to customs. I'm assuming it's a given then that there'll be a cost. It's years since I had a package stopped for customs so can someone remind me of the process. It's due to be shipped to my work address so there won't be someone waiting with cash for postman.
    Do they email me with a bill?
    Does the postman deliver a bill?
    Do they make best estimate of value on Chinese phones? If over actual price can I email them receipt or ony snail mail?
    Can I pay online or have to wait for a cheque?
    Bottom line is I'm trying to figure out how quick I'll be able to get my hands on it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

g0g wrote: »
    My new Xiaomi phone (RedMi Note 3 Pro) arrived into Athlone this morning and went straight to customs. I'm assuming it's a given then that there'll be a cost. It's years since I had a package stopped for customs so can someone remind me of the process. It's due to be shipped to my work address so there won't be someone waiting with cash for postman.
    Do they email me with a bill?
    Does the postman deliver a bill?
    Do they make best estimate of value on Chinese phones? If over actual price can I email them receipt or ony snail mail?
    Can I pay online or have to wait for a cheque?
    Bottom line is I'm trying to figure out how quick I'll be able to get my hands on it! :)

Forward your invoice to athlonepost@revenue.ie and quote the tracking number. Then you'll get charged the correct rate (23*total inc shipping + €7 handling fee) and itll be sent out for delivery.

As far as I know its still COD to the postie. Let your receptionist know to expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

ED E wrote: »
    Forward your invoice to athlonepost@revenue.ie and quote the tracking number. Then you'll get charged the correct rate (23*total inc shipping + €7 handling fee) and itll be sent out for delivery.

As far as I know its still COD to the postie. Let your receptionist know to expect that.
    Nice one thanks. Does that mean potentially postie will show up with the package and a bill that could be pad on the spot? Assume I'd have to know exact value to give to post room to hand over then?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep. If you email athlone they'll send back the fee so you're prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Out of nowhere my phone is producing pop ups (mobile strike Ali express) while on snapchat or Facebook and only between the hours of 12 and about 8am its so random.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I have a problem :D

Got the Galaxy note 3 last week after the Umi Super broke.......went and bought the PPTV King 7 today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Every phone Ive had has had a small flaw, only one I care about are crappy batteries!
    I have a problem :D

Got the Galaxy note 3 last week after the Umi Super broke.......went and bought the PPTV King 7 today :pac:

:D Will the battery life not be a problem for you with that one ?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

eamonnq wrote: »

It wont matter he will drop it before it becomes a concern :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

bigmike99 wrote: »
    there is a new one presale now..
    Dual camera and same price as the older models i think.

Yeah, I was looking at that one too. Only €132 on Banggood :eek:

Although that is shipping from HK so there may be customs but they won't be much considering the price of the phone. Should be less than €40 if it's caught.

http://www.banggood.com/Ulefone-Gemini-5_5-Inch-Dual-Rear-Camera-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-MTK6737T-Quad-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1122436.html?rmmds=search

I still haven't bought a new phone yet. Keep swinging between wanting one of these cheap Ulefones, a Mi5 or just spend the extra on a 3T.

• Advertisement

3610mAh with fast charge suits me :) Anything over 3000mAh is ok, when I posted that I was coming off 2 Elephones I think :D
    wiz569 wrote: »
    It wont matter he will drop it before it becomes a concern :D
    This is only my second! It's the smallest of cracks but the touch has gone bonkers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

3610mAh with fast charge suits me :) Anything over 3000mAh is ok, when I posted that I was coming off 2 Elephones I think :D

Yeah, I would have thought battery was big enough, but reviews on Kimovil seem to have the battery in the negatives mostly, but sure it has to be worth a go at that price anyway!!

Yeah, I would have thought battery was big enough, but reviews on Kimovil seem to have the battery in the negatives mostly, but sure it has to be worth a go at that price anyway!!

I assume the 2K 6 inch screen wont help :pac: my friend needs a new phone so he'll prob take it if I dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

My new Oneplus 3T is being delivered tomorrow. I am upgrading from a Galaxy S4. Can anyone tell me if the switchover is easy? Will all my apps sync when I register the oneplus with my gmail account? Whats the easiest way to transfer contacts, messages, etc. from the S4 to the Oneplus???

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I can't help with the phone numbers as I somehow lost mine when moving from the S6 to a temporary phone recently. The Apps you currently have downloaded will be offered to you to download when you switch it on making it much easier at least.

You could also use Android Mobile Manager to transfer things over and there's also a way of holding phones back to back to transfer details. I never liked this setup though.

Mine arrives tomorrow as well, Left Gatwick today at 7:01am(you'd swear it would have another scan 12 hours later but no)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If your contacts are synced to your Google account when you log in you should see them on the new south phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've had my 1+1 for 2+yrs but I fancy a new phone, and going for a Chinese brand. Budget is MAX €250 and I think I have it narrow down to the Umi Plus E, but just want to make sure I'm not missing a better phone in that price range.

Any suggestions of a better phone than the Umi Plus E are welcomed.

I ordered a Ulefone metal today. Was €115 delivered from Gearbest's EU warehouse. Hope to get at least a year out of it.

I ordered a Ulefone metal today. Was €115 delivered from Gearbest's EU warehouse. Hope to get at least a year out of it.

Uh oh you summoned Rossieman :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Lads is this Nubia max a good deal. Currently using a Smart Ultra 6 which has taken a few bangs. How much would customs charge and is it possible to avoid by ordering from netherlands (can't see option) cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You rang?

No you can't avoid customs from banggood.

It's a good deal, although phone is aging and over w years old now.

Will run 6.0 on a custom ROM, android pay doesn't work with it as of yet, probably never.

Uh oh you summoned Rossieman :P

What's wrong with Gearbest's EU Warehouse? Do they not really have one? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Senna wrote: »
    I've had my 1+1 for 2+yrs but I fancy a new phone, and going for a Chinese brand. Budget is MAX €250 and I think I have it narrow down to the Umi Plus E, but just want to make sure I'm not missing a better phone in that price range.

Any suggestions of a better phone than the Umi Plus E are welcomed.

Bought an Umi Plus for my son and wrote about the pro's and con's in this thread.

I believe the Umi E is a souped up version of the Plus with 6GB of RAM being one of the main attractions but I have read elsewhere that having 6GB RAM is a waste as the phone won't use it. Not sure how true that is.

I'm currently considering purchasing the new Umi Z (I also have a 2 year old 1+1) which you can compare to the Plus and E models here.

Personally I'm probably going to wait to see some real world reviews of the Z before puling the trigger.

Hope that helps.

What's wrong with Gearbest's EU Warehouse? Do they not really have one? :eek:

They do and Ive gotten a few things from it but they have a shady history and Rossieman hates them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

They do and Ive gotten a few things from it but they have a shady history and Rossieman hates them :D

You have been advised before,stay away from GearBest.

And they don't have an EU warehouse, you can't return or contact them there, no address either.

It's a little Chinese woman living beside the airport.

Be warned, GB are the worst of the lot.

RossieMan wrote: »
    And they don't have an EU warehouse, you can't return or contact them there, no address either.

It's a little Chinese woman living beside the airport.

Be warned, GB are the worst of the lot.

Yes they do Ive gotten a few things that arrived within 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Got my Oneplus 3t in the post today. Very impressed. However I am trying to get the device to sync all of the apps on my old android. Is there an easy way to do this??? In the past I have only ever used Samsungs and this process seemed to run automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yes they do Ive gotten a few things that arrived within 2 days.

That was from the little chinese women living beside the airport :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement