Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Update to my post above, emailed them and explained the situation to see what they say and they asked for order number, photos or video.. lol kinda hard to take a photo of a call, and when I make a call and record it on the phone itself it sounds fine, I wonder if I make a call and take a video with someone elses phone would it pick it up? Cos when I switch to loudspeaker its fine (different speaker so thats obvious)

Ask them where they think the parts for the Samsung and Apple phones they fix come from.

I'd ring around and ask a few places until someone says they can try it, be prepared to wait 4-6 weeks though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Update to my post above, emailed them and explained the situation to see what they say and they asked for order number, photos or video.. lol kinda hard to take a photo of a call, and when I make a call and record it on the phone itself it sounds fine, I wonder if I make a call and take a video with someone elses phone would it pick it up? Cos when I switch to loudspeaker its fine (different speaker so thats obvious)

Ask them where they think the parts for the Samsung and Apple phones they fix come from.

I'd ring around and ask a few places until someone says they can try it, be prepared to wait 4-6 weeks though
    Thats what I was thinking myself! I found a place ************ in Dublin they do free check and quote, if they cant fix it there's no charge. Anyone ever use them?

ah sorry can't quote name, but its a place in dublin lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The earpiece is a very easy fix, literally pop it out and click the new one in, its a delicate part though so be careful, I rested my thumb on the one in my Oneplus when I was replacing the screen and destroyed it, had to wait a few weeks for a new one, maybe get the part and give it to them or just do it yourself, get a couple as you can crush them in your hand even when being careful:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=y&isViewCP=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170207131546&SearchText=redmi+note+4+earpiece&blanktest=0&tc=af

Also thats assuming the fault is in the speaker itself not the connection or the motherboard or the hundred other things that could be causing crackling...

Oh thanks Thargor, will buy a few and see can my local shop do it, I'd have no clue about taking the phone apart myself, are there special tools for it? or is it just the 2 tiny screws at the bottom that you open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Any love on here for the Lenovo P2?http://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_p2-8319.php

Dat battery...

Komplett have it for 300.

Snapdragon 625 phones don't come cheap. I think it's such a good chipset for a midranger SoC that OEMs are being wary of not competing with their own flagships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Right lads can someone help me here, ordered the PPTV from tinydeal and was shipped within a day tracking number etc, DHL Germany shipped it to Ireland on Saturday but no sign yet and the post office haven't got it....Rang DHL and they told me it takes 8 working days to reach Ireland.....that has to be bull**** right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The dhl tracking number should give you details all the way to the house.

A lot of those aren't stored in the EU and come from China, which is what makes it seem like a long shipping time.

RossieMan wrote: »
    The dhl tracking number should give you details all the way to the house.

A lot of those aren't stored in the EU and come from China, which is what makes it seem like a long shipping time.

DHL tracking has it in Germany though from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If it's DHL express then it travels by road all the way here. My OnePlus came from Poland the same way and took 5 working days.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    If it's DHL express then it travels by road all the way here. My OnePlus came from Poland the same way and took 5 working days.

Not express, might give DHL a call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Exactly. Still in Germany. It's being shipped from China to Germany first, then from Germany to you. Your tracking will only activate when it's received I'd imagine. Probably pretty advised at the moment. Nothing dhl can do, it's tinydeal you need to contact.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Exactly. Still in Germany. It's being shipped from China to Germany first, then from Germany to you. Your tracking will only activate when it's received I'd imagine. Probably pretty advised at the moment. Nothing dhl can do, it's tinydeal you need to contact.

Where do you get this stuff from :D I have tracking from DHL which has updated 4 times.

Date/Time
    City Status Fri, 03.02.17 18:30 -- The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically Fri, 03.02.17 20:05 Bruchsal, Germany The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin Sat, 04.02.17 06:15 Köln, Germany The shipment has been processed in the destination parcel center Sat, 04.02.17 08:14 Köln, Germany The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: http://track.anpost.ie/track/trackone.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Can anyone recommend a phone around the €200 mark

Lost my ZUKz1 on Monday and need to replace it ASAP so ideally would like to get something coming from an EU warehouse

The zuk z2 is available within budget but will take a few weeks to arrive.

Thanks in advance

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a phone around the €200 mark

Lost my ZUKz1 on Monday and need to replace it ASAP so ideally would like to get something coming from an EU warehouse

The zuk z2 is available within budget but will take a few weeks to arrive.

Thanks in advance

Xiaomi Note 4

Oh thanks Thargor, will buy a few and see can my local shop do it, I'd have no clue about taking the phone apart myself, are there special tools for it? or is it just the 2 tiny screws at the bottom that you open?
    Looks easy enough, just keep in mind how delicate everything is, dont be forcing it, think about every step before you do it.

I cant find a Note 4 earpiece video but it will be similar to the 2:

You can do it with a Swiss Army knife or any small tools you have around the place but yeah it is nicer with phone tools, good to have a set handy, its mostly the tiny screws that will catch you out, the slightly soft pry bars are nice aswell:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=y&isViewCP=y&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170208085259&SearchText=phone+tools&blanktest=0&tc=af

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

I put in an order for a Mi5 the other day with Eglobal and sent in a ticket wondering what the delay was. They got back to me and said they were all out of stock and contacting their supplier for more - dirty feckers put my order into "Packing & Delivering soon" an hour later so that makes cancelling it a lot harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

corwill wrote: »
    Any love on here for the Lenovo P2?http://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_p2-8319.php

Dat battery...

Komplett have it for 300.

Snapdragon 625 phones don't come cheap. I think it's such a good chipset for a midranger SoC that OEMs are being wary of not competing with their own flagships.

Typing this on a Lenovo P2. I've inly been using it a few days coming from a zuk z1 (which I loved) and it's great. Flies along and nothing I can throw at it will allow it down. Nice bright screen and the battery is properly fantastic. I'm only going 2 days usage then charging as I'm reasonably heavy user but reckon it could squeeze to three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Jesus, last post full of typos and I can't edit for some reason. I got the Lenovo p2 in the UK. Three we selling them for £200. It's the 4gb version with 32gb hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

BeerFarts wrote: »
    I put in an order for a Mi5 the other day with Eglobal and sent in a ticket wondering what the delay was. They got back to me and said they were all out of stock and contacting their supplier for more - dirty feckers put my order into "Packing & Delivering soon" an hour later so that makes cancelling it a lot harder.
    They did that to me also! Worth the wait though, very nice phone but make sure you get a cover! All that glass make ur very slippery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

jozi wrote: »
    They did that to me also! Worth the wait though, very nice phone but make sure you get a cover! All that glass make ur very slippery

Did it take long in the end? I don't mind waiting a week or 2 but not sure I can wait a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Where do you get this stuff from :D I have tracking from DHL which has updated 4 times.

Date/Time
    City Status Fri, 03.02.17 18:30 -- The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically Fri, 03.02.17 20:05 Bruchsal, Germany The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin Sat, 04.02.17 06:15 Köln, Germany The shipment has been processed in the destination parcel center Sat, 04.02.17 08:14 Köln, Germany The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: http://track.anpost.ie/track/trackone.html)

It doesn't actually say the they have the package. Read it again, it's only the shipping has been arranged for when they get the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Senna wrote: »
    It doesn't actually say the they have the package. Read it again, it's only the shipping has been arranged for when they get the package.

In fairness it does say it has been processed in parcel centre of origin as well as the destination parcel centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Can I ask how you established that the GPS signal is better on the E? I hope it's true and in particular for the Z as that's the only reason I haven't purchased one yet.

GPS works fine on the Umi Z but the phone itself is a bit underwhelming tbh,

Standard chinese phone camera,despite all the blurb,

Battery about a day and a half medium usage,but I charge it every night just incase,

Its fast enough alright but the fingerprint scanner is very hit and miss,

I suppose the best bit is the bare bones android OS,

Not sure it was worth the €240 I paid inc delivery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

BeerFarts wrote: »
    Did it take long in the end? I don't mind waiting a week or 2 but not sure I can wait a month.
    I'd have to check dates but I think it took about a week or so for them to get the phone and about that again for delivery. It was the initial waiting for them to get stock that annoyed me the most. A month waiting on a case from Ali and still not turned up

Whats the feeling on MTK processors these days? Has GPS performance been sorted on newer quad and octa core phones generally? Any other issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hiyoo92

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the feeling on MTK processors these days? Has GPS performance been sorted on newer quad and octa core phones generally? Any other issues?

Long time follower and first time poster to this tread. Just got an Elephone S7 a fortnight ago and it's GPS is shocking. I'd use it fairly often so it's abit of a pain when it gets a mind of its own. Other than that the performance is great apart from the camera and battery. It's quick and does the job well and hasn't let me down yet. Battery life could be better though as I'd only get a day from normal enough use but the fast charging does help that alot in fairness.

Senna wrote: »

Got through to someone in DHL who advised it takes 8 days because the plane makes multiple stops in the UK :mad: Next time ill order direct from China I'll have it within a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Thargor wrote: »

As far as I can tell, the GPS is still an issue with MTK processors, I thought there were a few phones that did not have the issue, but I would think if you were looking for decent GPS it would be better to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

wiz569 wrote: »
    GPS works fine on the Umi Z but the phone itself is a bit underwhelming tbh...

Not sure it was worth the €240 I paid inc delivery :(
    In my experience that's always the case with UMi.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement