Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah, MTK and GPS are still 2 words that id avoid if I needed it ultra reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Senna wrote: »
    It doesn't actually say the they have the package. Read it again, it's only the shipping has been arranged for when they get the package.

Got through to someone in DHL who advised it takes 8 days because the plane makes multiple stops in the UK :mad: Next time ill order direct from China I'll have it within a week!
    Mine took longer to get from Dublin to Sligo, than from China to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Mi Max International Edition - $189.99 @ Geekbuying
    Would likely incur customs charges coming from HK - but still a good price.

[HK Stock][International Edition]Xiaomi Mi Max 6.44 Inch FHD MIUI 8 64bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 Smartphone HexaCore 3GB 32GB 5.0MP 16.0MP TOUCH ID 4850mAh Battery IR Remote Control - Silver

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Are customs charges worse in Ireland or the UK?

I work in the North so I could get delivery there.

Or is that a "breaking the rules" kinda question to ask? If so please delete and accept my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Are customs charges worse in Ireland or the UK?

I work in the North so I could get delivery there.

Or is that a "breaking the rules" kinda question to ask? If so please delete and accept my apologies.

I think they are less likely to be applied if shipping to the North, parcel motel is popular with some people for this reason too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I'm coming from a smart ultra 6, it has seen better days so looking at the following 2 options. Ideally 5.5"-5.7"
    I am currently on Meteor and I'm not sure if they are using band 20 as well as band 3 for 4g?

LeEco LETV LE MAX 2 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 2.15GHz Quad Core 5.7 Inches 2K Screen Ultrasonic Touch ID Android 6.0 4G LTE Smartphone

Or the Official Global Version Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 pro prime special Edition Smartphone 5.5 Inch 3GB 32GB 16.0MP .

I have seen positive feedback ref the RN3P and this includes band 20. Is there anyone on here using the LeECO Max 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

glic83 wrote: »
    I have seen positive feedback ref the RN3P and this includes band 20. Is there anyone on here using the LeECO Max 2?

At least two of us.

ED E wrote: »
    At least two of us.

How have you been finding it ED E?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MarkH748

Can anyone advise where would be the best pay to buy a Xiaomi Redmi 4 from? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

MarkH748 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise where would be the best pay to buy a Xiaomi Redmi 4 from? Thanks.

Check the first page for links.

• Advertisement

Got through to someone in DHL who advised it takes 8 days because the plane makes multiple stops in the UK :mad: Next time ill order direct from China I'll have it within a week!

So much for next week it just arrived!

glic83 wrote: »
    How have you been finding it ED E?

Kinda wish Id bought a 3T.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I got mine from mishop.ie

Had it 2 days after ordering with a global ROM installed, for 229

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I got mine from geekbuying but I had to install the global rom myself, aliexpress seems to be a good option and less than 200euro.. I think the good vendors were Goldway and Top something.... Top One?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

So have the redmi note 4 about 2 months now. Once I got the global rom on it, haven't had an inkling of an issue since. Great phone all told, let down only by a not so great camera. Battery is excellent...2 days at a push with heavy usage and 2 sim cards on the majority of the time. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

wiz569 wrote:
    Battery about a day and a half medium usage,but I charge it every night just incase,

Is it really that bad? Disapointing to hear as I planned on buying that after plenty of research on it. Though battery would be better for a 3750 mah battery

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

ED E wrote:
    Kinda wish Id bought a 3T.

How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Is it really that bad? Disapointing to hear as I planned on buying that after plenty of research on it. Though battery would be better for a 3750 mah battery

So did I tbh,its usually between 40%-50% when I stick it on charge at night,which is roughly about 18hrs after I unplugged it that morning, and thats mainly surfing the net,social media,email checking,a few texts and maybe 2-3 short calls

foxatron wrote: »
    How come?
    glic83 wrote:
    Hi ED E, just wondering what's the battery life like on the Le Max 2? How are you finding it overall?

Ive held off on rating it until now as EUI is weird and theres improvements if LeEco bother with an update. But as it stands currently:
    • Model - 6 64 Force Gold (X820 or X822, same thing apparently)
    • Camera - Anti banding for artificial lights doesnt work half the time. Its a Sony 230 but performs a little poorly. Seems like its overly aggressive in bumping up the ISO. No 1080p60? Cmon lads
    • LTE-CA - Doesnt work. This could be a three thing but Im not sure. Its meant to be a CAT12 device(?) but it never locks up the SCC. This means no 4G+ One of the reasons I went from a CAT3 device was to benefit from 4G+ in the few areas where it helps
    • Display - Colours are wonky. At low and high brightness its ok, medium they're totally washed out. Same in the sun. 1440p like my old unit but really not comparable
    • App Management - Tied to battery: By default EUI(MUI) nukes all background processes. Have whatsapp/messenger/hangouts/email etc? Well you wont get any notification until you manually open the app. To fix this you manually have to protect the app. But basically you need to protect most apps. Install a new app and forget? No updates until you remember 3wks later.
    • Battery - By default its great, because nothing runs in the background or connects to the network. When you do the above its average.
    • Fingerprint reader - Claims to store 3 fingerprints. Really its broken and you can only store 1 three times. Otherwise it only works 40% of the time at best.
    • IR Blaster - Kind weak, I dont really use it but it does work and the app isnt terrrible
    • Speaker - Easy to cover like a lot of current devices, only located on the left side(mono), bit tinny
    • Charger - Got a TypeC <-> TypeC cable with a US charger. So you can't use it as a data cable/with other chargers and you need an adapter. Buy an Anker charger and decent USBB<->USBC cable
    • Dual SIM - Gets confused, seems to work poorly even with manual intervention. Twice had to move sim between slots to reset the registration status after moving between home networks(countries).
    • MTP - BROOOOOKEN. Cut a file from the device? It just deletes it. Copy multiple files? Crashes. Ive resorted to only moving files over FTP with ES File Explorer
    • Bluetooth - Seems weaker than previous devices

Overall:
    My previous handset was a Find7 from Oppo. At the time about €420, first unit out with a 1440p display, top of the line almost everything. Early on with VOOC (Like quickcharge). Stellar unit, let down by a few bits in ColorOS but othewise spectacular. They never released a successor. This time going with the real china china brand, €280, 2nd from the top SoC (820 not 821), most top tier features. Really getting towards the point of wanting a ferrari for the price of a fiat. Theres a trend of fingerprint death, with Oppo I was pretty sure of some recourse, with LeEco I'm doubtful. Cant even reg on their forum due to bad code.

Also missing NFC. Wasnt really using it before, ordered the LeEco, next week AndroidPay debuts officially in Ireland :/ Qi would be nice if they werent bothering with NFC.

Its not a bad phone, certainly not a phone for amateurs(dont get it for your GF/Parents), but probably a little bit stuck in between enough for picky enthusiasts and simple to use for teenage girls who want a pink selfie machine.

ED E wrote: »
    Ive held off on rating it until now as EUI is weird and theres improvements if LeEco bother with an update. But as it stands currently:
    • Model - 6 64 Force Gold (X820 or X822, same thing apparently)
    • Camera - Anti banding for artificial lights doesnt work half the time. Its a Sony 230 but performs a little poorly. Seems like its overly aggressive in bumping up the ISO. No 1080p60? Cmon lads
    • LTE-CA - Doesnt work. This could be a three thing but Im not sure. Its meant to be a CAT12 device(?) but it never locks up the SCC. This means no 4G+ One of the reasons I went from a CAT3 device was to benefit from 4G+ in the few areas where it helps
    • Display - Colours are wonky. At low and high brightness its ok, medium they're totally washed out. Same in the sun. 1440p like my old unit but really not comparable
    • App Management - Tied to battery: By default EUI(MUI) nukes all background processes. Have whatsapp/messenger/hangouts/email etc? Well you wont get any notification until you manually open the app. To fix this you manually have to protect the app. But basically you need to protect most apps. Install a new app and forget? No updates until you remember 3wks later.
    • Battery - By default its great, because nothing runs in the background or connects to the network. When you do the above its average.
    • Fingerprint reader - Claims to store 3 fingerprints. Really its broken and you can only store 1 three times. Otherwise it only works 40% of the time at best.
    • IR Blaster - Kind weak, I dont really use it but it does work and the app isnt terrrible
    • Speaker - Easy to cover like a lot of current devices, only located on the left side(mono), bit tinny
    • Charger - Got a TypeC <-> TypeC cable with a US charger. So you can't use it as a data cable/with other chargers and you need an adapter. Buy an Anker charger and decent USBB<->USBC cable
    • Dual SIM - Gets confused, seems to work poorly even with manual intervention. Twice had to move sim between slots to reset the registration status after moving between home networks(countries).
    • MTP - BROOOOOKEN. Cut a file from the device? It just deletes it. Copy multiple files? Crashes. Ive resorted to only moving files over FTP with ES File Explorer
    • Bluetooth - Seems weaker than previous devices

Overall:
    My previous handset was a Find7 from Oppo. At the time about €420, first unit out with a 1440p display, top of the line almost everything. Early on with VOOC (Like quickcharge). Stellar unit, let down by a few bits in ColorOS but othewise spectacular. They never released a successor. This time going with the real china china brand, €280, 2nd from the top SoC (820 not 821), most top tier features. Really getting towards the point of wanting a ferrari for the price of a fiat. Theres a trend of fingerprint death, with Oppo I was pretty sure of some recourse, with LeEco I'm doubtful. Cant even reg on their forum due to bad code.

Also missing NFC. Wasnt really using it before, ordered the LeEco, next week AndroidPay debuts officially in Ireland :/ Qi would be nice if they werent bothering with NFC.

Its not a bad phone, certainly not a phone for amateurs(dont get it for your GF/Parents), but probably a little bit stuck in between enough for picky enthusiasts and simple to use for teenage girls who want a pink selfie machine.

Thanks for the in depth reply. Based on specs I thought this phone was going to be stellar, and I was surprised that there wasn't more people on here with the max 2 because of the specs and price point.

Having read your review , I think I will be giving this a miss, the RN3P has it's short comings as well but it's a bit cheaper and at least I know the camera isn't great from the start. I would have thought the camera in the Max 2 would have been very good ( maybe it's down to software) so it was disappointing to hear it's not as good as it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Hi guys,
    has anyone ordered phones on the pre-sale? I can see some phones like that but usually from HK warehouses(ante,cooli ect). Just wondering how the prices changing after the pre-sale, and how long the waiting time could be to receive the phone. Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

sderref wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    has anyone ordered phones on the pre-sale? I can see some phones like that but usually from HK warehouses(ante,cooli ect). Just wondering how the prices changing after the pre-sale, and how long the waiting time could be to receive the phone. Regards
    Usually not worth it - there are often delays and you want to read reviews first - some phones have a great spec but terrible build quality, software, or both.

They do however sometimes seem to increase in price after presale.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

does someone know if igogo is safe also for custom?
    I am going to buy a phone, like zuk z2 for 160euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Does anyone here have a Xiaomi Mi4c or even owned one previously? Experiencing serious battery drain with moderate use for the last while. Put a stable ROM on it the weekend having previously had a developer ROM on it but still experiencing the same issues.

Not getting notifications for anything pretty much so I've had to turn on autostart for all the apps I want notifications for and turn on all the permissions. I know the autostart apps will seriously drain the battery but it's the only way I can receive notifications.

The reason I updated my phone to the developer ROM originally was because my battery used to just die at 20% and whole the update fixed it, the battery drains so much faster now.

Really beginning to annoy me now and don't want to have to get rid of it over this as it's been a great phone otherwise. It's just too much hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What is safe for custom mean?

Anything outside of the EU is liable for the extra charges.

RossieMan wrote: »
    What is safe for custom mean?

Anything outside of the EU is liable for the extra charges.

English is probably not his first language, I reckon he's asking if they are reliable to buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Anyone know anything about the Asus Pegasus 2 Plus X550? Can be got for 112 euro which seems like a good deal for the specs?

Is there anything else in that price range that competes?

Anyone know anything about the Asus Pegasus 2 Plus X550? Can be got for 112 euro which seems like a good deal for the specs?

Is there anything else in that price range that competes?

I had it, it can be a lil slow and buggy but for the price and possible updates I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I had it, it can be a lil slow and buggy but for the price and possible updates I'd say go for it.

Thanks. Also seen the ZTE Nubia Z7 Max for same price which appears to have better specs. Any thoughts on that one?

Is there anything else I'm missing in this price category?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Also seen the ZTE Nubia Z7 Max for same price which appears to have better specs. Any thoughts on that one?

Is there anything else I'm missing in this price category?

Check kimovil.com

Personally I like the Oukitels and Bluboo's decent devices for the price you're looking at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement