Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You probably will with DHL, there's no guarantee of avoiding customs unless you use an EU Warehouse, which is normally more expensive than getting it from China and paying customs.

Free post has a lower chance of missing customs but I've only ever had one or two bits get through.

I've asked before but why is everyone so adverse to paying customs? You pay it one way or another on everything you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I've asked before but why is everyone so adverse to paying customs? You pay it one way or another on everything you buy

I've no problem paying it, I'd prefer not to but if it's owed its owed.

I'm looking at a LeEco Le Max 2 4GB Ram 64GB Rom for 200 euro with tinydeal.com delivered from China which is well cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. If I am caught for customs what would I be charged and does DHL pay it and I repay them or how does it work?

That's fair enough, we all feel like that but there's some people will only use EU Warehouses or buy from Amazon or Adverts solely to avoid paying customs, I don't understand it myself, cheapest option unless there's feck all difference is my way of going.

It's item+shipping cost * 1.23 + 15 for DHL

200*1.23 =246+15 = €261 total

I think DHL pay and you pay them back, with an extra €15 for the privilege of them doing their job.

It's item+shipping cost * 1.23 + 15 for DHL

Cheers mate. I've been looking non stop for days now, just want a second opinion before I go ahead, would I be right in saying the LeEco phone mentioned above is the best I'm gonna get for 200 quid?

To me it looks it based on the Ram, Rom, and processor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You probably will with DHL, there's no guarantee of avoiding customs unless you use an EU Warehouse, which is normally more expensive than getting it from China and paying customs.

Free post has a lower chance of missing customs but I've only ever had one or two bits get through.

I think buying from Asian vendors a lot of people see is a way to circumvent the rules and the fact that there has been many people who have bought and had not paid customs charges, it has become an expectancy for those who want to get their next device.
    As you said, the EU warehouse offerings have this built into their prices so that part of the transaction is less of a worry. On top of this, some people who buy a new phone because their current one is kaput, want to know if its going to get delayed in the postal process etc.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate. I've been looking non stop for days now, just want a second opinion before I go ahead, would I be right in saying the LeEco phone mentioned above is the best I'm gonna get for 200 quid?

You'd be surprised how much OS can affect a phone. I'm not fully up to speed on phones, I tend to catch up when I'm in the market but that's every 2 years or so.

Quick look at XDA tells me there's some battery problems and that the stock rom has malware problems, didn't see much else that stood out

Quick look at XDA tells me there's some battery problems and that the stock rom has malware problems, didn't see much else that stood out

Malware would be concerning. Any thoughts on the Redmi Note 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

Malware would be concerning. Any thoughts on the Redmi Note 4?

Make sure to get RN4X with snapdragon, or if your not in a rush to buy, wait until hopefully a special edition is available with Band 20 etc.

corkie wrote:
    , or if your not in a rush to buy, wait until hopefully a special edition is available with Band 20 etc.

That's another one out the window so.

What about the Xiaomi Mi 5, is there any issues with it that I should know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What about the Xiaomi Mi 5, is there any issues with it that I should know about?

A few people have gotten one recently - Mi5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

No Band 20 again! Compare your phones on www.kimovil.com.

I have a RN3 (Kenzo) and have no problems with the lack of band 20, but i live in Cork City.

corkie wrote:
    No Band 20 again! Compare your phones on

I've been looking on Kimovil I don't see any reference to bands, is band 20 800MHz?

Am I right in saying 1800MHz will get 4G in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

So with customs charges you buy the phone and then customs is charged afterwards (?) But then how do you pay for it?

So with customs charges you buy the phone and then customs is charged afterwards (?) But then how do you pay for it?

Either the post man or courier, or you can pay an post online I believe but they won't give you the item until you pay

Either the post man or courier, or you can pay an post online I believe but they won't give you the item until you pay

Oh right interesting didn't know any of this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

If its with DHL call them up when its processed and pay by card....they give you a referance for the driver.

If its with DHL call them up when its processed and pay by card....they give you a referance for the driver.

Oh God it sounds like a bit job so?

Can you still pay them in cash? Been 12 months since I've had to deal with them and I'm pretty certain I used cash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Oh God it sounds like a bit job so?

It can all be done online now,
    They will either send an email or text to let you know which will include a link to pay online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I don't see why people don't build customs in to their purchase. If you don't pay it then it's a saving, if you do well you expected it.
    There is a lot more to phones than specifications. I will only buy from a few (a really small number) of manufacturers because software is more important in my opinion. Some phones have great specs but awful software and aren't really worth using in my opinion.
    corkie wrote: »
    No Band 20 again! Compare your phones on www.kimovil.com.
    Band 20 and 4G aren't really that important. Proper 4G hasn't even rolled out fully in Ireland by any operator.
    You can't pay An Post online. You can only pay An Post at the door with cash. I had a package in January with customs charges.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote:
    I don't see why people don't build customs in to their purchase. If you don't pay it then it's a saving, if you do well you expected it.

So it can be paid and sorted when buying the product in the first place

Kavrocks wrote:
    There is a lot more to phones than specifications. I will only buy from a few (a really small number) of manufacturers because software is more important in my opinion. Some phones have great specs but awful software and aren't really worth using in my opinion.

Now I'm really confused... Websites like Kimovil compare and rate phones based on specifications don't they?

What manufacturers would you buy from as a matter of interest?

So it can be paid and sorted when buying the product in the first place

How do you mean? That you would pay the shop when buying?

Now I'm really confused... Websites like Kimovil compare and rate phones based on specifications don't they?

Yep, but they aren't the be all end all.

Like Xiaomi phones have great specs and are normally really solid phones, but I hate MiUi so won't use one without a decent AOSP ROM.

Then you have LeEco, where EUI works fairly well, their specs are normally decent but they pull **** like bundling adware with the OS.

Generally I'd take Mid Specs, Good OS over high specs crap OS.

There's a heap of manufacturers in the OP, if they dont have any suitable phones for you them get to kimovil and search for reviews.

Generally on this thread you've the few regulars who go for medium popularity brands, iseedeadpixels who flies through phones and people looking for recommendations. People looking for recommendations normally get recommended the most popular phones like Xiaomi as they're tried and tested as top notch with huge community support and an ease at getting replacement parts. So it's hard for us to have recommendations for phones for different price points or different reasons as relatively few of us take punts on phones or manufacturers, and even then it's at different price points. Which means if the first few recommendations don't suit you'll probably have to do a graft as it's unlikely there's many people here who have any given device.

I think ED E has an X820 by the way, you should have a look at his thoughts on it back the thread to get an idea of the phone, myself and another chap have X800s and I don't know anyone else with a LeEco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Yes they do because software is subjective but specs are objective (for the most part).

I'd only be looking at Xiaomi, OnePlus, LG, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Wileyfox, Google and Sony. Obviously going for Xiaomi or OnePlus will get you more bang for your money but buying a phone is more than just specs and even software. You also have to take warranty and ease of repair amongst other things in to account.

I'd echo what Digital Solitude said and would take mid range specs and a good OS over top of the line specs. Android isn't even capable of making use of 6GB RAM that some phones are shipping with. And in day to day use the difference between a Snapdragon 6XX and 8XX is nonexistent. Only in benchmarks and super high end games is there any difference. I'd even recommend a Snapdragon 801 phone even though there are 821's out there (I bought an 801 a few months ago and it flies). It's only marketing that has people thinking they need a Snapdragon 821 (or 835) and 6GB RAM. The real world is perfectly fine with a 2 or 3 year old processor and 1 - 2GB RAM.

How do you mean? That you would pay the shop when buying?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I'd echo what Digital Solitude said and would take mid range specs and a good OS over top of the line specs. Android isn't even capable of making use of 6GB RAM that some phones are shipping with. And in day to day use the difference between a Snapdragon 6XX and 8XX is nonexistent. Only in benchmarks and super high end games is there any difference. I'd even recommend a Snapdragon 801 phone even though there are 821's out there (I bought an 801 a few months ago and it flies). It's only marketing that has people thinking they need a Snapdragon 821 (or 835) and 6GB RAM. The real world is perfectly fine with a 2 or 3 year old processor and 1 - 2GB RAM.

This, lots of this. I blew a serious wad on a HTC 10 last year, because I thought, yerra fukit, YOLO, might as well own at least one HTC before they go out of business. If I could wind back the clock, I would absolutely save the cash and buy something half the price with a Snapdragon 625/650/652 and a 1080p screen.

Especially the 625 - plenty of grunt for 95% of people day to day, and very, very power efficient. A 1080p screen is more than good enough, practically an extravagance, unless you're using a phone for a 3d headset. On a 5" screen or smaller, 720p is plenty. 2GB RAM is adequate, 3 is plenty and 4 is probably overkill. 6 and 8 GB RAM are being rumoured for next-gen flagships - ludicrous!

If I had to buy a phone in the morning, I'd be looking for a Lenovo P2 or something else like it in a Snap 625 handset with a 5.5" screen.

Yes

It depends on the VAT rate of the country, so here it's 23% but in the UK it's 19%, so the seller would have to find out what the tax rate for each country they ship to, charge the rate, take the tax off and send it on to that countries customs office, along with proof it had been paid for that particular package.

I think it's easier to let the tax office handle it instead of having shops pretend that they care

I also read that it the price of the item plus shipping for customs, does this mean a hundred euro phone that's 10 to ship is the same money again just for customs?

• Advertisement

I also read that it the price of the item plus shipping for customs, does this mean a hundred euro phone that's 10 to ship is the same money again just for customs?

No, I posted a calculation earlier if that's what you're talking about.

It's 23% of the item+shipping.

So if you use DHL, and buy an €85 phone with €15 shipping, that's €100.

€100*0.23 is €23

DHL charge €15 again as a handling fee

So your total is €100+23+15 for €138 total

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement