Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

So your total is €100+23+15 for €138 total

Starting to get cold feet about buying in China

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Depends on what you get tbh

A €200 China phone will come to about €260 with taxes, and won't be beaten by any phone you can buy in the Carphone Warehouse for €260

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

A €200 China phone will come to about €260 with taxes, and won't be beaten by any phone you can buy in the Carphone Warehouse for €260

Yeah was looking at an umi plus for 185 Euro I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Starting to get cold feet about buying in China

Check out amazon.fr for getting some decent Chinese phones without any worries about customs and for not too much more than from China

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I can echo the spec vs useability pov. I have a Xiaomi mi5 lovely piece is of kit but I think the Redmi 5 pro would have done an equally good job with 2x the battery! Ok it's not as nice and polished and miui not as good as vanilla android but it works none the less.

muy next phone will be mid range, good batteryv nice size, close to android stock and nice in the hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

jozi wrote:
    muy next phone will be mid range, good batteryv nice size, close to android stock and nice in the hand

Name that phone?

Name that phone?

I couldn't as it's not something I've looked into. The Redmi 4 pro nice but not perfect, maybe honor has something nice to?

For the next while my mi5 will keep me happy

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

I have a problem :D

Got the Galaxy note 3 last week after the Umi Super broke.......went and bought the PPTV King 7 today :pac:

I have my pptv king 7 a couple of months now but I cant find any manual focus settings in video mode, just auto focus.
    In photo, I can touch screen, get a green circle and select focus, not in video. Does yours behave the same? (Great phone by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Does anyone have a mi max here?
    I had an oppo r7 plus which was a great phone. I switched to a note7 which was amazing but they took them back :(
    Then I got an s7 edge thinking it would be like the note 7 but honestly it's not a patch on it, dunno why but it's not.
    So I want to go back to a big phone.
    I'd love a mi mix but I heard it wouldn't work here?

So I'm thinking of the max. Any input would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Hi I'm wondering if someone could recommend a phone or two that might suit me.
    I currently have and iphone 4s. I'm out of contract on Vodafone. I was looking at the upgrade options, ridiculous prices ☹

I do like the layout of the iphone and its navigation but prices of new iphones are off putting.

I'm not too sure how'd I'd like or manage the larger screens/phones these days.
    Perhaps I'd get used to kt.
    Anyway I'd like a recommended OS and a fairly decent camera. The Ram can be 3-4gb and a decent battery.
    I mainly use my phone for whatsapp, some browsing online, reading articles and a few other apps and some photos when I'm out n about without my main camera.

The tech speak here about flashing ROM and band 20 had me unsure what to go with.
    Budget I guess would be €150-250.
    many thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Framed10 wrote:
    The tech speak here about flashing ROM and band 20 had me unsure what to go with. Budget I guess would be €150-250. many thanks for the help.

Framed10 wrote:
    Hi I'm wondering if someone could recommend a phone or two that might suit me. I currently have and iphone 4s. I'm out of contract on Vodafone. I was looking at the upgrade options, ridiculous prices ☹

Framed10 wrote:
    I do like the layout of the iphone and its navigation but prices of new iphones are off putting.

Framed10 wrote:
    I'm not too sure how'd I'd like or manage the larger screens/phones these days. Perhaps I'd get used to kt. Anyway I'd like a recommended OS and a fairly decent camera. The Ram can be 3-4gb and a decent battery. I mainly use my phone for whatsapp, some browsing online, reading articles and a few other apps and some photos when I'm out n about without my main camera.

Framed10 wrote:
    Hi I'm wondering if someone could recommend a phone or two that might suit me. I currently have and iphone 4s. I'm out of contract on Vodafone. I was looking at the upgrade options, ridiculous prices ☹

Framed10 wrote:

Framed10 wrote:
    I'm not too sure how'd I'd like or manage the larger screens/phones these days. Perhaps I'd get used to kt. Anyway I'd like a recommended OS and a fairly decent camera. The Ram can be 3-4gb and a decent battery. I mainly use my phone for whatsapp, some browsing online, reading articles and a few other apps and some photos when I'm out n about without my main camera.

Framed10 wrote:
    The tech speak here about flashing ROM and band 20 had me unsure what to go with. Budget I guess would be €150-250. many thanks for the help.

Redmi 3 pro would cover you.

Larger screens are great to a point, for me 5" is about a big as a screen I like.

Coming from an iPhone maybe look into some of the Chinese phones, Xiaomi, honor etc, their operating system is android but it's modified enough and has some resemblance to iOS

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

lafors wrote: »
    I had an oppo r7 plus which was a great phone. I switched to a note7 which was amazing but they took them back :(
    Then I got an s7 edge thinking it would be like the note 7 but honestly it's not a patch on it, dunno why but it's not.

The Mi Mix should work here in the same way as any other standard Xiaomi phone. There is no global version so you're missing band 20. You'll still get decent 4g coverage with band 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Xiaomi is a great choice for coming from iPhone as layout etc is similar. Mi5 would be a good choice.

lafors wrote: »

I've got a Mi Max - I alternate between that and a Zuk Z2. Huge screen, decent performance and absolutely amazing battery life - I really like it for traveling etc - on the other hand I find it too big for just using standing on a busy bus etc. You really need to use 2 hands.

Build quality is decent but it will feel a bit plasticky compared to a Note 7 I'd imagine (although it is 20% of the cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Hi has anyone had to replace a screen on MI 5 phone, if so where did you get one and did you fit it or will one of the Chinese phone shops do it,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

meathman0 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone had to replace a screen on MI 5 phone, if so where did you get one and did you fit it or will one of the Chinese phone shops do it,thanks.

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/xiaomi-mi5-teardown/

Screen is glued to the body, can be sorted with a hairdryer but its a lot of effort. Unless you can't get anyone, I wouldn't do it myself, glued screens are a bitch to get straight.

Ring a few local shops and see if you can find anyone, where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I've got a Mi Max - I alternate between that and a Zuk Z2. Huge screen, decent performance and absolutely amazing battery life - I really like it for traveling etc - on the other hand I find it too big for just using standing on a busy bus etc. You really need to use 2 hands.

How do you find the Zuk Z2?

Can I ask about the global rom Ive seen mentioned a few times.
    How does one know if the phone has this/can access this and if it doesn't have, is it easy to install?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Framed10 wrote: »
    Anyway I'd like a recommended OS and a fairly decent camera. The Ram can be 3-4gb and a decent battery.
    I mainly use my phone for whatsapp, some browsing online, reading articles and a few other apps and some photos when I'm out n about without my main camera.

The tech speak here about flashing ROM and band 20 had me unsure what to go with.
    Budget I guess would be €150-250.
    If those are your needs you don't need 3 - 4GB RAM. Your iPhone 4S has 512MB of RAM and if that works for your needs then there is no need to go 8 times that at 4GB RAM. 2GB RAM will suit you. Band 20 is a 4G band used by some operators in rural areas. 4G in Ireland isn't that much better than 3G so its not as crucial as some would leave you to believe.

Still I think you should look at the Xiaomi Redmi 3S Special Edition. It has band 20 so you don't need to worry about that. It also comes with a global ROM so again you don't need to worry and the model I've linked has 3GB RAM, 32GB storage, an SD card slot and a very large battery. It suits all your needs and comes in under budget with shipping within the EU so you don't need to worry about customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

mrtom wrote: »
    I have my pptv king 7 a couple of months now but I cant find any manual focus settings in video mode, just auto focus.
    In photo, I can touch screen, get a green circle and select focus, not in video. Does yours behave the same? (Great phone by the way)

I kept the Galaxy note 3 instead, Snapdragon all the way :D

Kavrocks wrote: »
    If those are your needs you don't need 3 - 4GB RAM. Your iPhone 4S has 512MB of RAM and if that works for your needs then there is no need to go 8 times that at 4GB RAM. 2GB RAM will suit you. Band 20 is a 4G band used by some operators in rural areas. 4G in Ireland isn't that much better than 3G so its not as crucial as some would leave you to believe.

Still I think you should look at the Xiaomi Redmi 3S Special Edition. It has band 20 so you don't need to worry about that. It also comes with a global ROM so again you don't need to worry and the model I've linked has 3GB RAM, 32GB storage, an SD card slot and a very large battery. It suits all your needs and comes in under budget with shipping within the EU so you don't need to worry about customs.

Thanks very much. Just having a look at it on kimovil.
    Looks like an option.
    is there any similar to this or even a bit more expensive but maybe with a better camera?

Thanks very much. Just having a look at it on kimovil.
    Looks like an option.
    is there any similar to this or even a bit more expensive but maybe with a better camera?
    Xiaomi Mi4, Mi4c or Mi5. I've the Mi5 by the way.

Xiaomi Mi4, Mi4c or Mi5. I've the Mi5 by the way.

Thanks. don't suppose there's a global version of these?
    if not what does it entail to set it up?
    Id be willing to give it a go.

Thanks. don't suppose there's a global version of these?
    if not what does it entail to set it up?
    Id be willing to give it a go.
    There's no versions with band 20 but there is a global ROM available for the Mi4 and Mi5. All it entails is downloading the correct file (from here), putting it on the phone and using the inbuilt updater app to apply it (except if you get a vendor ROM but there are still ways around this). You should ask for a device without a vendor ROM always (in my opinion).

You should ask for a device without a vendor ROM always (in my opinion).

http://www.honorbuy.com/675-xiaomi-mi5-32gb-smartphone-white.html
    From their Q&A

"At present we send the Mi 5 with Official Global Multilanguage ROM of xiaomi. Best regards! "
    "We flashed the Mi5 with Official Global Multilanguage ROM ....We send the phone with a Quick Charge 3.0 and a Usb Type-C Data Cable"
    "Before shipping out the phone, we will pre install the Google Play and set the phone into English as default. Then you can download the apps when you receive the phone."
    so all of this would be ok? no vendor rom etc
    thanks again.

How do you find the Zuk Z2?
    Spec and build quality are great but not happy with any of the ROM's I have tried - haven't been able to get used to one of them although i am expecting a stock Indian ROM to be updated to Android 7.0 soon

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭yellowbear

SM01 wrote: »
    Jesus, last post full of typos and I can't edit for some reason. I got the Lenovo p2 in the UK. Three we selling them for £200. It's the 4gb version with 32gb hard drive.

I've been looking at this phone seems like a great option for the price from three. Did you have any issues unlocking it to use with an Irish sim card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've also been thinking of getting the Lenovo P2 from three in the UK. Can it work over here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I've also been thinking of getting the Lenovo P2 from three in the UK. Can it work over here?

Yep once unlocked or if you're with three already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement