Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭yellowbear

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I've also been thinking of getting the Lenovo P2 from three in the UK. Can it work over here?

Yep once unlocked or if you're with three already.
    Do you know if it's difficult or expensive to get unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Sorry for the delay in replying. I bought it from Three over here in the UK and they supply the phones unlocked so should be no issues I imagine. I'm running an O2 UK SIM and an Irish Three SIM in it. No issues in that regards at all. Only very very minor gripe is I find the finger print scanner crap but never really bothered with them any way. Others seem to think it's great. It's fast, not far off stock android and the battery really is a joy. Nice build too. Very pleased with it indeed and I really loved my ZUK Z1 and wasn't looking forward to switching (but accidentally smashed up the ZUK).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marty66

Hi I just got one last week. Seemed perfect for first few days but not seems to be dropping the mobile data connection. Have been to 3 and they have looked at everything but still no joy. Got new sim etc but still left frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

marty66 wrote: »
    Hi I just got one last week. Seemed perfect for first few days but not seems to be dropping the mobile data connection. Have been to 3 and they have looked at everything but still no joy. Got new sim etc but still left frustrated.

Waste of time with three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marty66

It's a redmi 3x from xaoimi. You know much about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's going to be something in the internet settings. Make sure you've it set up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

RossieMan wrote: »
    It's going to be something in the internet settings. Make sure you've it set up properly.

It's three themselves their coverage since merging with o2 is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

marty66 wrote: »

By default EUI/MUI has a stupid data blocker that kicks in after 50/125MB use in a day. Have you gone in and disabled that? Otherwise itll kill connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Xiaomi is a great choice for coming from iPhone as layout etc is similar. Mi5 would be a good choice.
    Thanks I think I'm going to go with the Mi5 64gb from honorbuy. fingers crossed.

Can I check if I can just transfer my Sim card from a vodafone bill pay iphone 4s.
    I'm out of contract.
    Or will I need to get it unlocked?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Framed10 wrote: »
    Thanks I think I'm going to go with the Mi5 64gb from honorbuy. fingers crossed.

Can I check if I can just transfer my Sim card from a vodafone bill pay iphone 4s.
    I'm out of contract.
    Or will I need to get it unlocked?
    thanks

You should be grand with your current sim working - all these phones are unlocked to any network. If you are going prepay obviously get onto Vodafone.

GBX wrote: »
    If you are going prepay obviously get onto Vodafone.
    I hope to just continue on my current bill pay rate per month that i have with my iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

You will need to get a nano SIM or cut yours to fit (I don't recommend cutting it). No unlocking is necessary.
    I hope to just continue on my current bill pay rate per month that i have with my iphone.
    If you received the iPhone with the contract you are most likely still pay for it and would be better off moving to a SIM only plan. A quick glance at the Vodafone website shows you can save at least €15 depending on your plan by going SIM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Kavrocks wrote: »
    A quick glance at the Vodafone website shows you can save at least €15 depending on your plan by going SIM only.

This is one of the best reasons to get a Chinese phone to be honest. I was on an iD mobile deal that was €10 for 6 months for 100 minutes/SMS 20gb data SIM free plan.

You will need to get a nano SIM or cut yours to fit (I don't recommend cutting it). No unlocking is necessary.

If you received the iPhone with the contract you are most likely still pay for it and would be better off moving to a SIM only plan. A quick glance at the Vodafone website shows you can save at least €15 depending on your plan by going SIM only.

oh Interesting, thanks for that, I had overlooked the sim only option.
    Can vodafone to set up with a nano SIM for me or is it just a case of changing plans only.

Also what cover did you go for on the Mi5?
    any screen protectors worth getting?

fixxxer wrote: »
    This is one of the best reasons to get a Chinese phone to be honest. I was on an iD mobile deal that was €10 for 6 months for 100 minutes/SMS 20gb data SIM free plan.

Thats very true. Delighted with that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Forgot about the sim size. Yes Vodafone will be able to transfer your number to a nano sim for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Hey everyone,

The missus smashed her screen on her Smart Ultra 6 finally so looking to replace it. Anyone got any suggestions? Price range is around 150-180 euros. I'm looking at some of the Xiaomi phones but I've no idea what ones are and aren't good. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

EJ22 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

The missus smashed her screen on her Smart Ultra 6 finally so looking to replace it. Anyone got any suggestions? Price range is around 150-180 euros. I'm looking at some of the Xiaomi phones but I've no idea what ones are and aren't good. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Out of curiosity, Did it get hit by a truck?! Mine has been bashed with bad drops multiple times and only a tiny scrape at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

oh Interesting, thanks for that, I had overlooked the sim only option.
    Can vodafone to set up with a nano SIM for me or is it just a case of changing plans only.

Also what cover did you go for on the Mi5?
    any screen protectors worth getting?
    Call in to a Vodafone shop and they'll sort you out with a new SIM, they might also be able to change your plan there and then.

I got the Xiaomi shockproof case and Xiaomi tempered glass screen protector. I'm very happy with both. You could probably shop around and get cheaper though on Aliexpress.

• Advertisement

thanks. In case I don't go for Aliexpress, theres so many to trawl through there, where did you get yours?

Call in to a Vodafone shop and they'll sort you out with a new SIM, they might also be able to change your plan there and then.

I got the Xiaomi shockproof case and Xiaomi tempered glass screen protector. I'm very happy with both. You could probably shop around and get cheaper though on Aliexpress.

hehe the fun of reading Aliexpress phone cover reviews
    "Came quickly. I sat on the phone perfectly. I advise everyone" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

givyjoe wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, Did it get hit by a truck?! Mine has been bashed with bad drops multiple times and only a tiny scrape at the top.

Nope, fell out of her pocket and smashed down onto tiles. top left hand corner is shattered and its also messing with the digitizer panel

Any recommendations on covers or screen protectors for Mi5?

Hi did you have any luck with a good cover? Trying to sort the good from the bad on aliexpress is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Anyone using a mi max or leeco max 2. Looking for something with a big screen. Also thinking of the note 4c is anyone is using one.

Had an elephone p9000 until it smashed a few weeks ago that was the business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hi did you have any luck with a good cover? Trying to sort the good from the bad on aliexpress is :confused:

Search for what you want on Ali then sort by number of orders.

You usually find the best product that way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I ordered both of these covers for my mi5

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32628758343.html

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32692860725.html

I can't however tell you what either are like as I've been waiting on them since early January :mad:

Definitely get a cover and screen protector! As careful as I'm trying to be I've got the tiniest pig light marks already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I got a lot from this thread when choosing recently so thought I'd add my own mini-review. After much thinking I "upgraded" my Nexus 5X to a Xiaomi RedMi 3S Pro Prime (I think that's the official name). Cost me just under $ 140 on AliExpress with cover and screen protector. Another € 37 I think it was on customs, but still worked out <€ 170 and I was able to sell the 5X for € 200.

What's good
    So nice moving up to 32GB storage and expandable too, coming from 5X with no option to expand beyond 16GB
    Great size phone in the hand
    Super fast
    I actually quite like MIUI interface I have to say - so many options to tweak things. Randomly I like howthe notificatio nicons are suddenly all in colour
    Get to keep havinga fingerprint sensor - it's a feature I had grown to love on the 5X
    It's one of the few phones I could find that includes Band 20 for 4G in Ireland
    Random handy feature having IR built in and the Xiaomi app lists most gadgets so mine can control TVs and other boxes around the house
    And most importantly, the battery life is absolutely fantastic so far! :)

What's bad
    No more NFC for me
    Back to Micro USB having bought a load of USB-C's for the last phone
    As expected, camera not at all as good as the 5X - I find when I turn on HDR I get a lot of blurry pictures

Overall I'm very happy and have had no real problems at all so far. I do miss NFC so will keep an eye out for the next one that comes out with one. I bought mine from Fantacy Technology during a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Does anyone know the best spot to buy nubia z11 mini or z11 mini s. Do I need to pick international firmware? I've seen it mentioned on aliexpress, thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement