Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Would that be hard to get imported here due to the size?

Don't think so, a few of the lads from the PC Building forum have QNIX 27" displays from Korea. I know this is far bigger but can't see it being a problem. DHL would handle it in the worst case.

It'd be closer to €600 after taxes but still fairly good value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Don't think so, a few of the lads from the PC Building forum have QNIX 27" displays from Korea. I know this is far bigger but can't see it being a problem. DHL would handle it in the worst case.

I shall be buying one :D

I shall be buying one :D

My PC barely handles 1080p so 4k is wasted on me, and I don't watch much TV :pac:

Though it is made by Xiaomi....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

OP, rename thread to "Chinese Whatever-you're-having-yourself", please!

corwill wrote: »

Can't you'll have to get a mod on it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

corwill wrote: »

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-New-Mini-Smart-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-Scooter-Balance-2-Wheels-Electric-Scooter/32378861149.html

Think one of these might do me for getting in and out of work !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Hi all, thinking of buying the Letv Le 1 phone. Has a great spec and has gotten very good reviews. Anyone know anything about it or can suggest a good seller? And can anyone tell me if it will definitely work here? I'm with 48, which I believe is owned by Tesco (could be wrong).

moneyman wrote: »
    Hi all, thinking of buying the Letv Le 1 phone. Has a great spec and has gotten very good reviews. Anyone know anything about it or can suggest a good seller? And can anyone tell me if it will definitely work here? I'm with 48, which I believe is owned by Tesco (could be wrong).

Been hearing about LeTV lately, I'd say it's worth a good punt. Sellers in OP should have it.

I'm with 48 and have never had an issue with a chinese phone, data speed isn't great but I'm not sure if that's 48 or the bands I've got. Living in Leitrim probably doesn't help.

48 uses the 900/1800 bands anyways, both of which the Le 1 supports.

If you buy will you give a review? I'd actually be very interested after seeing how it looks, my Mi3 just doesn't want to die :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

hi my moto g battery is on its last legs after 2 years.
    im looking at the xiaomi mi3 64gb.
    is there any better value out there?
    any downsides with this phone apart from no 3g and no sd card slot...
    is there anywhere selling it for less than €165 delivered?

Been hearing about LeTV lately, I'd say it's worth a good punt. Sellers in OP should have it.

I'm with 48 and have never had an issue with a chinese phone, data speed isn't great but I'm not sure if that's 48 or the bands I've got. Living in Leitrim probably doesn't help.

48 uses the 900/1800 bands anyways, both of which the Le 1 supports.

If you buy will you give a review? I'd actually be very interested after seeing how it looks, my Mi3 just doesn't want to die :)

I'll definitely do a review, just need to find the right seller. I've never used alibaba or aliexpress so I'm a bit nervous, the websites are really poor and lack information.

If I order from China, do DHL actually deliver quicker as advertised? I know with ordering jerseys from there, they actually arrived quicker by choosing international air mail. Am I guaranteed to be hit with 20% VAT also from China?

• Advertisement

I'll definitely do a review, just need to find the right seller. I've never used alibaba or aliexpress so I'm a bit nervous, the websites are really poor and lack information.

If I order from China, do DHL actually deliver quicker as advertised? I know with ordering jerseys from there, they actually arrived quicker by choosing international air mail. Am I guaranteed to be hit with 20% VAT also from China?

AliExpress is normally sound as you'll get with a high rated seller. It's such a massive marketplace that people always go for highly rated sellers, so they'll do anthing they can to keep their rating up.

Every phone I've gotten delivered by DHL has taken 5-7 days, which is fairly good. With DHL yeah it's basically a given that you'll pay customs.
    kingerae86 wrote: »

Mi3 is a fantastic device, can't rate it highly enough. Xiaomi in general make very high quality stuff.

The Mi3 has 3G, it doesn't have 4G. And with 64gb when are you going to need an SD card? I've the 16gb version and only use 8-9gb normally, though I don't carry any music or movies on it.

Where are you getting it for €165? That's stupidly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Imagine the stress if it got damaged in transit though... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mi3 is a fantastic device, can't rate it highly enough. I believe tatranska misses his after moving on to greener (newer) pastures. Xiaomi in general make very high quality stuff.

My name being mentioned in vain :)
    It was a great little phone. I've been using the zoppo zp999 the last few months and am now awaiting a new Ulefone Be Touch 2.
    Got it for @$179 in a flash sale.
    I really like the bigger screens (5.5")

My name being mentioned in vain :)
    It was a great little phone. I've been using the zoppo zp999 the last few months and am now awaiting a new Ulefone Be Touch 2.
    Got it for @$179 in a flash sale.
    I really like the bigger screens (5.5")

Apologies, there's someone here does anyways! Unquote me and I'll edit it out :)

Knew it was one of ye

Apologies, there's someone here does anyways! Unquote me and I'll edit it out :)

Knew it was one of ye

Don't worry about it. It was true. Corwill got one as well.
    If you do a search, I created an mi3 owners thread with loads of info on it.

AliExpress is normally sound as you'll get with a high rated seller. It's such a massive marketplace that people always go for highly rated sellers, so they'll do anthing they can to keep their rating up.

Every phone I've gotten delivered by DHL has taken 5-7 days, which is fairly good. With DHL yeah it's basically a given that you'll pay customs.

Mi3 is a fantastic device, can't rate it highly enough. Xiaomi in general make very high quality stuff.

The Mi3 has 3G, it doesn't have 4G. And with 64gb when are you going to need an SD card? I've the 16gb version and only use 8-9gb normally, though I don't carry any music or movies on it.

So aliexpress is just one guy/seller? Customs is the problem, it would go from being affordable at €300 quid to expensive at €360. No way to get around it?

Shame, can't seem to find anywhere shipping it from Europe. Really want that particular phone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Don't worry about it. It was true. Corwill got one as well.
    If you do a search, I created an mi3 owners thread with loads of info on it.

Yep, the Mi3 is a really nice phone, just moved to the ZP999 for the bigger screen and 4g.

So aliexpress is just one guy/seller? Customs is the problem, it would go from being affordable at €300 quid to expensive at €360. No way to get around it?

Shame, can't seem to find anywhere shipping it from Europe. Really want that particular phone as well.

Nope it's thousands of sellers. There's a fair chance of missing customs with the free post but it takes like 3 weeks to get here.

It's an absolutely ridiculous spec for €360! Octa Core 2.2gHz with a big 1080p gorilla glass screen? *swoons*

http://www.honorbuy.com/11-xiaomi

They ship from the EU.I bought mine from them when Called xiaomishop

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

i taught it was on aliexpress at €165 delivered.
    but it was the 16gb version,they had 64gb in the title though.
    i presume its still cheap at €199 delivered for what you get?
    or is there better for the price range?

• Advertisement

i taught it was on aliexpress at €165 delivered.
    but it was the 16gb version,they had 64gb in the title though.
    i presume its still cheap at €199 delivered for what you get?
    or is there better for the price range?

The 64gb is about €240 or that iirc. Depends on you if you'll need the 64gb. IMO It's up with the best of them in that price range. For day to day usage it's as good as anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

My original Moto still does 2 days.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads just wondering if one ordered an item from outside of europ and they ended up having to pay import tax on it howndo you pay that tax or what way does it work?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Lads just wondering if one ordered an item from outside of europ and they ended up having to pay import tax on it howndo you pay that tax or what way does it work?

If you get it from DHL, they'll email you saying it's due, fairly sure it's paid online. They won't deliver until it's paid.

With AnPost, they email you, you send off a PayPal receipt and they'll tell you how much is due. You pay the postman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,632 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A phone from China? There's no import duty on it, only VAT @23% of the value of the phone (what you paid for it) + shipping costs + insurance

You might get lucky and the thing is not intercepted (happened on my Elephone P7000 a few weeks ago :D) or it might get intercepted, in which case you pay VAT and an admin fee. In the case of the $370 phone you linked to, that would come to about €90. Once you pay it, they'll release it to you (but expect delays!!!)

unkel wrote: »
    A phone from China? There's no import duty on it, only VAT @23% of the value of the phone (what you paid for it) + shipping costs + insurance

You might get lucky and the thing is not intercepted (happened on my Elephone P7000 a few weeks ago :D) or it might get intercepted, in which case you pay VAT and an admin fee. In the case of the $370 phone you linked to, that would come to about €90. Once you pay it, they'll release it to you (but expect delays!!!)

Cheers for theat yhh i had an idea of how much just didnt realise how they would charge it. Its still not bad valuein some cases if you are buying the right phone its still a lot of phone for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Surely the Paypal receipt is open to a bit of fiddling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,632 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Its still not bad valuein some cases if you are buying the right phone its still a lot of phone for the money.

Indeed! Just with the weak Euro at the moment and the hefty enough VAT, it makes particularly the higher end Chinese phones less value for money

I would be reluctant myself to spend €430 to import a Chinese phone...

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed! Just with the weak Euro at the moment and the hefty enough VAT, it makes particularly the higher end Chinese phones less value for money

I would be reluctant myself to spend €430 to import a Chinese phone...

Depends on what your buying, i was planning on getting an s6 at Christmas time myself and know id end up rooting it in a matter of a month and flashing roms on it on a weekly basis if i csn get a really nice chinese phone woth similar spec and looks just as good and save myself couple of hundred in process then its worth a gamble.

• Advertisement

Surely the Paypal receipt is open to a bit of fiddling?

Most definitely, its only ha screenshot that you send .

If they cop it I'd assume you're in for a bit of **** though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement