Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

I just ordered a zuk z2 white a 170euro... For the price it is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marty66

Any issues with data connection? I'm with 3 and constantly dropping connection on my redmi 3x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

marty66 wrote: »
    Any issues with data connection? I'm with 3 and constantly dropping connection on my redmi 3x

Thats three for ye! In work I struggle for coverage....move the phone an inch I lose coverage....cloudy day lose coverage...its so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

g0g wrote:
    I got a lot from this thread when choosing recently so thought I'd add my own mini-review. After much thinking I "upgraded" my Nexus 5X to a Xiaomi RedMi 3S Pro Prime (I think that's the official name). Cost me just under $ 140 on AliExpress with cover and screen protector. Another € 37 I think it was on customs, but still worked out

Hi what phone is the equivalent to in the irish market ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Hi what phone is the equivalent to in the irish market ?

I'd say Galaxy note 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I'd say Galaxy note 4.

Thanks whats the equivalent of the s5 and s6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Thanks whats the equivalent of the s5 and s6

Why not use here https://www.kimovil.com/en/ and see what you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Is a 7 inch phone overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is a 7 inch phone overkill?

Is that not into tablet range? I guess it's all relative to your hand size etc. Have you hands like shovels??

GBX wrote:
    Is that not into tablet range? I guess it's all relative to your hand size etc. Have you hands like shovels??

Not even close, was looking at a Huawei phone and its a 7 inch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Not even close, was looking at a Huawei phone and its a 7 inch

The Phab 2. Looks very decent.

fixxxer wrote:
    The Phab 2. Looks very decent.

Was just looking at specs for the phab 2 and looks dacent but one concern would be is that would a 4050 mah battery be big enough for a phone with a screen that big (not that a 4050 mah battery is small by any standards)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I once had a tablet that size. Far too big if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Just ported to 3 here in the UK from giff gaff, but my redmi note 3 doesn't seem to like the 3 sim.

The 3 sim works fine in my jiayu S3 - any suggestions here please

A different ROM? If so, any suggestions.

Thanks

Just ported to 3 here in the UK from giff gaff, but my redmi note 3 doesn't seem to like the 3 sim.

Thanks

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

abarkie wrote: »

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

You're definitely on 3 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks

Full 3G support, 50% 4G support.

Are you sure you arent just missing the APNs?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    You're definitely on 3 :pac:

Thanks for that - Apologies for triple post - using hotel wifi at the time in Prague

Thanks

Looks like the "problem" is this:

When the data is set to 3 Sim all is fine

When the data is switched to another sim - in this case O2- then 3 goes to emergency calls only or no service.

Any fix to this?

i use the O2 sim for data as that is work sim and only use my data when away / out of UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Im in need of a new phone and have being trawling through this thread. My budget is around €250

I think I might go for the Xiaomi Mi 5. It seems to be around that budget.

There are a few worries that I have though as this will be my 1st time not buying a phone from a bricks and mortar store.

The OS seems to be - MIUI 7.0 (based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow) I understand there is a good chance this will come with some chinese bloatware and possibly malware. Is there any sellers that will sell it without any of the bloatware,malware?

Is it possible to get it with Android 6.0 installed with no bloatware,malware? If it is possible am I missing out on anything that MIUI offers?

Does anyone know of any sellers withing the EU? or recommendations on where to buy it?

I really dont want to be messing around with flashing new roms and and messing around with the bootloader. Ideally I would like to be able to use the phone straight out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I got mine from eglobal central, stock Rom. Little more expensive but I specifically wanted the black version which I couldn't find anywhere. They didn't have it in their warehouse, despite losing it as I stick, so it took about a week longer to arrive while they waited on one to come.

If it comes with Chinese or dev os you will probably still have to flash to the global stable rom. You could also put lineageos (formerly cyanogen) on it. Both options are pretty straightforward, I've been using lineage since it came out and preferred it over miui

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

pcuser wrote: »
    Im in need of a new phone and have being trawling through this thread. My budget is around €250

I think I might go for the Xiaomi Mi 5. It seems to be around that budget.

There are a few worries that I have though as this will be my 1st time not buying a phone from a bricks and mortar store.

The OS seems to be - MIUI 7.0 (based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow) I understand there is a good chance this will come with some chinese bloatware and possibly malware. Is there any sellers that will sell it without any of the bloatware,malware?

Is it possible to get it with Android 6.0 installed with no bloatware,malware? If it is possible am I missing out on anything that MIUI offers?

Does anyone know of any sellers withing the EU? or recommendations on where to buy it?

I really dont want to be messing around with flashing new roms and and messing around with the bootloader. Ideally I would like to be able to use the phone straight out of the box.

You won't find pure Android 6.0 / 7.0 but you can find custom ROMs that will look very much like stock. Personally I prefer to use MIUI 8.0 with Nova Launcher - MIUI is great for battery management (once you sort out notifications) and has some features like mirror apps that are really useful once you get used to them, but it is a bit different as it has no app drawer etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

but1er wrote: »
    Out of nowhere my phone is producing pop ups (mobile strike Ali express) while on snapchat or Facebook and only between the hours of 12 and about 8am its so random.
    If it was on the lock screen I'd be blaming ES File Explorer.

Probably something you've installed or upgraded recently. Check in my apps in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Official Global ROM now available on Redmi 4. Still no band 20 though - Link

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Do any of the Xiaomi phones have band 20? Been looking for o king through this thread and on the comparison website but struggling to find one. Am I right in saying the xiaomi 3s has band 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Lenny17123 wrote:
    Do any of the Xiaomi phones have band 20? Been looking for o king through this thread and on the comparison website but struggling to find one. Am I right in saying the xiaomi 3s has band 20?

Redmi note 3 pro special edition has band 20

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Redmi note 3 pro special edition has band 20

Cheers for the quick response. would they be the only ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Lenny17123 wrote:
    Cheers for the quick response. would they be the only ones?

kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

The above link with www. added should show you all xiaomi phones that support 4g on band 20 (800mhz)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Lads ive gone back about 10 pages and haven't seen any so pardon my request...

Is there a list of current sellers on Ali Express where VAT is avoided?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement