Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

ED E wrote: »
    X829 is the same as X822/820 but just US aimed stock. As far as users can tell no other differences.

See my previous post in thread for a review.

Nice one it's for a friend... I've been telling him bout the rn3p but this one caught his eye... IL pass on your review cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its been a while since I've looked at chinese phones so need some help.

Budget up to €300.
    Its for a friend so needs to work out of the box as shes not technical in any way,shape or form...just wants it to work9

Im looking at 5.5" screen, NFC, decent cameras, Recent android OS. Gorilla Glass(nice to have)
    Ideally from within the EU so theres no customs issues.

What do you suggest? A link would be appreciated;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've been looking at the xiaomi redmi note 3 pro. I know it's a year old now but I was wondering if anyone here might have had one and can tell of their experiences with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I've been looking at the xiaomi redmi note 3 pro. I know it's a year old now but I was wondering if anyone here might have had one and can tell of their experiences with it?

I'm using this at the moment have it since December and it's still as super fast as the day I got it... Getting a full day out of the battery with wi-fi and Bluetooth on all day... One day the screen froze I was using a lot of apps at the time but it was back after I locked unlocked the phone... Fingerprint scanner still working 100%... Camera is a little grainy but it's still decent for the money in less your gonna be a photographer... Had the problem with Google Voice Search constantly showing notifications but a quick Google search helps get rid of... Honestly would recommend it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

Bahanaman wrote: »
    DANNY2014 wrote: »
    I'm using this at the moment have it since December and it's still as super fast as the day I got it... Getting a full day out of the battery with wi-fi and Bluetooth on all day...

Have mine since last July, still going strong. Easily get a full day of battery use. Have been using it allot daily to play games. Approx 4 Hours SOT.

Because It is 8 months old, plus version of rom I'm using and active use the battery backup on it has deteriorated. Use to easily get 48 hours out of it. Have tried to re-calibrate it once.

Alternatively if your not in a rush, you could wait for the

to come available which should officially get Nougat rom, where the RN3 might not receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

corkie wrote: »
    Have mine since last July, still going strong. Easily get a full day of battery use. Have been using it allot daily to play games. Approx 4 Hours SOT.

Because It is 8 months old, plus version of rom I'm using and active use the battery backup on it has deteriorated. Use to easily get 48 hours out of it. Have tried to re-calibrate it once.

Alternatively if your not in a rush, you could wait for the

to come available which should officially get Nougat rom, where the RN3 might not receive it.

Any idea when the 4X will be released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

My phone died on me. It was a huawei g6 which I had for over 3 years so I really got my monies worth. I am going to get the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 pro.

I can buy if from adverts. It will cost a bit extra but will be delivered straight away so I dont mind. I have noticed from the add description that is does not include the snapdragon CPU. Instead it comes with MTK Helio X20 Deca Core GPU Mali-T880.

Am I right in saying this CPU is slightly better than the Snapdragon 625? I have used this comparison site Comparison

Here is the link for the phone.
    Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

pcuser wrote: »
    My phone died on me. It was a huawei g6 which I had for over 3 years so I really got my monies worth. I am going to get the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 pro.

I can buy if from adverts. It will cost a bit extra but will be delivered straight away so I dont mind. I have noticed from the add description that is does not include the snapdragon CPU. Instead it comes with MTK Helio X20 Deca Core GPU Mali-T880.

Am I right in saying this CPU is slightly better than the Snapdragon 625? I have used this comparison site Comparison

Here is the link for the phone.
    Adverts

Is GPS important to you?

Yes I run 5 days a week and use strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GPS on Mediatek chipsets can be very hit and miss. Some have reported its better on the later Xiaomi units but if GPS is your thing you really cant beat Qualcomm. Their new iZat 8c is the dogs proverbials.

• Advertisement

Probably better to avoid Mediatek chips so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

Foy my part i have ordered an Onda V80 SE on Tablette-Tactile and i have received it without custom tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

eamonnq wrote: »
    Probably better to avoid Mediatek chips so.

I agree, the mediatek chip are bad with gps. I have a redmi note 2 prime and It is so frustrating to use gps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

danko82 wrote: »
    I agree, the mediatek chip are bad with gps. I have a redmi note 2 prime and It is so frustrating to use gps

I had the same phone for over a year and it was always spot on,

Have the Umi Z now and GPS is perfect on it.

I have read a lot on this in the last few hours, It seems to be MIUI that causes the issue. It can be fixed from the Developers Options. The Next purchase is a smart running watch so I may take o chance on this phone. I can send it back for a full refund if I cannot get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I have read a lot on this in the last few hours, It seems to be MIUI that causes the issue. It can be fixed from the Developers Options. The Next purchase is a smart running watch so I may take o chance on this phone. I can send it back for a full refund if I cannot get it to work.

Good luck :D

Its only coming from Dublin. I may just drive up, buy it, try it out and either return it or keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

wiz569 wrote:

Out of interest how are you finding the umi with battery life etc??

Out of interest how are you finding the umi with battery life etc??

Tbh its very ordinary, camera is average, battery is just above average (should just about get 1 day of heavy usage), I suppose the only good thing is the bog standard android 6.0 which is nice and quick, there has been a few updates so it may improve in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

wiz569 wrote:
    Tbh its very ordinary, camera is average, battery is just above average (should just about get 1 day of heavy usage), I suppose the only good thing is the bog standard android 6.0 which is nice and quick, there has been a few updates so it may improve in time.

I would have thought with a 3750mah battery it would last longer but suppose the 5.5 inch screens takes a bit of driving.
    Yeah hearing a bit about the camera being only fair

• Advertisement

I would have thought with a 3750mah battery it would last longer but suppose the 5.5 inch screens takes a bit of driving.
    Yeah hearing a bit about the camera being only fair

That's what I was hoping for tbh, but at the minute I'm on 67% from 7.00am with no calls,three texts and very little browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Having a host of problems with my Xiaomi MI4c for the past month or so, after a weekly update the phone lagged a lot and some apps like Snapchat don't work. Tried a whole host of tinkering thats fixed some issues but not Snapchat. Trying to unlock the bootloader so I can try a new ROM but that's giving me issues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PJOH

Update on Ulefone Gemini, 3gb ram 32gb storage, dual camera.
    Feb 15th : pre-order for €119
    Feb 23rd : item pre-advised
    Feb 27th : at PostNL sorting centre
    Feb 28th : on transport to Ireland
    Mar 2nd : arrived in Ireland
    Mar 6th : processed in Ireland
    Mar 7th : delivered by An Post
    Bought from Deals machine on pre-order, PostNL to deliver, went for free delivery with tracking. Arrived with An Post and no tax to be paid. Free case, glass screen and small stand . Arrived perfect.
    Very easy set up, took some photos today and to me, they seem very good. Phone is nice to use, this is my 3rd Chinese phone. Paid €130 for my Cubot X15 which I have for last 9 months , sold today and got €80. The power and volume buttons are on the left hand side of screen , so just a bit of getting used . Phone case from Aliexpress should be in the letter box in the next few days.
    Overall, very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

How much are people spending on these phones on average?
    I'm looking to get one for me sister for about 300-350 EUR and was looking at the Xiaomi Mi5 S. Has a Snapdragon 821 and seems like a decent camera, with a good bit of storage space. Reasonable size as well. So unless there's a better one in that price range, I'll probably go for that one.

Although, I've looked at a couple of places and the prices range from 320 to 500. Not sure what's happening there. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

zuk z2 is around 155 euro..it is a best buy at the moment.

snap 820, 5', 3500battery, etc

Did you get your one yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

Purchased the Lenovo Zuk Z2 from Bargain Alerts, anybody recommend a ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

wiz569 wrote: »

I assume you've only had the UMi Z a few days. Would you mind elaborating a bit on how you use it's GPS functionality and in particular how it performs using Google Maps Navigation for driving? Poor GPS performance is the single biggest thing holding me back from buying the Z as my son has the UMi Plus and the GPS on it is rubbish.

Do you think the new chipset dealt with the GPS issue once and for all?

Any thoughts positive/negative on the Z overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Wow, looks surprisingly good. Whats the catch??? :eek:

Is there any bricks and mortar shops selling it? I'll be over in England the weekend too. Had a look on Tesco Direct and they don't have it.

• Advertisement

I assume you've only had the UMi Z a few days. Would you mind elaborating a bit on how you use it's GPS functionality and in particular how it performs using Google Maps Navigation for driving? Poor GPS performance is the single biggest thing holding me back from buying the Z as my son has the UMi Plus and the GPS on it is rubbish.

Do you think the new chipset dealt with the GPS issue once and for all?

Any thoughts positive/negative on the Z overall?

I have it now about 4-6 weeks,

I dont normally use GPS as I have a good sense of direction lol, but I do like to have the option if needed,

But to test it out:

I have used it 4 times to be exact,down and back to Carlow through Blessington and Baltinglass,

And also down and back different ways to Kilbeggan Co.Meath,on the down journey I deliberately missed turns to see if it would redirect me and it did with no drama,

Used Google Maps on all Journeys above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement