Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Anyone get the Xiaomi MiMix phone? Looks a serious bit of kit. Probably been asked before but can't search on touch as far as i know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I bought the honor 8 online big phone more like a mini tablet. It comes with a lot of default Chinese apps and some notification are Chinese also. I put in the correct country at set up English UK etc.
    Does anyone know how to get rid of the Chinese content?
    Also the action 3 launcher I installed won't stay as the default launcher. Any help appreciated cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Liam O wrote: »
    Anyone get the Xiaomi MiMix phone? Looks a serious bit of kit. Probably been asked before but can't search on touch as far as i know...
    Sounds like its ridiculously fragile, videos of it breaking after a fall from sitting height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

danko82 wrote:
    zuk z2 is around 155 euro..it is a best buy at the moment.

danko82 wrote:
    snap 820, 5', 3500battery, etc

Only thing stopping me going for this is the 5 inch screen. I've been using a phone with a 5.2 inch screen for the last two years. I know 0.2 inch doesn't sound much but I have an iPhone 5s for work and the size of it compared to my Sony Z3 is chalk and cheese, the iPhone is good but the size does my head in.

Id rather go up a size than down a size but I really like the look for the Zuk Z2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You won't notice 5.2 to 5.0, iPhone 5s is only 4.5, way smaller

• Advertisement

You won't notice 5.2 to 5.0, iPhone 5s is only 4.5, way smaller

Just actually checked it, it's even smaller at 4 inch. Maybe the 5 inch won't be that bad

Just actually checked it, it's even smaller at 4 inch. Maybe the 5 inch won't be that bad

That's what she said..

(sorry lads couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Pyrrhic wrote: »
    Purchased the Lenovo Zuk Z2 from Bargain Alerts, anybody recommend a ROM?

I'm on stock Indian ROM at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

if buying Xiaomi which does not come with a Global Rom, does this mean Android is in Chinese and there is no play store, are there any other factors to take in play for non Global rom

Is it easy enough to change the language from Chinese, is there an option on initial boot
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Play store, what is involved to get this installed and working[/font]

Thanks

Basically is it essential to buy the Global Rom edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

There is an option to choose English on first boot although some parts of the system will still display in Chinese. The Play Store and Play Services can be installed but they don't always work correctly on the Chinese version.

If you buy a Xiaomi phone that comes with the Chinese ROM but there is a global ROM available you can switch without unlocking the bootloader. In some cases you can also use Xiaomi.eu ROMs which are based on the China ROM but have more language support and Google apps.

Everything you need to know can be found on the MIUI forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

eamonnq wrote: »
    Did you get your one yet ?

yeah, it should arrived in a couple of days from bangood

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

Liam O wrote: »

I picked one up last month, you can get them for €550, which is quite high in comparison to similar phones from China such as the Mi5s. That being said you're paying for the design. I love it, great screen and the battery life is fantastic. It is however the most ridiculously slippery phone in the world.

By the way has anyone ever insured their Chinese phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I'm not very well up on specs of phones eg chips ram etc. If you were to compare a redmi 4x with a "regular" phone such as we'd see in a shop here, which one would be comparable?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone got a Redmi Note 4X? Currently using a MI4c thats been giving me issues so I'm looking at phones around the 200e or less range and want to try a 5.5in screen. Note 4x looks pretty good
    Also been looking at things like Zuk Z2 and Mi5. Any thoughts on which EU warehouse store is the best/quickest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Ordered an international redmi note 3 pro from honorbuy Spain warehouse. I have been using a redmi note 3 for last few months and delighted with it but needed band 20 so gone with the international pro version. Does anyone know if there is any advantage other than the band 20 with this model. Also has anyone had any experience with using honorbuy and their Spain warehouse stock? What are their average delivery tines using the euro express option? Who do they use for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Hi guys,just got my MI MAX, It has a dual SIM tray or 1 sim and 1 sd card. Has anyone managed to slice a sim card and stick it on the sd card so you can use 2 Sims and an sd card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

irishchris wrote: »
    Ordered an international redmi note 3 pro from honorbuy Spain warehouse. I have been using a redmi note 3 for last few months and delighted with it but needed band 20 so gone with the international pro version. Does anyone know if there is any advantage other than the band 20 with this model. Also has anyone had any experience with using honorbuy and their Spain warehouse stock? What are their average delivery tines using the euro express option? Who do they use for delivery

They aren't as quick as others from Europe but reliable enough, make sure you pay for express delivery or you will have no idea when its arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

horse7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,just got my MI MAX, It has a dual SIM tray or 1 sim and 1 sd card. Has anyone managed to slice a sim card and stick it on the sd card so you can use 2 Sims and an sd card?

http://www.simore.com/en/sim-card-extension-adapter-dualsim-hybrid-slot-smartphones-tablets-x-extender.html

Would that do the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Funnily enough I ordered the exact same phone from them last night and got an email this morning to say it had been shipped. 2 - 5 business days is their stated delivery time

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    Funnily enough I ordered the exact same phone from them last night and got an email this morning to say it had been shipped. 2 - 5 business days is their stated delivery time

oi thats my phone lol

hopefully mine ships today. let me know when yours arrived if you get chance mate as will give idea of true shipping times, cheers

stuchyg wrote: »

mine just shipped now. strange they dont say which carrier but glad to see it shipped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

When I ordered my Mi Max I ordered it Monday had it by Thursday, delivered by DHL. If you're ordering from their EU warehouse there is only one shipping option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Anyone recommend a site to buy the Mi5s Plus international version from please?

One more question- band 20- is it only used by Three in rural areas? So if I'm with any other network it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone recommend a site to buy the Mi5s Plus international version from please?

One more question- band 20- is it only used by Three in rural areas? So if I'm with any other network it doesn't matter?

Thanks,
    Pa

All of them have a slice of that pie (B20 = 800Mhz).

2h88zkj.jpg

Not having it will likely mean slower city speeds too due to Intraband CAgg on newer handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

ED E wrote: »
    All of them have a slice of that pie (B20 = 800Mhz).

2h88zkj.jpg

Not having it will likely mean slower city speeds too due to Intraband CAgg on newer handsets.

Thanks. Should one avoid a phone that doesn't have it so? I'm living just outside Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dinneenp wrote: »
    Thanks. Should one avoid a phone that doesn't have it so? I'm living just outside Galway.

Loads dont have it and get on ok. For me in Dublin its almost 50% of the 4G sites I pass. As a heavy data user I wouldnt want to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If those things work why dont they just build them into the phones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement