Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

eamonnq wrote: »
    How long have you had it, would you not prefer a new shiny phone ?:D

16 months

I'll be upgrading to the note 3 pro when finances permit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

How long have you had it, would you not prefer a new shiny phone ?:D

Stop before you turn him into me :D funny though I love my 3 year old scruffy Galaxy Note 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Stop before you turn him into me :D funny though I love my 3 year old scruffy Galaxy Note 3.

I am still looking for an excuse to replace my Elephone P9000, I think I need dual-camera and Snapdragon !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I am still looking for an excuse to replace my Elephone P9000, I think I need dual-camera and Snapdragon !! :D

https://www.slashgear.com/moto-x-2017-leak-reveals-dual-cameras-snapdragon-625-28480053/
    ;) You're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

GBX wrote: »

It will probably have to be Chinese though and around 200euro!! :D

• Advertisement

We really don't like splashing the cash in here do we :D

We really don't like splashing the cash in here do we :D

We could go ahead and spend 700 on a device that explodes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Folks, can I get some recommendations for a new phone please. The criteria being:

- Snapdragon
    - Decent display, and bare minimum 5.5" screen size. Ideally 5.7" or 6"
    -Decent battery life
    - Max budget €300

I'm thinking the LeMax 2 but am a bit concerned about future updates/support from LeEco. Alternatively the Mi Max but feel that the display quality might be slightly lacking due to screen size and below average DPI. Then there is the Mi Note Pro but it a bit outside budget, however I could possibly stretch to if it was worth it. Is there anything else I should be considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I've been thinking a lot about getting this phone but the apparent uncertainty with future updates from LeEco is causing me to hold back at the moment. How are you finding the phone over all? Would you recommend it? How is the User Interface? Was the screen as good as you expected considering it's 2k? And lastly, where did you buy it from? TIA

I've not really read anything about the uncertainty of future updates bar on here but that doesn't bother me. I don't tend to hold on to phones too long for that to be an issue ;) Anyway there's custom roms available for it.

As for the phone, I like it so far. It's thicker/heavier than I'm use to (last few phones were S7 edge, Note 7, oppo r7plus, iphone 6), but that's not too much of a problem.
    User Interface is good, fast response. I did put Nova launcher on it like I always do so it looks like regular android. Only major difference so far is the swipe down from the notifications bar does not a have a settings option or the quick icons for wifi/bluetooth/flight mode/etc., to get these you press the menu button in the bottom left (below the screen). It's all there and you can customise it, it's just unusual to have it there.
    Screen is excellent, not as saturated a the samsungs but very good.
    It has "Dolby Atmos" sound function but I'm not sure what improvement it making sound more surround like....I'm not an audiophile :o
    Lastly I got it from banggood and bar the fear of shipment going missing when I saw the delivery company it turned up after a couple of weeks and very well packaged and protected.
    FYi it comes in with a perfectly fitting clear cover in the box which I always like, my Oppo had that too. There's a US charger and USB-C headphones with it too.....there's no headphone jack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

RossieMan wrote: »
    If your note w has become slow it's something's you've done with it. Mine runs better now than it did day 1.

It still runs well, but when I have anything more than 3 apps open at once, simple screen swipes just take a second longer than normal. Considering I paid €140 for it all in, I'm really happy with it, but when I see the Redmi 4 going for 170 or so, I can't help but think an upgrade is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Do all Xiaomi phones have 4G capabilities? What do I need to look out for?

Thanks

BullBauld wrote: »

Thanks

Majority have but may not have all the bands - Band20 is missing which does not pick up 4g in every location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

BullBauld wrote: »

Thanks

http://willmyphonework.net/ there you can check with your network provider if it is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

General Question:

I heard that in one of the Android updates (N or O?) Google is separating back-end from front to give it a more stock behavior across all phones.

Does this mean some of the Chinese makers won't be able to have such strict Security managers on them? I'm reluctant to get another Xiaomi atm cos of some of the minor annoyances with permissions etc. but if that was going to change I'd be straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Oukitel u15 pro 4g on Ali ex... Cant post a link ...decent spec for under 100 ..
    Yay or Nay ??
    Tried posting link here but wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Just bought a Zuk Z2 for about €150 and looks to be a very decent package for that type of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Anyone on nougat on their Redmii note 3.if so is a link I can get it from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭leche solara

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Oukitel u15 pro 4g on Ali ex... Cant post a link ...decent spec for under 100 ..
    Yay or Nay ??
    Tried posting link here but wont work

I got the Oukitel U15s recently and can't find fault with it

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

Hey all. I am looking for a phone (max 160 euro) and wondering if I could get some recommendations. I'd prefer to buy from eu based shops than directly from China(customs etc).
    Apologies if such posts are not allowed here.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Hey all. I am looking for a phone (max 160 euro) and wondering if I could get some recommendations. I'd prefer to buy from eu based shops than directly from China(customs etc).
    Thanks

What are you looking to do with this phone? Playing, texting, facebooking, photos ... ?

Thanks

https://www.coolicool.com/stock-in-europe-gigaset-me-pure-3gb-ram-32gb-rom-qualcomm-snapdragon-615-17ghz-octa-core-50-inch-2-g-44194

https://www.coolicool.com/stock-in-europe-umi-touch-3g-ram-front-fingerprint-metal-unibody-4000mah-mtk6753-13ghz-octa-core-5-g-43504

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

jozi wrote: »
    Anyone care to advise if the Xiaomi Mi5 is worth the extra 100 quid over the Zuk Z2. Zuk is 200 for 64GB while the Xiaomi is 300 for 64GB.

I'm sure I've seen it for 240 on eglobal on Friday.

I can't comment I the zuk but I really like my mi5 with lineageos
    How easy was it to flash it with Lineage, any issues and do you have a link to the guide you used? Thanks.
    I'll be moving from the global stable ROM, assuming oppomart don't install a vendor ROM again (I've asked them not to). Sent my phone to them on the 17th January and they only sent it back this week. 2 months and 30 emails for anyone considering sending a phone to China. Luckily I had a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

lafors wrote: »
    I've not really read anything about the uncertainty of future updates bar on here but that doesn't bother me. I don't tend to hold on to phones too long for that to be an issue ;) Anyway there's custom roms available for it.

I was all set for the LeEco Le Max or or Pro but a few concerns from here put me off and I've gone for the Mi 5s instead.

The LeMax 2 has great spec for a great price- available here 6GB RAM 128GB ROM for €265, with free shipping from Europe. Not international version though.

So I've narrowed my choice to the Redmi 4 Pro or Zuk Z2

Tradingshenzhen have the Redmi4 Pro all in for €180, but Banggood have the Zuk Z2 for $175 w/ free shipping (Redmi 4 is out of stock there).

I wanted to use aliexpress but none of the sellers ship to Germany.

Which seems like the better deal? I'm sold on the Redmi4, but the Z2 seems to have even better hardware.

I'm kinda used to MIUI from my Redmi Note 2, but is the Z2 much harder to set up?

So I've narrowed my choice to the Redmi 4 Pro or Zuk Z2

Tradingshenzhen have the Redmi4 Pro all in for €180, but Banggood have the Zuk Z2 for $175 w/ free shipping (Redmi 4 is out of stock there).

I wanted to use aliexpress but none of the sellers ship to Germany.

Which seems like the better deal? I'm sold on the Redmi4, but the Z2 seems to have even better hardware.

I'm kinda used to MIUI from my Redmi Note 2, but is the Z2 much harder to set up?

Even though you are used to MIUI, it would be easy to switch back to standard android on the Z2.
    The one thing that puts me of Xiaomi is the power management, and by the hw comparison id go with the Z2.

Even though you are used to MIUI, it would be easy to switch back to standard android on the Z2.
    The one thing that puts me of Xiaomi is the power management, and by the hw comparison id go with the Z2.

Would the extra battery capacity of the Redmi 4 not be a plus in their favour though? or does it make much of a difference at all.

Actually just saw the Redmi 4 Pro is on Gearbest for €140

I think I'll go with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

rickyjb wrote: »
    How easy was it to flash it with Lineage, any issues and do you have a link to the guide you used? Thanks.
    I'll be moving from the global stable ROM, assuming oppomart don't install a vendor ROM again (I've asked them not to). Sent my phone to them on the 17th January and they only sent it back this week. 2 months and 30 emails for anyone considering sending a phone to China. Luckily I had a back up.
    I don't remember if toy need to be on stable or global before flashing. All instructions should be on the lineage website otherwise check the xda thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement