Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

g0g wrote: »
    Is triggering MIUI updates something you need to do manually? I'm on 8.1.1.0 Stable on my Redmi 3S Pro Prime and I'm pretty sure it should be a more recent version.

It's possible you have a vendor rom if it's not updating or have you checked this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

corkie wrote: »
    Just noticed an update for playstore on xda labs Version 7.7.08
    https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.android.vending

Also available on apkmirror
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-store/

Release yesterday, so has anyone with problems with the store tried the new version?

Edit: - Problems persist with the above update, here is another solution: -
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/guide-temporary-fix-google-play-store-t3582024

Updated play store worked for me. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

jozi wrote: »
    It's possible you have a vendor rom if it's not updating or have you checked this already?
    How do I check? I was sure it was just a basic version of MIUI and haven't noticed ads etc on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

g0g wrote: »
    How do I check? I was sure it was just a basic version of MIUI and haven't noticed ads etc on it.

Vendor Roms

The above link explains them, if you can not use the updater app to manually update then you more likely have one!

I'm in the market for a new phone. I have had Samsung Galaxys for the last few years. Last one is a S5.

What would be a similar type of phone? I was looking at the Xioaomi Redmi Note 4 and the Lenovo P2.

What are the main differences between. I know the P2 has an extra gig of RAM. Is that a major factor? I am a dunce when it comes to technology so any advice is welcome and appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

I'm in the market for a new phone. I have had Samsung Galaxys for the last few years. Last one is a S5.

What would be a similar type of phone? I was looking at the Xioaomi Redmi Note 4 and the Lenovo P2.

What are the main differences between. I know the P2 has an extra gig of RAM. Is that a major factor? I am a dunce when it comes to technology so any advice is welcome and appreciated.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/lenovo-vibe-p2-32gb,xiaomi-redmi-note-4x

The Lenovo has one GB of Ram more, Gorilla Glas and a bigger battery, that costs some Euros more. Rest seems highly identical. Neither is a bad choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Ended up going for the redmi note 4 international version over the mi5. Have it two days. Battery has been amazing! Off charge since yesterday morning. Battery now at 45% with on screen time of 6hours.

Coming from a galaxy alpha I'm well impressed with the phone so far. Still getting to grips with it. Haven't flashed a new rom onto it yet. Debating whether or not to do it.

What would ye recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Lenny17123 wrote: »
    Ended up going for the redmi note 4 international version over the mi5. Have it two days. Battery has been amazing! Off charge since yesterday morning. Battery now at 45% with on screen time of 6hours.

Coming from a galaxy alpha I'm well impressed with the phone so far. Still getting to grips with it. Haven't flashed a new rom onto it yet. Debating whether or not to do it.

What would ye recommend?

Would recommend nitrogen os. Best Rom I have used and is based on nougat.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Hi All

I have Huawei P9 ( received as gift ) and was wondering why hadn't got Nougat update yet, so i contact Huawei support who told me that my phone is Chinese origin and i need to contact Taiwan support. What I'm wondering is will i receive OTA updates here in Ireland for phone bought in China?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

Bulmers wrote: »
    Hi All

I have Huawei P9 ( received as gift ) and was wondering why hadn't got Nougat update yet, so i contact Huawei support who told me that my phone is Chinese origin and i need to contact Taiwan support. What I'm wondering is will i receive OTA updates here in Ireland for phone bought in China?

cheers

I assume you should still get OTA updates, I don't have experience with Huawei phones but any Chinese phone I've had has received OTA updates. The issue may be that you are not on the stock ROM

• Advertisement

cheers

i done quick google and the build version is being listed as stock ROM.

Huawei support told me since IMEI listed for China, i'd need Chinese sim and be connected to china network to get the OTA to work?

maybe will wait another while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Orderef 2 phones (Mi 5s and Note 4)from Geekbuying, processed on March 31st.
    I got DHL update today so should have them soon. Excited.
    EVENT CATEGORY
    07 Apr 17 7:25 AM - Customs status updated - SHANNON,IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF

Further Details - Shipment has been given a release by Customs.

Update -
    Got both phones. Customs €23.01 in total, happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

cheers

i done quick google and the build version is being listed as stock ROM.

Huawei support told me since IMEI listed for China, i'd need Chinese sim and be connected to china network to get the OTA to work?

maybe will wait another while

Is there not PC software you can force an update with?

Is the Umi Max any use?

there is HiSuite, tried to check for update but for some reason it keeps saying no internet connection ( when there is ) so not sure why the PC sw cant see internet via phone as can browse net etc on the phone when connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

there is HiSuite, tried to check for update but for some reason it keeps saying no internet connection ( when there is ) so not sure why the PC sw cant see internet via phone as can browse net etc on the phone when connected.

Maybe check the XDA forums for a manual method of updating firmware!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Lenny17123 wrote: »

What would ye recommend?

You mind me asking where you bought it from? Similar to you I'm thinking Mi5 or Note 4. Think the phone is powerful enough for your usage compared to an Mi5?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Hayezer wrote:
    You mind me asking where you bought it from? Similar to you I'm thinking Mi5 or Note 4. Think the phone is powerful enough for your usage compared to an Mi5?

I got it from honorbuy, was one of the more expensive sites but had no issue with extra charges. Cost me €220 all in, and received it 3days after ordering.

I find it very good for my uses. I don't play many games on the phone but use apps like Spotify, YouTube, fitbit, mapmyrun. So data, Bluetooth, GPS have been on constantly and battery performing perfectly. Also haven't found any lag.

The mi5 has the same ram as the version I got albeit with a better chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

After cracking the screen on my Umi Plus.. Not sure whether to replace the screen or just go the whole way and get a new phone :(

Looks like it will cost somewhere in the region of 50 quid for a replacement LCD according to eBay.. And it will take upwards of two weeks to arrive..

Looked at teardown video and it doesn't look too easy to replace..

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Danger781 wrote:
    After cracking the screen on my Umi Plus.. Not sure whether to replace the screen or just go the whole way and get a new phone

Other than the phone cracking how have you found the umi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

In case anyone is having troubles unlocking their Xiaomi devices bootloader, I got permission and was waiting 14 days. Went into the Dev options and kept getting the 10008 error and the unlocked would not get passed 50 percent. I set my VPN on my phone to Hong Kong. I tried to add the account. No more 10008 error and the unlock app is getting passed 50 percent. Just gotta wait 72 more hours. So give the above a go :)

Sorry guys, last stupid question. If I wanted to buy any of the phones that I previously mentioned, would I have to tinker with them to get them to work or will I just be able to insert my aim and play away. I don't want to waste my money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sorry guys, last stupid question. If I wanted to buy any of the phones that I previously mentioned, would I have to tinker with them to get them to work or will I just be able to insert my aim and play away. I don't want to waste my money

No like any phone they should work straight away out of the box. It's only when you want to try different ROMs that it becomes messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GBX wrote: »
    No like any phone they should work straight away out of the box. It's only when you want to try different ROMs that it becomes messy.

Disagree when it comes to MUI/EUI (Xiaomi and Leeco), lots of stupid "features" that have to be reconfigured out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fair enough .. I've never had either of those brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

ED E wrote: »
    Disagree when it comes to MUI/EUI (Xiaomi and Leeco), lots of stupid "features" that have to be reconfigured out of the box.

Im waiting on my new Le Max 2, will there be much work to getting it up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Have an Xiaomi and nothing stupid to be configured, besides creating an optional MI account. Worked straight out of the box, but also was ordered with international rom. So really interested what I have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Harika wrote: »
    Have an Xiaomi and nothing stupid to be configured, besides creating an optional MI account. Worked straight out of the box, but also was ordered with international rom. So really interested what I have to do.

The only thing I've found might need tweaking on a Xiaomi is changing some of the overly restrictive battery settings - these stop apps running in the background which means that they don't waste your battery, but you don't always get notifications.

Even with the battery saving toned down a bit, I've always found battery life quite good on a Xiaomi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I had issues with notifications of apps, alarm wouldn't go off in the morning, some other random stuff I don't remember.

I can't remember what I changed, I did only 2 maybe 3 of the suggested things here https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2016/11/17/how-to-fix-push-notifications-on-xiaomis-miui-8-for-real/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

An adware timebomb was the only issue i had with my xiaomi

Got it from gearbest EU unsurprisingly and took me a while to figure out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement