Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

pcasso wrote: »
    I think it is.
    The battery drain started immediately after a weekly update and the forums were full of similar complaints with the android system being the main user of the battery

True but to be sure its always best to test after a hard reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Is there much difference between 1080p and 2160p?? Looking at xiomi redmi note 4 and the mi max and camera quality is fairly important to me but looking at videos online and wondering is it necessary

Is there much difference between 1080p and 2160p?? Looking at xiomi redmi note 4 and the mi max and camera quality is fairly important to me but looking at videos online and wondering is it necessary

Mi Max camera is average to good with light and poor in low light conditions. Doesn't cope super well with moving objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Looking for a phone, budget is € 125 max. Looking at these two and unsure what to get.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/wileyfox-swift-2,xiaomi-redmi-4a

Both phones can be got for € 120, sourced from the EU.

Any other suggestions welcome. The only thing I'd want, is that I get the phone from an EU source. Phone usage is light browsing, YouTube etc, no games played on it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

trixiebust wrote: »
    Looking for a phone, budget is € 125 max. Looking at these two and unsure what to get.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/wileyfox-swift-2,xiaomi-redmi-4a

Both phones can be got for € 120, sourced from the EU.

Any other suggestions welcome. The only thing I'd want, is that I get the phone from an EU source. Phone usage is light browsing, YouTube etc, no games played on it.

Thanks.

The 4a is a low enough spec and only 3000Ah battery

The 4x is better spec and battery if you can get it for 125

• Advertisement

Custom's included. Linky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

fixxxer wrote: »
    True but to be sure its always best to test after a hard reset.

My thoughts exactly.

Somewhere I the update something could have gone wrong, a factory reset might not have the same problem and you've none of the hassle associated with roms

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

Just a quick question.
    I have had the play store and google installed on my redmi3.
    If I do a factory reset as suggested, or indeed subsequently install an older version rom, will I have to re install the play store and google again

pcasso wrote:
    Just a quick question. I have had the play store and google installed on my redmi3. If I do a factory reset as suggested, or indeed subsequently install an older version rom, will I have to re install the play store and google again

Yup. A full proper reset will clear everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

What kind of lifespan is expected from some of the more well known brands? Is 12 to 18 months the max, or with reasonable care is 2+ years achievable? Thinking xiaomi, hwawei here. Or does it become a case of a lasck of updates being the problem?

• Advertisement

What kind of lifespan is expected from some of the more well known brands? Is 12 to 18 months the max, or with reasonable care is 2+ years achievable? Thinking xiaomi, hwawei here. Or does it become a case of a lasck of updates being the problem?

2+ years is achievable with luck

xiaomi quality seems good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've a Xiaomi Mi3 on the desk beside me that's pushing 4 years old. Its had a few screen replacements in its day but its still flying along, can easily keep up with the best of them in day to day use.

Now it was a Xiaomi Flagship back in the day, think Xiaomi Mi5 prices new, and wildly popular so loads of community support but its still mad.

My LeTV X800 has basically been shat all over upon by the company and the community, **** custom ROMs, **** official ROM and no source code to make either better, and quickly superseded and dropped by LeTV (now LeEco). I'm going to be sick if I can't pull at least 18 more months, if not 24 from it. Its a year old next month, so we're less than a third of the way.

Tbf, they last as long as any other phone will, depends what you put into it.

I'm not up to speed with phones but my general longevity/price is
    €150-200 about 12 months+
    €200-250 about 18 months+
    €250 plus 24 months minimum.

My Mi3 was €250 to buy and I got almost 2 years from it, GF has been using it for a year, and I don't know how long the guy I bought it off owned it. My X800 was €250, my expectations for 2 more years live on. Never payed more than that so some of the fools lads might help if you're spending more.

If you spend the money and are willing to live with the same phone for that long, its achievable. I'd be a bit of a techie and have high standards for electronics, and I'd still be happy with the 4 year old Mi3.

*Edit* I see you mention lack of updates. 12-18 months would be standard for the likes of Xiaomi, if you are happy (you should be) to stick a custom ROM on your phone and update it whenever needs be, you can get a lot of life. The aforementioned Mi3 is currently running Android 6.1 MM, it would be on Nougat were it still my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I've a Xiaomi Mi3 on the desk beside me that's pushing 4 years old. Its had a few screen replacements in its day but its still flying along, can easily keep up with the best of them in day to day use.

Now it was a Xiaomi Flagship back in the day, think Xiaomi Mi5 prices new, and wildly popular so loads of community support but its still mad.

My LeTV X800 has basically been shat all over upon by the company and the community, **** custom ROMs, **** official ROM and no source code to make either better, and quickly superseded and dropped by LeTV (now LeEco). I'm going to be sick if I can't pull at least 18 more months, if not 24 from it. Its a year old next month, so we're less than a third of the way.

Tbf, they last as long as any other phone will, depends what you put into it.

I'm not up to speed with phones but my general longevity/price is
    €150-200 about 12 months+
    €200-250 about 18 months+
    €250 plus 24 months minimum.

My Mi3 was €250 to buy and I got almost 2 years from it, GF has been using it for a year, and I don't know how long the guy I bought it off owned it. My X800 was €250, my expectations for 2 more years live on. Never payed more than that so some of the fools lads might help if you're spending more.

If you spend the money and are willing to live with the same phone for that long, its achievable. I'd be a bit of a techie and have high standards for electronics, and I'd still be happy with the 4 year old Mi3.

*Edit* I see you mention lack of updates. 12-18 months would be standard for the likes of Xiaomi, if you are happy (you should be) to stick a custom ROM on your phone and update it whenever needs be, you can get a lot of life. The aforementioned Mi3 is currently running Android 6.1 MM, it would be on Nougat were it still my phone.

Great reply, thanks. My current phone, Motorola, cost a little over 100 GBP 2.5 years ago so would like similar longevity from an e150 to €200 phone.
    More wary of leeco now, they have good specs for the price but if there isn't going to be company or community updates in a few months I'll steer away.

Decisions decisions decisions!!
    Thanks again.
    Rn

I'm looking at replacement batteries on eBay

Some are described as 'genuine'

Does that mean anything or are the batteries generally any good?

Does that mean anything or are the batteries generally any good?

EBay is not the place to buy batteries. Most will be knock offs.

fixxxer wrote: »
    EBay is not the place to buy batteries. Most will be knock offs.

Where else

Amazon UK has them too, would they be any different

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Looking at spending max 200 euro on a new phone. Considering either like the Ulefone Power 2 or the Blackview P2. Battery would be the one of the most important factors as would call volume (starting to get a little deaf) and an OK camera. Any advice on the two above or other choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Where else

Amazon UK has them too, would they be any different

See what the reviews say, its kind of hard to give generalised answers about vendors the size of Amazon or Ebay where literally everything produced in China is sold.

Thargor wrote: »
    See what the reviews say, its kind of hard to give generalised answers about vendors the size of Amazon or Ebay where literally everything produced in China is sold.

Thanks
    These would be 'fulfilled by Amazon'
    Does that guarantee anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Thanks
    These would be 'fulfilled by Amazon'
    Does that guarantee anything

Nope. Just that Amazon are handling the shipping process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

The boyfriend needs a new phone, looking for something decent enough but doesn't have to be the highest spec going. The main thing is durability, will need to be dust, drop, & waterproof. Have been looking at Ulefone Armor or Rugtel Tank X10. Any opinions on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Looking at spending max 200 euro on a new phone. Considering either like the Ulefone Power 2 or the Blackview P2. Battery would be the one of the most important factors as would call volume (starting to get a little deaf) and an OK camera. Any advice on the two above or other choices?

Read the reviews here: https://www.gizchina.com/2017/04/14/ulefone-power-2-review-unlimited-power/ and https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/02/07/blackview-p2-review/
    It looks you cannot do much wrong with them. Ironically they also mention the Xiaomi Redmi note 4, that I just bought and I also get three days out of the battery, although it is only a 4000mah battery.

The 4a is a low enough spec and only 3000Ah battery

The 4x is better spec and battery if you can get it for 125

Thanks for this. Got the redmi 4x for € 100 on Aliexpress. Great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

I had wicked problems with my power. Badly made buggy 3.5 jack was faulty and camera worked when it was. I would not go near ulefone again

trixiebust wrote: »

Its a great price for it if you avoid customs

How long are these fones taking to arrive,ballpark

Its a great price for it if you avoid customs

How long are these fones taking to arrive,ballpark

First time ordering phone, so unsure. Delivery is within 7 - 25 days, so expect a few weeks. Even if it's caught in customs, total bill should be around € 130 .

trixiebust wrote:

Can you send me a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AHireland2k11

Any suggestions of a phone that would be as good as iPhone 6? How much would we be talking? Coming from iPhone 4s was going to get 5s but not sure. Ideal if it wasn't a way too big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Any suggestions of a phone that would be as good as iPhone 6? How much would we be talking? Coming from iPhone 4s was going to get 5s but not sure. Ideal if it wasn't a way too big screen

OnePlus 3T?

I'd say the high end phones match it no bother, doubt you'd get too much loss with the better mid spec phones either.

Probably €300-500 to match it at a guess

• Advertisement

trixiebust wrote:

Can you send me a link?
    Here you go..

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32794970567.html

A few stores selling them for € 100. Ordered mine from above seller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement