Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AHireland2k11

OnePlus 3T?

I'd say the high end phones match it no bother, doubt you'd get too much loss with the better mid spec phones either.

Probably €300-500 to match it at a guess

Any one with other suggestions? That price would that not be similar to the iPhone 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Any one with other suggestions? That price would that not be similar to the iPhone 6?

Xiaomi Mi6 out on the 19th.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/xiaomi-mi6-latest-rumours-release-date-uk-price-specifications-3653263/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Something around 300 should be more than adequate

If you got a fone with a snapdrogen 820 and a decent battery and 4g band 20

Whatever screen size you're after ,that should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cut the price of an iPhone in two, now you have the hardware cost. A lot of these androids are sold at small profits above hardware cost, whereas iPhones are doubled at least.

So a €600 Android would be specced similarly to a €1000 iPhone. As a huge, sweeping generalisation that leaves out a lot of variables. But its a start point.

Depending on your uses and needs, iOS may be better than Android for you, if that's the case it doesn't matter how much you spend, an iPhone is better suited. Android wins out in a lot of cases regardless so you're not gimping your phone, but there's a lot more at play than comparing just the prices.

As I said above, in terms of quality, support and general stability, a good €300-500 android can rival an iPhone.

Have a look at www.kimovil.com at some of the higher end phones, and read a few reviews and see what pops out at you, you'll probably end up reading reviews anyways so you might as well get a headstart while waiting on recommendations.

Yes

Kimovil is your best bet ,you can plug in the specs that you're looking for .

I'm guessing the camera is where you're going to take a hit here with the chinese androids

Does the iPhone 6 have a top notch camera ?

• Advertisement

Yes

Kimovil is your best bet ,you can plug in the specs that you're looking for .

I'm guessing the camera is where you're going to take a hit here with the chinese androids

Does the iPhone 6 have a top notch camera ?

The software is head and shoulders above most of the free android alternatives, I personally don't care for camera specs so I don't fully know the difference but this is my understanding. This is iOS in general, its always been this way.

If you need your phone for the camera, I'm sure you can close the gulf a bit with different apps but I've no idea.

Its not to say Android cameras are bad, they just aren't as good, even if better on paper.

Only time I've been unhappy with a camera was a nobrand phone that disabled the camera due to overheating :(

Tbf for Snapchat and selfies almost any decent phone is fine, imo if a camera is that important to you don't depend on your phone for it.

The iPhone 6 has only an IPS lcd and above average benchmarks so from a hardware point of view you won't have to spend a fortune.

Anyone use xiaomi redmi 4a or pro? The specs look better than the iPhone 5s e.g 2/3gb ram

Anyone use xiaomi redmi 4a or pro? The specs look better than the iPhone 5s e.g 2/3gb ram

Keep away from the 4a anyhow
    The 4x is better and can be got for 100 on ali

Keep away from the 4a anyhow
    The 4x is better and can be got for 100 on ali

Would the 4x be better than iPhone 5s?

• Advertisement

And is it the Note 4x?

And is it the Note 4x?

Go into kimovil and you'll be able to compare them all spec by spec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

If I buy from honorbuy will I have to pay any customs?

If I buy from honorbuy will I have to pay any customs?

If its not an EU warehouse, yes.

Literally the only guaranteed way to miss customs is buy from within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You cannot exactly compare specs between Android and iOS phones as even some of the iPhone 7 specs would be mid-level on an Android device (e.g. it has 2GB RAM) - iOS just uses less memory. But something like a Redmi 4x is a perfectly good smartphone for 90% of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Do Jiayu not make phones anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Do Jiayu not make phones anymore?

No, I think they made a newer S3 and that's it.

GBX wrote: »
    No, I think they made a newer S3 and that's it.

Seen that was their last phone, its a shame as they made some good phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Seen that was their last phone, its a shame as they made some good phones.

Yeah - I'm still using my S3. The rom support on XDA is brilliant. Running unofficial 7.1.1 with 7.1.2 due this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I've asked for a sealed box from an Aliexpress seller, but they are sending me an open one.
    Seller has good feedback, but says we'll install Google Play for you, don't worry all set up out of the box for you.

Does this really matter, or can they add anything else they want to the phone too ?

• Advertisement

Which would be the best of the xiaomi mid range e.g redmi 4, 4a, 4x, pro, prime, note 4x etc?
    Looking to be able to run facebook, twitter, snapchat, youtube, instagram, whatsapp etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

They add useless bloateare and usually there own ROM. It's fairly simply to reflash a new, standard rom when it arrives.

What's all this about having to get global rom? Haven't a clue. thinking about getting redmi 4x or 4 prime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

global rom tends to have no bloatware on it with some optimization for battery life etc.

it'll work perfectly fine out of the box, some people, myself included, just like changing things up.

but i would have no restrictions using it here while using the company rom?
    What are the main advantages of having global rom on say the redmi 4x or prime?
    Anyone have the redmi 4x or prime? Does it work on 4g here?

RossieMan wrote:
    They add useless bloateare and usually there own ROM. It's fairly simply to reflash a new, standard rom when it arrives.

No idea how to flash a new ROM. What I don't want is stuff added, that I've no idea how to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

trixiebust wrote: »
    No idea how to flash a new ROM. What I don't want is stuff added, that I've no idea how to get rid of.

All added extra apps from the international rom, I could remove by holding it and then pulling it into the trash. Easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

but i would have no restrictions using it here while using the company rom? What are the main advantages of having global rom on say the redmi 4x or prime? Anyone have the redmi 4x or prime? Does it work on 4g here?

You can check about the 4g on willmyphonework. Google will find it for you as I can't post links

trixiebust wrote: »

Titanium backup is your best friend for that.

• Advertisement

The phone I ordered was the Chinese version apparently, although nowhere on the ad it said that. All it said was Global ROM, OTA updates.

Seller says he's installed Global ROM for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement