Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cowlick

After trawling through this thread I bought a Redmi Note 3 last year, happy with the phone - does all I need and more (apart from the camera but I can live with that). Great help also from all the posters here. I bought through Topone who are no longer I think!

This time I'm looking for a bit of help - a friend has asked me to buy them a phone with budget of around €150. Just wondering if anyone has purchased in this price range recently and whats to be recommended. I really am a bit clueless and there's far too many changes and new models for a technophobe like me to keep up with.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I would recommend the redmi 4 pro, $154 at the moment on ali express goldway, my daughter got a redmi 3 last Christmas and loves it, fast and excellent battery life. Nice quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is a bit of a bargain, Xiaomi Redmi 4A Global Edition 5.0-inch 2GB RAM 32GB ROM Snapdragon 425 Quad core 4G Smartphone:

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-4A-Global-Edition-5_0-inch-2GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Snapdragon-425-Quad-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1136524.html?utm_source=tradetracker&utm_medium=tradetracker&utm_content=15981&utm_campaign=171762

Currently hot on HUKD so might not last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Thargor wrote: »
    This is a bit of a bargain, Xiaomi Redmi 4A Global Edition 5.0-inch 2GB RAM 32GB ROM Snapdragon 425 Quad core 4G Smartphone:

https://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Redmi-4A-Global-Edition-5_0-inch-2GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Snapdragon-425-Quad-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1136524.html?utm_source=tradetracker&utm_medium=tradetracker&utm_content=15981&utm_campaign=171762

Currently hot on HUKD so might not last long.

Its not a bargain, the superior 4x is going for less than 100

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Its not a bargain, the superior 4x is going for less than 100

where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

Currently got a Sony Z3 Compact which has a broken screen. Looking to replace it with a similar sized phone.
    Any recommendations for a smallish Chinese mobile?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hi,

Currently got a Sony Z3 Compact which has a broken screen. Looking to replace it with a similar sized phone.

Thanks.

www.kimovil.com

:pac:

www.kimovil.com

:pac:
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Unfortunately with there being such a huge amount of phones out there, giving recommendations is not as straightforward as peoples opinions vary from one person to the next. Kimovil is a great resource... as is signing up for newsletters from some of the vendors listed in the first post. Current offers to your inbox with the occasional bargain thrown in. Even just for info, sign up for the likes of Gearbest & Geekbuyings mails.

Thanks - was planning on just fixing the screen on my current phone, but thought I'd see what I can get out there as a new buy instead.
    Don't really want a big phone and nor d I want to spend over the €175 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks - was planning on just fixing the screen on my current phone, but thought I'd see what I can get out there as a new buy instead.
    Don't really want a big phone and nor d I want to spend over the €175 mark.

For example .. the last mail I got from Gearbest has some deals. May not be the cheapest per phone but give you an idea
    http://e3ai.gearbest.com/r/link/5ffceII7b842b3bdII279aIIf95f3II7b842b3e2II5/5%26utm_source%3Dmail_api%26utm_medium%3Dmail%26utm_campaign%3Dregular.0502%26eo%3DMMkr6WeJTe4Skm9i%26email%3Db2t8YmxhY2thbmRibHVlc0BnbWFpbC5jb218MTQ0NTQ%3D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Does anyone know where in Dublin I'll get a screen fixed for a redmi note 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi,

Thanks.

Zuk is good value, high hardware spec..Search boards,ie bargain alerts or hukd for zuk

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Just PM'd a mod about an edit to the OP there, so kimovil should be added shortly.

If anyone has any other edits they'd like to make, or an update on the chipsets in the OP please PM MiCrO or Davy and they'll sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭corkie

Just PM'd a mod about an edit to the OP there, so kimovil should be added shortly.

If anyone has any other edits they'd like to make, or an update on the chipsets in the OP please PM MiCrO or Davy and they'll sort it out.

TopOne is still linked as an aliexpress seller with EU shipping, but that store no longer operational. One of the owners is now selling on facebook, and is in the process of setting up a site I think.

Other suggest additions maybe MiShop.ie or The Solution Shop.

Haven't used them personally and the later has been promoting themselves on r/Xiaomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Can I get some recommendations for a phone in around the €200 bracket please.

I have a Moto G4 at the moment that is doing my head in

Looking for a decent camera, happy with 5/5.5 screen.
    Want to get as much bang for my buck really.

€200 plus duty would be fine if its a V good phone

Are the Mi5s good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

will56 wrote: »
    Can I get some recommendations for a phone in around the €200 bracket please.

I have a Moto G4 at the moment that is doing my head in

Looking for a decent camera, happy with 5/5.5 screen.
    Want to get as much bang for my buck really.

€200 plus duty would be fine if its a V good phone

Are the Mi5s good ?

KIMOVIL

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jeeese, this thread is getting fierce aggressive lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

ED E wrote: »
    Jeeese, this thread is getting fierce aggressive lads.

While I don't agree with the aggression, there is a lot of people wandering in and going "lads pick me a phone" lately, rather than discussing the pro's or cons of phones they have in mind. No one minds offering opinions on a potential purchase but recent posters are looking to be spoon fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

from the OP:

First up, finding a phone! Our favourite website for finding Chinese androids is www.kimovil.com , its a great website where you can choose a phone from a wide selection based on the specifications that are important to you, you'll get a link to some sellers and a score of out of 10 for numerous aspects to the phone.

There aren't enough regulars here to spoonfeed recommendations to everyone who comes asking "I have €100 what do I buy?", so if you find a phone you like on kimovil and ask us about it, you're much more likely to get an answer, and faster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Lost my phone at the weekend, really bad timing. I had been planning to wait for a OnePlus 5 before upgrading but now I might need to get something earlier.

Where is a good place to buy a HUAWEI - it has to be a dual SIM so I believe that rules out the Irish shops.

I have been looking at https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-huawei-p10

Looks pretty good. Are they good or should I wait for one plus5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Does anyone know anything or recently purchased from Broadnet.Systems...Looking at the BN-01 that they have, or an alternative to the BN-01 if anyone would like to recommend one..TIA

http://broadnet.systems/topics/228-handsets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Okay, sorry for the general request.

Is the Xiami Mi5 a good value phone, does anyone have experience with it ?
    Is there much of a notice able difference between it and the Mi4.

I have seen decent deals for both recently but not sure if reviews are being overly picky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hi,

Thanks.

Screen coming away on mine up the top too. Seems to be a issue with this phone although I've had it 2+years so can't complain

BKWDR wrote: »
    Screen coming away on mine up the top too. Seems to be a issue with this phone although I've had it 2+years so can't complain

They seem to heat quite a lot which affects the screen bonding and loosens it over time. You've done well to last this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Same thing happened my Z3. Local Chinese lad glued it back for a tenner but the proximity sensor was damaged too so I have to manually turn the screen off by tapping the power button when on a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 itsfantastic

Hi Guys. I stumbled across this form after seeing the lack of phone you get for our money here! I think i have narrowed my choice of new phone down to xiaomi mi5s. Is there any issues i should be aware of of using it in ireland? If anyone could point out a reliable online store that would be appreciated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hi Guys. I stumbled across this form after seeing the lack of phone you get for our money here! I think i have narrowed my choice of new phone down to xiaomi mi5s. Is there any issues i should be aware of of using it in ireland? If anyone could point out a reliable online store that would be appreciated too.

Xiaomi's are one of the better brands so not much worries on them.

Think a few on here have used https://www.mishop.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Anyone got a list of phones that are 4g/3g and not 4g/2g on 2nd sim?

Using 3 and basically doesnt work in Xiaomi Redmi 3 as 2nd Sim defaults to 2g

Think the Mi5 is one and Samsung S7 - anyone know of others

Lenovo P2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No list exists.

Make sure when you're buying you buy a phone that has band 20. Pretty much all Chinese phones do not have this, it's why 4g only really works in the cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

abarkie wrote: »
    Anyone got a list of phones that are 4g/3g and not 4g/2g on 2nd sim?

Using 3 and basically doesnt work in Xiaomi Redmi 3 as 2nd Sim defaults to 2g

Think the Mi5 is one and Samsung S7 - anyone know of others

Lenovo P2?

LeEco have a dual triple setup, so its LTE, UMTS and GSM on each slot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement