Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Hi all, thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Maze Blade (as far as I can tell it will work on the 3 network). Just wondering if anyone has dealt with efoxtienda.com and how they got on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hi all, thinking of taking the plunge and getting a Maze Blade (as far as I can tell it will work on the 3 network). Just wondering if anyone has dealt with efoxtienda.com and how they got on with them.

I got something from efox before, though the site never mentioned tienda.....not sure if its the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It will. Great all rounder on paper, at prices Im seeing listed thats a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I got something from efox before, though the site never mentioned tienda.....not sure if its the same.

Its just tienda is just store in Spanish. Same place so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Okay - I've been using kimovil to search for phones. I've filtered on handsets smaller than 140mm in height and running Android 7.

However, I noticed that Android 7 filter resulted in no hits. Why is this and should I be waiting to get a handset with the latest OS on it?

So, re-ordering things my search has resulted in the following options:

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-4x-4gb-64gb Xiaomi RedMi 4x
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi4c-3gb-32gb Xiaomi Mi4C

Should I be seriouly looking at upping my filter to 155mm as there seems to be a bigger range of handsets in this range? Although - I like the size of the Sony Z3C (127mm).

Opening out this filter would bring the following options into scope:
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-44gb-64gb-global Xiaomi RedMi Note
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-zte-nubia-z9-4gb-64gb ZTE Nubia Z9
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi5-64gb Xiaomi Mi5

My current contract is up in October - paying £26pcm for x hours calls (can't remember number, but I don't exceed it), unlimited texts and 4Gb data.
    I was thinking of changing this for a sim only deal and purchasing a handset outright. Is there anything I should be considering at this stage - either in terms of contract options or phone /quality/cost?

I listen to a lot of radio at work, so FM Radio is a must - I would use it more than texting & calls. Just realised that the Mi5 does not have this which is a shame as the size and stats seemed quite good otherwise.

• Advertisement

I listen to a lot of radio at work, so FM Radio is a must - I would use it more than texting & calls. Just realised that the Mi5 does not have this which is a shame as the size and stats seemed quite good otherwise.

Would you not just use the TuneIn App through wifi in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would you not just use the TuneIn App through wifi in work?

No access to wifi at work - so I would have to eat into data usage, which I'd rather no do, considering how often I listen to the radio.

Plus, considering the montioring policy they have in place, I just about get by with posting on here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

However, I noticed that Android 7 filter resulted in no hits. Why is this and should I be waiting to get a handset with the latest OS on it?

They typically use a flavour of Android, (MIUI). So would regularly be behind on android version. From looking into it a few years back, it was very rare that they would be updated at the time with very few getting much of a dev community.

When selecting a phone check out forums on XDA to get an idea of community support. I'd also recommending trying to look up official boards for a brand to get an idea of their overall support. It'll set an expectation for the lifetime of the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Can someone tell me what i should be looking for with china phones from china warehouses, i ordered a leagoo m8 pro for 73 euro from gearbest. Now i am fairly sure it will work on the three network with a pay as you go sim, but i will not know for sure until i get it, which should be in 3 weeks or so. if everything works out ok i might want to get an upgrade later on and give the leagoo to my nephew. I looked at quite a few models, but i am not sure when they tell you to check if it will work in ireland what i am looking for, some of these phones have khz numbers in 3g i think 2100 khz is ok for 3. or is it 4g. just so long as it can make and receive calls is what i need, but some phones have a different set of numbers and i cant seem to understand these, will they work in ireland.
    Could someone tell me what i should be looking for when checking to see if they will work in ireland on 3.

cranefly wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what i should be looking for with china phones from china warehouses, i ordered a leagoo m8 pro for 73 euro from gearbest. Now i am fairly sure it will work on the three network with a pay as you go sim, but i will not know for sure until i get it, which should be in 3 weeks or so. if everything works out ok i might want to get an upgrade later on and give the leagoo to my nephew. I looked at quite a few models, but i am not sure when they tell you to check if it will work in ireland what i am looking for, some of these phones have khz numbers in 3g i think 2100 khz is ok for 3. or is it 4g. just so long as it can make and receive calls is what i need, but some phones have a different set of numbers and i cant seem to understand these, will they work in ireland.
    Could someone tell me what i should be looking for when checking to see if they will work in ireland on 3.

I was using this site last night when looking at phones.
    http://willmyphonework.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

RossieMan wrote: »
    No list exists.

Make sure when you're buying you buy a phone that has band 20. Pretty much all Chinese phones do not have this, it's why 4g only really works in the cities.

Nothing to do with band 20, it's the 2nd sim defaulting to 2G

So i need a phone that is 3g/3g or 4g/3g

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Kunst nugget. That is a great site, thank you very much for that. will my phone work, so simple and easy to understand, that will make choosing my next phone so simple and give me piece of mind that i will know beforehand if it will work or not. That is why i chose a phone that was not too expensive as i was not sure if it would work or not here on the three network, now i can go looking for a higher spec phone, and a bit more costly with piece of mind. Not that the phone i ordered is any slouch spec wise, i ordered it mainly from watching a guy on you tube, techutopia is his site, after looking at different reviewers, i found him to be a bit more honest with his viewers. thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I see someone a few pages back linked 'the solution shop' and I went to the website and it looks good..just wondering where they ship from and would I need to pay customs as I can't fimd any of this on their website. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭corkie

I see someone a few pages back linked 'the solution shop' and I went to the website and it looks good..just wondering where they ship from and would I need to pay customs as I can't fimd any of this on their website. Thanks

https://thesolutionshop.global/eu-delivery/

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

so I just got my first android phone, xiaomi 3s. will it be ok to install stock android on it or would that brick the phone?
    thanks

so I just got my first android phone, xiaomi 3s. will it be ok to install stock android on it or would that brick the phone?
    thanks

Check here for custom roms and methods to flash them.

You may need to unlock the bootloader first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It's all gone quite on the Mi Max 2 front since that rumored launch with the Mi6 didn't happen :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beerbelly94

Not sure where to post this so I'll just ask here. If i order the Axon 7 from Amazon U.S it should work fine in Ireland right? Just want to make sure before I go for it.

Not sure where to post this so I'll just ask here. If i order the Axon 7 from Amazon U.S it should work fine in Ireland right? Just want to make sure before I go for it.

http://willmyphonework.net/

There is two sub model version for that device.
    A2017 which doesn't have band 20.
    A2017G which does have band 20.

Why Amazon U.S. and not a European Amazon, where you won't get caught for VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beerbelly94

US amazon is cheaper than UK amazon but I forgot to check the German amazon which is actually the cheapest. Cheers for reminding me .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Would anyone suggest going for an elephone 9000 over say a galaxy s5? And can the Chinese do android pay??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

peteb2 wrote: »
    Would anyone suggest going for an elephone 9000 over say a galaxy s5? And can the Chinese do android pay??

It'd be an improvement .. the S5 is a 2015 phone p9000 2016. Newer phone available with better specs though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

But no android pay though. Am I right? Most these Chinese brands have issue with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

peteb2 wrote: »
    But no android pay though. Am I right? Most these Chinese brands have issue with it

A lot of the Chinese brands don't seem to have NFC.

I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying kimovil or if it's making decisions harder. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Looking at getting the redmi note 4 here
    https://www.mishop.ie/product/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-64gb-rom-3gb-ram-smartphone-silver/

Or this:
    https://thesolutionshop.global/product/redmi-4-pro-3gb-ram-32gb/

Anyone using either of these phones? Just want to make sure the 4g will work on them,can't seem to see band 20 listed on them

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Neither of those two phones has band 20 which is what you want. The second one of the two is probably the better phone due to the qualcomm snapdragon processor. Battery life will be better and there is more software support for Qualcomm devices.

Here is the model you want band 20 for 4g and parts are available should you ever need them
    honorbuy.com/1095-redmi-note-4x-official-global-32gb-black.html

Neither of those two phones has band 20 which is what you want. The second one of the two is probably the better phone due to the qualcomm snapdragon processor. Battery life will be better and there is more software support for Qualcomm devices.

Ok cool,that's what I thought. Have you heard any feedback on this phone?
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-4x-global

Has band 20 but can't seem to find much reviews on the phone itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

rejkin wrote:
    Ok cool,that's what I thought. Have you heard any feedback on this phone?

Yeah that will work or on my last post I've linked to the note version of same phone. You just need to add www. As I can't post links from my mobile app

Excellent,gonna get that one then. Thanks for the help

*Edit* Actually looking at the spec of the redmi note 4x it doesn't include band 20..

• Advertisement

rejkin wrote: »

*Edit* Actually looking at the spec of the redmi note 4x it doesn't include band 20..

Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon Global version
    is the same phone with Band 20!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement