Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Do you need band 20 to get 4g or what is all the fuss about because I was looking at getting that particular phone

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you need band 20 to get 4g or what is all the fuss about because I was looking at getting that particular phone

You get 50% 4G coverage without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I think it is Band 3 and 20 that are used. In built up areas you will have no problems without Band 20 generally but I think in rural areas you will have problem. There is some code you can stick in your phone to check what band you are currently using. In any case just buy the model of the phone with Band 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

That redmi note 4 global edition looks ideal. Anyone know a reputable site selling it from Europe?
    Has anyone used www.honorbuy.com before? They have it in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

rejkin wrote:
    That redmi note 4 global edition looks ideal. Anyone know a reputable site selling it from Europe? Has anyone used

I've used them a good few times and never had a problems. Pretty quick on delivery from the EU store if an item is in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Mr.S wrote:
    What's the best way to setup a family account, do we all need to share the same address?

rejkin wrote:
    That redmi note 4 global edition looks ideal. Anyone know a reputable site selling it from Europe? Has anyone used

I've used them to. No problems with them. They have the Global versions with band 20 of the redmi 4x and redmi 4x note.

I'd take the note 4x over the note 4 because replacement screen are readily available for it should you ever drop your phone.

The note 4 global version is on paper the exact same phone as the note 4x global version but I can't find anywhere online that does parts for it or that could confirm that both phones parts are interchangeable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I've used them to. No problems with them. They have the Global versions with band 20 of the redmi 4x and redmi 4x note.

So some devices that are the same model may have band 20 and another may not?

So some devices that are the same model may have band 20 and another may not?

Yeah Xiaomi make a few different variants of some models of there phones. Honorbuy have a section on there drop down menu for xiaomi global version devices. All these have band 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Does global version not mean it has a global rom?

• Advertisement

jozi wrote:
    Does global version not mean it has a global rom?[/quote

It depends on the site. Some phones have global ROM but do not have band 20 (800 MHz 4g for rural areas). On the honorbuy site the section of xiaomi global version are all xiaomis devices with band 20.

You don't necessarily need band 20 as the phone will still work fine with 3g and gsm but if your paying for 4g with your network you might as well take advantage of it.

The terminology is normal GLOBAL ROM and INTERNATIONAL VERSION.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I'd take the note 4x over the note 4 because replacement screen are readily available for it should you ever drop your phone.

The note 4 global version is on paper the exact same phone as the note 4x global version but I can't find anywhere online that does parts for it or that could confirm that both phones parts are interchangeable

Very informative post, thank you. I'm currently deciding between these two phones. Have you used both devices?

Is there anything else of note lacking in the 4x in comparison with the Note 4?

edit: I've read that the 4x does not have Wi-Fi 802.11ac, is this a significant negative? Would it affect day to day use? I don't know much about the technical side of things!

.11AC vs .11N is just a speed difference. If your home internet connection is greater than 200Mb then in theory it matters, but in practice nobody downloads 20GB files on their phone so its not very relevant.

#15 wrote:
    Very informative post, thank you. I'm currently deciding between these two phones. Have you used both devices?

#15 wrote:
    Is there anything else of note lacking in the 4x in comparison with the Note 4?

#15 wrote:
    edit: I've read that the 4x does not have Wi-Fi 802.11ac, is this a significant negative? Would it affect day to day use? I don't know much about the technical side of things!

There are two different 4x global versions. Theres the redmi 4x which is a 5" screen device and the redmi note 4x with is the 5.5" screen. The note 4x is the better specced device on paper. Its got a better camera sensor and faster processor among other things plus the navigation buttons are backlit on the note models. I don't think they are on the 5" 4x.
    I think the general consensus is that the note is the better and more popular device.

I've never used either of these models but have had both their predecessor's the redmi note 3 and redmi 3 pro and in daily use I didn't notice any difference in performance.
    The main differences to the advantage of the note was backlight navigation buttons and dual band 2.4ghz & 5ghz WiFi.

I preferred the size of the 5" redmi 3 pro and still use it. I've rooted it and have the navbar buttons on screen now so they are backlit.

If and when I change my redmi 3 pro I think I will get the redmi 4x as opposed to the redmi note 4x purely on size again. The. 5.5" note models aren't much bigger in hand but feel a lot bulkier when in your trouser pocket.

ED E wrote: »
    .11AC vs .11N is just a speed difference. If your home internet connection is greater than 200Mb then in theory it matters, but in practice nobody downloads 20GB files on their phone so its not very relevant.

Thanks, I was wondering how significant it was. It's not relevant at all in my case!

There are two different 4x global versions.

Again, thanks. I hadn't noticed this, and I was confused when websites showed different specs for what I thought were the same 4x devices.
    Theres the redmi 4x which is a 5" screen device and the redmi note 4x with is the 5.5" screen. The note 4x is the better specced device on paper. Its got a better camera sensor and faster processor among other things plus the navigation buttons are backlit on the note models. I don't think they are on the 5" 4x.
    I think the general consensus is that the note is the better and more popular device.

One last thing, how does the 4x and the note 4x compare to the note 4?

https://www.honorbuy.com/1070-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-international-version-32gb-gray.html

They all seem to have band 20, which is a factor for me.

But unless I'm missing something obvious, from looking at comparisons on Kimovil they are all pretty similar and it comes down to personal preference.

#15 wrote:
    One last thing, how does the 4x and the note 4x compare to the note 4?

The note 4x global version with band 20 and the note 4 global version with band 20 look to be the same device but I'd asked a few sellers and asked on a few forums if this was the case and no one could confirm this. Either of these would be slightly better specced than the 4x global version.

Main thing is to be careful when ordering as there are so many sellers selling phones as global versions because they have a global ROM. Some sites list the phones with ban 20 as international editions or Taiwan version.

The devils in the detail just be sure to thoroughly read the item description before ordering anything.

Xiaomi produce too many different variants of there devices making it very confusing for the end consumer. Its a fast learning curve but you'll be happy with your phone when you get it.

Thanks, I think I will go ahead with the one listed in the link above. I'll post again when I receive the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone recommend anything better than this that ships from the EU in the €200 bracket?

https://www.honorbuy.com/1105-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-international-version-64gb-gray.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »

It made it into the last 3 id narrowed it down to tbf. I have an issue with that battery V's that spec screen... plus the lack of storage is my main issue so rules it out for me. Shame as it looks a really nice device.

Isn't there some concerns with that company going bust or something as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - I've been spending some time reading up on tunein as suggested and I think it might open more handset possibilities than looking for one with a built in FM radio.

In terms of the other spec categories - I think I might be over-speccing what I need in a handset. I don't do anything fancy with it. I just want something that fits comfortably into my pocket and does the basics.

Anything close to the Z3C seems to come in with a poor rating - until you drop down to Lollipop where the Z3C becomes available but at a high price - plus I don't really want another one at that price! I could buy a 2nd hand Z3C replacement handset from CEX for ?110.

AnTuTu: Realistically for someone who only uses the handset for mostly music/radio, along with some texting, WhatsApp, browsing, YouTube Sat Nav what rating can I genuinely start looking at?*

* I'm making the assumption here that this rating will encompass any potential queries about CPU and RAM.

Glass: Previous 2 phones have failed due to screens being unfeasible to fix. Should I discriminate on a certain Gorilla Glass type here or take any of them? Are they worth adding to the criteria?

OS: How come the Mi5 comes with Android whereas their other offerings use the MIUI OS? Is this a correct spec listing and is there anything to be concerned about using MIUI?

Decided to up my budget to €300. Bought the Xiaomi Mi5s 3GB 64GB from Honorbuy's EU warehouse. Bought the official smart cover as well. €304 delivered with no taxes. Happy with that given I couldn't wait for the slow boat.

Anyone with any hands on experience, looks a lovely phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Trond wrote: »
    Decided to up my budget to €300. Bought the Xiaomi Mi5s 3GB 64GB from Honorbuy's EU warehouse. Bought the official smart cover as well. €304 delivered with no taxes. Happy with that given I couldn't wait for the slow boat.

Anyone with any hands on experience, looks a lovely phone...

Nice phone. Nice to have NFC. Always good to have LTE band 20 in Ireland though. Does it have FM radio?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Nice phone. Nice to have NFC. Always good to have LTE band 20 in Ireland though. Does it have FM radio?

No Im pretty sure none of the Mi5 range have FM radios. Not an issue for me in the slightest. Always the digital route if im stuck I suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Im looking at the xiaomi mi5, if anyone has any experience with it please post them. Im wary about the reliability and tech support for chinese phones in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Just got the xiaomi Redmi note four delivered today from honorbuy.
    So far so good! Great screen,very responsive and quite a light phone for the size.
    The 4g works perfectly on it thankfully.
    The main screen on the operating system miui is a bit different to normal android that I'm used to,not too fond of it yet but I'll keep it for a while.
    One thing that is weird is when I go to set the region it doesn't have Ireland or with the UK on it,anyone run into that issue? Doesn't seem to affect anything but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

rejkin wrote: »
    Just got the xiaomi Redmi note four delivered today from honorbuy.
    So far so good! Great screen,very responsive and quite a light phone for the size.
    The 4g works perfectly on it thankfully.
    The main screen on the operating system miui is a bit different to normal android that I'm used to,not too fond of it yet but I'll keep it for a while.
    One thing that is weird is when I go to set the region it doesn't have Ireland or with the UK on it,anyone run into that issue? Doesn't seem to affect anything but still.

I've got one too, have it a couple of weeks. I followed the advice of previous posters about the region and just set it to Spain. You may have to adjust the time back an hour after selecting Spain but it's no big deal.
    Miui doesn't have an app drawer, all the apps are listed on each screen. Nova launcher was also recommended earlier in the thread and I've found it to be pretty good.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hey, what's the general timeframe customs take to release a phone. Mine is stuck there a few days it seems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement