Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Xiaomi mi5s.

I'll probably plump for the note 4 global myself as I want 5.5 inch screen anyway. You never posted what spec you were after so very hard to tell you what to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

RossieMan wrote:
    Xiaomi mi5s.

I was about to buy that the other night from Bang good but someone on here said it would only have 50% 4G coverage which turned me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Any recommendations for a Xiaomi Mi5 repair? Phone won't recognise the sim card and the Chinese site I bought the phone from has gone offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

manster wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a Xiaomi Mi5 repair? Phone won't recognise the sim card and the Chinese site I bought the phone from has gone offline.

I'd say any local phone repair shop wouldnt have a problem fixing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

My current phone has developed a problem with the power button so I decided to pick up a cheap interim phone to last me a couple of months until I can get something decent. Decided to go with the Leagoo T1 plus from GearBest as it was going for 99 dollars in a flash sale (It's out of stock now) from their EU warehouse.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_415740.html

Not an amazing spec on the screen but the 3GB RAM will more than do me for my light usage.

I'll let you know how I get on delivery-wise and how well the phone works.

Ordered this on Wednesday from Gearbest and it arrived at home by DPD today. Looking forward to having a look at it when I get home from work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My Ulefone Power has started doing funny things after 14 months of use and has taken on a life of its own!

I've just gotten a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 4GB/ 64 GB for €239 ( including courier & insurance ) from Geekbuying Spanish warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Beginning to think these Chinese phones are a bit of a false economy. Bought 4 myself (Landvo L200 - good for the price, Redmi 3 Note Pro SE - Great but screen broke and still trying to get replacement, THL T6 Pro - Good for the price, Le Ecco Max 2 X820 - Jury still out)

Starting to become reluctant to root and use custom roms now because many app now won't run on rooted phones.

Rethinking due to:
    - High failure rates
    - Missing features (band 20, Google play)
    - No comeback, guarantees or customer service
    - Delivery times and charges (Eu Warehouse)
    - Vat and An Post extra charges
    - Chinese bloatware and applications
    - Hard to get parts (screens) and accessories (cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's a nice middle ground, the cheap ones I'd agree on. The best value is with the higher end Meizu, Xiaomi, ZTE, ASUS phones, the mid range China androids tend to have lots of shortcomings.

For me, it makes no odds, if I get a Samsung, a Sony, a HTC, I'm paying through the nose for proprietary crap I can't get rid of without a custom ROM anyways. HTCs Blinkfeed and plethora of stupid OEM apps comes to mind.

So even if I was to buy a non-china phone I'd be sticking a custom ROM on it. Might as well save some money while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Wombatman wrote: »
    many app now won't run on rooted phones.

Try Root Cloak

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

k123456 wrote: »
    Try Root Cloak

I've never found an app this works on, same with MagikMask or whatever its called.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wombatman wrote: »
    Beginning to think these Chinese phones are a bit of a false economy. Bought 4 myself (Landvo L200 - good for the price, Redmi 3 Note Pro SE - Great but screen broke and still trying to get replacement, THL T6 Pro - Good for the price, Le Ecco Max 2 X820 - Jury still out)

Starting to become reluctant to root and use custom roms now because many app now won't run on rooted phones.

Rethinking due to:
    - High failure rates
    - Missing features (band 20, Google play)
    - No comeback, guarantees or customer service
    - Delivery times and charges (Eu Warehouse)
    - Vat and An Post extra charges
    - Chinese bloatware and applications
    - Hard to get parts (screens) and accessories (cases)

I've never had an issue with getting screens..admittedly limited to needing a Xiaomi
    Geekbuying are doing a €2.37 payment to pay for returns to their spanish location.
    My new Redmi Note 4 cost 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

My Ulefone Power has started doing funny things after 14 months of use and has taken on a life of its own!

I've just gotten a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 4GB/ 64 GB for €239 ( including courier & insurance ) from Geekbuying Spanish warehouse

Let's know how you get on, reports pls ???

Stop buying ****e brands. They're cheap for a reason. Stick with the big ones and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Wombatman wrote:
    Rethinking due to: - High failure rates - Missing features (band 20, Google play) - No comeback, guarantees or customer service - Delivery times and charges (Eu Warehouse) - Vat and An Post extra charges - Chinese bloatware and applications - Hard to get parts (screens) and accessories (cases)

Redmi 3 pro special edition screen can be got from honorbuy. It's hard to find one anywhere else though

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Is buying a phone from geekbuyings eu warehouse, germany or spain inclusive of vat, or do you have to pay an extra charge to the postman and a an post handling fee. Other chinese warehouses have eu warehouses as well, if you get the phone from them are they the same. Also guys a few ebay sellers have the same phones, and it says item location is hamburg, i suppose their is no extra charge for these phones also, but i am not sure. can anyone tell me if i am correct.

aslong as they actually ship from Hamburg.

Be careful that it doesnt say shipping from china somewhere in the small print.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My contract with meteor is up in June and I'm in the market for a new phone because the upgrade options are absolute crap. Who wants to be tied into a 24 month contract for a phone already at least year old at about 50 a month without paying large on the phone at the start... And still getting hit for 30/month.

I had my galaxy s5 neo robbed a few months back, and I loved that phone. Great camera, good processor, no issues. Replaced it with a Sony xperia x5, and it's crap. Overheats, laggy etc.

So can anyone recommend an android for in and around the 250 mark which would be comparable to the S6 at least? I'm not so well up on flashing roms etc so should be android from the box and should have Google play store. I use the camera quite a lot for work (architecture related) so it should be decent with a decent flash.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

RossieMan wrote: »
    aslong as they actually ship from Hamburg.

Be careful that it doesnt say shipping from china somewhere in the small print.

I checked everywhere for the small print, and it seems it will ship from hamburg, i emailed the seller just to make sure, but he is on a chinese boat race or something, said he will be back tomorrow, so hopefully get an answer before i put in a order for my brother in law.
    Reason i am asking is i bought 2 leagoo m8 pro phones from gearbest on a flash deal for 73 euro each, arrived a few days ago, and i must say i really am impressed, lovely big screen, a global rom i think you call it, so no chinese apps, google playstore already installed, just had to change my sim from an older one to a micro sim, it has two sim slots. Had to pay an extra 44 euro i think it was for the phones to the postman, as they were from china, so now the brother in law wants one, so i found the same phone on ebay for 87 euro and 91 euro same seller, so thought i would get him one from ebay instead of direct from china. I want to make sure their is no extra vat charge before placing the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Apologies if this has been posted already...

I'm looking for a charger for an Mi5s. I know you can pick up ones cheap as chips on Ebya etc. but you hear horror stories about dodgy wiring, not proper charging etc.
    So can anyone recommend a proper charger please and is there such thing as a quick charging charger for the Mi5s?

(It's a pain that the phone has a unique connection type)

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Apologies if this has been posted already...

I'm looking for a charger for an Mi5s. I know you can pick up ones cheap as chips on Ebya etc. but you hear horror stories about dodgy wiring, not proper charging etc.
    So can anyone recommend a proper charger please and is there such thing as a quick charging charger for the Mi5s?

(It's a pain that the phone has a unique connection type)

Thanks,
    Pa.

Is not just a USB C on the Xiaomi Mi 5S? In which case, something from Anker or Aukey, with a decent USB C cable, from Amazon should be fine.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Is not just a USB C on the Xiaomi Mi 5S? In which case, something from Anker or Aukey, with a decent USB C cable, from Amazon should be fine.

Ya, that's it...forgot the name for a moment. (nice that the port is reversible).
    Will check for Anker or Aukey so.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ya, that's it...forgot the name for a moment. (nice that the port is reversible).
    Will check for Anker or Aukey so.

Cheers,
    Pa.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01C8AN7Z4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01A42R46G/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got these recently, they do the job perfectly well. The Anker equivalents are good, too, for ever so slightly more.

corwill wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01C8AN7Z4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01A42R46G/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got these recently, they do the job perfectly well. The Anker equivalents are good, too, for ever so slightly more.

Thanks, will order both. Called into DID Electrical and €32 for a USB 3 cable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Thanks, will order both. Called into DID Electrical and €32 for a USB 3 cable!

If you are stuck I got one in the laptop shop in Stephens Green for €16. Still a rip off but ok compared to above (which is disgraceful imo).

Im going to buy 2 sets of these and leave them everywhere!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LAPLXV8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1NY92AVJG8AQH&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

OK so I've had the Umi Touch a week now so here's my thoughts.

PROS:
    Totalled around 120 with delivery/customs.
    Lovely screen very responsive.
    Good camera.
    Curved back make its nice to hold not too heavy.
    seems to pick up 4G better than the Galaxy note.
    Not buggy came with a update.
    Solid wifi, doesn't drop.
    Brilliant battery!

CONS:
    ****e fingerprint sensor.
    No notification lights.
    The little metal rectangle at the bottom is wonky:pac:
    Front facing camera is blurry on snapchat.
    Bluetooth can take time to connect.
    Music player or Gallery doesn't pick up things on the SD card, external apps needed.

Haven't had a chance to test the GPS so don't ask :D

Should do for a few months, until something epic is released:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

anywhere that stocks screens and digitisers for the Umi Super? bought one two weeks ago, the young lad dropped it on me and cracked the bottom, right where the back button is on the screen, so screen keeps dancing around.

really like the phone, so hoping that some phone shop has them in stock that can repair? I know they can be gotten from ali for about 30e, want it done asap though!

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Have le max 2 for sale if anybody wants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

mono_mac wrote: »

What price please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

mono_mac wrote: »

How much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Johemian

Is the volume higher on the Chinese androids against our own with the EU volume law or do the phones​ recognise they're in Europe and update with the volume limit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement