Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

corkie wrote: »
    Most people know to stay away from MediaTek devices as there is very limited custom rom support!

People love the idea of a well spec'd phone for ?80-150 but MTK really arent a patch on Qualcomm. The premium is very much worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

ED E wrote: »
    People love the idea of a well spec'd phone for ?80-150 but MTK really arent a patch on Qualcomm. The premium is very much worth it.

I paid €230 for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

pcuser wrote: »
    I paid €230 for it :(

As already stated you over paid for the device!

Redmi Note 4 MTK

Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon Global with Band 20

With shipping and customs, you could have got a better phone for same/less money.

I wont make that mistake again. Il save up and buy the snap dragon version. Thanks again for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

corkie wrote:
    With shipping and customs, you could have got a better phone for same/less money.

There's about a million differant redmi note 4 (x)

Would the snapdragon one be newer/better (?) Than the marshmallow one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

There's about a million differant redmi note 4 (x)

Would the snapdragon one be newer/better (?) Than the marshmallow one?

The second link above for "RN4 Snapdragon" is the same device as "RN4X" just with more band supported!

Snapdragon versions of xiaomi devices are generally better than the Mediatek versions.

Marshmallow is the android version that comes installed as the OS on the devices. Some device's may now have MIUI 8 Nougat roms (with missing nougat features). MIUI 9 rumored to launch in August should be better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

corkie wrote: »
    The second link above for "RN4 Snapdragon" is the same device as "RN4X" just with more band supported!

Snapdragon versions of xiaomi devices are generally better than the Mediatek versions.

Marshmallow is the android version that comes installed as the OS on the devices. Some device's may now have MIUI 8 Nougat roms (with missing nougat features). MIUI 9 rumored to launch in August should be better!

Thanks, learning a good bit here :)

Should I go for an older slightly more expensive mi max 1 with the 650 chip thing or newer redmi note 4 with the 625... it's driving me mad now. And the mi max is pretty big but I like that but perhaps to big??

Should I go for an older slightly more expensive mi max 1 with the 650 chip thing or newer redmi note 4 with the 625... it's driving me mad now. And the mi max is pretty big but I like that but perhaps to big??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm decided on the mi max. Where is the best place to get it lads. EU store. Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone else had trouble with camera backup to Onedrive on Miui? I've a RedMi 3S Pro Prime something. My WhatsApp stuff backs up fine, but not the normal gallery. Phone is meant to be saving media to SD card but I think it's actually all on the phone memory. Googling hasn't proven fruitful for answers. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi
    Anyone recommend a case/cover for the MI 5S that will protect it from a drop? I've seen this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B06VWY3QKL/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1497368900&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Mi+5s+durable+case#immersive-view_1497368943035 but would prefer something not as thick.
    However if there's nothing unlike that that will save it from drops I'll just go with something like above.
    Cheers,
    Pa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I just got an update on the redmi note 4 to 8.2.

The browser response seems to have improved and dealt with the lag it was experiencing

smilerf wrote:
    I'm decided on the mi max. Where is the best place to get it lads. EU store. Thanks lads

Honorbuy looks like a good option..they have reduced the price of the mi max 1 as the second 1 is out. There's one on 32Gb for 180€ which seems like unreal value. Is it 1 or 2 your lookin at?

Honorbuy looks like a good option..they have reduced the price of the mi max 1 as the second 1 is out. There's one on 32Gb for 180€ which seems like unreal value. Is it 1 or 2 your lookin at?
    1 im looking at . Looks good thanks

will Google play come installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wasay911

Hi everyone

I don't know I'm in the right thread to ask this question or not. Ok there's a seller on adverts.ie called smart goods selling brand new sealed in box sim free smartphones like s8, s8 plus and iphone 7 and many more for prices way lower than from shops, for example s8 is 799 in stores and he's selling it for 639. He's sold hundreds of phones and they come with 2 years warranty too. I want to buy one but I'm curious and a bit skeptical about the authenticity of the phones, as he doesn't say anything about the phone's country of origin or anything. But a lot of people have bought from this seller, wondering if any of you know anything. How can they be cheaper than the actual rrp. Thanks for any replies in advance, appreciate a lot....Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys,

I've an UMIDIGI Z Pro with the latest V7.01_20170605 OTA Build update installed.

Since I installed it I get a vibrate everytime an outbound call is answered. I un-ticked both the "Also vibrate for calls" and "Dialpad tones" boxes in the "Sounds and vibration" option in the Phone app but it doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions how I can get rid of this problem?

smilerf wrote:

Not 100% on that but I think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

smilerf wrote: »

It comes preinstalled on items bought from the (Honorbuty) EU store. No idea about items from China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

So the Mrs went for a walk last night with her 1 week old Remi Note 4.

She held the phone is her hand as she walked (about an hour) listening to headphones with the phone cupped in her fingers. ie. four fingers on the back of the phone and her palm against the front. Like she'd hold a purse. When she got home, this is what the screen was like...

20170614_075952.jpg

20170614_080001.jpg

20170614_080038.jpg

Phone was bought from Honorbuy.

I was hoping it was some kind of heat effect and it would have recovered itself by this morning but as you can see it the photo's it hasn't. It's no better or worse. Pressing the screen or bending the phone has no effect on it. It appears to be a back light problem.

Anyone have anything similar happen? Any suggestions? What are Honorbuy like for returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Was she feeling tense at any stage of her wallk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats one of the polarizing layers delaminating from the back of the display. Have two sony units that are plagued with the problem (crap LG display). Full LCD/digitizer replacement required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Thanks Ed. Would that be a fault ie. covered by warranty, do you think or will they say it was caused by misuse?

Scotty # wrote:
    She held the phone is her hand as she walked (about an hour) listening to headphones with the phone cupped in her fingers. ie. four fingers on the back of the phone and her palm against the front. Like she'd hold a purse. When she got home, this is what the screen was like...

That's really annoying anyway..imagine a screen replacement is only option(?)

ok so after a very long time on the look out and many thanks to the excellent advice from this thread, I'm going for the xioami mi max from honorbuy at 184euro. linked below. if anybody can spot anything that maybe I have missed, such as band 20 or something like that feel free to tell me as I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on this
    https://www.honorbuy.com/921-xiaomi-max-32gb-rom-international-version.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Shipping is another 30 euro on top of that, by the way.

RossieMan wrote:

Yeah I see that. Only after realising now that it could be out of stock ffs

I have decided to replace my Redmi Note 4 as its running the ****e Medaitek chip. I plan on spending around €250. I was thinking of getting the LeEco Le Pro 3 X720 from HonorBuy

I paid over the top for my last phone and bought the wrong version so I have a few questions to ask the experienced users.

(1) Will this phone work right out of the box with no bloatware? I dont really want to have to reflash a different rom.
    (2) Will it be able to update itself without flashing a new rom?
    (3) Would people recommend I buy this instead of another brand and model?
    (4) Is this the correct version of the phone I should buy?
    (5) Is there any reason I should not buy this?

I do realize the it has no audio jack but comes with an adapter. Thats fine. I spent about €250 a few weeks back and Im going to be spening close to €300 this time with shipping. I have to make sure that everything is right with this phone as the wife wont let me buy any more this year :):(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

RossieMan wrote:

But you'll get in a day or 2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement