Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've been running Lineage on my Mi5 since the first official release, I've had no issues what so ever!

If there's no guide/tutorial on the Lineage site then you'll find a good one on Reddit in the Xiaomi sub Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Which seller and did you use free post?
    abarkie wrote: »
    Hi

I got the a Redmi Note 4 Global version with Band 20, (4GB/64GB) for GBP £137 on Aliexpress with a silicone case

Order Sun 4th June Arrived Thursday 15th June

No customs

Took best part of a day to set up with apps etc

Need to work out how I can get my micro sd & 2 sims working now (as my adaptor doesn't seem to be working), but got plenty of memory so will be fine for a bit.

Feels better than my Note 3, so far, so good

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

bidiots wrote: »
    For the past few years, I've been out of the loop so to speak with regards flashing, can you list the process you used for the redmi, I need to sort mine out, cheers

1. Request permission to unlock the bootloader from http://en.miui.com/unlock/
    2. Xiaomi will send you an unlock code a few days later.
    3. Log in to http://en.miui.com/ and download the Mi Unlock Program and unlock the phone.
    4. Download and install TWRP recovery and LineAge OS 14.1 and GAAPS. You can follow the tutorial here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYcXlmGMCKY&t=555s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I requested the unlock code from Xiaomi a few days back and had it with 3 minutes, Hopefully it will be just as quick for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Which seller and did you use free post?

https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/2178148

Used free post after selecting USA then UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Are people not concerned that many apps won't work now on rooted phones because of SafetyNet (Android Pay, Pokémon GO, Snapchat, Netflix)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Sorry it this is wrong to post.
    I'm looking for some with my options.
    Other than spend £25 on parts and try to fix my Sony Xperia Z3 myself, I could buy a new phone.
    Looking at a minimum of similar performance/specs to what I have, if not better.

1. Cubot Max
    2. Motorola Moto G4 Plus
    3. Cubot Cheetah 2
    4. Wileyfox Storm

Have I missed any similar phones? I'm aiming to be under €200, but I can go a bit over.

Dual sim is not a requirement. Expandable memory minimum 128GB. Waterproof (just so it will survive being in a pocket in Irish rain for extended durations) is desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

kiddums wrote: »
    Other than spend £25 on parts and try to fix my Sony Xperia Z3 myself, I could buy a new phone.
    Looking at a minimum of similar performance/specs to what I have, if not better.

1. Cubot Max
    2. Motorola Moto G4 Plus
    3. Cubot Cheetah 2
    4. Wileyfox Storm

Have I missed any similar phones? I'm aiming to be under €200, but I can go a bit over.

Dual sim is not a requirement. Expandable memory minimum 128GB. Waterproof (just so it will survive being in a pocket in Irish rain for extended durations) is desirable.

Put your requirements in here www.kimovil.com and see what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

kiddums wrote: »

1. Cubot Max
    2. Motorola Moto G4 Plus
    3. Cubot Cheetah 2
    4. Wileyfox Storm

The Z3 was ahead of its time and still a great phone bar the battery. Better than that lot anyway. Get a couple of quotes on repair from repair shops. If less than €80- fix and stick with the Z3 for another while.

fixxxer wrote: »
    I'm checking that out now. Giving me some more options. Cheers.
    Wombatman wrote: »
    The Z3 was ahead of its time and still a great phone bar the battery. Better than that lot anyway. Get a couple of quotes on repair from repair shops. If less than €80- fix and stick with the Z3 for another while.
    I'm seeing that, still stands up against the others. Got 2 quotes, both said minimum of €200 for the fix. I can buy the parts for £25 though and try myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone found a good price for the mi6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

irishgeo wrote: »

€416 on honor, from the European store for the 64gb global version.

Gearbest had it for €340 yesterday on flashsale excluding shipping and taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I wouldn't risk that amount of money on Gearbest tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Meant to be a 'SALE' on Aliexpress tomorrow.

https://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/brands_0628xiaomi.htm?spm=2114.11010108.15.2.IZiej7

Sales are not usually very good though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Mi 6 doesn't support B20 though on LTE in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

abarkie wrote: »
    https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/2178148

Used free post after selecting USA then UK

Why select USA and then UK? Was your delivery to UK? Does that mean you used Parcel Motel?

fixxxer wrote: »

I've looked on here, and it seems like my choice is quite limited.
    Basically between:
    Blackview BV8000 Pro
    Motorola Moto X Force

I've never heard of Blackview and I've no idea what Motorola are like since Lenovo took them over.
    Does anyone know much about either? Both push the budget so I want to do my homework here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Phone on offer with Gearbest

That looks like a serious spec phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

thats some spec:eek:

The Mi 6 doesn't support B20 though on LTE in Ireland.

will that be a serious problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

will that be a serious problem

Discussed ad nauseum in thread, read back a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I ordered the redmi note 4 from honorbuy and it was coming fine and got to Shannon. They needed clearance to send it (DHL) to me then and they got it via e-mail and everything was alright. Now they have just sent it back to Dublin and I am fuming here over this, what are my options now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I ordered the redmi note 4 from honorbuy and it was coming fine and got to Shannon. They needed clearance to send it (DHL) to me then and they got it via e-mail and everything was alright. Now they have just sent it back to Dublin and I am fuming here over this, what are my options now

Who needed clearance ? and who sent it back to Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

eamonnq wrote:
    Who needed clearance ? and who sent it back to Dublin ?

Dhl needed clearance from me as they were unsure of the address. E-mailed them and said it was sent back to Dublin by error. Sitting in Dublin still since yesterday evenin even though they said they have it sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone buy from gearbest?
    Looking at phones getting shipped from Hong Kong. Get it delivered here or parcel motel it to the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Panthro wrote: »
    Looking at phones getting shipped from Hong Kong. Get it delivered here or parcel motel it to the north?

Some on here have. Some on here won't. Long standing debate about they were shilling and banned off here. Recent times has seen them with their own sponsored forum. I've never had any issue with them while others have had theirs.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=site%3Aboards.ie+gearbest&oq=site%3Aboards.ie+gearbest&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.12347j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Christ by the time I add on import it's an extra 85euros.
    Might be faster looking at European sites

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There is possibly better deals around. But even looking at EU sites/options on sites - you may often pay more to ensure it doesnt get stopped but there is no guarantee you wont get stopped by customs.

What phone(s) are you looking at?

Panthro wrote: »
    #

if it has customs due parcel motel wont accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Im thinking of getting the Xiaomi MI6, any issues I should know about. I assume I go for ther global version.
    Thanks, I did read a good few pages back but there is over 7,000 posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement