Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Dec4 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of taking a chance on this Global Version Xiaomi Redmi 4X 4 X PRO Smartphone 3GB 32GB 5.0" HD Screen Snapdragon 435 Octa Core 4100mAh 13.0MP LDD LTE OTA from Eternal Team.
    Two quick questions:
    1. i presume AliExpress is secure in terms of CC transactions?
    2. Is it better to go the route of DHL Express (€5.52) or Regular Post (€0.88)? Am I equally likely to get hit for VAT/duties with both options? If so, the DHL charge for handling adds about an additional €10 expense on top of VAT/duties versus An Post.
    Would appreciate any advice or recent experience on this...
    Looking at this also on banggood.com, anyone ordered it from there recently? Also looking to see what the best shipping option is to minimize risk of getting hit by customs. If I do roughly how much will I get charged on a phone worth €110?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I got 2 of the 3gb 4x this week. Ordered 2 in the same order so customs nabbed them. Total declared value was €214,customs charged 23% so €49,plus an post charged €10 handling fee, total charge €59. Not sure if that's a new thing for an post but they definitely charge it too. Took 3 weeks to get the phones out of customs too. Painful but worth it in the end, delighted with the phone for €130.

It's my second xiaomi, only issue I have is with pairing smartwatch but apparently this goes away with flashing a non mui ROM. Haven't had the time to figure that one out yet

I got 2 of the 3gb 4x this week. Ordered 2 in the same order so customs nabbed them. Total declared value was €214,customs charged 23% so €49,plus an post charged €10 handling fee, total charge €59. Not sure if that's a new thing for an post but they definitely charge it too. Took 3 weeks to get the phones out of customs too. Painful but worth it in the end, delighted with the phone for €130.

It's my second xiaomi, only issue I have is with pairing smartwatch but apparently this goes away with flashing a non mui ROM. Haven't had the time to figure that one out yet

Which site did you order from? How long did it take to arrive in customs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

fixxxer wrote: »
    They are literally the same phone, so either would be fine :)

720p resolution though, so that'll be noticeable, especially on a 5.5" screen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I'm thinking of taking a chance on this Global Version Xiaomi Redmi 4X 4 X PRO Smartphone 3GB 32GB 5.0" HD Screen Snapdragon 435 Octa Core 4100mAh 13.0MP LDD LTE OTA from Eternal Team.
    Two quick questions:
    1. i presume AliExpress is secure in terms of CC transactions?
    2. Is it better to go the route of DHL Express (€5.52) or Regular Post (€0.88)? Am I equally likely to get hit for VAT/duties with both options? If so, the DHL charge for handling adds about an additional €10 expense on top of VAT/duties versus An Post.
    Would appreciate any advice or recent experience on this...

Set yourself up with REVOLUT, and pay in USD, probably better to find a seller that guarantees no extra VAT charges while you are at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    720p resolution though, so that'll be noticeable, especially on a 5.5" screen

It was a joke, pointing out that originally he asked us to compare phones but posted the same phone twice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

is honkkong goldway doing eu express on all their phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

eamonnq wrote: »
    Set yourself up with REVOLUT, and pay in USD, probably better to find a seller that guarantees no extra VAT charges while you are at it.
    Just looked at recent reviews of Revolut on Playstore and it seem that if you have a problem you wait hours to speak with a human, probably a victim of its own success. Think I'll skip as I don't think it's worth the hassle...thanks anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A Xiaomi Redmi 4x, the 4gb version with the Global OS, what's the best price on this, and from where?

Seems like a very nice phone for small money, I imagine with Nova running it'd be just fine.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A Xiaomi Redmi 4x, the 4gb version with the Global OS, what's the best price on this, and from where?

Seems like a very nice phone for small money, I imagine with Nova running it'd be just fine.

I'm waiting on it to come back into stock on banggood.com, its "restocking" at the moment, gearbest have discontinued it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Just looked at recent reviews of Revolut on Playstore and it seem that if you have a problem you wait hours to speak with a human, probably a victim of its own success. Think I'll skip as I don't think it's worth the hassle...thanks anyway

The thing about that is the big IF, you are not likely to have a problem, but if you are worried about using your credit card on Ali, Revolut is handy, no currency transaction fees make it a bit cheaper to purchase too.

I would not be worried about using my credit card on Ali though either!

Cheers, just bought one from them now. Some phone for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Just wondering, has anyone tried ordering them Chinese phones to parcel motel, address pal addresses? Can customs duty be by passed that way? :-)

peaceboi wrote: »
    Just wondering, has anyone tried ordering them Chinese phones to parcel motel, address pal addresses? Can customs duty be by passed that way? :-)

They would still possibly get caught going into the uk. Parcel motel send back anything that has customs owed on it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

peaceboi wrote: »

Or just order from HongKong Goldway and choose DHL Express shipping. This lands it in the UK first then fwd to you with no Duty on your end.

https://goldway.aliexpress.com/store/311331?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.xI0s1Y

I'm confused about dhl express

If it says express in the dhl logo does that mean dhl express

Do they have it available for all their fones

Seems to be a legit way to avoid Customs, at least until Brexit takes hold!

That 4x Pro quoted above for €110 or so isn't a 4X, it appears to have a 720p screen, rather than the standard 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads on my Oukitel k6000 plus I keep making the screen smaller by mistake. Any idea how I'm doing this

Thanks

smilerf wrote: »
    Lads on my Oukitel k6000 plus I keep making the screen smaller by mistake. Any idea how I'm doing this

Thanks

Turn off one handed mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    I'm waiting on it to come back into stock on banggood.com, its "restocking" at the moment, gearbest have discontinued it.

Yeah I should have mine this week. Was 30% discount over the last month.

The wait is a killer even though it's the correct time frame haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Hi all,
    Looking for a good 6 inch phone. I like the bluboo maya max. Seems like a good price for the device and the reviews are good.

Would like to stay below the €200 budget. I have a redmi note 4 and love it. Will give this to the wife as her phone is acting up.

Thanks in advance.

NTC wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for a good 6 inch phone. I like the bluboo maya max. Seems like a good price for the device and the reviews are good.

Would like to stay below the €200 budget. I have a redmi note 4 and love it. Will give this to the wife as her phone is acting up.

Thanks in advance.

only 720p res. on a 6" phone

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/bluboo-maya-max,maze-alpha

there's a slightly better 6" fone

has 1080p and 4g lte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

only 720p res. on a 6" phone
    I recommend the Leagoo Shark 1. Never had an ounce bother til I dropped it. Only runs 5.1 but 1080p and 3gb ram

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Bluboo is a good phone but beware if you live in the sticks you lose 3G coverage due to a missing band, great 4G coverage in Dublin and large towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Just received my redmi note 4 global edition 3gb/32gb Snapdragon.

Love it so far, great camera and speakers. Smooth finish. Handles well.

Ordered off banggood. No duty. And they are or were discounted at present. Cost 150 all in with the express delivery. Ordered it 30th June arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Had to factory reset my Redmi note 3 last week due to problems of my own making, now when I hit links in outlook it won't take me there unless the equivalent app is already open, for example if I hit an Amazon link the Amazon app needs to be open or it won't take me there, any solutions for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

My phone got marked as shipped today.

I ordered from geekbuying, German stock apparently.

However, I can see the commercial invoice, and it has the Country of Export listed as P.R. China. The shipping is Germany-Express. Does this mean they're shipping it to me from China?

Its my address on the invoice, theres no mention of Germany on the invoice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/bluboo-maya-max,maze-alpha

there's a slightly better 6" fone

has 1080p and 4g lte

Thanks, I pulled the trigger on the maze-alpha. I'll let you know how i get on.

NTC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Thanks, I pulled the trigger on the maze-alpha. I'll let you know how i get on.

NTC

Is that on pre sale?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement