Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

You'd barely get it from China for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just pre-ordered a Umidigi Crystal from Banggood - should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

Hi, haven't read all of this thread so forgive if im covering old ground. I bought the 32gb 3gb redmi 4x global last week from ebay €160 odd posted from the uk. I also bought the payg 180 day pass-50gb data sim-€30 from meteor as my no. 2 sim and using it tethered to a laptop. Amid a little concern in the beginning it works great as a modem without the extortionate per mb usage charges.

ps...Im getting 4g on the 2nd data only sim in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

smilerf wrote: »
    Well my oukitel k6000 plus is gone back. Died after a month.
    That's me finished with Chinese phones

What happened? Maybe go for a Xiaomi instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

digitaldr wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered a Umidigi Crystal from Banggood - should be interesting!

Would you be able to post here , when you have used the phone, and what your impressions are Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Ordered a replacement screen for my Umi Super thats been sitting there for months, gonna chance my arm in a few shops see will they fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭trixiebust

The battery life of my Redmi 4x has decreased recently. Turned phone on today, within 5 mins had gone from 43 to 39 %.

The majority of my battery use is Android system @ 25% & Android at 15 %. Is this normal, because next highest drain is chrome @ 5 %.

No GPS, screen @ 10 % brightness, use WiFi mostly, not mobile data. Seems very high in comparison to the apps I actually use.

Any help appreciated.

Edit : Miui Global 8.2.10.0 global stable version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

What happened? Maybe go for a Xiaomi instead.
    It was overheating big time. That symbol I told you about and having to do a factory reset every time it came on. Little things to like my keyboard and wallpaper would change back to default

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

trixiebust wrote: »
    The battery life of my Redmi 4x has decreased recently. Turned phone on today, within 5 mins had gone from 43 to 39 %.

The majority of my battery use is Android system @ 25% & Android at 15 %. Is this normal, because next highest drain is chrome @ 5 %.

No GPS, screen @ 10 % brightness, use WiFi mostly, not mobile data. Seems very high in comparison to the apps I actually use.

Any help appreciated.

Edit : Miui Global 8.2.10.0 global stable version.

Right after you turn it on isnt always the best time to monitor the state of charge. That said, sounds like a rogue process. Check if the top two are keeping the CPU awake or the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

jozi wrote: »
    My mother has been using her Xiaomi for the last year with no problems what so ever, I have no problem recommending them. Father had been using a honor 5 (I think) with nova launcher to make it look a little more like his old Motorola

I do understand what you're saying about them but I don't think Xiaomi are the worst, especially if you stick to reliable roms

which would you recommend on the look out for my sister who is not tech savvy at all. She's got a Samsung and while the idea of a cheaper phone appeals to her I'm afraid the reality of it might be a different story

Max spend 140

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

For those people who doubts about Xiaomi I can tell you I'm not one of them.
    I have a house full of Xiaomi gadgets and love everyone of them.
    As for phones, I've being using the Redmi Note 2 Global Rom on MIUI 8 atm for over the last two years and it is still going strong. Going to upgrade to the Mi 5s Plus soon - just keeping an eye out for it to drop a little in price. My wife has been on the Mi 5S since January, MIUI 8 too I think.
    That's it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

iba wrote: »
    As for phones, I've being using the Redmi Note 2 Global Rom on MIUI 8 atm for over the last two years and it is still going strong. Going to upgrade to the Mi 5s Plus soon - just keeping an eye out for it to drop a little in price. My wife has been on the Mi 5S since January, MIUI 8 too I think.

Was going to buy a note 4 red mi from geekbuying for a friend in Canada, any idea of duty due if stopped.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My Bluboo S1 was due today. Got hit with €33 customs. DHL said it would be out by end of the day, so hung around. No sign of it. Guess it'll be tomorrow.

Took 24 hours to get from Hong Kong to Dublin. Has taken 36 hours to try get from Sandyford to Carrickmines! (About 4 kms!), and it still hasn't arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

horse7 wrote: »

Was going to buy  a note 4 red mi from geekbuying for a friend in Canada, any idea of duty due if stopped.
    Not really - maybe its like 7 Euro Post Office fee and then maybe another 20% tax. And then when your friend gets it in Canada he will probably get charged too.
    If you find a seller that sends via DHL you will have a better chance of avoiding fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Not really - maybe its like 7 Euro Post Office fee and then maybe another 20% tax. And then when your friend gets it in Canada he will probably get charged too.
    If you find a seller that sends via DHL you will have a better chance of avoiding fees

Was hoping to have it shipped directly to Canada from geekbuying using PayPal.But wondering what duty is payable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

DHL put pretty much everything through customs because they can charge extra.

Some sellers specifically avoid customs, not sure how, but DHL is not a catch all for customs avoidance. The opposite if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Received both my Xiaomi note 4 and 4x within 7days from Goldway on AliExpress.
    He's very quick to dispatch and I'd definitely recommend.

Love the phone so far. My last Xiaomi was a note 2.
    This is a lot slimmer and very responsive.
    I tried the nova launcher but I'm going to stick with miui for now. Can be tricky to find certain settings at times. Also the menu button brings up previous screens instead of the menu.

Also the phone rebooted when the alarm came on this morning. Hoping that's a once off.
    Otherwise I'm delighted with the phone. Should last a long time.

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Received both my Xiaomi note 4 and 4x within 7days from Goldway on AliExpress.
    He's very quick to dispatch and I'd definitely recommend.

Love the phone so far. My last Xiaomi was a note 2.
    This is a lot slimmer and very responsive.
    I tried the nova launcher but I'm going to stick with miui for now. Can be tricky to find certain settings at times. Also the menu button brings up previous screens instead of the menu.

Also the phone rebooted when the alarm came on this morning. Hoping that's a once off.
    Otherwise I'm delighted with the phone. Should last a long time.

We're they dhl express

I'm trying to confirm there's no customs on dhl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

only no customs on euro express option, if they still have it.

normal DHL is almost definite customs.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    only no customs on euro express option, if they still have it.

normal DHL is almost definite customs.

I've bought from them before with the express option

Unfortunately it's no longer clear on the shop whether it's customs free or not.

There is 'express' written in the dhl logo but I notice other Ali sellers also have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've bought from them before when they had 2 dhl options

Unfortunately it's no longer clear on the shop which it is.

There is 'express' written in the dhl logo but I notice other Ali sellers also have this.

Can't you message the seller and ask?

Can't you message the seller and ask?

just checked my inbox

"Hello, DHL shipping to Ireland doesn't need to pay tax, no custom duty.
    thanks"

i presume that means all fones then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks, the missus has had a Samsung Galaxy S4 for the last few years and it's about time it was replaced. She doesn't need a 'headline' phone as her use is basic enough. Once Facebook works, camera is relatively decent and internet speeds are alright she'll be happy enough. I was thinking about a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4...... though the screen might be a little large.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

We're they dhl express

I'm trying to confirm there's no customs on dhl

Yes it was DHL. I knew it was customs free as it says so below the description of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

Folks, the missus has had a Samsung Galaxy S4 for the last few years and it's about time it was replaced. She doesn't need a 'headline' phone as her use is basic enough. Once Facebook works, camera is relatively decent and internet speeds are alright she'll be happy enough. I was thinking about a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4...... though the screen might be a little large.

Any recommendations?
    Hey Absolutely go with the redmi Note 4 Global edition 3gb ram.

Has everything you need and is a really nice bit of kit, I'm awaiting my third, bought one for me and two for other people since then as they liked it so much.

Get a case with it when getting it, they are only a couple euro.

I hear hong kong goldway on alixpress are great for avoiding customs , I got two through but got stung on my last one (41 euro) but that was just with whoever I got on banggood.com

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371991560549

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-Premium-Protection-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-/221053541350?hash=item3377d15be6:g:AKYAAOSwdGFYt~VO

there seems to be 2 different styles of screen protectors for the redmi 4

haven't came across this before ,which is the best type
    Which is the right one for the redmi 4 or does it matter

Hey - can I ask is this the correct link for HongKong goldway for the Redmi note 4, and do I just select standard shipping? ie NOT DHL

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Special-Edition-Mobile-Phone-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-MTK-Helio-X20/311331_32766122092.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.6598db6cMpdxZJ

My options are:
    Shipping Company Estimated Delivery Time Shipping Cost Tracking Information
    AliExpress Standard Shipping 17-25 days € 2,73 Available
    DHL 7-15 days € 19,87 Available

I'm torn between a different seller and a cheaper price but the risk of customs, or this one slightly higher and less risk of customs.

I know the customs thing can be hit or miss. But if there's a higher chance of avoiding it by paying slightly extra to begin with I'd go for it

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

ImARebel wrote: »
    Hey - can I ask is this the correct link for HongKong goldway for the Redmi note 4, and do I just select standard shipping? ie NOT DHL

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Special-Edition-Mobile-Phone-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-MTK-Helio-X20/311331_32766122092.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.6598db6cMpdxZJ

My options are:
    Shipping Company Estimated Delivery Time Shipping Cost Tracking Information
    AliExpress Standard Shipping 17-25 days € 2,73 Available
    DHL 7-15 days € 19,87 Available

I'm torn between a different seller and a cheaper price but the risk of customs, or this one slightly higher and less risk of customs.

I know the customs thing can be hit or miss. But if there's a higher chance of avoiding it by paying slightly extra to begin with I'd go for it

Cheers!

As mentioned 3 posts back the DHL option on Goldway is customs free but at a cost 0f 20 euro but its the only option that guarantees no VAT/customs payment.

• Advertisement

Sorry I got mixed up when it said DHL express and the choices were DHL or AliExpress, I got a bit confused. Apologies but thanks for pointing it out to me :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement