Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

NATLOR wrote: »
    Thats the cheapest price according to Kimovil
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-ulefone-t1

Was waiting for a global version of the xiaomi 5X but this is tempting

I cant seem to find a bad word about it, the processor is a Mediatek in disguise but apparently GPS performance is near perfect, no NFC but I never use that anyway, seems like a great way to wait until the next gen AMOLED screens are more common if you need a phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Thargor wrote: »
    I cant seem to find a bad word about it, the processor is a Mediatek in disguise but apparently GPS performance is near perfect, no NFC but I never use that anyway, seems like a great way to wait until the next gen AMOLED screens are more common if you need a phone now.

http://www.awaqa.com/review-ulefone-t1-specs-buy-price/

This is the most in depth/balanced review I could find. Might wait a while to get some user reviews as its only just launched

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭adaephon

keano25 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Any phones out there as good as if not better than the Samsung s7 for half the price?

Dropped mine and can't stomach forking out a fortune or getting into contracts

Dude you cant go wrong with the redmi nite 4 glibal edition. If you can get it in the 4gig ram and 64gb rom you're laughing. I have the 3/32 and love it. 180 blips. Bang fir buck is good. Snapdragon processor and band 20. But only thingnit doesnt have is nfc. It does hiwever have irblast so if you are missing any remotes in the house it has inbuilt Mi Remote app that works well as replacement

(i fixed a 60inch lg for 3 quid that a xo-worker was throwing iut with no remote so i love it more now. 60 inch hd tv and a fone for 163eur isnt bad ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I got the Redmi Note 4 on geekbuying (global version) and if you google geekbuying discount codes, you can get it for 157 delivered from the Italian Warehouse (grey one, 3/32) after applying the best of them.

Not bad.

Although having had a Samsung Note 4 and playing around with this last night, I think I want a screen > 5.5 but other than that it's a lovely phone. Really nice weight in it when holding it.

no complaints especially for what I paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Picked up the Oukitel U11 plus on gearbest for the daughter. €125 including post and packaging. Really good spec for the price.

OUKITEL U11 Plus 4G Phablet Android 7.0 5.7 inch MTK6750T Octa Core 1.5GHz 4GB RAM 64GB ROM 13.0MP Front Camera Fingerprint Scanner
    Display: 5.7 inch, 1920 x 1080 Pixel FHD AUO screen
    CPU: MTK6750T Octa Core ( A53 x 4 1.5GHz + A53 x 4 1.0GHz )
    System: Android 7.0
    RAM + ROM: 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM
    Camera: 13.0MP ( SW 16.0MP ) front camera + 13.0MP ( SW 16.0MP ) back camera
    Battery Capacity (mAh): 3700mAh

Network:
    2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz
    4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz

The brother and his wife both bought them as well a couple of weeks ago and are so far delighted with their purchases.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_676540.html?wid=11&currency=EUR&vip=764180&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImcruh67g1QIVSbXtCh0H0QyqEAUYASABEgJUy_D_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Picked up the Oukitel U11 plus on gearbest for the daughter. €125 including post and packaging. Really good spec for the price.

OUKITEL U11 Plus 4G Phablet Android 7.0 5.7 inch MTK6750T Octa Core 1.5GHz 4GB RAM 64GB ROM 13.0MP Front Camera Fingerprint Scanner
    Display: 5.7 inch, 1920 x 1080 Pixel FHD AUO screen
    CPU: MTK6750T Octa Core ( A53 x 4 1.5GHz + A53 x 4 1.0GHz )
    System: Android 7.0
    RAM + ROM: 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM
    Camera: 13.0MP ( SW 16.0MP ) front camera + 13.0MP ( SW 16.0MP ) back camera
    Battery Capacity (mAh): 3700mAh

Network:
    2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz
    4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz

The brother and his wife both bought them as well a couple of weeks ago and are so far delighted with their purchases.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_676540.html?wid=11&currency=EUR&vip=764180&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImcruh67g1QIVSbXtCh0H0QyqEAUYASABEgJUy_D_BwE

Thats a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

dedaw wrote:
    Running straight out of the box?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭corkie

Dec4 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Redmi 4X might update to Android 7?
    Dec4 wrote: »
    This is why I love Boards...!
    Thanks again to fixxxer and corkie and lets hope the updates are not tooo far away...

Available Early: -

[Others] [Advanced Users Only] Download MIUI 9 China Developer ROM for 13 Devices Now

Note: Please back up your important data before flashing.

Supported Devices:
    Mi MIX/Mi Note 2/Mi 5/Mi 5s/Mi 5s Plus/Mi 5c/Mi Max 2/Mi Max/Mi 4S/Mi 4c/Mi Note Pro/Redmi 4X

Xiaomi.eu roms to be made available later today! Edit: - Already available for download!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Hi Guys looking for some help.
    I ordered a phone off Gearbest at end of June, hadn't arrived after 2 weeks so contacted them and they sent on a tracking number which showed phones passage to arriving in Ireland but no further. Went to Post office and they said Customs probably had it. Contacted customs last week to see what the story was and they say they dont have it.

Have anybody else bought off Gearbest, how do they usually deliver. Is it standard post or is it by courier, DPD, DHL?? According to tracking the parcel was sent to Ireland but nobody seems to know where it is.

All my own fault for ordering off Gearbest, hadn't done my research and see now that lots of people have had bad experiences with them.

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

clouter wrote: »
    I ordered a phone off Gearbest at end of June, hadn't arrived after 2 weeks so contacted them and they sent on a tracking number which showed phones passage to arriving in Ireland but no further. Went to Post office and they said Customs probably had it. Contacted customs last week to see what the story was and they say they dont have it.

Have anybody else bought off Gearbest, how do they usually deliver. Is it standard post or is it by courier, DPD, DHL?? According to tracking the parcel was sent to Ireland but nobody seems to know where it is.

All my own fault for ordering off Gearbest, hadn't done my research and see now that lots of people have had bad experiences with them.

Thanks for any advice.

Three words,anyone except gearbest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

sydthebeat wrote: »
    is lack of 802.11ac wifi an issue with a phone?

If your home router is dual band ie 2,4 and 5ghz ssids , a non ac phone prob wont connect to the faster 5ghz ssid

If you dont have a dual band router no issue

What that means is
    ie you have 240mb broadband , in general you only get 240mb wired , ie a pc or laptop with a cat5/6 network cable directly attached to router

If you are using a dual band router in your house
    802.11ac devices would typically would connect to at 100 to 200mb wirelessly
    non ac , would connect at 30-40 mb wirelessly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Thanks for any advice.

They have a forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

horse7 wrote: »
    Three words,anyone except gearbest.

I'm aware of the issues with gearbest (have had problems myself) but in this instance if the phone can be tracked to Ireland then its hardly gearbest's fault?

OP I have ordered a few things from Chinese sites this year and found delivery to be painfully slow, worst was 3 months and according to my postman stuff can be left sitting for weeks before being sent out so wouldn't give up hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks for any advice.

If you have to ask the local agent will be AnPost. Previously there have been issues with CN mail not being processed once off the plane but that all cleared up 2mo ago and things have been fast since then. Hopefully it hasnt been pilfered as packets usually aren't scanned once they land here.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Hi anyone know best place to get a cover for my xioami note 4 just a standard hard back case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Maze Alpha looks interesting.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/maze-alpha
    But, it seems there's security cert issues suing banking apps from working, also Netflix doesn't appear to work either.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But, it seems there's security cert issues suing banking apps from working, also Netflix doesn't appear to work either.
    Any thoughts?

Decent specced phone.
    There will be no custom ROMs as Maze are not releasing the kernel to allow for custom development if that's your thing. You might still get manufacturer updates but that could be few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

steven087 wrote: »
    Hi anyone know best place to get a cover for my xioami note 4 just a standard hard back case
    amazon

Any thoughts?

Not supporting play store security/widevine is gonna cripple it for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Got my note 4x

I noticed the screen protector is slightly narrower than the glass

The sellers all mention something about the size and 2D phones,what's that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Got my note 4x

I noticed the screen protector is slightly narrower than the glass

The sellers all mention something about the size and 2D phones,what's that about?

I think its to do with the slight curve of the glass,as the protector will only stick to a flat screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

What's the best options for security on these devices re; malware or virus

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

GBX wrote: »
    Decent specced phone.
    There will be no custom ROMs as Maze are not releasing the kernel to allow for custom development if that's your thing. You might still get manufacturer updates but that could be few and far between.

Got my maze alpha yesterday, a couple of otas already beautiful phone, works straight out of the box, no bloatware on it, dedicated owners group on facebook, maze fix any bugs on the phone with otas faster than any other company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

cranefly wrote: »
    Got my maze alpha yesterday, a couple of otas already beautiful phone, works straight out of the box, no bloatware on it, dedicated owners group on facebook, maze fix any bugs on the phone with otas faster than any other company.

That's good to hear!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

cranefly wrote: »

Can you tell me how banking apps and Netflix work on it?
    Thanks
    I'll be buying one, depending on the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Can you tell me how banking apps and Netflix work on it?
    Thanks
    I'll be buying one, depending on the answer!

I do not do banking on the phone, i just downloaded the netflix app from the playstore, and everything looks ok, i cancelled my netflix last month, so can not say for sure if it will play, i know some owners said this alpha had trouble with netflix, but even more said it was fine, you will probably find more definitive answers on facebooks maze international buyers page i think it is, hope this helps in your decision, but i find the phone stunning, the six inch screen is crystal clear, it is a pity their are not any decent leather cases for it, aliexpress only has the magic sticker kind, and they have a decent looking hard plastic back cover, which i ordered, as well as one of the magic sticker cases, you really need some type of case for this phone, as sweaty hands would not be a good idea with this phone, as the back is glass as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They published the new stock rom a few days ago. I would take that as a good sign for any issues that were known, although it is early days.
    Netflix does not bother me, i watch very little. Banking had me looking the other day also.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/rom-maze-alpha-v0520170816-t3659190

I had a read of this and looked up the phones mentioned in it. The phones are compared on Kimovil here. There are so many reviews almost saying polar opposites of each other. But i think none of those phones are for me. I keep going back to the new Yotaphone 3, although i believe it is to be around €300. So regarding the price it is not really comparable, but the battery and e-ink screen are the clincher for me. My understanding is also that it is due to be released in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Any thoughts on the Oneplus 5 or am I in the wrong thread?

Has its own thread, not considered a normal chinsese brand with zero aftersales support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You might get some criticism or other suggestions if that's what you're after

If you're after general notions about the OP5 or confirmation its a good buy, the other thread is probably better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement