Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

cranefly wrote: »
    Got my maze alpha yesterday, a couple of otas already beautiful phone, works straight out of the box, no bloatware on it, dedicated owners group on facebook, maze fix any bugs on the phone with otas faster than any other company.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with that. Please post back here to let us know about performance - particularly battery life. I only recently came across the phone but never heard of the company. 6 screen is appealing but I'm used to the battery life of a Ulefone Power and Oukitel K6000 pro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

cranefly wrote: »
    Got my maze alpha yesterday, a couple of otas already beautiful phone, works straight out of the box, no bloatware on it, dedicated owners group on facebook, maze fix any bugs on the phone with otas faster than any other company.

Pulled the trigger on this myself.
    Ordered from Tomtop, no idea what they are like except they appear to have it in stock.
    Worked out at €175 with shipping and a case included.
    Fingers crossed all will be well.
    I had an Elephone a few years ago and it was a wretched phone, GPS all over the place, terrible build quality.
    In those two aspects the Maze Alpha seems fine.
    We shall see.
    At least it's different from the iPhone/S8/standard smart slab everyone else is using.
    I went for expedited shipping too, so I guess I'm going to get nailed for duty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger on this myself.
    Ordered from Tomtop, no idea what they are like except they appear to have it in stock.
    Worked out at €175 with shipping and a case included.
    Fingers crossed all will be well.
    I had an Elephone a few years ago and it was a wretched phone, GPS all over the place, terrible build quality.
    In those two aspects the Maze Alpha seems fine.
    We shall see.
    At least it's different from the iPhone/S8/standard smart slab everyone else is using.
    I went for expedited shipping too, so I guess I'm going to get nailed for duty :(

Be curious to see how you get on with this. Mediatek used to have GPS issues, wondering if the Helios 20/25 have cleared that up. If they have looks like a great bargain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

fixxxer wrote: »
    Be curious to see how you get on with this. Mediatek used to have GPS issues, wondering if the Helios 20/25 have cleared that up. If they have looks like a great bargain.

What I see in the handful reviews and comments is that the GPS is pretty solid.
    Hopefully that's not just from the position of customers in Asia but reflected in local European conditions.

My biggest concerns are quality assurance in it's manufacture, so that things don't just randomly decide to work no more, the stability of the OS and that it gets security updates so I can use apps that need that sort of thing.
    Reports suggest it's well made, great screen, stable OS and it's getting the updates.

No app tray as standard means I'll use Nova with it, but I rate that second only to the standard vanilla Android launcher.
    I'm using Android 8.0 via beta on a borrowed 6p so I'm going to miss that, but Nova should give me much of those advantages built in.

This seems to be the most detailed of the reviews Link with only the camera being a disappointment, which I don't mind.
    Plus, the camera seems to be getting updates to improve it's performance, so it should be a feature that moves more towards mainstream quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I am back looking at the Maze :o i can not make up my mind.

Tomtop ship through Switzerland and Spain. Sometimes items come straight from their Spanish Warehouse and skip duty. I do not know if they do it on purpose, or if it is just a more convenient way of shipping for them, depending on the amount of orders and where they are going etc.
    Swiss post items can get stopped as they are not in the EU.
    Less often, the seller on Tomtop can ship direct to the UK, afaik they all get stopped now (whereas they did not a month+ ago).

Fingers crossed it goes to the Spanish warehouse first :) .

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    I am back looking at the Maze :o i can not make up my mind.

Tomtop ship through Switzerland and Spain. Sometimes items come straight from their Spanish Warehouse and skip duty. I do not know if they do it on purpose, or if it is just a more convenient way of shipping for them, depending on the amount of orders and where they are going etc.
    Swiss post items can get stopped as they are not in the EU.
    Less often, the seller on Tomtop can ship direct to the UK, afaik they all get stopped now (whereas they did not a month+ ago).

Fingers crossed it goes to the Spanish warehouse first :) .

I'm oddly hopeful about this phone.
    I know, I know that it's likely not to last the 12 months I expect, but in general Chinese phones appear to be only be getting better in terms of quality.
    The bezel less nature, well mostly bezel less, is the USP on this one, and it certainly makes more sense that the mental Xiaomi Mix that costs savage money.
    I use my phone for the very occasional game, mostly texts, FB and browsing, as well as voice calls, which this phone does.
    Also, I had the Nexus 6 before now so I'm comfortable with a larger screened phone.

Just wish it'd get here now!

I look forward to hearing what your first impressions are, and how the shipping went for you. - Hoping you will update. :)

I look forward to hearing what your first impressions are, and how the shipping went for you. - Hoping you will update. :)

If you see it on Adverts things didn't go well!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

My maze alpha seems fine, battery life is pretty good, i can get 2 days easily, but i am not a heavy user, mostly you tube videos calls, texts and mostly browsing the web, it is not as heavy as i thought it would be, super bright screen, i got mine for 164 euro that included postage and insurance, sent on the slow boat so to speak, an post sent it to customs, so had a charge of 37 euro plus 10 euro handling charge, paid to the postman at the door

I am really pleased with how it feels in the hand, and it does look fabulous compared to run of the mill phones you get now a days, i got mine from gearbest, because it was the presale i was waiting nearly two months, it should be a bit faster now if they have the stock. I got a leagoo m8 pro before as well and had no problem with gearbest. I wish their was a better selection of leather cases for the alpha, their is only the magic sticker kind, which i do not really like that much, but a good case is a must in my opinion, with a glass back it could get fairly slippy in the right conditions.

It is currently €186 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074XDYLGK/
    Dispatched from China so will take the same length of time, but will not have customs charges.

They also sell cases - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Case-Maze-Alpha-Cover-DK-BS/dp/B07382V5B7/

Although i do not think i would like any of the ones on offer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Picked up the Oukitel U11 plus on gearbest for the daughter. €125 including post and packaging. Really good spec for the price.

OUKITEL U11 Plus 4G Phablet Android 7.0 5.7 inch MTK6750T Octa Core 1.5GHz 4GB RAM 64GB ROM 13.0MP Front Camera Fingerprint Scanner
    Display: 5.7 inch, 1920 x 1080 Pixel FHD AUO screen
    CPU: MTK6750T Octa Core ( A53 x 4 1.5GHz + A53 x 4 1.0GHz )
    System: Android 7.0
    RAM + ROM: 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM
    Camera: 13.0MP ( SW 16.0MP ) front camera + 13.0MP ( SW 16.0MP ) back camera
    Battery Capacity (mAh): 3700mAh

Network:
    2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 900/2100MHz
    4G: FDD-LTE 800/900/1800/2100/2600MHz

The brother and his wife both bought them as well a couple of weeks ago and are so far delighted with their purchases.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_676540.html?wid=11&currency=EUR&vip=764180&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImcruh67g1QIVSbXtCh0H0QyqEAUYASABEgJUy_D_BwE

I got a k6000 plus and a great phone. Got it on lightning deal fulfilled by Amazon. Arrived in 2 days. It has its issues but for price, it screams quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Maze alpha. Amazon.de in germany have it for 196 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Really interested in picking up the Ulefone T1. The best price at the moment is Banggood.com.

If ordering from them would one use standard delivery or pay the extra for the EMS service?

sgarvan wrote: »
    Really interested in picking up the Ulefone T1. The best price at the moment is Banggood.com.

If ordering from them would one use standard delivery or pay the extra for the EMS service?

EMS would add €18.35 to the overall price, and would almost definitely get stopped at customs.
    Which would be roughly €44, and whatever EMS charge for handling, maybe another €10 - €15.

So, if you do use EMS, expect to pay and extra (roughly) €55 at the door when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Dad just killed his Honor 5C by drowning it :eek:

Looking for a recommendation for something similar that I don't have to wait 4 weeks on to arrive.

I was thinking of getting him a Redmi 4 Prime/Pro, girlfriend has one and it looks to be a decent reliable phone. He doesn't need the latest fastest phone and I think this will be sufficient. 32gb with sd card should be plenty also.

He was used to a motorola before the Honor, which I loaded Nova launcher onto. I like the idea of the Redmi 4 Prime with Lineage (runs great on my mi5 since the first build), I know he won't like MIUI without LOS or at the very least Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I'd definitely recommend the Redmi note 4 for him. My sis isn't at all tech savvy and loves the Redmi Note 4 I got her. And finds it very easy to use.

I ordered from geekbuying italian warehouse and it was here in days, no waiting and no customs.

Hope that helps

ImARebel wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend the Redmi note 4 for him. My sis isn't at all tech savvy and loves the Redmi Note 4 I got her. And finds it very easy to use.

I ordered from geekbuying italian warehouse and it was here in days, no waiting and no customs.

Hope that helps

It's too big for him, trying to stay around 5". It's a pity the mi5 isn't a bit cheap or comes with an sd card cause it's about the same size as the 5" Redmi

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Ah - I didn't click that was your requirement - sorry!

ImARebel wrote: »
    Ah - I didn't click that was your requirement - sorry!

No problem!

Just looking and there is also a Redmi 4X with a Snapdragon 435, is this better than the 425 in the Redmi 4 Prime?

72 hours in and still no sign of my Maze Alpha being shipped.....
    You'd swear it was on the other side of the w.... oh wait.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

EMS would add €18.35 to the overall price, and would almost definitely get stopped at customs.
    Which would be roughly €44, and whatever EMS charge for handling, maybe another €10 - €15.

So, if you do use EMS, expect to pay and extra (roughly) €55 at the door when it arrives.
    Cheers. I was more thinking about EMS for the speed of delivery. If there is more a chance of being stopped by customs that regular post then I may go with the free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

72 hours in and still no sign of my Maze Alpha being shipped.....
    You'd swear it was on the other side of the w.... oh wait.....

What is their shipping times? Some state 3-5 days.

sgarvan wrote: »
    Cheers. I was more thinking about EMS for the speed of delivery. If there is more a chance of being stopped by customs that regular post then I may go with the free shipping.

It may still get stopped, but is less likely (although lately they have stopped a lot of my items :( )
    If it does get stopped on normal mail, i will be roughly €39.50 VAT + An Post handling (€10?) = €49.50 at the door.

EMS route works out at roughly €25 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

I've been reading lots of posts/forums on this error with my Xiaomi Mi5 but it hasnt helped me.
    Two key pieces of info before I start:
    1. I have the MIUI 8 global ROM already
    2. I already have all the google apps installed, they were installed when I bought it.

The issue is I can't get into the play store, RH-01 error.
    I cleared the data and cache in the play store settings and the google services framework (I was trying to resolve a different issue)
    and now I cant get into the play store anymore.

any suggestions?

Framed10 wrote: »
    I've been reading lots of posts/forums on this error with my Xiaomi Mi5 but it hasnt helped me.
    2. I already have all the google apps installed, they were installed when I bought it.

I cleared the data and cache in the play store settings and the google services framework (I was trying to resolve a different issue)

any suggestions?

Install one of the Roms from MIUI.en then reinstall Google Play/Services through the MIUI App store? There's an app that helps you with it there.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Install one of the Roms from MIUI.en then reinstall Google Play/Services through the MIUI App store? There's an app that helps you with it there.

Thanks, would installing a new ROM essentially wipe the phone??

Is there anyway of just deleting the play app and reinstalling just that only?
    or are all the google apps linked together?

Thanks, would installing a new ROM essentially wipe the phone??

Is there anyway of just deleting the play app and reinstalling just that only?
    or are all the google apps linked together?

The best way to install a new ROM is always to wipe anyway. You could check on XDA for a play store .APK There are layers to it now though so I'm note sure if its as simple as that any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Guys looking for a recommendation around the 150mark. Coming from an xperia x that has been nothing but trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

any suggestions?

I would reflash GApps before doing anything else

https://xiaomininja.com/2016/09/16/the-complete-guide-to-installing-google-apps-gaaps-on-miui-8/

• Advertisement

Thanks, Ill have a look.
    BTW the Click here to download the installer. link isn't working, getting an error.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement