Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Any guides handy for putting Twrp on Redmi Note 4x?

Do you have to ask Xiaomi for bootloader unlock?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

Kind of interested in the Maze Alpha too. Just wondering tho, after reading some of the earlier posts complaining about the Mediatek processor, have they come on a lot since then & is the Helio P25 (MTK6757) up to scratch now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Framed10 wrote: »
    Thanks, Ill have a look.
    BTW the Click here to download the installer. link isn't working, getting an error.

Works for me, does it ask you to sign into a Mi Account first? I had to be signed in as its a download from Xiaomi.
    Any guides handy for putting Twrp on Redmi Note 4x?

Do you have to ask Xiaomi for bootloader unlock?

Thanks

I literally googled "twrp redmi note 4x" and this was on the first page of results, seriously?

https://xiaomifirmware.com/guides-and-tips/install-twrp-via-fastboot-redmi-note-4x/

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Works for me, does it ask you to sign into a Mi Account first? I had to be signed in as its a download from Xiaomi.[/url]

When I click on the direct link, just ERROR appears on the screen. Ive tried in 2 different browsers.
    I am already logged in to the http://en.miui.com/ on another tab as I was reading it for help.
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

I've been reading lots of posts/forums on this error with my Xiaomi Mi5 but it hasnt helped me.
    Two key pieces of info before I start:
    1. I have the MIUI 8 global ROM already
    2. I already have all the google apps installed, they were installed when I bought it.

The issue is I can't get into the play store, RH-01 error.
    I cleared the data and cache in the play store settings and the google services framework (I was trying to resolve a different issue)
    and now I cant get into the play store anymore.

any suggestions?
    fixxxer wrote: »
    The best way to install a new ROM is always to wipe anyway. You could check on XDA for a play store .APK There are layers to it now though so I'm note sure if its as simple as that any more.

Hi I finally resolved the Play Store issue, it was the Gmail address that was with used the app.
    Basically I've had a Gmail work account linked to the play store all the time and I tried a private Gmail address and hey presto Play Store now working again.
    No need to reinstall/flash google apps etc.

And then to solve the MAIN problem with the Mi 5, the microphone problem.
    From what Ive read its common.
    Basically I had a sound aux cable plugged into phone in car and after unplugging it no one could hear me on phone when I rang or they rang me (except if you turn on the loudspeaker ��)
    Apparently the phone still thinks cable is plugged in.

I couldnt resolve it. Only way was to download the Sound About app to set the phone to not confuse speaker with headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Hi I finally resolved the Play Store issue, it was the Gmail address that was with used the app.
    Basically I've had a Gmail work account linked to the play store all the time and I tried a private Gmail address and hey presto Play Store now working again.
    No need to reinstall/flash google apps etc.

And then to solve the MAIN problem with the Mi 5, the microphone problem.
    From what Ive read its common.
    Basically I had a sound aux cable plugged into phone in car and after unplugging it no one could hear me on phone when I rang or they rang me (except if you turn on the loudspeaker ��)
    Apparently the phone still thinks cable is plugged in.

I couldnt resolve it. Only way was to download the Sound About app to set the phone to not confuse speaker with headphones.

Interesting issue, wouldn't have thought the Gmail account was the problem. Cheers for letting us know the resolution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maze Alpha has just shipped from Tomtop, hopefully it'll be two weeks or less and the tax man will miss it...

Edit: Seems it's shipping out of the Netherlands, so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maze Alpha has just shipped from Tomtop, hopefully it'll be two weeks or less and the tax man will miss it...

Edit: Seems it's shipping out of the Netherlands, so fingers crossed

hope you are right, mine shipped from the netherlands also with gearbest, still got caught for vat and handling charge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

cranefly wrote: »
    hope you are right, mine shipped from the netherlands also with gearbest, still got caught for vat and handling charge.

Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Lads got quoted 30 euro from I.T spot in Tallaght to replace my Umi Super screen (I bought the parts and waved responsibility) Ill keep you updated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I thought Tomtop had stopped shipping via NL after a lot of their items went missing and they had to replace many of them.

They had a big banner on their blog a few months back stating something like "Please bare with us, there may be delays on some items while we fix our new shipping methods" and linked to the problems.

They must have sorted it all out. As it was, the new shipping methods were much faster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

cranefly wrote: »

You should appeal that as still in Europe. There is no way you should get charged.

Edit: wondering if they are pulling a fast one and getting a load of NL courier stickers, taking them back to China and posting them from there?

T-Bird wrote: »
    You should appeal that as still in Europe. There is no way you should get charged.

I think he meant via - not from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

That's what I cannot ubderstand. Why would anyone be liable for duties etc when purchasing from anither EU country?

Donal55 wrote: »
    That's what I cannot ubderstand. Why would anyone be liable for duties etc when purchasing from anither EU country?

did he purchase it from EU?
    Or from China via NL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Suckit wrote: »
    Donal55 wrote: »

did he purchase it from EU?
    Or from China via NL?
    Actually that makes more sense. A lot of their whe European sites also show product from hk or chi. They say shipping from... One could easily be caught out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads I need to get a USB adaptor so my USB cable will work on my xioami mi max 2.

Are they all the same or are some better than others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

smilerf wrote: »
    Lads I need to get a USB adaptor so my USB cable will work on my xioami mi max 2.

Are they all the same or are some better than others

Think they're all the same m8, I got 5 from China and they all work fine,

I presume you're talking about the usb-c adaptors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

wiz569 wrote: »
    Think they're all the same m8, I got 5 from China and they all work fine,

I presume you're talking about the usb-c adaptors.
    yeah thanks for that

Some of those adaptors can be ropey.
    I had one that worked for a time before deciding to try and burn a hole in my car upholstery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

I had one that worked for a time before deciding to try and burn a hole in my car upholstery.

Your supposed to charge your phone with them not your seat :D

wiz569 wrote: »
    Your supposed to charge your phone with them not your seat :D

So that's where I've been going wrong!

But cheap usb c adaptors are hazardous at times.
    Just be careful what you plug them into.

I've switched to wsken magnetic leads for micro usb devices

Is magnetic available for usb-c or is there too much currently draw

Edit: wondering if they are pulling a fast one and getting a load of NL courier stickers, taking them back to China and posting them from there?

With gearbest and banggood unless it says the item is from their eu store, they mainly ship from china via netherlands post, as i suppose most of their items will enter europe that way, then it is up to the destination country to charge vat or not, usually if the item is worth 22 euro or less, an post does not pass it on to customs, as revenue dont charge vat for those items, but phones they know they cost a fair bit more, so i suppose they automatically send them to customs, i have had small items delivered without vat, phone cases, razor blades, and even a replacement android box that was worth 60 euro, that came without having to pay vat, whether they missed it or not i do not know, or they knew it was a replacement product, as i paid vat for the defective one.

Well, I'll find out in a week or so.
    I'm ready to get the bill, so if I don't it's a bonus.

Either way, I'm quite positive about the phone.

That said, I've had reason to have to return two phones out of the last 6 I've owned and that's going to be more difficult with this handset, should something be at fault.

The maze alpha is a really nice phone, you get two tempered screen protectors as well, i was hoping the second one was for the back of the phone, as that is made of glass as well, but they are both for the front, the fast charger is not that fast, i find it takes as long as phones with out a quick charge facility, i got a leather case delivered this morning from aliexpress, not the kind of case i wanted, but having a case is a must for this phone, one drop and the back can crack, one or two on facebooks users page had this happen, luckily aliexpress do sell a alpha glass back replacement for 17 euro, if the worst should happen, the leather case i got has the magic sticker that glues the back of the phone in, i have to admit it seems to work fairly well, and the case seems good quality, so i will keep it in the case until maze get some decent cases with gel type moulding that the phone fits into, like most other mobile companys seem to have for their phones.

These adaptors can be trusted -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103788496&postcount=151

Do the new xiaomis come with a recovery for backing up and restoring the phone?

or do i have to go the twrp route?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭corkie

Do the new xiaomis come with a recovery for backing up and restoring the phone?

or do i have to go the twrp route?

You more than likely will need to unlock bootloader and use TWRP!

Although there is a recovery partition on the device, you would need Mi PC Suite to make use of it. But that has not been update to work with newer roms (Pre Marshmallow where the last to work with it.)

MIUI has built in app for backing up system settings, account info and apps!

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    You more than likely will need to unlock bootloader and use TWRP!

Although there is a recovery partition on the device, you would need Mi PC Suite to make use of it. But that has not been update to work with newer roms (Pre Marshmallow where the last to work with it.)

MIUI has built in app for backing up system settings, account info and apps!

Thanks
    I've a new redmi note 4x

Will I need to apply to xiaomi to get the bootloader unlocked or is it done manually

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement