Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks
    I've a new redmi note 4x

Will I need to apply to xiaomi to get the bootloader unlocked or is it done manually

You need to apply, instructions here: - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/advanced/bootloader

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Thanks
    I've a new redmi note 4x

Will I need to apply to xiaomi to get the bootloader unlocked or is it done manually

You're going to have to go down the application route. If my recent experience is anything to go by you'll have to use a VPN to get approved by Xiaomi to unlock the bootloader.

I followed the steps and got the the verification code via text message. However, I kept getting an error message when I tried to enter it. The erorr message was in Chinese, it said something about number of IP request exceeded. After looking around I found this post which basically suggested you needed to use a Chinese VPN.

Once I did it through the VPN authorisation was almost instantaneous (no text but running the app I had the option to unlock the bootloader). I did get stuck but that was because the phone wasnt registered with the account for 72 hours.... So now I wait.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Suckit wrote: »

That's just links to stores m8, anyway I got 5 from wish and they are fine,I would be more worried about dodgy cables tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

wiz569 wrote: »
    That's just links to stores m8, anyway I got 5 from wish and they are fine,I would be more worried about dodgy cables tbh

Yeah sorry, i meant the adaptors and cables in those stores. (Those make of cables and adaptors etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How are people finding ulefone phones in the sub 200 bracket? My experience isn't great.i got a ulefone armour for use on the sites. It's been about 3 months since I used it but as far as I remember is was a bit glitch and prone to slowness. I picked up a power 2 about 3 weeks ago and due to breaking her phone the missus is using it. It's very prone to freezing when using things like Facebook .it'll regularly stop responding and she wants rid. I'm wondering is this a trait of their devices or am I being unlucky. The annoying , or more to the point annoying to find a replacement for , charging cable for the armour has soured me a bit too. There's no issue getting long tipped micro usb cables , but the plastic on them is too big and they catch the side of the armour shell so won't go fully in. Is the slowness just down to mediatek cpus maybe?

In contrast , for similar money I'm using a redmi note 4x (3gb model) and it's been excellent. I'd have happily paid much more for it. So much so I've ordered her the 4gb model.

I came across the armour 2 and like the look of it but I'm reluctant to give them another go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Quick question to those who import phones from China on a regular basis, my device is tracking via UPS as Order Processed Waiting for UPS.
    I wonder, does that suggest the phone is coming from HK to the Netherlands where it'll continue its journey via UPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Quick question to those who import phones from China on a regular basis, my device is tracking via UPS as Order Processed Waiting for UPS.
    I wonder, does that suggest the phone is coming from HK to the Netherlands where it'll continue its journey via UPS?

So your tracking is not active yet?
    It often means that UPS will take the parcel when it gets to NL and tracking will begin.
    Sometimes tracking can begin from HK and then disappear. Many use different methods and it can be extremely different from one to the next (even within the same company.)
    Similar to Amazon fulfilled (or not fulfilled), some sellers will be responsible for the shipping themselves. They might try to avoid customs (not to be helpful, but because they can charge a higher price if successful and they will also avoid a ton of abuse from people that were not expecting VAT charges on top of the original price.).

So.... i am guessing that the phone will begin its tracking from NL once it reaches there.
    You could try tracking it using any of these, and sometimes, rarely they may give the tracking info that UPS have before it arrives in NL.

https://en.trackitonline.ru/
    https://www.17track.net/en
    https://www.aftership.com/courier/oneworldexpress (better than their site)
    https://www.packagetrackr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

How are people finding ulefone phones in the sub 200 bracket? My experience isn't great.i got a ulefone armour for use on the sites. It's been about 3 months since I used it but as far as I remember is was a bit glitch and prone to slowness. I picked up a power 2 about 3 weeks ago and due to breaking her phone the missus is using it. It's very prone to freezing when using things like Facebook .it'll regularly stop responding and she wants rid. I'm wondering is this a trait of their devices or am I being unlucky. The annoying , or more to the point annoying to find a replacement for , charging cable for the armour has soured me a bit too. There's no issue getting long tipped micro usb cables , but the plastic on them is too big and they catch the side of the armour shell so won't go fully in. Is the slowness just down to mediatek cpus maybe?

In contrast , for similar money I'm using a redmi note 4x (3gb model) and it's been excellent. I'd have happily paid much more for it. So much so I've ordered her the 4gb model.

I came across the armour 2 and like the look of it but I'm reluctant to give them another go.
    I wouldn't go near them again I had awful trouble with my power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Had an update over the weekend. Xiaomi pushed out Nougat on the redmi note 4x. Wasn't aware they were going to do that so sweet. I believe it's just the 4X for now, the 4 will be staying on Marshmallow.

I had a metal and loved it initially. I had no problems with apps freezing or it being slow. What I did experience was the battery lasting less than half a day. Going down 20-30% just sitting there doing nothing. Sporadic network connection, sometimes couldn't use it at all indoors. Probably would not buy another Ulefone.

• Advertisement

Had an update over the weekend. Xiaomi pushed out Nougat on the redmi note 4x. Wasn't aware they were going to do that so sweet. I believe it's just the 4X for now, the 4 will be staying on Marshmallow.

No sign of it on mine yet .

No sign of it on mine yet .

Well that's weird. I had two updates, one to MIUI first and then the Android 7 update. Have you updated to MIUI 8.5 yet? Or gone into About Phone in your settings and clicked on system updates? I got a screen prompt to update MIUI and when I installed that I got another screen prompt. Currently Android version is 7.0 NRD90M.

I'm on miui version 8.2.4.

I'd checked for updates on Thursday or Friday. Checked again there. Rebooted and tried again. Nothing yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Anyone got a Xiaomi MiPad? Looking for a half decent tablet and was wondering if these are any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Anyone got a Xiaomi MiPad? Looking for a half decent tablet and was wondering if these are any good?

I have the first gen one, and it was a pan of ****e. Worked really really well for a few months and then just stagnated. No source code meant it was years before any ROMs came out, even now CM12 reboots itself about 5 times a day for me.

MiUi didn't even work on it once the slowdown set it, it's pretty much unusable, constant crashes and reboots and no support from Xiaomi. They dropped it and released the second gen version as quickly as they could.

Not sure what Gen they're on now, but if you see a 1st Gen going cheap, its still too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have the first gen one, and it was a pan of ****e. Worked really really well for a few months and then just stagnated. No source code meant it was years before any ROMs came out, even now CM12 reboots itself about 5 times a day for me.

MiUi didn't even work on it once the slowdown set it, it's pretty much unusable, constant crashes and reboots and no support from Xiaomi. They dropped it and released the second gen version as quickly as they could.

Not sure what Gen they're on now, but if you see a 1st Gen going cheap, its still too much.

Sounds a lot like the original Nexus 7

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Looking to get myself a new phone and have spent a lot of time on Kimovil looking at specs etc.
    Is it fair to say there is nothing worthwhile now running Android south of 5" screen size (or 15cm height)?

The closest I've found is the Mi5 at 144.6mm. There is a Redmi 3s slightly shorter at 139mm, but its Antutu score is roughly 1/4 of the former?

I've also been looking on gsmarena and notice that there are a number of Motorola handsets in and around the same range - such as the G5.

There doesn't seem to be lot in it and TBH I'm baulking at buying a chinese handset. Can anyone give me a recommendation outside of these for a smallish Android handset with good performance and quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looking to get myself a new phone and have spent a lot of time on Kimovil looking at specs etc.
    Is it fair to say there is nothing worthwhile now running Android south of 5" screen size (or 15cm height)?

The closest I've found is the Mi5 at 144.6mm. There is a Redmi 3s slightly shorter at 139mm, but its Antutu score is roughly 1/4 of the former?

I've also been looking on gsmarena and notice that there are a number of Motorola handsets in and around the same range - such as the G5.

There doesn't seem to be lot in it and TBH I'm baulking at buying a chinese handset. Can anyone give me a recommendation outside of these for a smallish Android handset with good performance and quality?

Small androids has very much been a budget market for a couple of years now, meaning the phones are probably crap. The Asian markets prefer larger phones, its why Chinese 5-6" phones have been the norm for years, whereas its relatively new for Sony, HTC, Apple to have phones above 5".

Even Sonys "Compact" line are about 4.7" iirc, small androids are a dying market.

I think you're right in that 5" is about the minimum worth getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Del007

I'm looking to get the Xiaomi redmi note 4 for the Mother. Which shop would be best to get the global/international version with quick delivery?

Cheers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

very happy with my note 4x ,battery life is great

the usb port on the old redmi note 2 failed after a year so i've switched to wsken magnetic cables for all new devices
    http://www.dx.com/p/wsken-xcable-mini-2-magnetic-cable-with-micro-usb-adapter-916474353?tc=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkOW61-P61QIVzLDtCh3r7gjaEAQYASABEgIW3_D_BwE#.WaR-b_iGN6k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭as.eirinn

as.eirinn wrote: »

got the same off goldway for 130 delivered (7 days)

these don't have band 20

got the same off goldway for 130 delivered (7 days)

these don't have band 20

Is band 20 the international version?

I'm going to go with this one

As it's for the mother, I'm thinking whether the 4gb version is over kill or if she'll be grand with the 3gb version

https://www.honorbuy.com/1103-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-international-version-64gb-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Small androids has very much been a budget market for a couple of years now, meaning the phones are probably crap. The Asian markets prefer larger phones, its why Chinese 5-6" phones have been the norm for years, whereas its relatively new for Sony, HTC, Apple to have phones above 5".

Thanks.

I've been looking through this again and I'm interested in the Mi5 (€200), Samsung S5 (€185), Mi4c (€150), HTC One M9 (€150).

The Redmi Note seems to be popular, but is it not a very big handset for carrying in pocket? If not, I'dd throw one of them into the mix.

Any recommendations out of the above?

I listen to a lot of radio , but I was informed on here that an app like TuneIn can give me radio access without the need for FM radio and is quite reasonable in terms of data consumption if set up correctly.

Thanks.

Well that's weird. I had two updates, one to MIUI first and then the Android 7 update. Have you updated to MIUI 8.5 yet? Or gone into About Phone in your settings and clicked on system updates? I got a screen prompt to update MIUI and when I installed that I got another screen prompt. Currently Android version is 7.0 NRD90M.

Is there anywhere the updates can be downloaded from manually or do they have to come ota from xiaomi?

Is there anywhere the updates can be downloaded from manually or do they have to come ota from xiaomi?

Recovery roms also can be used with updater app can be got here.

^^^ Only can be used to update same version of rom or to goto developer from stable. Can not be used to change from global to china(vice versa), or developer to stable.

Fastboot roms to be used with MiFlash can be got here.

Differences between Fastboot ROMs and Recovery ROMs

corkie wrote: »
    Recovery roms also can be used with updater app can be got here.

^^^ Only can be used to update same version of rom or to goto developer from stable. Can not be used to change from global to china(vice versa), or developer to stable.

Fastboot roms to be used with MiFlash can be got here.

Differences between Fastboot ROMs and Recovery ROMs

Is there a way to recover or flash new redmis without installing twrp

• Advertisement

Is there a way to recover or flash new redmis without installing twrp

For snapdragon devices you can use EDL Mode (Locked bootloader).

Check the /r/xiaomi wiki, i linked earlier.

There is also a window tools available XiaoMiTool that can also be used.

^^^ Alpha software, have not used it myself!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement