Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I'm going to apply for unlock permission here
    http://en.miui.com/unlock/index.html

Do I give them the international phone number +3538****** and they send me a text ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks.

I've been looking through this again and I'm interested in the Mi5 (€200), Samsung S5 (€185), Mi4c (€150), HTC One M9 (€150).

The Redmi Note seems to be popular, but is it not a very big handset for carrying in pocket? If not, I'dd throw one of them into the mix.

Any recommendations out of the above?

I listen to a lot of radio , but I was informed on here that an app like TuneIn can give me radio access without the need for FM radio and is quite reasonable in terms of data consumption if set up correctly.

Thanks.

Just a quick bump - which of these are recommended for my needs and where is best to purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I got my Redmi Note 4X yesterday.. the selfie mode on the camera is infuriatingly close to your face - mega zoom stuff. The ratio is at the lowest, so I don't know how to change it. Particularly annoying on Snapchat. Don't suppose anyone would have any tips for me on how to change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭corkie

I got my Redmi Note 4X yesterday.. the selfie mode on the camera is infuriatingly close to your face - mega zoom stuff. The ratio is at the lowest, so I don't know how to change it. Particularly annoying on Snapchat. Don't suppose anyone would have any tips for me on how to change it?

Maybe try alternative camera apps.

Google Camera <--- ApkMirror because no longer in Play store <--- Get a version that support your Android version

Open Camera

AZ Camera - Manual Pro Cam

Above two support Camera2 Api if enabled on your device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

corkie wrote: »
    Maybe try alternative camera apps.

Google Camera <--- ApkMirror because no longer in Play store <--- Get a version that support your Android version

Open Camera

AZ Camera - Manual Pro Cam

Above two support Camera2 Api if enabled on your device.

thank you so much, I will give these a try! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finally, my Maze Alpha has arrived... in Eindhoven!
    Still, it's moving in the right direction with an expected final delivery on the 4th.
    Fingers crossed there'll be no duty due...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

How are people finding ulefone phones in the sub 200 bracket? My experience isn't great.i got a ulefone armour for use on the sites. It's been about 3 months since I used it but as far as I remember is was a bit glitch and prone to slowness. I picked up a power 2 about 3 weeks ago and due to breaking her phone the missus is using it. It's very prone to freezing when using things like Facebook .it'll regularly stop responding and she wants rid. I'm wondering is this a trait of their devices or am I being unlucky. The annoying , or more to the point annoying to find a replacement for , charging cable for the armour has soured me a bit too. There's no issue getting long tipped micro usb cables , but the plastic on them is too big and they catch the side of the armour shell so won't go fully in. Is the slowness just down to mediatek cpus maybe?

In contrast , for similar money I'm using a redmi note 4x (3gb model) and it's been excellent. I'd have happily paid much more for it. So much so I've ordered her the 4gb model.

I came across the armour 2 and like the look of it but I'm reluctant to give them another go.

I bought a Ulefone Power last year. Was very happy with it, battery life being one of the main reasons I bought it over some of the other brands. However after about 6 weeks the screen developed a dead spot about 8 mm high in the centre. Sent it back for repair (Gizchina - so repaired i Europe.) Got tired of waiting for it to return so bought a Oukitel K6000 pro - similar phone to the Power. The Power came back with new screen and sat in a drawer until recently when I dropped the Oukitel on teh edge of a table screen down and broke the screen (my fault - not the phones), so I started using the Power again. After 3 months it has again developed a screen problem - but this time at the top of the screen. It is seeing a touch as two touches about 10 mm apart - with the result that everytime I try to touch the top 10 mm of the screen, say to type into a browser address, it pulls down the settings menu. Searching the web it seems like there are a lot of Ulefone Power users with similar types screen / digitiser issues. So having experienced it twice I would be slow to buy another Ulefone product. The Oukitel on other hand had no problems and I would not hesitate to buy another Oukitel phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

gn3dr wrote: »
    After 3 months it has again developed a screen problem...
    Are you by any chance using a phone cover with a magnetic clasp? or storing the phone anywhere a magnet or speaker? My Galaxy Note 3 had screen problems that were caused by a magnetic clasp in the cover but would dissipate after a few hours of being out of it's cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Scotty # wrote: »
    Are you by any chance using a phone cover with a magnetic clasp? or storing the phone anywhere a magnet or speaker? My Galaxy Note 3 had screen problems that were caused by a magnetic clasp in the cover but would dissipate after a few hours of being out of it's cover.
    Hi, no I just use the standard gel type case. No magnetic item used. I think it may be related to heat. With the big battery and fast charge it does get quite hot when charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hi, no I just use the standard gel type case. No magnetic item used. I think it may be related to heat. With the big battery and fast charge it does get quite hot when charging.

Try charging without the gel case, without the back cover if possible. And place the screen facing down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Can anyone recommend a decent looking case for the Redmi Note 4X? After smashing the screen on my first one a few weeks ago I ended up buying another and I do not want the same thing to happen to this one. I have a screen protector on but am still nervous so would like to get some sort of case.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I got one of these just to get out of a hole and have something covering it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hybrid-Shockproof-Ultra-Thin-Slim-Clear-Gel-Case-Cover-For-Xiaomi-Mobiles/112480079151?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=412865432634&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

turns out it looks really well and doesn't need replacing! worth getting and you can always upgrade to a better one if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Can anyone recommend a decent looking case for the Redmi Note 4X? After smashing the screen on my first one a few weeks ago I ended up buying another and I do not want the same thing to happen to this one. I have a screen protector on but am still nervous so would like to get some sort of case.

Ipaky cases are good quality and give good protection all round the phone. There is a raise edge on the front of the cover so that if the phone drops onto a level surface the screen doesn't hit the ground directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I bought a Ulefone Power last year. Was very happy with it, battery life being one of the main reasons I bought it over some of the other brands. However after about 6 weeks the screen developed a dead spot about 8 mm high in the centre. Sent it back for repair (Gizchina - so repaired i Europe.) Got tired of waiting for it to return so bought a Oukitel K6000 pro - similar phone to the Power. The Power came back with new screen and sat in a drawer until recently when I dropped the Oukitel on teh edge of a table screen down and broke the screen (my fault - not the phones), so I started using the Power again. After 3 months it has again developed a screen problem - but this time at the top of the screen. It is seeing a touch as two touches about 10 mm apart - with the result that everytime I try to touch the top 10 mm of the screen, say to type into a browser address, it pulls down the settings menu. Searching the web it seems like there are a lot of Ulefone Power users with similar types screen / digitiser issues. So having experienced it twice I would be slow to buy another Ulefone product. The Oukitel on other hand had no problems and I would not hesitate to buy another Oukitel phone.

Thanks for posting this review, it good to see reviews here, be they good are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

What are peoples thoughts here on the upcoming umi s2, 5100mah battery and 6inch screen with very little bezels. Not a fan of umi from what I read on this thread about them but I have to say this phones specs are impressing me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, UPS have got the Maze Alpha to Dublin, how long of a wait is it between customs getting it and making a call on the duty owed I wonder?

What are peoples thoughts here on the upcoming umi s2, 5100mah battery and 6inch screen with very little bezels. Not a fan of umi from what I read on this thread about them but I have to say this phones specs are impressing me

doesn't look anything special

whats the price on it

Cheapest place to buy mi max 2 black international on gearbeast for €202 with a coupon Is it cheaper anywhere else

Also looking for a screen protector and a decent case for it

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Cheapest place to buy mi max 2 black international on gearbeast for €202 with a coupon Is it cheaper anywhere else

Also looking for a screen protector and a decent case for it

Thank you

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-max-2/accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, UPS have got the Maze Alpha to Dublin, how long of a wait is it between customs getting it and making a call on the duty owed I wonder?

Customs doesnt take too long, I'd say you'll have it Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Looking at an unlocked, dual-Sim "Cagabi One." Seems like a good deal but as always, too good to be true usually isn't.

It's available on ebay.de, and here's a link to where the manufacturer's site sends you to: https://www.tomtop.com/others-cell-phone-34/p-pz0030b-eu.html
    Some features:

CPU--MTK6580A Quad Core 1.3GHz CPU, High-Speed Processing
    OS--Android 6.0+OTA Update, System for Long Run
    Capacity--1GB RAM+8GB ROM, supports TF card up to 32GB extended

Would dual-sim mean implicitly unlocked? The reseller (link) doesn't say 'unlocked' but maybe it's assumed? The mfgr site says so but it's a very crude site.

Just looking for a phone to replace my HTC 510 which died yesterday, after a slow descent into uselessness. TIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Igotadose wrote: »
    Looking at an unlocked, dual-Sim "Cagabi One." Seems like a good deal but as always, too good to be true usually isn't.

It's available on ebay.de, and here's a link to where the manufacturer's site sends you to: https://www.tomtop.com/others-cell-phone-34/p-pz0030b-eu.html
    Some features:

CPU--MTK6580A Quad Core 1.3GHz CPU, High-Speed Processing
    OS--Android 6.0+OTA Update, System for Long Run
    Capacity--1GB RAM+8GB ROM, supports TF card up to 32GB extended

Would dual-sim mean implicitly unlocked? The reseller (link) doesn't say 'unlocked' but maybe it's assumed? The mfgr site says so but it's a very crude site.

Just looking for a phone to replace my HTC 510 which died yesterday, after a slow descent into uselessness. TIA.

I don't think you'd find that very much faster than the 510. Pitiful storage, as has been mentioned already.

I'd up the budget to 120 or so if you can, have a look at a Mi4 or a Redmi, much better phones for the comparative price tag.

Have you checked out Kimovil? You might find some more options regardless.

Customs doesnt take too long, I'd say you'll have it Monday.

I'm having it delivered to work, so I better let reception know.... UPS guy/gal be waiting a while for their money otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I'm having it delivered to work, so I better let reception know.... UPS guy/gal be waiting a while for their money otherwise!

If its coming from An Post, you'll have to pay the postman in cash, exact change only!

I would have thought a private courier would charge you before delivery.

fixxxer wrote: »
    If its coming from An Post, you'll have to pay the postman in cash, exact change only!

I would have thought a private courier would charge you before delivery.

Yeah, I'm kinda hoping that I'll get an email if that's the case, and I can pay online on Monday morning, should the old "gift" label prove ineffective.
    Looking forward to getting my hands on it now.
    There was a German reviewer on YouTube whose Maze Alpha had the Google pill type search icon on screen, instead of the bar, he maintains it's the original launcher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't think you'd find that very much faster than the 510. Pitiful storage, as has been mentioned already.

I'd up the budget to 120 or so if you can, have a look at a Mi4 or a Redmi, much better phones for the comparative price tag.

Have you checked out Kimovil? You might find some more options regardless.

Looking to limit the display size to 5 inches; Kimovil is great! It's led me to the Nomu S10, which seems to get glowing reviews and is attractive due to size and the various features like the waterproofing (one of many things I inflicted on my HTC was a drop in the toilet, which it more-or-less recovered from, and worked for about another year.) It's predecessor drowned in a pocket in a thunderstorm, moto RAZR as I recall.

Nomu specs seem to look pretty good: http://www.androidguys.com/2016/12/14/nomu-s10-a-rugged-device-full-of-compromises-review/

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Screen on my Jiayu S3 smashed today :( ... Its had fantastic ROM development in the time Ive owned it. Oreo is being worked on it at the moment via the Devs on XDA. /
    I'm either gonna get a replacement S3 or get a new device. Any similar devices with approx €150-200 budget?

5.5", 3gb RAM, 3+ ram and half decent battery?

GBX wrote: »
    Screen on my Jiayu S3 smashed today :( ... Its had fantastic ROM development in the time Ive owned it. Oreo is being worked on it at the moment via the Devs on XDA. /
    I'm either gonna get a replacement S3 or get a new device. Any similar devices with approx €150-200 budget?

5.5", 3gb RAM, 2500+ ram and half decent battery?
    Redmi note 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Redmi note 4

I have a Jaiyu S3 + with a new big battery ,as new,never flashed, standard room.If interested PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement