Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Sigh......I did it again lads :(

Oukitel u11, 145 euro in total from Amazon

I hate myself

I'll review in time.

God dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

horse7 wrote: »
    I have a Jaiyu S3 + with a new big battery ,as new,never flashed, standard room.If interested PM me.

PM Sent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maze Alpha just arrived in work via UPS, no duty to be paid, seems the phone was sent from NL, no mention of HK or CHN anywhere on the postage label.
    It's a fecking massive phone though, bigger than the Nexus 6p I have been using, perhaps larger than the Nexus 6 I was using before hand.

Apparently there have been some issues with the newest firmware update, Update 5, specifically around NV RAM and wifi, so I'll watch and see.
    But the phone is getting regular updates and support so hopefully nothing permanent.

Fingers crossed, I'll post a review here in the coming days, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Fingers crossed, I'll post a review here in the coming days, if anyone is interested.

Please do.

Customs doesnt take too long, I'd say you'll have it Monday.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maze Alpha just arrived in work via UPS, no duty to be paid, seems the phone was sent from NL, no mention of HK or CHN anywhere on the postage label.
    It's a fecking massive phone though, bigger than the Nexus 6p I have been using, perhaps larger than the Nexus 6 I was using before hand.

Apparently there have been some issues with the newest firmware update, Update 5, specifically around NV RAM and wifi, so I'll watch and see.
    But the phone is getting regular updates and support so hopefully nothing permanent.

Swish :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

N00b advice, but this seems to be stuck on the "Activating Mobile Service" screen and I'm in an area with sh1te signal and no wifi, how can I proceed with it?

Right, moving along now.... exciting times.... hopefully not interesting ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anyone have any experience with actually buying any of these phones in China? I am going next month and it would be great to buy one, very difficult to find any info over the net though.

GBX wrote: »
    Screen on my Jiayu S3 smashed today :( ... Its had fantastic ROM development in the time Ive owned it. Oreo is being worked on it at the moment via the Devs on XDA. /
    I'm either gonna get a replacement S3 or get a new device. Any similar devices with approx €150-200 budget?

5.5", 3gb RAM, 3+ ram and half decent battery?

Ordered the Oukitel U13. MAD Developers support this so happy to take a chance on it.

Right, moving along now.... exciting times.... hopefully not interesting ones though

Well this is running like a dream.
    It updated to v5 firmware as soon as it was connected to a network, since then it was just time, as it installed my apps and so on. Lack of app drawer meant a quick switch to Google Now was in order.
    Installed GBoard and some other favourites of mine and it's perfect, and only €170 posted.
    Only issue is it's a finger print magnet, I had ordered a cover but it didn't come in this shipment, hopefully soon as it is heavy enough and I really don't want to break it!
    I played a bit of Horizon Chase and it was smooth, all other apps working well.
    WiFi and 4g seem to be working well also.
    The front finger print sensor is fast, I've it working as a home button via Fingerprint Quick Action app.
    Honestly, this feels like a much more expensive phone.
    The screen is gorgeous though 1080p, rather than the more impressive screen on the 6p, but honestly you wouldn't really pick up on it in use.
    The camera app is odd, I'm using a generic Google one for now, will wait to see what updates come to further help with the camera issues.
    Again, a great phone so far, though it has only done a spot of browsing so far.
    More reports to come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I've got a hard black cover for my redmi note 4x but there's no grip

Is there anything I can do to give it grip?

3m double sided tape? They usually ship some with GoPro cameras or that style.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

GripGrip cricket tape or GT-5000 tape (guntape) (ebay or amazon.com)

Edited

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=GT-5000+Grip+Tape

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Raoul wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with actually buying any of these phones in China? I am going next month and it would be great to buy one, very difficult to find any info over the net though.

Prepared to be just as uninformed when you get there! Buying electronics in China is a pain in the ass. For mobiles, you have to look for international versions that have proper firmware that has the proper Google Play store. Problems reported with LTE bands being different for some phones too. And then you have to find somewhere to buy them - you will probably have to find an electronics market which in big cities is usually is between 3 to 7 floors of small stalls all selling the same ****e.And electronics are quite highly taxed domestically in China, which makes China not the great value you might imagine. And that assumes you actually get what you order - check, recheck and recheck again anything you buy there.

Awoke this morning to find the Maze Alpha was registering "No Service".
    I had to go through a brief network search.
    Might have been an update over night perhaps, but something to watch.

Awoke this morning to find the Maze Alpha was registering "No Service".
    I had to go through a brief network search.
    Might have been an update over night perhaps, but something to watch.

Any chance its the sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I know I shouldn't ..........buy a phone on Presale............I know I shouldn't.........buy a Mediatek chip if I want decent GPS..............but but..................

http://umidigi.com/page-umidigi_s2_activity.html

I think I might!!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't ..........buy a phone on Presale............I know I shouldn't.........buy a Mediatek chip if I want decent GPS..............but but..................

http://umidigi.com/page-umidigi_s2_activity.html

I think I might!!!

DO IT!

Any chance its the sim?

Turns out one of the Three mobile provider settings didn't "take", I double checked the network settings and typed the missing line in on the appropriate line,
    Name: 3 Ireland
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Username: not set
    Password: not set
    Server: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/bb/HutchKey/
    MMSC: http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:/mmsc/
    MMS Proxy: mms.3ireland.ie
    MMS Port: 8799
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 05
    APN Type: not set

Once the bold line above was typed, saved and the phone restarted, no more issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

New Xiaomi MI A1 looks interesting

Running stock android instead of MIUI

FHD 5.5inch screen 4gb, 64gb ram,Gorilla glass Duel rear camera

Fingerprint sensor,snapdragon 625 processor Global version with B20 (according to the specs on the aliexpress link)

Battery slightly disappointing @3080 mah

Running android 7 with a promise of 8 before end of year

Full specs http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1_(5x)-8776.php

Launched in India today its on presale on Aliexpress for around 215 euro
    shipping expected in a week or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im liking that dual camera at that price point. See how it progresses in a few weeks but that could eat a chunk of the budget market if there's no huge pitfall.

NATLOR wrote: »
    New Xiaomi MI A1 looks interesting

Running stock android instead of MIUI

FHD 5.5inch screen 4gb, 64gb ram,Gorilla glass Duel rear camera

Fingerprint sensor,snapdragon 625 processor Global version with B20 (according to the specs on the aliexpress link)

Battery slightly disappointing @3080 mah

Running android 7 with a promise of 8 before end of year

Full specs http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a1_(5x)-8776.php

Launched in India today its on presale on Aliexpress for around 215 euro
    shipping expected in a week or so

Definitely one to keep an eye on. I was on the fence of a Note 4x but I'm not fond of their MIUI set up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Iv only just discovered the world of Chinese brand phones! Can anyone point me in the general direction of what type of phone i should be looking for on an Android format. Something that has play store and the usual functions if i were to buy a rip of phone from Samsung. It would be much appreciated. I almost bought an s8 clone before I stumbled on the opening post on the thread warning me away from them so am a bit clueless.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd stick with something like a Xiaomi, maybe a Redmi 4?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I'd stick with something like a Xiaomi, maybe a Redmi 4?

I currently have an S6 and would like to progress if that helps. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

For those of you who have recommended HK goldway to buy the Note 4 from, what postage method did you select to avoid customs?
    And how long was delivery?
    The options are China to Ireland Ali express shipping, US Ali express shipping or DHL?

Or any other recommended seller?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

dedaw wrote: »
    For those of you who have recommended HK goldway to buy the Note 4 from, what postage method did you select to avoid customs?
    And how long was delivery?
    The options are China to Ireland Ali express shipping, US Ali express shipping or DHL?

Or any other recommended seller?
    Thanks in advance.

I used geekbuying and ordered from the italian warehouse. No charges and I googled some discount codes, got a 3gb grey band 20 32GB for 157 all in. hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Looking at his thread alsong time now - Just pulled the trigger on https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone----Black-380491.html
    to be informed of an addditional €20 postage/shipping fee:eek:

What is the story - is it only free shipping from HK?

Or is there another way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Looking at his thread along time now - Just pulled the trigger on https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone----Black-380491.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

dball wrote: »
    Looking at his thread alsong time now - Just pulled the trigger on https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone----Black-380491.html

Post above you seerns not to have gotten extra charges from GeekBuyings IT Warehouse, maybe try that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement