Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was reviewing Xiaomi phones and looking for models that have band 20. Found this link - Maybe it can be added to the OP:

* Redmi 3s Global - "land" firmware will support band 20 (2016031) Thanks @fredek
    * Redmi Note 3 Special edition - "kate" firmware will support band 20 (2015161)
    * Redmi Note 4(X) Global - "mido" firmware will support band 20. (2016102) Thanks @dogiex
    * Redmi 4x Global - ?Santoni? untested
    * Redmi 4a Global - "Rolex" firmware will support band 20. (2016116) Tested by myself
    * Mi note 2 Global - "Scorpio" firmware untested

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-global-phones-with-band-20-xiaomi-eu-rom.39300/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Post above you seerns not to have gotten extra charges from GeekBuyings IT Warehouse, maybe try that?

my bad, thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.

ty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

ImARebel wrote: »
    dedaw wrote: »
    For those of you who have recommended HK goldway to buy the Note 4 from, what postage method did you select to avoid customs?
    And how long was delivery?
    The options are China to Ireland Ali express shipping, US Ali express shipping or DHL?

Or any other recommended seller?
    Thanks in advance.

I used geekbuying and ordered from the italian warehouse. No charges and I googled some discount codes, got a 3gb grey band 20 32GB for 157 all in. hope that helps!
    This one? Interested to hear as I see some of the Xiomi have no band 20 4G where this one has.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pack-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-3GB-32GB-Smartphone--Black-381627.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

GBX wrote: »
    I was reviewing Xiaomi phones and looking for models that have band 20. Found this link - Maybe it can be added to the OP:

* Redmi 3s Global - "land" firmware will support band 20 (2016031) Thanks @fredek
    * Redmi Note 4(X) Global - "mido" firmware will support band 20. (2016102) Thanks @dogiex
    * Redmi 4a Global - "Rolex" firmware will support band 20. (2016116) Tested by myself

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-global-phones-with-band-20-xiaomi-eu-rom.39300/

Whats band 20?

Autochange wrote: »
    Whats band 20?

There are 2 4g bands used in certain areas. Most use band 3. But Band 20 is missing on some which means you will only get 3g in these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Autochange wrote: »
    Whats band 20?

For getting 4G outside of cities

GBX wanna PM a mod with that? You'd be better at wording it than I. A quick disclaimer about what band 20 is is probably useful too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Post above you seerns not to have gotten extra charges from GeekBuyings IT Warehouse, maybe try that?

I think that poster meant no customs charges. There are 3 euro warehouse options and there is a postage charge for all of them but for some reason the Italy option is only a couple of euro compared to German and Spanish which are around 20 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

thanks guys, sorted - the italian one is way cheaper for postage - well today it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anybody got an opinion on the new Xiaomi Mi A1?

Looks to tick a lot of boxes for me, especially the fact that it is running near stock android.

Eagerly awaiting some hands on reviews to see how decent the camera is and what battery life is like.

It is due to be officially available in a number of European markets including Poland, Hungary and the Czech republic.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/xiaomi-mi-a1-how-buy-in-uk-price-features-specs-3663624/

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Interesting vid about potentially fake cameras in some phones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

sgarvan wrote: »
    This one? Interested to hear as I see some of the Xiomi have no band 20 4G where this one has.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pack-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-3GB-32GB-Smartphone--Black-381627.html

that's essentially the same, I only went with Italy as it stocked the grey one that my sister wanted. It has band 20 which is why i went for that over the 4x.

She loves it and even her boyfriend who is an apple fanboy loves it too :)

And if the screen was bigger I'd be getting one for myself!

NATLOR wrote: »
    I think that poster meant no customs charges. There are 3 euro warehouse options and there is a postage charge for all of them but for some reason the Italy option is only a couple of euro compared to German and Spanish which are around 20 quid

yes sorry that's what I meant, I paid slightly more just for the peace of mind of knowing it wouldn't encounter customs charges.

Also by googling discount codes, I essentially got it posted for free...think I got 8% off in total or something close to it. I was happy with the deal I got

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

that's essentially the same, I only went with Italy as it stocked the grey one that my sister wanted. It has band 20 which is why i went for that over the 4x.

She loves it and even her boyfriend who is an apple fanboy loves it too :)

And if the screen was bigger I'd be getting one for myself!

The note 4 has band 20? Out in the sticks here so looking to confirm. Cheers!!

Do-more wrote: »
    Anybody got an opinion on the new Xiaomi Mi A1?

Looks to tick a lot of boxes for me, especially the fact that it is running near stock android.

Eagerly awaiting some hands on reviews to see how decent the camera is and what battery life is like.

It is due to be officially available in a number of European markets including Poland, Hungary and the Czech republic.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/xiaomi-mi-a1-how-buy-in-uk-price-features-specs-3663624/

I just got a mail from Geekbuying offering it for €192. Its not shipping for another 17 days. Like all new devices the reviews will be from magazines/websites and may not offer a "real" view as this most likely wont be the primary device used by the reviewer. It could be some time before you have this info.
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-5-5-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-385504.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=&utm_campaign=DMCAH_holiday_20170907

I posted this list yesterday. Note 4 X does according the Xiaomi community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

I posted this list yesterday. Note 4 X does according the Xiaomi community.

The Global Version of the Redmi Note 4 has band 20!

It doesn't have X in the name but is exactly the same device except for extra bands.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/redminote4x

When ordering double check the specs to make sure your getting the correct one with extra bands!

Edit: - This is not a rule for all devices for example: -
    The Redmi 4X has Band 20! Which is the opposite to Redmi Note 4

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/redmi4x

Another thing to note is that there are Global versions of some Xiaomi phones - like the one Corkie linked and also there are Global Roms. A rom does not allow for an extra band missing from a phones specs.

Yes the note 4 does. To the best of my knowledge the 4x doesn't. So if 4g matters to you, go with the 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I went AliExpress about a month ago for the 4gb version. 145 all in with delivery to parcel motel. Didn't get caught for customs but I had money left in case I did. Would have still been cheaper than paying direct from an "EU warehouse".

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Yes the note 4 does. To the best of my knowledge the 4x doesn't. So if 4g matters to you, go with the 4

I have just checked willmyphonsework.net for the redmi 4x model and it shows band 20... The review below also appears to confirm the global version of the 4x has band 20...

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/xiaomi-redmi-note-4x-review-3658711/

• Advertisement

theduffer wrote: »
    I have just checked willmyphonsework.net for the redmi 4x model and it shows band 20... The review below also appears to confirm the global version of the 4x has band 20...

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/xiaomi-redmi-note-4x-review-3658711/

Different device but yes you are correct the Redmi 4X has Band 20! Which is the opposite to Redmi Note 4

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/redmi4x

Edit: - Think you where still referring to Redmi Note 4 anyway. Some sites incorrectly label the global version as the RN4X

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Just got a Note 4x – I’m having issues with the headphone jack – it doesn’t connect automatically, and when it does, it will disconnect suddenly and switch to speaker. Requires a bit of fiddling about too to connect in the first place. The icon will come and go during all of this. On top of this, when I’m trying to connect my earphones my network will drop and I’ll get the message “No Radio”, requiring a reboot.

Anyone got this issue before? Bought from Geekbuying who are investigating.

Also, would I be right in saying that future MIUI updates are all OTA and don’t require downloading ROMs etc?

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Just got a Note 4x – I’m having issues with the headphone jack – it doesn’t connect automatically, and when it does, it will disconnect suddenly and switch to speaker. Requires a bit of fiddling about too to connect in the first place. The icon will come and go during all of this. On top of this, when I’m trying to connect my earphones my network will drop and I’ll get the message “No Radio”, requiring a reboot.

Anyone got this issue before? Bought from Geekbuying who are investigating.

Also, would I be right in saying that future MIUI updates are all OTA and don’t require downloading ROMs etc?

What is your current MIUI version?

Found in settings - about phone (list the full string of letters)

Possibility of a Vendor/Reseller Rom!

If you have vendor rom, you might not get OTA updates.
    If official rom, you will get OTA updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

corkie wrote: »
    What is your current MIUI version?

Found in settings - about phone (list the full string of letters)

Possibility of a Vendor/Reseller Rom!

If you have vendor rom, you might not get OTA updates.
    If official rom, you will get OTA updates.

Cheers for that - looks official to me (from what I could understand on those links) - it's MIUI 8.2.1.0 MBFMID

theduffer wrote: »

I honestly don't think it does but I could be wrong

Taken from GSMarena:
    Redmi Note 4X: 4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

Redmi Note 4: 4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300)

But I stand to be corrected. Either way I erred on the side of caution and went with the Note 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The current batch of Redmi variants really are confusing as hell.

fixxxer wrote: »
    The current batch of Redmi variants really are confusing as hell.

For sure

By following this thread I find myself lusting after a new phone on a daily basis :D

It happens .. few serial offenders around here :pac:

1vhyo6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It happens .. few serial offenders around here :pac:

1vga8s.jpg

I'll be living vicariously through the missus, "jeepers, you're having to charge that yoke an awful lot, let me tell you about the Mi A1..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I use Firefox, have always been a big fan, on my Xiaomi MI4C but its been killing my battery recently. On for 10-20 mins and battery drops about 20-30 per cent. Anyone come across similar issue and have any solutions.

If not what are peoples preferred browsers these days. Probably lots of different answers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement