Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I use Firefox, have always been a big fan, on my Xiaomi MI4C but its been killing my battery recently. On for 10-20 mins and battery drops about 20-30 per cent. Anyone come across similar issue and have any solutions.

If not what are peoples preferred browsers these days. Probably lots of different answers!

I use Firefox because Desktop Sync and Chromes RAM eating bull**** can suck a ****. I don't like Chrome. Don't find Firefox murdering my battery though.

Dolphin or Opera might be worth a punt, I used to like Dolphin back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I use Yandex. For me, it does everything i want and i like the Zen feature with the news feeds.
    I have blocked all of the crap about celebrities and useless other feeds. I also have blocked all of the newspapers and sources that i do not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Do-more wrote: »
    Anybody got an opinion on the new Xiaomi Mi A1?

Looks to tick a lot of boxes for me, especially the fact that it is running near stock android.

Eagerly awaiting some hands on reviews to see how decent the camera is and what battery life is like.

It is due to be officially available in a number of European markets including Poland, Hungary and the Czech republic.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/xiaomi-mi-a1-how-buy-in-uk-price-features-specs-3663624/

Any article with a link to GEARBEST is to be taken with a pinch of salt, IMO.

Looks like it could be my next phone though, but I won't be buying it from there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

GBX wrote: »
    It happens .. few serial offenders around here :pac:

1vga8s.jpg

I'm honestly gonna grammar nazi you for spelling my old username incorrectly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

:pac: Fixed... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I should really stop but I don't make smoke and rarely drink so need to spend! Got awkward once on adverts when someone asked why I sell phones after a few months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I should really stop but I don't make smoke and rarely drink so need to spend! Got awkward once on adverts when someone asked why I sell phones after a few months :D

"Why... wouldn't... I?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Still saving my money for the Yotaphone 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I have been using that Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime since February.
    Not a single issue with it. Well worth it.

Only con: Lack of official custom ROMs

LEIN wrote: »
    I have been using that Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime since February.
    Not a single issue with it. Well worth it.

Only con: Lack of official custom ROMs

I've never seen any official custom ROMs from any company, what do you mean? A stock android delivered by Xiaomi, or by anybody?

• Advertisement

I've never seen any official custom ROMs from any company, what do you mean? A stock android delivered by Xiaomi, or by anybody?

Official Lineage is one example.

https://download.lineageos.org

I am running Unofficial Lineage 14.1 because my phone is not yet officially supported by Lineage.

That would be Official from Lineage - still a custom rom.

Ah I get ya, still a custom ROM as has been said.

Have you any issues with it? They're normally just basic ports of the main ROM, I don't think there's too much likelihood of them going bad, Lineage just don't stand by it.

Used Cyanogenmod ports for years and years with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Just got a Note 4x – I’m having issues with the headphone jack – it doesn’t connect automatically, and when it does, it will disconnect suddenly and switch to speaker. Requires a bit of fiddling about too to connect in the first place. The icon will come and go during all of this. On top of this, when I’m trying to connect my earphones my network will drop and I’ll get the message “No Radio”, requiring a reboot.

Anyone got this issue before? Bought from Geekbuying who are investigating.

Also, would I be right in saying that future MIUI updates are all OTA and don’t require downloading ROMs etc?

So, maybe someone more experienced could advise me here:

I’ve been advised to update to the latest firmware to fix my issue. My device is bootlocked. To unlock, I need to apply (which I have) and unlock via the Mi Unlock tool (which I have) – however, I first have to wait 72 hours for my phone to associate itself with whatever it need to do, in order to complete the unlock process. Is this the only way to do this?

Banggood are having a sale at the minute. Not sure if this is a good deal or not but might be ok?

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Fingerprint 5.5-inch 3GB RAM 64GB MTK X20 Deca-core 4G Smartphone - €137~

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

For people with Xiaomi experience, what do you think are the pros and cons of MIUI vs stock Android? I'm looking possibly at a Note 4 or a Mi A1 and wondering what the difference in the operating system would be in real world use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

MickH503 wrote: »
    For people with Xiaomi experience, what do you think are the pros and cons of MIUI vs stock Android? I'm looking possibly at a Note 4 or a Mi A1 and wondering what the difference in the operating system would be in real world use.

No real difference, however I did have an issue before where Miui would not pick up my google contacts, ie stored on google cloud.

Very annoying if you use google contacts , and dont store contacts on SIM

This was 2 years ago, not sure if still an issue

MickH503 wrote: »

This may be answered awkwardly as I'm not sober, but I wouldn't recommend MiUi to a sober myself. Its more limiting than stock android and slower IMO, but can be simpler to use.

I'd you're happy to unlock Bootloader and install custom ROMs, Xiaomi all the way buy I wouldn't pick a Xiaomi unless AOSP (stock Android) was an option.

Each to their own, I'm sure 70% of Xiaomi users are happy with MiUi but not all will be, I'm one of the ones who wouldn't be.

If you're confident enough to go for custom ROMs, (its easy) then a Xiaomi is almost guaranteed a solid purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 talkinblah12

Trying to figure out whether the Xiaomi Redmi 4X internatioal version will work here on Three.

Supported bands: FDD-LTE (B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20), TD-LTE (B38/B40), WCDMA (B1/B2/B5/B8), GSM (B2/B3/B5/B8)

Supposdly three uses"

4G: 800MHz & 1800MHz
    3G: 2100MHz & 900MHz
    2G: 900MHz & 1800MHz
    "

From what I can gather 4G B3 is 1800 and b20 is 800.
    3G 2100 is B1 and 900 is B8.So I am fully covered for 4g and 3g correct?
    I cant exactly figure it out for 2g though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This may be answered awkwardly as I'm not sober, but I wouldn't recommend MiUi to a sober myself. Its more limiting than stock android and slower IMO, but can be simpler to use.

I'd you're happy to unlock Bootloader and install custom ROMs, Xiaomi all the way buy I wouldn't pick a Xiaomi unless AOSP (stock Android) was an option.

Each to their own, I'm sure 70% of Xiaomi users are happy with MiUi but not all will be, I'm one of the ones who wouldn't be.

If you're confident enough to go for custom ROMs, (its easy) then a Xiaomi is almost guaranteed a solid purchase.

Is it not just as handy to stick Google Now on the MiUi device, or is it still going to be horribly slow?
    I'm using it with the Maze Alpha and I'm hard pressed to see the difference between this and a "high end" phone with the same launcher.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it not just as handy to stick Google Now on the MiUi device, or is it still going to be horribly slow?
    I'm using it with the Maze Alpha and I'm hard pressed to see the difference between this and a "high end" phone with the same launcher.

They're not horribly slow, I just find for myself it normally takes me longer to do stuff or figure out where to do stuff on MiUi, even with Google Now.

What was your last phone? There's not much difference between high end phones of 2-3 years ago and those of today from what I've seen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a Nexus 6P and there doesn't seem to much between it and the Maze Alpha at all.
    Only thing I miss is a decent case and Android 8.0

Speaking of a case, anywhere more local than China stock a Maze Alpha case, I'm looking for the clear plastic type.
    The chequered translucent one that's on AliExpress and the like is perfect.
    I just don't want to wait until November to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Order it to PM. It'll get here in 2 weeks if you pay for tracked shipping.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Order it to PM. It'll get here in 2 weeks if you pay for tracked shipping.

Parcel Motel?
    Yes, I use it all the time but there doesn't seem to be a supply of the things outside of China and HK.
    If anyone has a link or ordered more than one, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Speaking of a case, anywhere more local than China stock a Maze Alpha case, I'm looking for the clear plastic type.
    The chequered translucent one that's on AliExpress and the like is perfect.
    I just don't want to wait until November to get it.

Spanish based seller on amazon "Get it as soon as 27 Sep. - 6 Oct"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Docooler-Protective-Eco-friendly-Anti-scratch-Anti-dust/dp/B074TSFBL9/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y2JJMNVAC857FM968PQQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

has anyone bought the Xiaomi Mi6 phone? any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Autochange wrote: »
    has anyone bought the Xiaomi Mi6 phone? any good?

Would be interested in peoples opinions on this also, looks very good for price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

James bond would probably know a fair bit .......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement