Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

dball wrote: »

received today - literally within the last hour - thanks to all here for the advice and a great thread i've been monitoring for the past years

On initial start up its asking what region to set the phone to:

No Ireland
    No Rep of ireland
    No UK
    No England.

does this matter - should i assign it to an EU country

quick someone answer me so I can press the next button.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

received today - literally within the last hour - thanks to all here for the advice and a great thread i've been monitoring for the past years

No Ireland
    No Rep of ireland
    No UK
    No England.

thanks

I think you can select any EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

No Ireland
    No Rep of ireland
    No UK
    No England.

thanks

Choose Spain as its EU. Makes little difference as the phone will take its time from the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

No Ireland
    No Rep of ireland
    No UK
    No England.

thanks

NO, YES

ill assign it to Ecuador so

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

ill assign it to Ecuador so

thanks

Have they moved Ecuador to the EU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Scotty # wrote: »
    I've bought two Note 4's in the last 3 months and am ordering another today. Got them all from Honorbuy... https://www.honorbuy.com/1105-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-international-version-64gb-gray.html

Went with the 4gb/64gb version. Delivery is about €20 (DHL Express) but it's 1-2 days from Italy tops.

Can't fault the phone. Lightning fast and battery lasts forever. Honorbuy have fairly good after sales service too. Screen replacement on one of these is $75 including your return shipping and takes 4-5 days from the date they receive it.

Sounds good that but I'm wondering is it worth waiting for the Xiaomi Mi A1 which is available soon? Some details and a comparison with Note 4 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Squiggle wrote: »
    Sounds good that but I'm wondering is it worth waiting for the Xiaomi Mi A1 which is available soon? Some details and a comparison with Note 4 here.

If you prefer a stock android phone, wait it out. If you dont mind Xiaomi's version, get the 4x. There are slight improvements in the A1 over the 4x but not huge amounts.

GBX wrote: »
    If you prefer a stock android phone, wait it out. If you dont mind Xiaomi's version, get the 4x. There are slight improvements in the A1 over the 4x but not huge amounts.

Would there be much difference between the two versions ? The fact that I'm asking means I wouldn't notice.....I don't think !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Would there be much difference between the two versions ? The fact that I'm asking means I wouldn't notice.....I don't think !!!

Notifications are clearer on stock android, plus updates should be faster. MIUI is perfectly usable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Is there much difference between the global version and international version? Looking at the note 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Found this on HDUK

The Redmi note 4 3g/32g with B20 is available on Gearbest for €99

Also the paypal link is saying an extra $3 off so possibly even cheaper

You need to be logged in then use code HARVESTUK at checkout

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_704640.html?wid=4

HDUK link

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-4g-3gb-ram-32gb-fingerprint-scanner-phablet-9097-global-version-gearbest-2788039

Expired already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Will this do for unlocking the redmi note 4x

http://www.beritahuaja.com/2017/04/how-to-root-xiaomi-redmi-note-4x.html?en-ie&m=1

I have the permission sorted from Xiaomi to unlock the bootloader ,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the Umidigi S2 a good option even though there seems to be a limited number of 3g & 4g bands available?
    I'd take my phone with me on trips to Europe (western Europe) and wouldn't like to drop connectivity due to lack of suitable bands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know, I see the iPhone X but wild horses couldn't drag me to buy one, I'm as happy with my €170 phone from China, no tie down to a 24 month contract, I get a mostly bezel free experience with the Maze Alpha as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the Umidigi S2 a good option even though there seems to be a limited number of 3g & 4g bands available?
    I'd take my phone with me on trips to Europe (western Europe) and wouldn't like to drop connectivity due to lack of suitable bands.

I've been looking further in to this phone and after some further erading up on these, I think the S2 is compatible with most of western Europe. Is this, correct?

What is the craic with fast charging? Is it must have on the spec sheet? I'm currently looking at this and the Motorola G5S Plus, UmiDigi S2, Xiaomi MiA1 and RedMi Note 4 (4GB/64GB).

There are pluses and minuses with all of them whether it be battery size, fast charging, FM radio, or Android OS.

Any help deciding would be appreciated. I'm getting spec overload from Kimovil.
    My understanding is the the Antutu ratings are not necessary for most people, unless gaming on the phone.

I really only use the phone for calls, WhatsApp, light browsing, Youtubing, etc.
    My real only must haves are robustness (Gorilla glass) and size max ~150mm height. Budget is upto €200, but can splash upto €250 for something better. Note, this is excluding VAT.

The only other fly in ointment is that I'll be looking to put this through company books so I'll need to get VAT receipt for the handset. Does this come with these handsets? Otherwise, I'll have to go to Carphone Warehouse etc and buy one there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

So my friend and his bro are now proud owners of Xiaomi Note 4's so I got my terrible PPTV King 7 back, it is the buggiest phone I've ever had so gonna have a bit of fun trying to flash something new on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So the Oukitel U11 Plus I ordered for my daughter finally came yesterday. Comes loaded with Android 7 with no bloatware as far as I can see. 5.7" screen with 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM with space for a micro SD. Pretty decent screen and battery on it too. Cost me about €125 with postage (DHL) from HK and insurance from gearbest and I got stung for an extra €30 in VAT and Customs charges. Still, far better than any phone you're going to get for that price over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    You know, I see the iPhone X but wild horses couldn't drag me to buy one, I'm as happy with my €170 phone from China, no tie down to a 24 month contract, I get a mostly bezel free experience with the Maze Alpha as well.

I agree with you 100% but imagine trying to explain that to idiot brain washed iPhone users..

So the Oukitel U11 Plus I ordered for my daughter finally came yesterday. Comes loaded with Android 7 with no bloatware as far as I can see. 5.7" screen with 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM with space for a micro SD. Pretty decent screen and battery on it too. Cost me about €125 with postage (DHL) from HK and insurance from geekbuying and I got stung for an extra €30 in VAT and Customs charges. Still, far better than any phone you're going to get for that price over here.

Have it myself I love it.

• Advertisement

So the Oukitel U11 Plus I ordered for my daughter finally came yesterday. Comes loaded with Android 7 with no bloatware as far as I can see. 5.7" screen with 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM with space for a micro SD. Pretty decent screen and battery on it too. Cost me about €125 with postage (DHL) from HK and insurance from geekbuying and I got stung for an extra €30 in VAT and Customs charges. Still, far better than any phone you're going to get for that price over here.
    Have it myself I love it.

Where did ye buy the phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I mistakenly said geekbuying originally but I actually got it on gearbest. There was nearly a three week wait for it to come into stock but once it came in I got it within a couple of days. I see them up on sale on Amazon for about £150 if you wanted to go that option.

Amazon, arrived in 2 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OTA Update V6 for the Maze Alpha this morning, incremental improvements to the camera and other stability issues, all in all the best value phone I've had since the original Moto G.
    Apparently Android 8.0 is on the way, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

it looks lovely - wonder will they start shipping it from EU warehouses?

I can't remember - did you say if you paid customs on it?

I didn't, but I may have simply got lucky.
    I got it from Tomtop who shipped expedited through NL.
    They were supposed to have shipped the case along with but they put it on a literal slow boat from China, so I'll probably get it in time for the Galaxy S9.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Looking for my next phone and having trouble deciding. Thinking about sticking with Oukitel as I liked my K6000 pro before I smashed the screen. I like big battery and big screen. Looking at the Oukitel K3 vs the Oukitel K6000 plus. Which would you get?
    Then of course I also started looking at the Oukitel u16 and the U11 bigger screens but lower specs and smaller batteries.
    Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I didn't, but I may have simply got lucky.
    I got it from Tomtop who shipped expedited through NL.
    They were supposed to have shipped the case along with but they put it on a literal slow boat from China, so I'll probably get it in time for the Galaxy S9.

:D:D

How are you finding the camera. Was doing some research and it looks to be it's weakest point (if the reviews/opinions are to be believed) I'm not looking to win any photography contests but I would like the kids to come out semi-recognizable if there's low lighting :)

Looking at his thread alsong time now - Just pulled the trigger on https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone----Black-380491.html
    to be informed of an addditional €20 postage/shipping fee:eek:
    Xiaomi Redmi 4X 5.0 Inch
    What is the story - is it only free shipping from HK?

Or is there another way around it.

received and working fine.

Overall I'm happy - I'm not a heavy user, it serves it purpose as a phone.
    I thought the battery would be stronger but I've only fully charged it twice since receiving it last Monday.

A small bit lagging when a few apps are open. I mainly use this for emails, phone calls and sms/whatsapp. fingerprint sensor is fast but oping apps is slow

I migrated from iphone5s so its probably tough to compete .

Ill give it a 7.5 out of 10 - Ill also be giving it the the other half and looking for something else. Overall very Good value

• Advertisement

I haven't used it too much tbh.
    Yes, I'd say it's the weakest point and, similarly, there are better cameras out there but I'm not finding it disastrous.
    It's performance is improving update by update but I believe the nature of the camera hardware means it's not going to be ever perfect.
    Tbh, I can live with it, at least until Maze make an updated Alpha in 6 months time, when I'll happily buy another one.

I had an awful experience with an Elephone and, later, a Nexus 6, two ends of the spectrum in terms of cost and reputation and both were buggy and terrible to use.
    The Elephone simply succumbed to hardware problems which accumulated, the Nexus 6 had persistent memory leak issues that killed confidence in the device.
    The Maze Alpha has been a relative revelation, cheap with a couple of niggles none of which are catastrophic for me.
    One is the camera.
    Another is that the external speaker isn't the best.
    And lastly the USB C socket doesn't grip the cable tightly, meaning a quick check is needed when charging.
    If you can live with those, it is well worth the €160 or so it costs, shipped to Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement