Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Thanks a million for the feedback - much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've been looking further in to this phone and after some further erading up on these, I think the S2 is compatible with most of western Europe. Is this, correct?

What is the craic with fast charging? Is it must have on the spec sheet? I'm currently looking at this and the Motorola G5S Plus, UmiDigi S2, Xiaomi MiA1 and RedMi Note 4 (4GB/64GB).

There are pluses and minuses with all of them whether it be battery size, fast charging, FM radio, or Android OS.

Any help deciding would be appreciated. I'm getting spec overload from Kimovil.
    My understanding is the the Antutu ratings are not necessary for most people, unless gaming on the phone.

I really only use the phone for calls, WhatsApp, light browsing, Youtubing, etc.
    My real only must haves are robustness (Gorilla glass) and size max ~150mm height. Budget is upto €200, but can splash upto €250 for something better. Note, this is excluding VAT.

The only other fly in ointment is that I'll be looking to put this through company books so I'll need to get VAT receipt for the handset. Does this come with these handsets? Otherwise, I'll have to go to Carphone Warehouse etc and buy one there.

Thanks.

Hi, can anyone give me some pointers here?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Hi, can anyone give me some pointers here?

Thanks.

To check bands go to https://willmyphonework.net/

Fast charging must be mentioned specifically as it is not universal across all chips, but you also need a charger with the proper power output.

Gorilla glass is nice but you really need a case to protect a phone from drops and scrapes properly.

What models have you in mind specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I bought 1 of below

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-XIAOMI-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Black-384682.html

but they just emailed me to say that adaptors are out of stock, what kind do I need as they will refund the adaptor price or wait 10 days

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Prob just a three pin irish plug adaptor that you plug your usb cable into. I'm sure you probably have one already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One is the camera.
    How bad is it?

fixxxer wrote: »
    To check bands go to https://willmyphonework.net/

Fast charging must be mentioned specifically as it is not universal across all chips, but you also need a charger with the proper power output.

Gorilla glass is nice but you really need a case to protect a phone from drops and scrapes properly.

What models have you in mind specifically?

Motorola G5S Plus
    UmiDigi S2
    Xiaomi MiA1
    RedMi Note 4 (4GB/64GB)

I would liked to have opted for an Mi5s+ or Mi6 but as neither of them support band 20 for 4G then I don't think they are a suitable item unfortunately -as they would have been a preference :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

orm0nd wrote: »
    I bought 1 of below

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Global-Version-XIAOMI-Redmi-4X-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Black-384682.html

but they just emailed me to say that adaptors are out of stock, what kind do I need as they will refund the adaptor price or wait 10 days

Thanks !

My local Lidl are selling chargers that you just plus the USB into

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kaneo71

Was thinking about getting this to replace my Huawei P9 lite:

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MAZE-ALPHA-6-0-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-385418.html

Seen good reviews about the Maze Alpha, would you guys recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Have a mi5 at the moment and im pretty happy with it but i have a small crack in the screen so im thinking of changing.
    Anybody have the mi6 and can tell me is it much of an upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Kaneo71 wrote: »
    Was thinking about getting this to replace my Huawei P9 lite:

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MAZE-ALPHA-6-0-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-385418.html

Seen good reviews about the Maze Alpha, would you guys recommend it?

Ciderman just got his
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104683660&postcount=7983

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Looking at the note 4, would there be much difference between the 3g and 4g ram versions?

Timmyr wrote: »
    Have a mi5 at the moment and im pretty happy with it but i have a small crack in the screen so im thinking of changing.
    Anybody have the mi6 and can tell me is it much of an upgrade?

How is the 4G on it? I thought they didn't have band 20 (800MHz) - or is that not an issue for you?

Aside: - is lack of Band 20 a big issue for new handsets? I've read many articles that would infer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

dedaw wrote: »
    Looking at the note 4, would there be much difference between the 3g and 4g ram versions?

depends on your usage, but if I was buying it I'd get the 4gb 64GB version, just because it's only 20eur more and better to have the space and not need it than the other way around.

That said I saw no speed issues/lagging on the 3gb version. I was on a budget (150) hence the reason I didn't stump up the extra as it was a pressie. but if I was buying it myself that's the one I'd get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Motorola G5S Plus
    UmiDigi S2
    Xiaomi MiA1
    RedMi Note 4 (4GB/64GB)

I would liked to have opted for an Mi5s+ or Mi6 but as neither of them support band 20 for 4G then I don't think they are a suitable item unfortunately -as they would have been a preference :(

Not sure about the other options but my wife uses the RedMi Note 4. Bought the Global version from the Honorbuy EU store. Its a fantastic little phone and her usage would be similar to yours. It has band 20 and the battery lasts all day easily. The camera on it is average, but seems to perform better if your use a different app than the bundled one.

Okay - I've read more into this and I believe that the Note 4 is the one for me to get.

These questions might have been asked before, but:
    1. Can I get it with a 3-pin charger?
    2. Is there a preferred seller between geekbuying and honourbuy?
    3. Any recommended extras that I should look at buying for this handset (protection, cases etc)?
    4. Is VAT listed on the receipts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

These questions might have been asked before, but: 1. Can I get it with a 3-pin charger? 2. Is there a preferred seller between geekbuying and honourbuy? 3. Any recommended extras that I should look at buying for this handset (protection, cases etc)? 4. Is VAT listed on the receipts?

Comes with a 2 pin but a 3pin can be got from anywhere or an old one at home. I bought from honorbuy and found them very good, you would have it inside a week. Vat is listed on the receipt I think

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭chrisire

Dont know about elephone,but reviews are great for it,i ordered one last week from gearbest,its only 200 euro there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Elephone P8000 had some problemswith it, but all phone manufacturers have had one that gave them a headache.
    Unfortunately for them, it was quite popular before the problems surfaced (microphone, headset, and to a lesser extent speaker).
    But they did bring their official repair centres to Europe (unrelated to that) and should be good if you do have any issues.
    I just mentioned the previous, as people are still annoyed about the P8000, but they did do repairs or replacements for free when possible.
    HTC had similar problems around the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Okay - I've read more into this and I believe that the Note 4 is the one for me to get.

These questions might have been asked before, but:
    1. Can I get it with a 3-pin charger?
    2. Is there a preferred seller between geekbuying and honourbuy?
    3. Any recommended extras that I should look at buying for this handset (protection, cases etc)?
    4. Is VAT listed on the receipts?

Note the charger is 2amp not 1 amp. You will still be able to get a 3 pin version somewhere online though. The 2 pin charger is a bit ugly and quite big compared with your normal two pin.
    The cheapest solution is to buy a 2 pin to 3 pin travel plug in dealz for 1.50.

Honorbuy have an EU warehouse so VAT would already have been paid when you buy it. Phone will probably come from Italy if you go that route.

It's a big screen phone and while getting a nice bulky protective case is the obvious thing to do, the phone will be getting to the size where it will be awkward to keep in a jeans pocket.

You could go with a lightweight flip case for a couple of euro to minimise on size. Loads of these online. You can always get a better one later if you feel that it won't make the phone too big. Get a tempered glass screen protector. My guess is you'll have trouble getting the screen fixed if you break it. Maybe some of the Chinese run stores in Dublin would be able to replace a screen - I'm not sure.

Bottom line is that if its bought in EU then customs will have no reason to charge you VAT (in fact it would be illegal under EU law). From outside the EU, automatically VAT at 23% applies to cost of phone including postage fees - plus there is a 10 euro admin fee (An Post). Normally the phone is held by customs and you'll get a letter asking to prove the purchase price (incl postage) - so you will need to email them a copy of the online invoice (confirmation email or whatever) at that point.

Some people have got phones through from outside the EU with no customs charges being requested. That seems to happen with sellers who make false customs declaration on the package.

5, In my experience buying from outside the EU even after the customs are paid will be about 10% to 15% cheaper than buying from EU.

BTW it's a fantastic phone. And when you factor in the price difference with some more mainstream brands, its amazing value for money.

Finally, make sure it's a GLOBAL Edition version that you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

[quote=funkey_monkey;1
    How is the 4G on it? I thought they didn't have band 20 (800MHz) - or is that not an issue for you?

Aside: - is lack of Band 20 a big issue for new handsets? I've read many articles that would infer so.[/quote]

I live in NZ and I have pretty much constant 4g

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Aside: - is lack of Band 20 a big issue for new handsets? I've read many articles that would infer so.

Global version has band 20 = 800 mhz. That is why you need global version for proper 4g coverage.

See list of 4g frequencies here - you will see that 800 is included.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Does anyone know if the "RedMi Note 4 3GB/32GB" is the same phone as the RedMi Note 4X? Seems like the only difference is the bands (B20), but I suspect that might be a bit of label hoodwinking on some Chinese marketplaces.

https://www.honorbuy.com/1078-xiaomi-redmi-note-4x-official-global-rom-32gb-smartphone-gray.html

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_604985.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm pretty sure the bands are the main difference in them

Does anyone know if the "RedMi Note 4 3GB/32GB" is the same phone as the RedMi Note 4X? Seems like the only difference is the bands (B20), but I suspect that might be a bit of label hoodwinking on some Chinese marketplaces.

https://www.honorbuy.com/1078-xiaomi-redmi-note-4x-official-global-rom-32gb-smartphone-gray.html

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_604985.html

So they are two different phones somehow. The 4X is intended for China, as a copy of the global Snapdragon variant of the Note 4. :rolleyes:

I want to buy a 3GB/32GB Note 4, anyone know what shops have European warehouses other than honourbuy? (None in stock)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So they are two different phones somehow. The 4X is intended for China, as a copy of the global Snapdragon variant of the Note 4. :rolleyes:

I want to buy a 3GB/32GB Note 4, anyone know what shops have European warehouses other than honourbuy? (None in stock)

Have you checked the OP? There's a list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

There the same device except one has band 20 (gearbest link is the one to get).

See this post!

You could give The Solution Shop a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It has been on sale in quite a few places in the last few weeks, and i am guessing it may again in the next week or two if you are willing to hold on.
    I am holding out for a sale or two to buy whatever phone i go for in the end.
    This time of year up until around roughly the 1st or 2nd week in October there are usually a few sales before the prices start going up for Black Friday and Christmas.
    I think i am going to go for the Maze Alpha, i have seen the 6GB/64GB drop but i just missed it. Hopefully it will again.

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    There the same device except one has band 20 (gearbest link is the one to get).

See this post!

You could give The Solution Shop a try?

Seen TSS on reddit, the fact they have active support is definitely swaying me. Gonna have a further snoop over the weekend and will probably order with them. Was going to just buy a 4/64 from honor but then went to checkout and seen the 20+ euro postage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement