Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Can you not just back them up to your sim card?

If not just sync them all to your gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

wiz569 wrote: »
    Can you not just back them up to your sim card?

If not just sync them all to your gmail account.

another advantage of to your gmail account , means as well as contacts backed up to the cloud

your contacts on devices
    android tablet/ TV box
    win desktop , via chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

thanks for all the replies but all of my contacts are not showing up on my gmail.
    Only some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Is there a way to backup your icloud or LinkedIn contacts to .csv (I think its csv) or import them into your google contacts?

When you set up your google account on the phone all the contacts there will be imported

It is .vcf on android!
    dball wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies but all of my contacts are not showing up on my gmail.
    Only some of them

How to transfer your contacts from iPhone to Android <--- 3 Methods

How To Transfer Contacts From iPhone To Android (5 Ways)

Methods are repeated in the links above, one of the methods should work for you.

Edit: - Above should probably be added to op and/or in the FAQ of the android forum sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Thanks Scotty. So strange, not sure why its there as I'm running xiaomi.eu rom.

Not sure if you saw previous post. But just in case you did not,try this:
    • Go to settings -> installed apps -> all
    • Clear data search and search provider
    • Reboot Phone

Also, since Scottys reply.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-2/help/how-to-disable-search-box-miui-8-t3454011

Specifically Post #5

• Advertisement

Only some of them

This happens on MIUI sometimes, there is a fix ,,,,google

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Sorry to the regulars, but the range of phones is mind-boggling..

Could anyone suggest a phone to meet these criteria:

- must be rooted / rootable
    - have band 20
    - at least 3gb / 32gb
    - available in EU warehouse

The rootable thing is the most important to me.. not too bothered about custom roms - it's mainly for adblocking (and kimovil doesn't seem to have it as a search criterion)..

Phone-wise, anything with decent battery life and reasonable screen / sound - camera not an issue, snapdragon preferable, vanilla android preferable (not a deal breaker)..

Appreciate any help, as I currently find myself using an old windows phone - need to get sorted asap

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Could anyone suggest a phone to meet these criteria:

- must be rooted / rootable
    - have band 20
    - at least 3gb / 32gb
    - available in EU warehouse

I find myself constantly looking back at the Maze Alpha.
    It is on Geekbuying for €183 from Italy at the minute and that works out cheaper than the "Flash deals" of €150 from Hong Kong adding VAT + handling if stopped.
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MAZE-ALPHA-6-0-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-386169.html
    The worst reviews that i have seen so far, do not really have anything bad to say other than the camera. Or they seem to be talking about the bezel.

Rooting https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73586431&postcount=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Im really tempted by the Maze alpha... love the "bezeless" look of it

• Advertisement

Im really tempted by the Maze alpha... love the "bezeless" look of it

I'd be worried about smashing it though - I tend to drop my phone at least weekly :o
    - think I need a phone with a hard case, which would kinda defeat the point of no bezel!

Suckit wrote: »
    I find myself constantly looking back at the Maze Alpha.
    It is on Geekbuying for €183 from Italy at the minute

Thanks - extra 4% for subscribing to newsletter brings it to 176.11 (+3.95 shipping)

Certainly seems a lot of phone for the money..

The Doogee Mix is on Amazon and has Custom Roms
    Might be another option to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

If I buy a Xiaomi handset do I get a uk style 3 pin plug.
    Looking on geekbuying, there is the following note:
    1 x EU Power adapter (A right AC Adapter will be sent as your shipping country)

However, most of the other websites I checked such as BangGood and AliExpress either do not state this or supply an EU adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

I bought a Xiaomi redmi 4X last week from Banggood - Global version,
    to be honest i couldn't have given two ****es what plug came with it - I don't remember even considering it.
    I am falling over plugs and tripping over usb cables here in my house.

Your wan/man emailed me telling me that they didn't have a EU plug and would I accept a $2 dollar refund to make up for it.
    I agreed and instructed him/her to do this
    The cheeecky little fecker lodged €1 as a refund - but i let it go.

Dear Customer
    Thank you for your shopping at Geekbuying.
    Your phone is available now,
    We really apologize that only the Travel Power Adaptor with UK Socket Plug couldn't pass our strict quality test, the next batch will need 10 days.
    So would you like us to remove this only one Adaptor(you can buy it in your local place) and send your phone right away? And we will refund you 2$.
    Looking forward to your soonest reply. we apologize for this embarrassed inconvenience .
    Any questions, Please feel free to contact us
    Nice day
    Cecilia

If I buy a Xiaomi handset do I get a uk style 3 pin plug.
    Looking on geekbuying, there is the following note:
    1 x EU Power adapter (A right AC Adapter will be sent as your shipping country)

However, most of the other websites I checked such as BangGood and AliExpress either do not state this or supply an EU adapter.
    The Phone will prob come with an Xiaomi  EU Power adapter , and geekbuying will also send a third party  adapter, which converts 2 pin to 3.  I would be careful using the third party  adapter, some of the cheaper ones are dangerous 

Suckit wrote: »
    The Doogee Mix is on Amazon and has Custom Roms
    Might be another option to look at.

Cheers,

My phone made a Lazarus recovery after a night in a bag of rice on the radiator.
    Will be following this thread closely though.

Not sure whether to retire my current phone and get something decent, or else get a cheap Chinese number as a backup..

Edit: great link to the xda review thanks- that whole forum looks to be a great resource for checking phone performance stats..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I bought a Xiaomi redmi 4X last week from Banggood - Global version,
    to be honest i couldn't have given two ****es what plug came with it - I don't remember even considering it.
    I am falling over plugs and tripping over usb cables here in my house.

Your wan/man emailed me telling me that they didn't have a EU plug and would I accept a $2 dollar refund to make up for it.
    I agreed and instructed him/her to do this
    The cheeecky little fecker lodged €1 as a refund - but i let it go.

Dear Customer
    We really apologize that only the Travel Power Adaptor with UK Socket Plug couldn't pass our strict quality test, the next batch will need 10 days.
    So would you like us to remove this only one Adaptor(you can buy it in your local place) and send your phone right away? And we will refund you 2$.
    Looking forward to your soonest reply. we apologize for this embarrassed inconvenience .
    Any questions, Please feel free to contact us
    Nice day
    Cecilia

Snap.

Dear < my name >
    Any questions, Please feel free to contact us.

Cecilia
    Customer Service Representative
    Geekbuying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Maze Alpha is still going strong.
    The screen is stunning.
    It's pretty responsive, compares very well to my Nexus 6p.
    Since I got the official case it's much more comfortable to hold, as the slick back and the weight of the device made it a cert to be dropped.
    The lack of an oleophobic coating on the screen is a drag, and the speaker is not great. The camera is less of an issue for me tbh, it's serviceable at present.
    I have it running Google Now over the existing lightly customised Android 7.0 with updates still incoming.
    Android 8.0 is apparently on the way.

The Meizu M6 Note is interesting.
    I have used Flyme OS and while i did get used to it pretty quickly, it is a pain in the ass. They had the option of Ubuntu on a phone or two a while back. I wonder will this get Sailfish. If it does, i am guessing it will be wide open for a lot of custom roms.
    I do not think i am too keen on it with Flyme.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-meizu-m6-note3gb-32gb

Camera looks good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ddx05

Does anybody know if the Xiaomi MI A1 supports the Irish LTE Bands? And if so, which website would be the best place to buy it when the phone is released? I've been looking at Honorbuy but I'm new to buying Chinese phones and I'm not sure which sites are trustworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Yeah the MI A1 supports the Irish LTE bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

ddx05 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the Xiaomi MI A1 supports the Irish LTE Bands? And if so, which website would be the best place to buy it when the phone is released? I've been looking at Honorbuy but I'm new to buying Chinese phones and I'm not sure which sites are trustworthy.

If you read the first post there is a list of recommended sellers

Honorbuy are fine and ship from Europe so no extra charges but they are currently very expensive for that phone €225 plus around 30 shipping fee compared to around €185 and free shipping on Geekbuying but with a chance of being hit for customs and a long enough wait to get the phone

Honorbuy seem to have stock, most of the Chinese sites are presale so if you want it quickly and dont mind paying over the odds then they are the choice

Hongkong Goldway on Aliexpress claim to have stock (black only) can be got duty free using the DHL shipping option works out at €237 shipped

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-MiA1-Mobile-Phone-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core/32830253938.html?dp=d23bee8d11a8d7ee85987eb9fddc0464&af=329643&cv=47843&afref=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.kimovil.com%252Fto%252FMT9ZM4&mall_affr=pr3&aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1506244067419&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=7c1a53510ed240cf9c02fd130a082a1b-1506244067419-07147-VnYZvQVf&terminal_id=6c3a6fb15a104a00bde32cf286e390e8

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just ordered a mi max 2 for the 2nsd time after my gearbest issues. Went with geekbuying, Italy stock, so hopefully I'll actually get it this time .

Just ordered a mi max 2 for the 2nsd time after my gearbest issues. Went with geekbuying, Italy stock, so hopefully I'll actually get it this time .

Geekbuying are okay, they are generally a little more expensive than the others (not always). I am convinced that there is an American funding and helping pricing there somewhere :) - More importantly, their customer support reply with questions that are relative to your problem(s) and they do actually try to fix any issues. (Which should be normal).

I did not see your Gearbest issues, hope all was sorted eventually. Gearbest are relatively new. roughly three years old, and in that time they have created a lot of problems I do not trust them at all. I think everyone is best avoiding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Just want to thank all the very knowledgeable posters on this thread for their help and advice. Not much good at the tech stuff meself but happy to recount my purchase experience, if it helps someone else out.

Bought the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 from https://www.honorbuy.com/ and am very happy with the phone. Phone cost €173 for the 4gb RAM 64GB ROM and was €30 to deliver so €203 in total. Ordered the phone on a Thursday and it arrived on the Tuesday, sent from their Italian warehouse via Germany. Even with an error in my address ( sorted out with a phone call to DHL after I saw the phone was on hold in "tracking" ) I still had the phone in 4 business days. Charger came with an EU plug but the adapter only costs me €3.50.

Glad I discovered this forum and definitely would never have known much about Chinese phones had I not found it. Group hug :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Squiggle wrote:
    and am very happy with the phone. Phone cost €173 for the 4gb RAM 64GB ROM and was €30 to deliver so €203 in total. Ordered the phone on a Thursday and it arrived on the Tuesday, sent from their Italian warehouse via Germany. Even with an error in my address ( sorted out with a phone call to DHL after I saw the phone was on hold in "tracking" ) I still had the phone in 4 business days. Charger came with an EU plug but the adapter only costs me €3.50.

Addresses always seem to be wrong for some reason, happens me and a friend of mine that bought from that site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Addresses always seem to be wrong for some reason, happens me and a friend of mine that bought from that site
    Happened me too when I ordered my Xioami Mi Max 2. The address was just down as Dublin. Nothing else
    I had to phone Dhl a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nuff

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. Ive never bought a chinese phone before. I'm looking to change from my Samsung Note 4 and cant afford to pay 1000 euro for the Note 8. Ive been looking at the Redmi note 4 and the Redmi note 4x. Ideally I'm thinking the note 4x is preferential to the note 4 but is the note 4 4gb ram 64gb rom better than the 4x 3gb ram 32gb rom version?

is there anything else in the 200 euro price range I should be considering? Ive been reading as many recommendations and reviews as I can and that's whats led me to the Redmi as an option so any advice is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 nuff

nuff wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. Ive never bought a chinese phone before. I'm looking to change from my Samsung Note 4 and cant afford to pay 1000 euro for the Note 8. Ive been looking at the Redmi note 4 and the Redmi note 4x. Ideally I'm thinking the note 4x is preferential to the note 4 but is the note 4 4gb ram 64gb rom better than the 4x 3gb ram 32gb rom version?

is there anything else in the 200 euro price range I should be considering? Ive been reading as many recommendations and reviews as I can and that's whats led me to the Redmi as an option so any advice is appreciated.

Just found a previous discussion on this in this thread. Apolicies for the repetition. Just looking at the Mi A1 as well 🀔. My confusion continues to grow. Not sure which one to get although the 4x is out as I can't find one in stock with band 20.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement