Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

j@utis wrote: »
    How much was it in total with the shipping? Thanks!

Just click Add to Cart??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

j@utis wrote: »
    How much was it in total with the shipping? Thanks!

Came to 202 delivered. Should have it today. I'll use it over the weekend and report back if you like.

I'm going from a Samsung s5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Autochange wrote:
    Came to 202 delivered. Should have it today. I'll use it over the weekend and report back if you like.

Please do! Am thinking king of this phone as a replacement for my Huawei G7. Am free from my present contract at the end of the month and definitely don't want to get caught up in another 24 month set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    That's a gorgeous phone.

That it is, but doesn't have NFC. seems the PRO silver edition so going to wait for that, but it is simply gorgeous and very good spec other than NFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

First full day with my mi max 2 and loving it. I've gone from my ageing galaxy note 4 that shut off at around 20% and needed a full charge every day by about 3 or 4 to having 67% left now. The missus and my eldest have redmi note 4x's so I've used miui before and I'm ok with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭chrisire

eamonnq wrote: »
    Yeah, looks great (on paper ) have been resisting it for a while now, but apparently the first batches are shipping now, so will see how it pans out.

Have to wait for a few end-user reviews that don't contain links to Gearbest or the likes.

Is it only 720p?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

nuff wrote:
    Just ordered Mi A1 from geekbuying.com - will be waiting a while for delivery but hoping its good!

Great info on this thread. Thanks for all the advice. will post my thoughts when I get it.
    Any idea how much extra this will cost if it is stopped by customs? I am tempted to order also but worried about the potential extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

dakid wrote:
    Any idea how much extra this will cost if it is stopped by customs? I am tempted to order also but worried about the potential extra cost.

23% plus whatever handling fee the courier adds on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eoferrall wrote: »
    That it is, but doesn't have NFC. seems the PRO silver edition so going to wait for that, but it is simply gorgeous and very good spec other than NFC!

Actually I will probably go for the PRO myself too, ( if I do give in to temptation ), but might avoid it altogether and get something with a Snapdragon, depending on reports on GPS performance on the S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

chrisire wrote: »
    Is it only 720p?

From Kimovil :
    Diagonal 5.99"
    Type LCD IPS
    Resolution 720 x 1440 px

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Actually I will probably go for the PRO myself too, ( if I do give in to temptation ), but might avoid it altogether and get something with a Snapdragon, depending on reports on GPS performance on the S2.

Yeah the GPS would be something to consider. Have a Mate S currently and GPS is fine most of the time, but in every journal will drop GPS and you need to back out of maps and start again, annoying when you're the only one in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Went to purchase the Note 4 3GB/32GB from TomTop - however their spec listing shows incomplete 4G frequencies:

https://www.tomtop.com/p-pz0086gy-eu-2.html
    4G FDD-LTE B3 / B5
    TDD-LTE: B40
    3G WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100MHz
    2G GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900M

I'm not willing to pay out until I see in writing that the correct bands are listed.
    I had it at a good deal. It was £133, but I found a 5% off token and then I got 200 points credit - which bround the handset down to £125 all in. Although there is the issue of importing from China.

Geekbuying have the handset in HK for £120 - although I've read a lot of bad reviews about them so hesitant to use.

I was looking on Honourbuy for a gray Note4, but they only have the 4GB/64GB version which coms in at £150 - with a hefty £25 for P&P. I could only find a $5 off voucher for the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

First full day with my mi max 2 and loving it. I've gone from my ageing galaxy note 4 that shut off at around 20% and needed a full charge every day by about 3 or 4 to having 67% left now. The missus and my eldest have redmi note 4x's so I've used miui before and I'm ok with it.

Anyone plz pm or directly here tell me what customs charged,if unluckily got caught,thanks in advanced

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Is it okay to purchase from these sellers using a Credit Card or should we only be using Paypal?

Pay Pal definitely for me,safer,and redress if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Anyone plz pm or directly here tell me what customs charged,if unluckily got caught,thanks in advanced

23% of total cost plus €10 handling charge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Get the total cost of the phone plus shipping

Multiply by 1.23

+15

That's your final price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

wiz569 wrote: »
    23% of total cost plus €10 handling charge

23% plus €7 for me through An Post last February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

LEIN wrote: »
    23% plus €7 for me through An Post last February.

Think the handling charge has gone up to €10

• Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Purchased a ulefone tiger for my young lad yesterday, €77. Very decent spec for the price, from ulefone official aliexpress.
    I'll keep you updated as to customs, delivery times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Never buy on presell, no matter how tempting, better to wait until the phone is released and see how other people get on with it first, although maybe Xiaomi are one of the better ones to be taking a bit of a chance on.

Am trying to stop myself from buying the Umidigi S2 on presell.......

http://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_s2_activity.html

If it was being supplied by someone other than GB, I probably would have bough already (even though I know I shouldn't buy on pre-sell).

It is also on Banggood https://www.banggood.com/UMIDIGI-S2-6-inch-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Helio-P20-Octa-core-2_3GHz-4G-Smartphone-p-1200708.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

There isn't a need, some people don't like it though.

If she doesn't like it, install Google Now Launcher or Nova and see if that helps.

If she still doesn't like it, I'd look at a custom ROM.

I installed Arrow Launcher to day & quite like it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thinking of shifting on the Maze Alpha.
    As much as I like it, and I do, I think I might go back to the dark side of paying for something via contract again....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Thinking of shifting on the Maze Alpha.
    As much as I like it, and I do, I think I might go back to the dark side of paying for something via contract again....

Why's that out of curiousity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll tell you the truth.
    I do some painting in my spare time, I just finished a landscape the other day and I normally take a shot of it as a record of the work.
    Try as I might the Maze Alpha camera just wouldn't take an accurate photo of the painting, the colour reproduction was just slightly off.
    Now, no doubt some adjusting of settings might correct this issue, but I then took a photo instead with my son's Nexus 5 and it was fine the first time, no adjustments necessary.
    That's the moment that I needed to change handset.
    Outside photos, day time and night, have been fine, but this was indoors with artificial light and I couldn't get it to work as well as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

i read if you download a different camera app it performs better might be worth a shot?

i use the camera quite a bit for the kids I'm hoping it isn't too bad...

mine is in NL at the moment waiting on UPS. I'll keep ye posted on what i think of the phone

my note has developed the known emmc chip issue. i'm raging didn't know such a thing existed. just over a year and a half old!! I'll never spend that money on a phone again. I'm chasing samsung at the moment but I'm not holding my breath. just as well I ordered the alpha, it completely gave up the ghost on sat morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I'll tell you the truth. I do some painting in my spare time, I just finished a landscape the other day and I normally take a shot of it as a record of the work. Try as I might the Maze Alpha camera just wouldn't take an accurate photo of the painting, the colour reproduction was just slightly off. Now, no doubt some adjusting of settings might correct this issue, but I then took a photo instead with my son's Nexus 5 and it was fine the first time, no adjustments necessary. That's the moment that I needed to change handset. Outside photos, day time and night, have been fine, but this was indoors with artificial light and I couldn't get it to work as well as it should.

Try a different camera app? Sometimes it's the post processing the app does by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll tell you the truth.
    I do some painting in my spare time, I just finished a landscape the other day and I normally take a shot of it as a record of the work.
    Try as I might the Maze Alpha camera just wouldn't take an accurate photo of the painting, the colour reproduction was just slightly off.
    Now, no doubt some adjusting of settings might correct this issue, but I then took a photo instead with my son's Nexus 5 and it was fine the first time, no adjustments necessary.
    That's the moment that I needed to change handset.
    Outside photos, day time and night, have been fine, but this was indoors with artificial light and I couldn't get it to work as well as it should.

Check the white balance setting and adjust to indoor lighting if necessary.

I wonder if the phone is smart enough to think it is outdoors but too dumb to realise it's not. :pac:

I don't know.
    I don't ask for much from a camera but this is important, as I use it as a record of my paintings.
    I'll stick on Adverts, see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

i would have bought it off you if i hadn't ordered my own one... typical

• Advertisement

That's unfortunate, this comes with the official case fitted too.
    Also, I've the screen protector on it.
    Like I said, a really nice phone but the camera let's it down a bit.
    And the same camera is in other devices with no issues, so it's a pity it hasn't been updated into expected quality.

If anyone wants to suggests a decent camera app, I'd be grateful. The one that comes installed and the Google camera app are the ones tried so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement