Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

is it worth waiting for the redmi note 5 at this stage? due to be out soon.

dual camera
    fast charging
    nicer design (less bezels etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

About €40 I would think.

Are ya joking?

I've sent 5 or 6 phones back, €15 maximum

Got two back working okay, got partial refunds for the rest

Are ya joking?

do you use registered post or non-registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are ya joking?

That's standard post? I guess it must be reliable so far?

glasso wrote: »
    do you use registered post or non-registered?

Registered

Are you pricing from a courier Kenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Registered

Are you pricing from a courier Kenny?

Yeah, any tracked option I could see was much more expensive.

I returned a phone non-registered to China. something like 7 euro I think through an post as a packet. shouldn't be an issue unless you think they might say that it never arrived. and this was gearbest who don't have the best rep. got my refund no issue.

standard rates

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/PostalRates/Standard+Post.htm

was something like a bit over twice that for tracked

international tracked

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Security/Registered+Post+International.htm

but it does say that with an post registered international

After you post:

"You can track your post online, up to despatch from Ireland.
    Where information is not available online delivery confirmation is available from Customer Service 01 705 7600."

that you can't track after going outside Ireland so I'm not sure that it's even worth it.

I just went standard post and got a receipt of postage which I took a picture of and sent to gearbest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I see a good few Redmii Note 4 phones on Adverts, any pointers on which one to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I see a good few Redmii Note 4 phones on Adverts, any pointers on which one to go for?

just watch them, some might be selling them because they don't have band 20.

Unless the saving is huge, I'd just buy a new one (4/64Gb would be my recommendation).

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Is there anyway to wipe phone data on the phone if I cannot get into the recovery mode to wipe/factory reset my phone? None of the recovery mode buttons work for me, that is, holding down power and volume up. It won't boot either. I don't want to return it to China with all my info still on it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

You could try :
    connect phone to laptop or PC with USB cable, you might see the Phone as an external drive, use Win explorer to delete , folders , files etc

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    Is there anyway to wipe phone data on the phone if I cannot get into the recovery mode to wipe/factory reset my phone? None of the recovery mode buttons work for me, that is, holding down power and volume up. It won't boot either. I don't want to return it to China with all my info still on it. Thanks.

Might be power and vol down, power and both vol buttons, or maybe the home button is included too.

Is the phone completely dead? I've had phones return to life after 24hrs or so on charge.

After that, you can remotely sign out of most email accounts, Facebook and such to clean up a little bit without using the phone.

You can also use Googles Find My Device app to remotely wipe the phone, its probably too late for this one however but may be useful in future.

Does Windows detect the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Yup sure I'd say 75% of the posters here have one.....I myself am not a sheep :D

I have 2 Meizu phones :P

(but plan to jump to Xiaomi)

Might be power and vol down, power and both vol buttons, or maybe the home button is included too.

Is the phone completely dead? I've had phones return to life after 24hrs or so on charge.

After that, you can remotely sign out of most email accounts, Facebook and such to clean up a little bit without using the phone.

You can also use Googles Find My Device app to remotely wipe the phone, its probably too late for this one however but may be useful in future.

Does Windows detect the phone?

No, windows is not detecting it either. It tries to charge, the battery icon will display but immediately disappears from the screen, and it continues to do this for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

What model phone is it? I tried to look back and see if you mentioned it, but i am on a very old PC here and scrolling is a headmush. The broadband here is also very bad.

Suckit wrote: »
    What model phone is it? I tried to look back and see if you mentioned it, but i am on a very old PC here and scrolling is a headmush. The broadband here is also very bad.

Thanks. It's an UMI plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Anyone know much about the Meizu M6 Note? Seems to be a challenger to the Redmi Note 4.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Anyone know much about the Meizu M6 Note? Seems to be a challenger to the Redmi Note 4.

I was looking at it.
    I am not keen on Flyme, although you could get used to it. I am keeping an eye for roms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nuff

gooner99 wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeah I've posted and read about the different bands, etc on here. I am torn between the Redmi Note 4 and the Mi A1 at the minute. I like the big battery of the Note 4 and the stock Android and gorilla glass on the A1. Otherwise both phones are great value for money. I will probably wait until after Golden week, by then some boardsies might have the A1 delivered and reviewed.

I've the A1 ordered. Will post when I get it. I was torn between the note 4 and the A1 but I haven't had MIUI before so just chose the stock android.

It's 2 weeks til it's shipped yet though so will let you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

nuff wrote: »
    I've the A1 ordered. Will post when I get it. I was torn between the note 4 and the A1 but I haven't had MIUI before so just chose the stock android.

It's 2 weeks til it's shipped yet though so will let you know.

I hadn't used miui either. Only stock android. Iv had my note 4 a week. Miui is fantastic while quite similar. Defiantly not something to be concerned about .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Autochange wrote: »
    I hadn't used miui either. Only stock android. Iv had my note 4 a week. Miui is fantastic while quite similar. Defiantly not something to be concerned about .

How's the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

No, windows is not detecting it either. It tries to charge, the battery icon will display but immediately disappears from the screen, and it continues to do this for hours.

Can you adb into it?

Thanks. It's an UMI plus.
    I am guessing that you have tried these:
    ● Connect the phone with original charger, and press the power button for 30s to activate the battery. Then check it if the phone can boot after charging for 30 minutes.
    ● Drain the battery and change another effective USB cable or power charger to charge for a while (10 minutes and more). Then try to boot the phone.
    ● Try to reset factory settings to see if the app compatibility problem. Hold and press the Power button and Volume Up key to enter the Recovery Mode, choose and confirm "double wipe", that is, Wipe Data / Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition, then reboot the system by clicking "Reboot System Now".
    ● The above methods are invalid, contact the after-service and send it back to the factory for a check and repair.

If you cannot get any response from the first two, try a different charger, and charge it again for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭baldshin

Bought Ciderman's Maze Alpha, and I'm loving it. Seems a big upgrade from my Redmi 3 pro/prime!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

baldshin wrote: »
    Bought Ciderman's Maze Alpha, and I'm loving it. Seems a big upgrade from my Redmi 3 pro/prime!

I hate you :p

i'm still waiting on mine it looks like it hasn't shipped yet, raging after paying for expedited shipping. plus I've had no phone for over a week pain in the ass. regretting ordering from tomtop...should have chanced gearbest i think...i was just afraid after all the negative reviews

Suckit wrote: »
    I am guessing that you have tried these:

If you cannot get any response from the first two, try a different charger, and charge it again for 30 minutes.

Thanks so much. I finally got it into recovery mode and wiped it after trying numerous times. Almost gave up on it. So just going to return it now and see what they can do. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm very grateful to ye all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Made the plunge and bought a Redmi Note 4 and I am really impressed. 100 times better than my old Vodafone Ultra 7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

James__10 wrote: »
    Made the plunge and bought a Redmi Note 4 and I am really impressed. 100 times better than my old Vodafone Ultra 7.[/QU

fantastic phone for 200!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Can anyone recommend a Chinese phone for me with a decent camera in not so great light? I was going to buy a moto 5s plus but there seems to be a lot more value in Chinese phones.
    Budget 250 to 300ish.
    Must support the rural LTE bands here, band 20 I think. . thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

loopymum wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Chinese phone for me with a decent camera in not so great light? I was going to buy a moto 5s plus but there seems to be a lot more value in Chinese phones.
    Budget 250 to 300ish.
    Must support the rural LTE bands here, band 20 I think. . thanks

Cameras are probably the biggest downside of any of the cheap chinese phones, am waiting to order an Xiaomi MI A1 though which has the dual camera set up, so will see how good it really is, when it becomes generally available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement