Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Quick questions lads.
    Gonna order this for a mate from HK goldway
    Original Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 625 Octa Core 5.5" FHD Fingerprint ID 4100mAh Battery
    http://s.aliexpress.com/V3UjUJRz
    (from AliExpress Android)
    I've ordered from goldway before and there was no customs but this one in the description doesn't say about no customs with dhl( little bit paranoid I know :p).
    Also is the GPS good on this as my mate needs one with a good one?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

With DHL you will 100% get hit, and you will also get hit with DHL handling fee of €15.

Unless it specifically says otherwise. For example (you may have to look around the store), DHL + no customs fees here
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Redmi-Note-4x/3010045_511502819.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Suckit wrote: »
    With DHL you will 100% get hit, and you will also get hit with DHL handling fee of €15.

Unless it specifically says otherwise. For example (you may have to look around the store), DHL + no customs fees here
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Redmi-Note-4x/3010045_511502819.html

Yep, HK Goldway offer the same option, pay for DHL shipping and they ship through the UK and then on to you. Assume that the VAT gets paid in the UK at that stage or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

honda boi wrote: »
    Quick questions lads.
    Gonna order this for a mate from HK goldway
    Original Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Mobile Phone Snapdragon 625 Octa Core 5.5" FHD Fingerprint ID 4100mAh Battery
    http://s.aliexpress.com/V3UjUJRz
    (from AliExpress Android)
    I've ordered from goldway before and there was no customs but this one in the description doesn't say about no customs with dhl( little bit paranoid I know :p).
    Also is the GPS good on this as my mate needs one with a good one?
    Thanks

No BAND 20 for LTE here on that device!

You should be looking at the Global Redmi Note 4 which has it, and is the same phone just with extra bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

I have my Mi5 for about a year. Great phone. Unfortunately I may have dropped it one too many times and it has issues- screen doesn't wake up most of the time when I press the button. Have tried repairing it but no joy. I've bit the bullet and ordered a Mi6 from Honorbuy. €386 with express EU shipping(3-5 days). Hoping it arrives before I go to the States on Friday week.

I was pleasantly surprised that my phone arrived this morning. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. It looks very nice. I'll try not to drop this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

I bought one from Hong Kong Goldway. 4gb and 64gb cheapest one on offer. Great make of phone as we also have the Note 3 Pro.
    $203 ($178 + $23 dhl) = 172 euros with delivery and no cutoms if you use Revolut. Recieved in 7 days. 
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Qualcomm-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625/32805032186.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3jgJmR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

PadraigL wrote: »
    I bought one from Hong Kong Goldway. 4gb and 64gb cheapest one on offer. Great make of phone as we also have the Note 3 Pro.
    $203 ($178 + $23 dhl) = 172 euros with delivery and no cutoms if you use Revolut. Recieved in 7 days. 
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Qualcomm-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625/32805032186.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3jgJmR

Are you using it with the stock os? How do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Yea using stock and I find it fine. Just don't use the Xiaomi (Mi) apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Sweet gonna order that one for my mate.
    GPS good on this do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭strawdog

Yea using stock and I find it fine. Just don't use the Xiaomi (Mi) apps.

Has everyone who got a note 4 changed to stock Android? Have mine a week, not really seeing what the problem is with what's on it, but been fairly busy so not had time to play around with phone much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Why does Revolut avoid customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Why does Revolut avoid customs?

It doesn't, it gives a better exchange rate. I think the poster is mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Hi all,

Anyone have any problems with security verification on Aliexpress? Set up an account last night with the intention of purchasing a Xiaomi Mi A1, but logging in today I get an error saying they've noticed unusual activity and I need to verify my email address, but the login page just sits on "Checking your security product settings..." and can't get any further. Have tried two browsers, so just wondering if anyone else is having issues at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hi all,

Anyone have any problems with security verification on Aliexpress? Set up an account last night with the intention of purchasing a Xiaomi Mi A1, but logging in today I get an error saying they've noticed unusual activity and I need to verify my email address, but the login page just sits on "Checking your security product settings..." and can't get any further. Have tried two browsers, so just wondering if anyone else is having issues at the moment?

I haven't. Ordered something today all went fine. What about setting up a new account and ordering then?

GBX wrote: »
    I haven't. Ordered something today all went fine. What about setting up a new account and ordering then?

Must be just me so! I was hoping to get back in to the account as I'd sent HK Goldway a question, and wanted to see if they'd responded. Might do as you say though, and just set up another account with a different email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

a family member needs a phone asap, any mid range unit would suffice but urgent delivery required

which site would be the best ?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

orm0nd wrote: »
    a family member needs a phone asap, any mid range unit would suffice but urgent delivery required

thanks in advance

Loads of sites in the OP, go for DHL. There's a few Aliexpress sellers than give fast duty free shipping too, read the last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

orm0nd wrote: »

thanks in advance

What about a Vodafone Smart Ultra 7 for €159? You could pick it up tomorrow.
    Unlock codes are about €3.

So i've just bitten the bullet and ordered a Xiaomi Mi A1 from HK Goldway. Hoping it comes relatively quick as it's driving me mad being back on my Galaxy S3 temporarily!

Looking for a recommendation, was looking at the note 4 but need

-fast charging
    -NFC
    -Band 20

Mi max 2 is probably too big, any other options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Why do you need NFC on a Chinese phone? Most have issues with Google play accepting them for android pay, or did the last time I looked.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Why do you need NFC on a Chinese phone? Most have issues with Google play accepting them for android pay, or did the last time I looked.

I used it a fair bit on my old Samsung for topping up leap card & payments. If I could get the band 20 and quick charge I'd probably live without the NFC. Note 4 doesn't support quick charge though, or does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Vernee Mix 2 is available for Pre-Order now and looks fairly decent. https://www.tomtop.com/p-pz0166b-eu.html

Not dispatched until November 15th though :eek:
    It might arrive in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭MickH503

So i've just bitten the bullet and ordered a Xiaomi Mi A1 from HK Goldway. Hoping it comes relatively quick as it's driving me mad being back on my Galaxy S3 temporarily!

Should take 6 days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The Vernee Mix 2 is available for Pre-Order now and looks fairly decent. https://www.tomtop.com/p-pz0166b-eu.html

Hang on, is that running stock android?

Ok I see now, its running a modified stock. As an aside, glass backs do look lovely but they are a terrible terrible idea for something as easily dropped as a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thats a lovely unit. Decent spec for the price too! Hmmm ... bite the bullet or not :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Best of luck with it. I'm close to getting this here as well! Let us know how you get on and what you think of the phone!

GBX wrote: »
    Thats a lovely unit. Decent spec for the price too! Hmmm ... bite the bullet or not :/

Yeah very tempted, just trying to find out what GPS performance on the P25 is like. Phone is listed as having Band 20 so would work fine over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Can anyone recommend a Xiaomi with a smaller screen than the A1 or Note4?

Around the 5" mark with all the required bands for Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement