Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

fixxxer wrote: »
    They have an EU section, so if it's ordered from there, there will be no custom charges.

Just looking at EU shipping on Honorbuy now. When I select Ireland it raises the shipping to $34.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

gooner99 wrote:
    Just looking at EU shipping on Honorbuy now. When I select Ireland it raises the shipping to $34.

Yeah that sounds about right. They are never the cheapest but they are usually the fastest. Last time I ordered a phone from them on a Monday I had it in my days in 3 days.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Bahanaman wrote: »
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1017631.html?wid=4

I know it's Gearbest and people have issues with them but this axon 7 deal looks great.

Sure does. Looks like it's priced like the Axon 7 mini. I was waiting for the LeEco Le Max 2 to come back in stock, but I might just jump on this instead.

What's the best way to ship from Gearbest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

There has to be a catch!

Yeah that sounds about right. They are never the cheapest but they are usually the fastest. Last time I ordered a phone from them on a Monday I had it in my days in 3 days.

Cheers. Don't seem to be much more expensive for the mi a1 compared to hong kong goldway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

OkeyDoke12 wrote:
    Android 7.0

OkeyDoke12 wrote:
    Android 7.0

What version of miui is it and what is the build number. It could be a vendor installed software which are prone to being buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sure does. Looks like it's priced like the Axon 7 mini. I was waiting for the LeEco Le Max 2 to come back in stock, but I might just jump on this instead.

I do not think i would go for it. Gearbest are known for clones/fakes and then not wanting to refund full amount if you do notice.
    You do not need to look far to find an example, here is a random one.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-4/general/gearbest-review-anti-counter-fiat-label-t3381864

It may be okay, but i doubt it is legit. The Goophone X might be a better purchase. At least you know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gaw_ wrote: »
    Was a very tough decision for me choosing between the Redmi Note 4 and the Mi A1. The Note 4 has a larger community, a significantly bigger battery and some cool MIUI 8 features. Where as the Mi A1 has the better camera and OS support.

Decided to go with the Mi A1! Bought it through HonorBuy as many people here have already commented on their super fast shipping - and I need it before next Thursday. I'm looking forward to it, will keep ya guys updated as to how I get on.

All Xiaomis have pretty good OS support, some of us don't like MiUi but I think it needs to be stressed that its a personal preference. I've seen a few comments recently that seem to be from a POV that MiUi is seen as crap, which isn't the case at all.

I wouldn't buy from Gearbest, nor would I buy a LeEco, company is totally under iirc.

Nor would I buy a Goophone like you've been recommended

Suckit wrote: »
    I do not think i would go for it. Gearbest are known for clones/fakes and then not wanting to refund full amount if you do notice.
    You do not need to look far to find an example, here is a random one.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-4/general/gearbest-review-anti-counter-fiat-label-t3381864

It may be okay, but i doubt it is legit. The Goophone X might be a better purchase. At least you know what to expect.

There's a reason most of the regulars here and in other areas of boards were vehemently against Gearbest getting a sponsored forum here.

Goophone are iPhone clones, pretty sure rule 1 of the OP is don't buy clones. They're by and large absolute dirt.

Also the X has crap specs but that's another discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

What version of miui is it and what is the build number. It could be a vendor installed software which are prone to being buggy

Miui global 8.5 stable 8.5.8.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I wouldn't buy from Gearbest, nor would I buy a LeEco, company is totally under iirc.

I don't think he was recommending buying the Goophone, I think it was more that you may as well buy a Goophone as a buy a dodgy ZTE AXON, as in you know the Goophone will probably be a pile of crap.

As eamonnq pointed out, i was not recommending a Goophone. I was pointing out that it may probably be a better option than the Axon from Gearbest. I would have thought most people would know exactly what a Goophone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

OkeyDoke12 wrote:

OkeyDoke12 wrote:

Thats the correct software. Is it your phone that is crashing/rebooting or is it just the podcast apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

In a straight shoot out between the MI A1 and the Redmi Note 4, which would you go for?
    Coming from an ultra 6, camera on it has been ok, so anything comparable will be ok.
    Either of the Xiaomi similar?
    Much difference between Miui and stock android?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Incidentally, I installed Lineage OS 14.1 on a Redmond note 4 and one of the big improvements is the camera. The right software really does make a difference. You don't suddenly get flagship levels of detail but it is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Incidentally, I installed Lineage OS 14.1 on a Redmond note 4 and one of the big improvements is the camera. The right software really does make a difference. You don't suddenly get flagship levels of detail but it is better.

Do you mean Redmi Note 4, if you want even better camera, why not try: -

Google Camera [HDR+, 60FPS, 42Mbit/sec] [Updated 31/8]

Or from a thread for your device: -

Google Camera with HDR+ working on mido! (Updated 171021)

I hardly ever use the camera on my RN3, so don't know if it improves things.

Just pulled the trigger on the Xiaomi Mi A1 Global Version. Bought it on Honorbuy using their EU shipping.

Compared it between Honorbuy and Hongkong Goldway (Aliexpress), as they both seem to be reliable going by posts on here. Honorboy was coming in at $284.24 (Including shipping from the EU with DHL and also including a $5.75 voucher I found on the net) and Hongkong Goldway was coming in at $268.99 (Including shipping with DHL from Hongkong via the UK). I went with the slightly more expensive Honorbuy as I fancied the quicker EU shipping.

I paid by Paypal. If I had paid in Dollars on Honorbuy it would have come to €251.49 when checking out on Paypal, but I changed to Euro on Honorbuy and the total dropped to €247.29 and stayed at that when checking out on Paypal.

Will post my thoughts when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I went for the redmi note 4,was torn between this and the M1A1, latest deal on hukd for £130 on gearbest sealed it for me. Looking forward to getting it, time to start reading up on flashing again, I haven't a breeze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Is the Xiaomi Mi 4 still a good option?

Price would €110 including duty and shipping for 3GB 16GB Rom 801 Snapdragon

Would any of the current budget phone match or beat the Mi 4

I cannot find one that will specifically with camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

so I've nearly decided: Redmi 4 Prime: - 3GB /32GB 5" 1920x1080 screen 4100mAh batt. (with quick charge)

Doesn't have band 20, but I can live without it. Will probably root and stick custom rom on it as soon as I get it.

Ticks nearly all of the boxes for the person who'll be actually using it - i.e "decent small" screen and large battery (and for me; the specs! ). I've found it on aliexpress / hong kong goldway for 196 delivered via DHL

Before I take the plunge, is there any other quality phone that could best this for the price?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on the Xiaomi Mi A1 Global Version. Bought it on Honorbuy using their EU shipping.

Compared it between Honorbuy and Hongkong Goldway (Aliexpress), as they both seem to be reliable going by posts on here. Honorboy was coming in at $284.24 (Including shipping from the EU with DHL and also including a $5.75 voucher I found on the net) and Hongkong Goldway was coming in at $268.99 (Including shipping with DHL from Hongkong via the UK). I went with the slightly more expensive Honorbuy as I fancied the quicker EU shipping.

I paid by Paypal. If I had paid in Dollars on Honorbuy it would have come to €251.49 when checking out on Paypal, but I changed to Euro on Honorbuy and the total dropped to €247.29 and stayed at that when checking out on Paypal.

Will post my thoughts when it arrives.

Shipped out Today from Italy, expected delivery 31st.

For anyone that has setup their Mi A1, was there an option for Ireland when choosing language/region or did you select UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

gooner99 wrote: »
    Shipped out Today from Italy, expected delivery 31st.

For anyone that has setup their Mi A1, was there an option for Ireland when choosing language/region or did you select UK?

Looks like you'll get yours before me so! The main shipment from Hong Kong shipped out today, so looks like it might be with me by the end of next week! Mine was only about a fiver cheaper from HK Goldway, although I did order the case and screen protector with it too.

Looks like you'll get yours before me so! The main shipment from Hong Kong shipped out today, so looks like it might be with me by the end of next week! Mine was only about a fiver cheaper from HK Goldway, although I did order the case and screen protector with it too.

Yeah the shipping seems nice and fast. Would probably have it Monday if it wasn't for the bank holiday as it shipped Yesterday at 1pm, in Dublin this morning at 8am. Will you let us know what you think of the case and screen protector when you get it. From reading online it seems that a lot of the screen protectors are a bad fit.

That axon 7 can be got for €199 including dhl shipping with a code now on gearbest! Holy carp! Tempting to take the gamble...

That axon 7 can be got for €199 including dhl shipping with a code now on gearbest! Holy carp! Tempting to take the gamble...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Good news! Xiaomi is opening an online store in Spain on Nov 7th. Even if they dont ship to other countries its a good start, they asked where they should go next too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anything well under 200 and no bigger than 5" screen worth considering? No gaming.

Was looking at the Redmi 4x, looks to be lower spec than a Redmi 4 prime my partner has? Which is quite nice

Edit
    Will be replacing a Motorola g3

• Advertisement

It gets a bit boring when Xiaomi seems to always be the best option... :D
    But it does seem that way.

The Redmi 4X as mentioned, or maybe the Redmi 4 Pro.. Maybe.
    Also worth looking at are:
    Moto G5 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZCWGYB/
    Huawei Nova https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_nova-8284.php

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement