Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Any drawbacks with Xiaomi Mi A1.....from a "perfectionists" point of view? If this sounds stupid...apologies from a troglodyte!!!

There is no quick charge, low light photos aren't great, The navigation buttons are capacitive instead of on-screen, and they're in the wrong order. The colour balance in the photos isn't great so you do need to have decent light to get a good photo, otherwise it will be completely washed out. No image Stabilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

The Mi A1 will be $195 on Ali express come 11/11,so probably worth waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

For how many units though? Those 11.11 sales are a joke usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

The Mi A1 will be $195 on Ali express come 11/11,so probably worth waiting.

It would need to be one of the 'pre-paid' customs/vat sellers to make it worthwhile, as if you have to pay VAT on top of that price it would bring it back up to the HK Goldway type prices anyway.

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Any drawbacks with Xiaomi Mi A1.....from a "perfectionists" point of view? If this sounds stupid...apologies from a troglodyte!!!

No NFC either if you need that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

RossieMan wrote: »

2000. Global version

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

RossieMan wrote: »

They are a joke, but sometimes the item you are looking for/watching drops down to it's 'normal' or sale price for them, allowing you to buy it.

Prices definitely go up before the sales. Watching them the past few weeks for Black Friday i forgot about these sales.
    Some items that i bought for less than €10 over the past few weeks are currently over €15.
    Nonsense sale. So are they all. Realistically, they just get in the way of buying... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Had been wondering why the a1 prices seemed to be going up! Wonder what's the story with a possible note 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Vahevala wrote: »
    There is no quick charge, low light photos aren't great, The navigation buttons are capacitive instead of on-screen, and they're in the wrong order. The colour balance in the photos isn't great so you do need to have decent light to get a good photo, otherwise it will be completely washed out. No image Stabilisation.

Isn't the big advantage that it's supported by Google & will receive updates from them with no Chinese apps or bloatware ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Received my Mi A1 from Honorbuy Today. Very well packaged. Finally got a chance to set it up Tonight.

Initial thoughts (note this is me coming from a Samsung S4). Nice phone in black and it seems very well built. Large screen with a nice display. One slightly annoying thing is the navigation buttons are mixed up. Stock Android is great to use and the phone is nice and fast. English (Ireland) was an option on my device and the October update for Android was ready to download and install. Camera is not great in low indoor lighting, but I didn't change any settings. Will see how it is in natural daytime light. Tbh I don't use the camera a lot anyway, so not a big deal breaker for me. Overall a very nice phone for the money.

If you have any questions, fire away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

gooner99 wrote: »
    Received my Mi A1 from Honorbuy Today. Very well packaged. Finally got a chance to set it up Tonight.

Initial thoughts (note this is me coming from a Samsung S4). Nice phone in black and it seems very well built. Large screen with a nice display. One slightly annoying thing is the navigation buttons are mixed up. Stock Android is great to use and the phone is nice and fast. English (Ireland) was an option on my device and the October update for Android was ready to download and install. Camera is not great in low indoor lighting, but I didn't change any settings. Will see how it is in natural daytime light. Tbh I don't use the camera a lot anyway, so not a big deal breaker for me. Overall a very nice phone for the money.

If you have any questions, fire away.
    How long did it take to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

How long did it take to arrive?

I ordered with Honorbuy. Shipped last Thursday lunchtime. In Dublin Friday morning. But because of the Bank Holiday it didn't move again till Tuesday and I received it Today (Wednesday).

So I make it 1 or 2 days if not in a plus one area. Probably 3 days otherwise.

Which Redmi Note 4 works on 4g Three mobile. There is a selection here but I can't see the differences apart from price.

https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/product/xiaomi%20redmi%20note%204?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=xiaomi%20redmi%20note%204

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Discodog wrote: »
    Which Redmi Note 4 works on 4g Three mobile. There is a selection here but I can't see the differences apart from price.

https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/product/xiaomi%20redmi%20note%204?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=xiaomi%20redmi%20note%204

None of them and also they are Mediatek version, stay clear!
    Edit: - They will partially work but missing Band 20 (so only 4g in cities)

You should be looking for one with specs like this!

corkie wrote: »
    None of them and also they are Mediatek version, stay clear!
    Edit: - They will partially work but missing Band 20 (so only 4g in cities)

You should be looking for one with specs like this!

Will that work on 3g & 4g with Three mobile ?

Any disadvantage to getting this apart from 3gb instead of 4gb & 32 rather than 64 ?

https://thesolutionshop.global/product/redmi-note-4-3gb-32gb-international-version/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Never heard of those lads. They say they ship without customs as well!

PJOH wrote: »
    Need some help, got the Oukitel K3 , 2 weeks ago. Great phone, very happy with it.
    Only problem I have is that the micro usb connector for charging is the longer tip version, 8mm long. The normal one won't go in far enough to connect. Only have the original 1metre cable that came with the phone. Would like to have a longer version but can't seem to find on the web without costing a lot for postage. Anyone have this problem and is there any where I can get them. Thanks in advance.

I just read a review in detail about that phone. Some great pictures on the camera too.
    Is yours still running well?

I am thinking of getting it. I searched the forum and saw your post.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CellularOutfitter-Charge-Sync-Cable-Connector/dp/B075H3LBQK/

This is 7.5mm may be long enough - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NOHON-1-5M-LED-Smart-Light-Micro-USB-Data-Transfer-Charge-Cable-For-Android-Phone-Samsung/32679388440.html

I believe this to be 8mm, but i am not sure. You can ask the seller before purchase
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mcdodo-Kirsite-Cover-Data-Cable-Micro-USB-Cable-Fast-Charging-Data-Sync-Cable-1-1-5/32761036564.html

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Never heard of those lads. They say they ship without customs as well!

First time I looked it said fast ship from eu, now it says from Hong Kong

By the way, those wishing for a Xiaomi Spain may be disappointed. They have an online site in Finland & the prices are way above the Chinese price

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 64GB for a few weeks. I think the cheapest is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/32829158301.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ZFu7sq

DHL shipping claims that will be customs free. €185 all in.

Some voucher codes might knock a couple more euros off that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

By the way, those wishing for a Xiaomi Spain may be disappointed. They have an online site in Finland & the prices are way above the Chinese price

http://www.xiaomi-mi.net/ This one?

Xiaomi-us Finland
    c / o HS Security AB

I dont think they have an official Finnish site. Its not listed on their main site:

US
    Mainland China
    Hong Kong
    Taiwan
    Singapour
    Malaysia
    Philipines
    Indonesia
    Mena

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 64GB for a few weeks. I think the cheapest is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/32829158301.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ZFu7sq

DHL shipping claims that will be customs free. €185 all in.

Some voucher codes might knock a couple more euros off that.

Coming up as $185.99 or just under €160 for me

Any idea how fast delivery would be?

Edit: TopCashBack give 6.06% cashback for Ali Express

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Coming up as $185.99 or just under €160 for me

Any idea how fast delivery would be?

Edit: TopCashBack give 6.06% cashback for Ali Express

That is using the free-shipping option, but you would need to use the DHL option.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Had been wondering why the a1 prices seemed to be going up! Wonder what's the story with a possible note 5?

248 approx from Honorbuy or 218 approx from HK Goldway on aliexpress. Both shipping using DHL but Honorbuy might be a day or two quicker as they seem to ship from Italy.

I ordered from HK Goldway on a Wednesday, received it on the following Tuesday, (might have got it on Monday if it had not been for Ophelia!).

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

So guys any recommendations on phone with a 5'' screen ?

I've got the Maze Alpha and Xiaomi Note 4 for my sister. Now looking for something for my dad. he thinks the Xiaomi is too big.

Is there anything decent by Xiaomi in the 5'' or should I look at different brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭corkie

Will that work on 3g & 4g with Three mobile ?

Any disadvantage to getting this apart from 3gb instead of 4gb & 32 rather than 64 ?

https://thesolutionshop.global/product/redmi-note-4-3gb-32gb-international-version/

Same phone just less ram and storage. Both have BAND 20 which is required here for full LTE coverage.

Edit: - The price of 4gb|64 is not much more, and worth spending the extra bit. IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 notnurd

I have a Meizu Pro 6. Anyone looking to buy a good phone at a low cost.. I highly recommend it. The OS is unbelievably good, the camera is amazing but the battery not so much. The screen is the absolute best. I would recommend you go with the Plus for better battery.

notnurd wrote: »
    I have a Meizu Pro 6. Anyone looking to buy a good phone at a low cost.. I highly recommend it. The OS is unbelievably good, the camera is amazing but the battery not so much. The screen is the absolute best. I would recommend you go with the Plus for better battery.

Where oh where did you purchase it from and how much did it cost you, was delivery quick, and did you have to pay VAT/Customs when you received it ?

• Advertisement

While not a dealbreaker, i find Meizu Flyme OS a bit of a pain in the ass to use. Especially if you tend to use other phones.

According to Kimovil the cheapest for the
    Meizu Pro 6 Plus is €293 - https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-meizu-pro-6-plus
    Meizu Pro 6 is €254 - https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-meizu-pro-6
    Meizu Pro 6S is €244 - https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-meizu-pro-6s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement