Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Just got an update for miui 9 on my note 4. Anyone installed it yet?

Edit: updated a while ago. Seems faster, some new icons, nothing else major so far. Curious if battery stays solid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

corkie wrote: »
    Same phone just less ram and storage. Both have BAND 20 which is required here for full LTE coverage.

Edit: - The price of 4gb|64 is not much more, and worth spending the extra bit. IMO!

I would agree for some users but I would be happy with the performance of my old Nexus 5 16gb.

I am trying to find out the truth about shipping from this site ie where from & how long ?

https://thesolutionshop.global/product/redmi-note-4-3gb-32gb-international-version/

They seem unreliable & now say that the phone isn't available

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Coming up as $185.99 or just under €160 for me

Any idea how fast delivery would be?

Edit: TopCashBack give 6.06% cashback for Ali Express

One part of the listing says 4 -8 working days. Another part says 7 - 15 days.

So you could end up paying €22 more & not saving much time.

I would love to find a proper eu seller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭corkie

Discodog wrote: »
    I would agree for some users but I would be happy with the performance of my old Nexus 5 16gb.

I am trying to find out the truth about shipping from this site ie where from & how long ?

https://thesolutionshop.global/product/redmi-note-4-3gb-32gb-international-version/

They seem unreliable & now say that the phone isn't available

Shipping details : - https://thesolutionshop.global/shipping/

I just checked the site, and it looks like you can place an order for the product (Black Color). But if you can't they maybe temporarily out of stock!

I used that site as a quick way to show you the specs, never suggested you should buy from them. I have never used them myself. They have got good reviews on reddit and are good at communicating there.

If you have any other queries why not contact them: -
    https://thesolutionshop.global/support-contact/

Live chat is an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 b4dr1

gooner99 wrote: »
    I ordered with Honorbuy. Shipped last Thursday lunchtime. In Dublin Friday morning. But because of the Bank Holiday it didn't move again till Tuesday and I received it Today (Wednesday).

So I make it 1 or 2 days if not in a plus one area. Probably 3 days otherwise.

@gooner99 - was the phone packed brand new in the box or was it opened and tested prior to shipping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 b4dr1

eamonnq wrote: »
    248 approx from Honorbuy or 218 approx from HK Goldway on aliexpress. Both shipping using DHL but Honorbuy might be a day or two quicker as they seem to ship from Italy.

I ordered from HK Goldway on a Wednesday, received it on the following Tuesday, (might have got it on Monday if it had not been for Ophelia!).

@eamonnq was HK Goldway shipping the phone on factory package or was it opened prior to shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Lads i need a second phone around the 120/150 mark and have had a few Xiaomi products and was happy with them all. Is there any particular model on say gearbest that fits the budget?

Is the note 4 3gb/32gb a solid phone in that price range? E.g.
    https://www.gearbest.com/redmi-note-4-_gear/

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭shannonman81

As I posted in another forum I cracked the screen on my S7 edge. So I'm looking for a cheap phone to tie me over untill I fork out 280 euro to get it fixed.
    Im looking on gearbest and I've come across this one...
    What do ye think...I'm open to any suggestions around the 150 mark
    https://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_620672.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

5500 wrote: »
    Lads i need a second phone around the 120/150 mark and have had a few Xiaomi products and was happy with them all. Is there any particular model on say gearbest that fits the budget?

Is the note 4 3gb/32gb a solid phone in that price range? E.g.
    https://www.gearbest.com/redmi-note-4-_gear/
    As I posted in another forum I cracked the screen on my S7 edge. So I'm looking for a cheap phone to tie me over untill I fork out 280 euro to get it fixed.

Jesus, that crowd really have their teeth sunk well in around here these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You could sell the S7 and get a new OnePlus for cheaper than new phone and then replacing the screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was thinking the same. I would rather pay any amount extra (if that was the case) than use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

gooner99 wrote: »
    Received my Mi A1 from Honorbuy Today. Very well packaged. Finally got a chance to set it up Tonight.

Initial thoughts (note this is me coming from a Samsung S4). Nice phone in black and it seems very well built. Large screen with a nice display. One slightly annoying thing is the navigation buttons are mixed up. Stock Android is great to use and the phone is nice and fast. English (Ireland) was an option on my device and the October update for Android was ready to download and install. Camera is not great in low indoor lighting, but I didn't change any settings. Will see how it is in natural daytime light. Tbh I don't use the camera a lot anyway, so not a big deal breaker for me. Overall a very nice phone for the money.

If you have any questions, fire away.

If you were to compare it to a more "mainstream" phone regarding its looks, performance etc what would it be? Or to put it another way how much more would a phone that you could get on the high street with the same specs cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Bahanaman wrote:
    If you were to compare it to a more "mainstream" phone regarding its looks, performance etc what would it be? Or to put it another way how much more would a phone that you could get on the high street with the same specs cost?

500 around I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭shannonman81

Didn't realise how dodgy they were... Went back over the posts and read about them.
    I'm pretty green when it comes to buying phones that aren't Samsung as I've stuck with them for years. This is the first phone whose screen I've cracked and I can't warrant forking out nearly 300 too get the screen replaced this close to Christmas.
    Honorbuy seems pretty legit?

I do like a big phone, camera not too important, processor speed is important and screen must be decent quality.

I'm open to any suggestions around the 150-180 maybe stretching to 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Redmi note 4 is the only job

Worth looking at the LeEco Max 2 and the LeEco Pro 3 too. They are a very well made phone and get very good reviews. The company ran into some financial trouble during the year due to launching in America and mispredicting sales. But that will not affect the phone. Unfortunately it has stopped some people from buying them, fortunately (for us) it may also be the reason that the prices are so good. I hope they continue.

The Ulefone Mix looks amazing. I hesitated because of the shipping date, but it is already November.
    https://deals.banggood.com/deals/edm/topic/uleMix170925.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Suckit wrote: »
    Worth looking at the LeEco Max 2 and the LeEco Pro 3 too. They are a very well made phone and get very good reviews. The company ran into some financial trouble during the year due to launching in America and mispredicting sales. But that will not affect the phone. Unfortunately it has stopped some people from buying them, fortunately (for us) it may also be the reason that the prices are so good. I hope they continue.

Totally disagree as a LeEco owner.

ED E wrote: »

Why ? Certainly seems to be a suspiciously well spec'd phone for that price

Suppliers are still not being paid, so essentially you're getting a good deal based on theft.

LeEco is going to fold, not just the US arm.

Camera module failures
    Fingerprint failures
    No continuous AF
    EUI has its issues and non EUI based roms all have some critical flaw or other
    Was sold as LTE CAT12 but may not be

Recently some x850/950s have appeared but many suspect thats a fire sale to recoup some cash before the full implosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

b4dr1 wrote: »
    @gooner99 - was the phone packed brand new in the box or was it opened and tested prior to shipping?

The phone was in a sealed box. So highly unlikely that it had been opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Bahanaman wrote: »

The Mi A1 is a very nice phone. Pretty premium looking and the specs are great for the money and nice and fast. I expect the battery to last me 1-2 days depending on usage. I was tempted by the Nokia 6 on three prepay, but the specs weren't as good, lesser chip, ram and storage. Only other phones in that bracket that we're tempting me were the Moto g5 range or the Xiaomi note 4. Stock Android was a big factor for me. Very happy and no issues with it so far.

ED E wrote: »
    Everywhere else i am reading about the quality being excellent. Also that it is why they were so confident when they entered the U.S.
    They went in (allegedly) with some top quality products and were hoping that would help boost the sales.
    Anyway, i am only going by what i have read specifically about those two models, and i do not have one, so i will leave it there. I know about their financial issues.

I am looking at two phones at the minute. I have had a few Xiaomi, a Meizu, Elephone, a Blackview and a couple of others. Blackview phone that i had was €60 or thereabouts and was just for messing about with. It was surprisingly good.
    Anyway, the reason i mention that is, i am now looking at the Oukitel K3 and the Ulefone Mix and wanted to hear from anyone that has had eithe brand. I have no experience with either, and i was just about to pull the trigger on the Ulefone Mix on e-fox-shop and decided to hold off an read some more.
    On paper it looks like an amazing piece of kit, but i can not find any decent reviews about any Ulefone model. The short reviews that i have now read, all seem to say Ulefone are a terrible make, that they lie about their battery life, have dummy camera lenses (as second lense) and other poor quality features. But some of those comments were just from posters who did not perform any actual hardware tests or open the phones.

On the other end of the scale, every review or post i read about Oukitel seems to be very positive. Happy users, great quality and super battery life etc.
    I am pretty sure that i have now made up my mind and will go for the Oukitel, i was just curious if anybody has had any phone from either brand, and what they thought of them..

The two phones compared on Kimovil
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/oukitel-k3,ulefone-mix

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

I'm looking at HK Goldway, Honorbuy and eGlobal for the MiA1. Not a huge price difference between any of them, obviously delivery is a day or two quicker with one over another.
    Any point in waiting til the 11th? Will there be much more of a saving to be made? If it's only 10/20 quid then I'd order now.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Suckit wrote: »
    Everywhere else i am reading about the quality being excellent. Also that it is why they were so confident when they entered the U.S.
    They went in (allegedly) with some top quality products and were hoping that would help boost the sales.
    Anyway, i am only going by what i have read specifically about those two models, and i do not have one, so i will leave it there. I know about their financial issues.

I am looking at two phones at the minute. I have had a few Xiaomi, a Meizu, Elephone, a Blackview and a couple of others. Blackview phone that i had was €60 or thereabouts and was just for messing about with. It was surprisingly good.
    Anyway, the reason i mention that is, i am now looking at the Oukitel K3 and the Ulefone Mix and wanted to hear from anyone that has had eithe brand. I have no experience with either, and i was just about to pull the trigger on the Ulefone Mix on e-fox-shop and decided to hold off an read some more.
    On paper it looks like an amazing piece of kit, but i can not find any decent reviews about any Ulefone model. The short reviews that i have now read, all seem to say Ulefone are a terrible make, that they lie about their battery life, have dummy camera lenses (as second lense) and other poor quality features. But some of those comments were just from posters who did not perform any actual hardware tests or open the phones.

On the other end of the scale, every review or post i read about Oukitel seems to be very positive. Happy users, great quality and super battery life etc.
    I am pretty sure that i have now made up my mind and will go for the Oukitel, i was just curious if anybody has had any phone from either brand, and what they thought of them..

The two phones compared on Kimovil
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/oukitel-k3,ulefone-mix

I love my Oukitel cant fault it tbh.

I love my Oukitel cant fault it tbh.

Do they produce any phones with snapdragon processors ? I love the idea of a big battery

What are the main objections to Mediatek ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Do they produce any phones with snapdragon processors ? I love the idea of a big battery

What are the main objections to Mediatek ?

GPS used to be the main issue with Mediatek chips, but I think it may have been sorted with their newer chips, but am not sure on that.

dedaw wrote: »
    I'm looking at HK Goldway, Honorbuy and eGlobal for the MiA1. Not a huge price difference between any of them, obviously delivery is a day or two quicker with one over another.
    Any point in waiting til the 11th? Will there be much more of a saving to be made? If it's only 10/20 quid then I'd order now.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't expect there to be much if any saving tbh. 218 is what it cost me from HK GOLDWAY, I think someone here posted that they got it for 195 all in, but that could not be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

GPS used to be the main issue with Mediatek chips, but I think it may have been sorted with their newer chips, but am not sure on that.

GPS on mine is perfect.

Qualcomm have QC up their sleeves still but its coming closer.

Apple > Qualcomm > MTK / Helios(Huawei)

Interesting to see what happens now that BC are buying QC (who knew BC had that kinda cash!).

• Advertisement

Has anyone found a good edge to edge glass screen protector for the Note 4 ? Two good ones on youtube, Chevron & Graphene but both only available in India

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement