Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

Raoul wrote: »
    Would be great if someone could give me a hand. Looking for a phone with the following specs:
    4g bands for 3 (800 and 1800 MHz)
    Good camera
    Good battery (better than 3000mAh)
    NFC
    FM-Radio is a plus but seems a lot of phones don't offer that now.
    Also it would be nice if there was a good xda community for troubleshooting and rooting.

I'm coming from a Nubia z9 mini which has served me well for near 3 years.

Then price range is less than €300.

LeEco Le Pro 3 X720 is the best that kimovil has thrown up for me. Never heard of that brand though but it has very good reviews.

Looks like NFC pushes the price up quite a bit. What's my best option if I drop NFC and I am willing to drop FM radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

As I suspected/feared the Note 5 is not looking like having a release date this year. Looks like early next year for China and then rest of the world to follow.

Should I opt now for a Note 4 rather than waiting? I'm guessing we are talking March time (?) before it will be accessible in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

fixxxer wrote: »
    I'm in Dun laoghaire. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Appreciate it lad but I'm based in Knocklyon and on the lates all week in work.
    I'm going to upload the rom onto my google drive if anybody local would like to have a bash at this now. I followed all Instructions without joy and they are outright refusing to refund or repair the phone.

How can Aliexpress get away with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dunno if it's already been covered in this thread folks, but I got the mother in law a little Cubot Rainbow earlier in the year, and its absolutely riddled with malware.

She asked me about it earlier, told me she was besieged with ads, redirects etc etc etc and would I call over some evening and fix it.

From the little research I did this evening, malware infecting these particular handsets seems to be a very common issue, with suggestions the phones are being sold with the malware pre-installed, which then lays dormant for a few months before activating itself.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I will have a look for a solution for her, but I fear bar I locate a custom, malware free rom somewhere, that this might be a recurring problem for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Dunno if it's already been covered in this thread folks, but I got the mother in law a little Cubot Rainbow earlier in the year, and its absolutely riddled with malware.

Try this (For Rainbow 2)
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/root-twrp-cubot-rainbow-2-t3612133

I think this is for the Cubot Rainbow 1
    https://www.needrom.com/download/twrp-cubot-rainbow/#

And remove all the offending software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How reliable are Geekbuying ? They are only estimating €4 DHL 2 day delivery from their Spain warehouse.

How would Honourbuy rate in comparison ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Discodog wrote: »
    How reliable are Geekbuying ? They are only estimating €4 DHL 2 day delivery from their Spain warehouse.

Reliable as in they won't screw you over?

Sound in my experiences

Never used honourbuy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Been following this thread for more than a year now and still haven't made the plunge into the Chinese market. Have been humming and hawing over the note 4 for god knows how long. Now wondering about the a1! Such a chicken...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Been following this thread for more than a year now and still haven't made the plunge into the Chinese market. Have been humming and hawing over the note 4 for god knows how long. Now wondering about the a1! Such a chicken...

Xiaomi have just opened a store in spain so it may be possible to purchase from there

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I used geekbuying with no issue

• Advertisement

ImARebel wrote: »
    I used geekbuying with no issue

It's the quote of €4 for 24/48 DHL that seems very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

914 wrote: »
    Xiaomi have just opened a store in spain so it may be possible to purchase from there

Any news yet on whether they ship to Ireland or UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They don't open the Spanish store till tomorrow

http://event.mi.com/es/live2017/changethegame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

GBX wrote: »
    They don't open the Spanish store till tomorrow

http://event.mi.com/es/live2017/changethegame

According to that link it's the 7th which is today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Discodog wrote:

Discodog wrote:

Used both for various things without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I watched the live show earlier on. Products go on sale in Spain from 13:00 local time tomorrow, so 12:00 for us. I can't remember the full list, but definitely amazon.es was listed as one of their retailers. Assuming Amazon match the list of products available in store then from memory the initial products will be A1, MiMax 2, MiBand2, that electric scooter and a few other older phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

1pm tomorrow.

It says free shipping, but don't know if that's to anywhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭corkie

【News】Xiaomi makes its debut in Spain, its first entry into Western Europe

Xiaomi is partnering with Ingram Micro and AliExpress to distribute, market and support its highly innovative products in Spain. Other than its own e-commerce site http://www.mi.com/es, for the very first time, AliExpress (http://www.aliexpress.com) will launch official stores where official Xiaomi products will be sold. Xiaomi’s range of products will also be available online and offline in Spain via Amazon, Carrefour, MediaMarkt and Phone House.

No longer be able to say that Xiaomi do not have an official store on aliexpress.

Xiaomi’s range of products will be available in Spain starting 8 November at 1p.m. on all online channels including Xiaomi’s own http://www.mi.com/es, AliExpress and Amazon, as well as the online sites of retailers including Carrefour, MediaMarkt and Phone House. They will be available on 11 November at the two Authorized Mi Stores at La Vaguada and Madrid Xanadú. The rest of the offline channels, namely Carrefour, MediaMarkt and Phone House, will start selling Xiaomi’s products on 22 November.

For more information about the products coming to Spain, visit http://www.mi.com/es.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭iba

There are a few stores on Ali that say they are the official store.
    Hopefully Amazon Spain will ship here for free or reasonable cost. Or we could just all Ryanair over to Madrid. I'm really tempted by the scooter.
    Btw I write this on a Mi5S plus bought from Ali. Oh, and I believe the plan is to open 200 stores worldwide. World domination beckon.

Any chance of them selling the mi 6 or mi 5s via spain???

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The mi6 still has that 4g band 20 issue.

Thats true i presume any devices on sale will meet all 4g requirements such as the miA1.

4g isn't a deal breaker for myself so the mi6 is tempting me, although I'd say purchase a mi 5s if I can find it in black! (Not the prime version as thats almost the same price as the mi6)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

It's the quote of €4 for 24/48 DHL that seems very low.

I paid 4.03 I went back and checked my invoice

No issues and was here within a week (from Italy)

I emailed Xiaomi Spain asking the price & delivery cost for the MiA1 & Note 4. I got the following reply. It was in Spanish - google translate.

First thank you very much for your favorite and attention ng Xiaomi products.
    Our sales activities will be published for the first time on our website, http://www.mi.com/es/ , please prevail official information activities.
    I hope est appy with my service attitude.
    A greeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Did you check the site??

http://www.mi.com/es/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I emailed Xiaomi Spain asking the price & delivery cost for the MiA1 & Note 4. I got the following reply. It was in Spanish - google translate.

First thank you very much for your favorite and attention ng Xiaomi products.
    Our sales activities will be published for the first time on our website, http://www.mi.com/es/ , please prevail official information activities.
    I hope est appy with my service attitude.
    A greeting.

Mi A1 is on the site at 229 (not sure about shipping charges), but even at the 229 it is dearer than buying from HK GOLDWAY on Aliexpress etc. :confused:

eamonnq wrote: »
    Mi A1 is on the site at 229 (not sure about shipping charges), but even at the 229 it is dearer than buying from HK GOLDWAY on Aliexpress etc. :confused:

Now showing the Note 4 on the site. Personally I would pay a small premium to buy direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Now showing the Note 4 on the site. Personally I would pay a small premium to buy direct.
    Warranty-wise my preference would be to buy from Amazon assuming they ship here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Cheapest I can find online is AliExpress (Mi Global Store), but with the DHL fee of €23 to avoid customs it works out at €195.
    We'll find out at lunch time what they are charging for it. I've given up waiting on the Note 5.
    Anyone find a cheaper price that €195 with promised no customs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I probably would too, but if there is a shipping charge on top of their price, it might be more than a SMALL premium !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement