Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bertson

Hi Folks;
    Great thread and advice.
    I am looking for a cost effective (€150 max) option for a 2nd phone (iphone for work:(). Lots of options on kimovil.com and one in particular seems to have good reviews etc. I am looking for max RAM, Camera, Storage etc)
    - Xiaomi Redmi 4X
    Anyone any experience with this phone, also any advice on using ebay v aliexpress, for example this one in ebay ships from the UK
    Thanks 
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

bertson wrote: »
    Hi Folks;
    Great thread and advice.
    I am looking for a cost effective (€150 max) option for a 2nd phone (iphone for work:(). Lots of options on kimovil.com and one in particular seems to have good reviews etc. I am looking for max RAM, Camera, Storage etc)
    - Xiaomi Redmi 4X
    Anyone any experience with this phone, also any advice on using ebay v aliexpress, for example this one in ebay ships from the UK
    Thanks
    B

It is often mentioned on this thread, Xiaomi are (at this stage) a very well known brand and that is a decent phone. It may be better to order it from a store though. For example
    https://www.honorbuy.com/181-xiaomi-redmi-4x
    https://www.geekbuying.com/search?keyword=redmi%204x%20global

By choosing an EU wrehouse you will not have any extra fees to pay at your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

I own the xiaomi redmi note 4x bought from honorbuy. Cannot fault it and in six months now two updates from miui 7 to 8 and yesterday to 9 what now matches the latest Android version, I think.
    Next time I will choose a bigger version with more storage and a better camera. But this is my personal preference, but I will stay with xiaomi as the brand offers great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

For my own reference point, I've curently got the following sitting in checkouts. Looking for a Xiaomi Note 4 4/64 in Grey.

AliExpress: €176. €156 + €20 DHL Shipping (includes a case)

The Solution Shop: €192. €183 + €8.50 Eu Tax prepaid

mi.com/es: Unable to obtain a price.

Where else should I be looking and has anyone else found a price on mi.com?
    I think I read a few pages back that Amazon are not selling the Note 4 to UK/Ire.

Any reason to avoid the AliExpress shop at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Suckit wrote: »
    Hi Folks;
    Great thread and advice.
    - Xiaomi Redmi 4X
    Thanks
    B

It is often mentioned on this thread, Xiaomi are (at this stage) a very well known brand and that is a decent phone. It may be better to order it from a store though. For example
    https://www.honorbuy.com/181-xiaomi-redmi-4x
    https://www.geekbuying.com/search?keyword=redmi%204x%20global

By choosing an EU wrehouse you will not have any extra fees to pay at your door.

Looking for a new phone for an 83 year old and I'm pretty ignorant of what to look out for, however on the surface the phone in the link might fit the bill. Are Honourbuy reputable and would there be any issues getting that phone to work with bands in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

For my own reference point, I've curently got the following sitting in checkouts. Looking for a Xiaomi Note 4 4/64 in Grey.

I think I read a few pages back that Amazon are not selling the Note 4 to UK/Ire.

It depends on what store the Aliexpress store is. Some do not include taxes with shipping.

Xiaomi Spain are shipping to Ireland via Amazon but it is €199 before shipping https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-Redmi-pantalla-Versi%C3%B3n-Espa%C3%B1ola/dp/B076VHJ8CZ/

In 17 hours it will be €168.81 + €22.94 DHL = €191.75 (No fees) from here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32833356659.html

Most Chinese stores are having sales starting at 6pm (or 7pm) tonight. Might get lucky at one of them.
    Geekbuying, Tomtop, Joybuy, Banggood etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭corkie

You didn't say which alliexpress store? If Hong Kong Goldway (maybe others) have VAT free with DHL Shipping.

TSS -- Gives a 2 year warranty compared to non existent warranty with AliE...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think the warranty is worth it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

SM01 wrote: »
    Looking for a new phone for an 83 year old and I'm pretty ignorant of what to look out for, however on the surface the phone in the link might fit the bill. Are Honourbuy reputable and would there be any issues getting that phone to work with bands in Ireland?

Yes those phones work, just band 20 is not always included what means that outside of towns you only will get 3g instead of 4g. Global versions mostly have it. Else there is a website called https://willmyphonework.net where you can check it.
    Honorbuy is listed at the first page here as reliable, I ordered twice and both times got the phone within three working days.
    And for the 80 year old it depends on sight and how well typing on a screen is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

Hi guys,

Just wondering has anyone purchased the Xiaomi mi6? Thinking of purchasing, I know it doesn't have all the LTE bands but thats not an issue to me.

If anyone has purchased it you might let me know how your getting on with it. Camera, battery life and ease of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Hi Folks;
    Great thread and advice.
    - Xiaomi Redmi 4X
    Thanks 
    B

I love my Oukitel u16 even dropped it on hard ground and not a scratch.

Sorry should have said: Xiaomi Mi Store. Ad specifically states no customs duty with DHL.

What is the warranty worth anyway - I know it is not much in terms of money, but what does these warranties actually cover? The things that actually go wrong - screen breakages, drop damage, spillage are probably not covered so what is there to gain?

Sorry should have said: Xiaomi Mi Store. Ad specifically states no customs duty with DHL.

What is the warranty worth anyway - I know it is not much in terms of money, but what does these warranties actually cover? The things that actually go wrong - screen breakages, drop damage, spillage are probably not covered so what is there to gain?

Well your phone could just die unexpectedly or the battery is awful or the screen has some weird malfunction. Very rare that it happens but still it is nice to be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Got one of these also. Very pleased. I'm coming from the smart ultra 6 & it's as fast. Battery life is excellent, getting up to two days. The only thing I works say is the camera isn't great. Colours are off a bit but fine for whatapp etc. But for a 6 inch phone & roughly €140 I'm not complaining.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Got one of these also. Very pleased. I'm coming from the smart ultra 6 & it's as fast. Battery life is excellent, getting up to two days. The only thing I works say is the camera isn't great. Colours are off a bit but fine for whatapp etc. But for a 6 inch phone & roughly €140 I'm not complaining.

Sorry mines a U11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I just ordered my Note 4 from Geekbuying. Came to €176 including 2 day DHL & extra insurance. Shipping from Italy so no duty.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Gray-387834.html

Discodog wrote: »
    I just ordered my Note 4 from Geekbuying. Came to €176 including 2 day DHL & extra insurance. Shipping from Italy so no duty.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Gray-387834.html

Pretty good. Want the black myself (the shop solution is looking the best option at the moment). Going to see if anything happens with the sales tomorrow before buying though.

Raoul wrote: »
    Pretty good. Want the black myself (the shop solution is looking the best option at the moment). Going to see if anything happens with the sales tomorrow before buying though. Did you get a case?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MS2VR4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suspect that the black may be reduced when the offer on the grey expires. The gold was discounted, then the grey so maybe black is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Anyone recommend a cover or case for the mi a1?

Have the a1 over a week now and I really like it. So far so good.

Anyone getting 11.11 emails? Those feckers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I know you said later on yours is a U11 but I have a Oukitel U16 for the last 2 months and I find it great. Love the big screen. Bought it for 120 euro from Tinydeal Germany.

gn3dr wrote: »
    I know you said later on yours is a U11 but I have a Oukitel U16 for the last 2 months and I find it great. Love the big screen. Bought it for 120 euro from Tinydeal Germany.

Oukitels are great phones tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yep. I took a punt on a u13. Doing great so far. They are sturdy units. Specs are half decent and can be got cheap enough too.

Do you still need a screen protector with the Note 4 - considering that it is a curved screen? Do they offer much protection?
    Or do you all just get one of these TPU cases covering the back of the device?

Just had an online chat with Justine from the Solution Shop. Their Note (SKU: 3116) comes with a screen protector and case.
    Along with a UK based seller and a 2yr warranty, is this a better deal than the AliExpress deals today?

Do you still need a screen protector with the Note 4 - considering that it is a curved screen? Do they offer much protection?
    Or do you all just get one of these TPU cases covering the back of the device?

Just had an online chat with Justine from the Solution Shop. Their Note (SKU: 3116) comes with a screen protector and case.
    Along with a UK based seller and a 2yr warranty, is this a better deal than the AliExpress deals today?

I ordered a glass one after watching the reviews on youtube.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mofi-For-Xiaomi-Series-Phone-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-Full-Coverage/382231573736?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=651061896795&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I considered them but I didn't think that their warranty was worth the extra. Geekbuying Italy only charge € 4 for DHL

Does that protector cover the full curved edges too? Most of those on Aliexpress only cover the flat surface - which seems like a bollox of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

homer911 wrote: »
    Looks like a good value phone. Specs are grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Dual sim working okay? And I mean is it proper dual sim so calls/texts/data on either one without having to go into settings and swap between the two like you do on those dual sim adapters. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Anyone seen any 11.11 deals on the Xiaomi A1 ? (either EU seller or guaranteed customs paid, preferably)

It's $245.81 here with coupons applied - about €212 on revolut..
    I haven't been closely following prices - is that a good deal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement